Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
They're dreaming in there. It makes sense they'd all behave differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Famine Poodle posted:

They're dreaming in there. It makes sense they'd all behave differently.

Maybe Ymir was just doing it wrong, because I'd love to endlessly dream about being Dio.

Freakazoid_ posted:

background titans have always had an unusual amount of personality, despite being walking flesh prisons

same

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 7, 2019

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
EDIT: God dammit quote is not edit. I'm so sorry.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

background titans have always had an unusual amount of personality, despite being walking flesh prisons

Before they were horrifying, now they're funny and horrifying. It's all in the presentation.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

These two eps have been awesome. I was thinking how frustrating it must have been to be building to this huge opening for the battle and having production issues tank the pay off for the staff. On the other hand, I totally under stand how they could get through the last arc and be like "gently caress, we do not have enough time to hit this out of the park like we need to" and facing up to the fact they just have to split it.

Did we ever get an official explanation about what happened? I feel like everyone only realized things were off when that last ep aired, and then confirming it the next week when nothing showed up.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
WIT is never not burning the candle at both ends, they're infamous for their terrible project management.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Only just found out 2 eps of this have come out. Expect some gifs soon, this poo poo is still on point for goosebump-inducing awesome oners.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kyte posted:

WIT is never not burning the candle at both ends, they're infamous for their terrible project management.

Any sources on that? I think AoT is the only WIT show I follow, aside from the upcoming VInland Saga adaptation.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There was that time in AoT S2 I think where an episode was delivered so close to airing some stations got an unfinished version.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DamnGlitch posted:

Any sources on that? I think AoT is the only WIT show I follow, aside from the upcoming VInland Saga adaptation.
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/tag/attack-on-titan/

It's a recurrent thing whenever they talk about AoT's production and WIT in general, although I couldn't point you at any specific article talking about it.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Kyte posted:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/tag/attack-on-titan/

It's a recurrent thing whenever they talk about AoT's production and WIT in general, although I couldn't point you at any specific article talking about it.

I believe a heavy portion of the staff is focusing on the Attack on Trains movie, while also having to work on Vinland Saga and Attack on Titan.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

psyer posted:

I believe a heavy portion of the staff is focusing on the Attack on Trains movie, while also having to work on Vinland Saga and Attack on Titan.

Wait... Are they making another season of katamari of the iron fortress or whatever it was?

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

Wait... Are they making another season of katamari of the iron fortress or whatever it was?

Yeah they are making the Attack on Trains movie that would be released soon.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's not just the kabaneri movie, all seasons had anecdotes of things going to hell or almost doing so. Sindai's anecdote was a particularly extreme version. The ep when Eren delivers the rock to block the wall had some purple debris because they literally hadn't finished when they delivered.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Yeah that episode was amazing.

S2 was pretty solid quality throughout, however.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Kyte posted:

It's not just the kabaneri movie, all seasons had anecdotes of things going to hell or almost doing so. Sindai's anecdote was a particularly extreme version. The ep when Eren delivers the rock to block the wall had some purple debris because they literally hadn't finished when they delivered.

That was S1. AoT S1 was their first big production, their first big hit, and their production inexperience showed. Lots of great animation talent but the connective tissue couldn't hold it together.

The huge gap between S1 and S2 was enough time for WIT's weaknesses to shake out.

There were a ton of improvements with S2 as well. The collapse from 2 cours to 1 cour also helped to keep the pacing brisk, Isayama seemed to have exerted more authorial control to keep the adaptation more faithful (there were a number of scenes from S1 that were unfaithful in a way fans didn't agree with), and he also gave the go-ahead to tease a number of elements from much further ahead in the manga (in moments of pure fanservice).

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
drat. :stare:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Reiner is loving bullshit

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Oh hey, just as we were talking about that episode, here it is again from a different perspective!

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I have to stop myself from posting just "this show is loving great" every week.

But god drat this show is loving great

I thought it was uncharacteristic of Hange and Armin that they saw Reiner with most of his body intact and didn't immediately go for a double tap... wtf

Also, I wonder if Hange is just dead like that? She's narrowly avoided death a few times. I couldn't ID her body in the preview, so I'm hoping she's still alive.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh poo poo, is it that time already? I look forward to the POV’s of people experiencing this part of the story for the first time.
I actually haven’t read the manga since last July, I had a bunch of personal poo poo happen with taking care of my family, and at the time did NOT need a story as dark as this, especially since every other character has horrible parents, or their parents dying horribly (Double points for Historia!). So I’m in a weird place where this is one of the few places I can enjoy my favorite anime without fear of being spoiled. :neckbeard:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I thought it was uncharacteristic of Hange and Armin that they saw Reiner with most of his body intact and didn't immediately go for a double tap... wtf
I hope this is just an editing problem where it seemed like they were standing around forever, because their assumption was very strange given how paranoid they should have been.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
On the one hand, you would think they'd be paranoid about ridiculous titan shifter powers being revealed out of nowhere. On the other hand "he survived having his brain exploded by shifting his mind into his nervous sustem" is exceptionally ridiculous even for titan shifters.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Yeah that's true. I guess you could say that they thought it was safe if the brain stem was destroyed.

On the other hand... they were close enough to see him survive Levi cutting his head off and stabbing him through the torso though.

I dunno. It's frustrating though, these bastards are like cockroaches.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Reiner always survives his close calls, just like how Levi always wins his fights, and Eren always has to get bailed.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I always read that scene as a combination of course brain death = death, but also the fact that they were so conditioned that death of a titan’s neck is the sure way to kill them. Honestly, I know the author was trying to convey that the other shifters know a lot of Titan mysteries that puts them at a deadly advantage, but Reiners non-death is really a bullshit move from a readers perspective.
I haven’t read far enough yet, but I am curious if it’ll later be explained to be less bullshitty; like Mikasa and Eren being able to overpower and kill 3 adults when they were 9 because of her being an Ackerman, and Eren having some kind of a coordinate/scream power because his father stole it from the royal family and forced it on to him.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Catalina posted:

like Mikasa and Eren being able to overpower and kill 3 adults when they were 9 because of her being an Ackerman

This was pretty much Eren alone. Mikasa awakened her powers just in time to stab the last bandit in the back. The same kid, whom we saw getting his rear end handed by some teenagers several years later, murders two bandits like a serial killer in the retrospection. This is my least favourite moment in the entire story.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

He got one by surprise in the throat, and then ambushed the other one. It's not like he rushed to take them both on at once, like he does the group of teens. It's a bit out there, but I don't think it's super crazy in the grand scheme of things

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Catalina posted:

Oh poo poo, is it that time already? I look forward to the POV’s of people experiencing this part of the story for the first time.

Why is that? I haven't read the manga. No spoilers!

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

He got one by surprise in the throat, and then ambushed the other one. It's not like he rushed to take them both on at once, like he does the group of teens. It's a bit out there, but I don't think it's super crazy in the grand scheme of things

It pretty much counters not only what we know about 9 years old kids, but also what the author establishes about Eren. He's not a good fighter. Even if he wins, it's mostly because of his rage and perseverance. Until his first fight with Reiner, his entire tactics is screaming and trying to punch and kick the enemy to death; he tries this several times before he realizes it's not going to work with the Armored Titan. He constantly has to be bailed out because of the habit of rushing blindly to the fight, taking too much at once and getting his rear end handed to him.

Except for this one particular scene, where he manages to outsmart three hardened criminals despite being a child who never fought anyone before

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
They were very inept human traffickers, okay?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

They were very inept human traffickers, okay?

Given that one of them gets chewed out for killing Mikasa's mom, I'm going with this.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Alan_Shore posted:

A lot of exciting things are going to happen this season, and I'm going to guess that like me, Catalina is excited to see everyone react to what is one of the more momentous arcs in the series - I mean they're dangling the basement right there!

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

Without spoiling anything, I'll just reveal the results of a "favourite arc" poll among manga readers.

Arc 1 (Battle of Trost - Season 1): 2%
Arc 2 (Female Titan - Season 1): 2%
Arc 3 (Clash of Titans - Season 2): 5%
Arc 4 (Uprising - Season 3 Part 1): 5%
Arc 5 (Return to Shiganshina - Current): 41%
Arc 6 (Next one - leaving it unnamed due to minor spoilers): 45%

So basically, the anime is just now getting into the best parts of the story. It's going to be incredible.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What "Act" is the manga up to now?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Alan_Shore posted:

There’s no way in hell I would spoil anything for anyone at this point, especially people who have waited six years to get to this arc. I promise!
One of my favorite things about Attack on Titan is how planned the story is from the beginning, and how the scenes can be read differently after every arc. For instance, in the opening episode, on the first reading, you see Colossal Titan and Armored Titan knocking down the wall and committing mass murder. After the Battle of Trost Arc, you know that they were most likely human controlled shifters. After the clash of the titans arc, if you see or think of that scene, it’s like, “holy poo poo that was Reiner and Bertholdt” and are left with a lot of lingering questions.
This arc is exciting and amazing, and it’s fun to see people see it for the first time, and it’s also fun to see people put together theories and try to guess what’s going on. But most of all, to see people notice things that are part of a larger picture later.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Kitiara posted:

Without spoiling anything, I'll just reveal the results of a "favourite arc" poll among manga readers.

Arc 1 (Battle of Trost - Season 1): 2%
Arc 2 (Female Titan - Season 1): 2%
Arc 3 (Clash of Titans - Season 2): 5%
Arc 4 (Uprising - Season 3 Part 1): 5%
Arc 5 (Return to Shiganshina - Current): 41%
Arc 6 (Next one - leaving it unnamed due to minor spoilers): 45%

So basically, the anime is just now getting into the best parts of the story. It's going to be incredible.

To coin a phrase from Joseph Joestar (as my friend just got me into Jojo and I binged 80 episodes in 2 weeks):

HOLY poo poo

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mordja posted:

I'd say arc 8.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

The manga is fully in the final act of the story and is very near the endgame, if not already in the middle of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mordja posted:

Final one.

There's 5, maybe 9 chapters left (monthly releases).