Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Labes for days posted:

It also bothers me that you never see him giving orders to other Force Captains. Like there’s gotta be more than two but you don’t even see him giving orders to a bunch of nameless ones along with Catra and Scorpia.

I think it’s been mentioned before but this show is good at personal interactions but not so good at making it seem like the Horde is enormous and an actual threat.

Psst.

Outside of Shadow Weaver the Horde is a clown show run by a guy who’s only scary because he has a bunch of rickety tech from his home world hanging around.

If he didn’t have access to an instant win lever Scorpia would eventually crash through a wall koolaid man style and kick the poo poo out of him for hurting her wildcat. :killdozer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

One of the old show's Horde lieutenants (Grizzlor, the hairy monster man) has had multiple unvoiced cameo appearances now, which would stick out less if he wasn't one of like, six actual remaining Horde characters with a distinct design.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Android Blues posted:

One of the old show's Horde lieutenants (Grizzlor, the hairy monster man) has had multiple unvoiced cameo appearances now, which would stick out less if he wasn't one of like, six actual remaining Horde characters with a distinct design.

I have horrible trait of only using netflex as background noise, did I miss him or has Mantenna seriously not shown up once? He was punchline but like the main lackey in my memories of the old one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh god, I just got to the episodes with Bows dads.

They are adorable, and I love how one of them is just classic Bow.

EDIT: What? that was the end of the season? Awe Man. And I know people love Catra, but she's such a user and abuser I can't feel sorry for her.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 12, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh god, I just got to the episodes with Bows dads.

They are adorable, and I love how one of them is just classic Bow.

EDIT: What? that was the end of the season? Awe Man. And I know people love Catra, but she's such a user and abuser I can't feel sorry for her.

She’s an abused product of her environment that’s colossally in over her head and will ultimately be saved by the love of a good insectoid :hai:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chokes McGee posted:

She’s an abused product of her environment that’s colossally in over her head and will ultimately be saved by the love of a good insectoid :hai:

Scorpia's too good for her.

okay were they saying PEACE or BEAST island? I could have sword I heard some people say one and others say the other.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Beast

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
the awe inspiring terror of PEACE ISLAND

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Don't worry, it's just a name.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Shadow Weaver would probably hate Peace Island even more than Beast Island though. Throw some snarling monsters at her and she’s fine; throw some hippies with their drum circles and yoga at her and she’s having flashbacks to Mystacor.

Fellbat posted:

I have horrible trait of only using netflex as background noise, did I miss him or has Mantenna seriously not shown up once? He was punchline but like the main lackey in my memories of the old one.

He’s never going to show up because, again, the Evil Horde is window dressing for a story about overcoming abuse and loss and Entrapta shenanigans.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Arachnid. :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Labes for days posted:

Shadow Weaver would probably hate Peace Island even more than Beast Island though. Throw some snarling monsters at her and she’s fine; throw some hippies with their drum circles and yoga at her and she’s having flashbacks to Mystacor.

He’s never going to show up because, again, the Evil Horde is window dressing for a story about overcoming abuse and loss and Entrapta shenanigans.

Who keeps scraeming at me to get over shenanigans. show yourself coward

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Labes for days posted:

That's exactly what I thought. All these super evil Horde people would wish for death if they were sent to an island that was nothing but peace and tranquility.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Elfface posted:

Don't worry, it's just a name.

It's actually a peninsula!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gaz-L posted:

It's actually a peninsula!

*terry Gilliam’s boxer slugs you from offscreen*

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Friend was asking me "so it seems like everyone is in same sex relationships, so where do babies come from?"

My guess, Eggs.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Baby island. Duh.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Friend was asking me "so it seems like everyone is in same sex relationships, so where do babies come from?"

My guess, Eggs.

The gays have become just that powerful.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ManlyGrunting posted:

The gays have become just that powerful.

I am pretty cool with that.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

There are obviously straight people reproducing, but they got killed so Shadow Weaver and Bow’s dads could adopt their children. So goes the cycle of life on Etheria.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Labes for days posted:

There are obviously straight people reproducing, but they got killed so Shadow Weaver and Bow’s dads could adopt their children. So goes the cycle of life on Etheria.

Huh, never thought of that. Shadoweavers former student guy will probably come back at some point. Though I thought it was funny that the Wizard School people were all "Well, we can't actually fight against this army thats invading the planet, its not our business".

It's awesome that a show as gay as this was able to do an episode about coming out that was also really good.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Android Blues posted:

In the old show, Hordak was actually just a backwater colonial governor, and the Horde was a massive intergalactic empire lead by an evil ghost called Horde Prime. Hordak was literally just some schmuck who was failing at keeping a conquered planet under control.

My personal favorite episode of 80's She-Ra is Horde Prime Takes a Holiday. It has Skeletor stealing a spaceship and the most ridiculous displays of She-ra and He-Man's powers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Huh, never thought of that. Shadoweavers former student guy will probably come back at some point. Though I thought it was funny that the Wizard School people were all "Well, we can't actually fight against this army thats invading the planet, its not our business".

It's awesome that a show as gay as this was able to do an episode about coming out that was also really good.

That was Glimmer's now-dead dad, King Micah.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

side_burned posted:

My personal favorite episode of 80's She-Ra is Horde Prime Takes a Holiday. It has Skeletor stealing a spaceship and the most ridiculous displays of She-ra and He-Man's powers.

I love that one too. The whole thing where She-Ra turns her sword into a grappling hook, hurls it into space, and abseils to a spaceship in orbit? It's so ridiculously silly, it's fantastic.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

side_burned posted:

That was a good one but the one with the cursed pie that made Hordak fade from existence and was basically an entire episode dedicated to other characters insulting him viciously as he dies was my personal favorite.

Of course that wouldn’t happen in the current series because 1. this Hordak’s not that stupid and 2. Entrapta would be bawling her eyes out because now who’s gonna bankroll her trip to outer space???

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Labes for days posted:

That was a good one but the one with the cursed pie that made Hordak fade from existence and was basically an entire episode dedicated to other characters insulting him viciously as he dies was my personal favorite.

Of course that wouldn’t happen in the current series because 1. this Hordak’s not that stupid and 2. Entrapta would be bawling her eyes out because now who’s gonna bankroll her trip to outer space???

I also love the one where a wizard's apprentice craves power, so he goes and apprentices himself to Shadow Weaver instead, which naturally proves to be a very bad idea. Original Shadow Weaver is honestly fantastic and occasionally transcends the sheer camp of the show. Hordak is just a snorting goofball, but Shadow Weaver is actually menacing.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Shadow Weaver is the best character in both shows imo. She is never funny or the butt of the joke or a fuckup. Nor is she anybody’s love interest. I can’t think of any other women from 80s cartoons who were like that, and honestly few even now. She is 100% malicious and predatory and evil and have I mentioned that I love her

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Madurai posted:

All those "Horde went in, never came out" stories were all barracks bullshit, and no one's ever actually gone in to test it until now.

I figured they are just deserting. They strip off their armor and lay it out like they were evaporated, then wander off to Princess Perfuma's territory and get high.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Labes for days posted:

Shadow Weaver is the best character in both shows imo. She is never funny or the butt of the joke or a fuckup. Nor is she anybody’s love interest. I can’t think of any other women from 80s cartoons who were like that, and honestly few even now. She is 100% malicious and predatory and evil and have I mentioned that I love her

In the last episode she played the manipulative parent perfectly.

Probably the most brutal scene of the show so far was when Catra came back to the empty cell and realised she had been used.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In the last episode she played the manipulative parent perfectly.

Probably the most brutal scene of the show so far was when Catra came back to the empty cell and realised she had been used.

It bothered me so very very much when I realized Catra kept petting Entrapta’s hair not because she’s a cat and that’s what cats do, but because that’s what Shadow Weaver does when she’s playing to those “such a good boy/girl, mommy is so proud of you” insecurities.

Has any other kid show gone this deep in exploring the relationship between a child and a narcissistic parent?

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Android Blues posted:

I love that one too. The whole thing where She-Ra turns her sword into a grappling hook, hurls it into space, and abseils to a spaceship in orbit? It's so ridiculously silly, it's fantastic.

:actually: It was He-Man that brought the grappling hook and threw it into space. She-Ra does turn her sword in to a shield to survive reentry so that was awesome.

The sequence where Skeltor has the spaceships engines going full blast while He-man use brute strength to keep it in orbit is delightful .

side_burned fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 14, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Labes for days posted:

2. Entrapta would be bawling her eyes out because now who’s gonna bankroll her trip to outer space???

Let me stop you right there. This is exactly how it would go:

Hordak: I AM MELTING AWAY DO SOMETHING
Entrapta: Faaaaaascinating :aaa:
Hordak: SERIOUSLY HELP ME Hel
Entrapta: This is... *sniffs* the most WONDERFUL day in my LIFE! Think of what we could learn studying this!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

twistedmentat posted:

okay were they saying PEACE or BEAST island? I could have sword I heard some people say one and others say the other.

I just really want season 2B/season 3/whatever to start with Catra asking this now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

"You know how the best shows are fascinating based on the strength of their villains? Why don't we just spend like 5-6 episodes hanging out with the bad guys and exploring their personalities while the good guys just... what the gently caress ever, it doesn't matter at all. Then, in the second half of the seas-"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just finished binging this season last night:

Pros:
1. Everything to do with Entrapta.
2. Snarky Swift Wind.
3. More development of Shadow Weaver's backstory, please.
4. Bow's *dads*.
5. Scorpia's crushing.
6. The not subtle dig at "classic" She-Ra during Bow's "battle planning."

Cons:
1. It's been two seasons and Hordak is still about as threatening villain-wise as the principal from Back to the Future.
2. Whatever the gently caress they're doing to Frosta.
3. Catra still being a one-note character.
4. I seriously don't care about this "First Ones" stuff. It's a plot anchor they're desperately clinging to and hopefully it finally develops into something concrete next season.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

wat

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also Frosta is the little sister who doesn't have friends, trying to impress her sister and her friends. Like, it's not hard.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hey Adora

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Also Frosta is the little sister who doesn't have friends, trying to impress her sister and her friends. Like, it's not hard.

She's also Glimmer as she was start of season 1 so Glimmer can see where her mother was coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
https://twitter.com/lauren_ash/status/1128764082461396992

Geena Davis is doing a role. Don't remember that character from the old cartoon, though.