Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also good lord has Gaudreau been bad. Please someone tell him it's not the playoffs anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Well poo poo. OT Goal for US. Well, at least we got a point out of this.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Thought Keller/Eichel/Kane were the US's best players. Keller was like the only US player who won any one on one battles. I can't get over how bad Gaudreau has been, good lord. Thank god Kreider finally realized the US were losing all their one on one battles and started playing like a grinder again.

Kakko has been insanely good. Like, Hughes hasn't gotten a lot of ice time which is expected given who the US brought, but there's no denying that Kakko has been absolutely incredible. I don't think Hughes has looked bad or anything with the ice time he's gotten, but I think if the Devils had any other GM but Shero this would be giving them pause right now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

T-Bone posted:

Thought Keller/Eichel/Kane were the US's best players. Keller was like the only US player who won any one on one battles. I can't get over how bad Gaudreau has been, good lord. Thank god Kreider finally realized the US were losing all their one on one battles and started playing like a grinder again.

Kakko has been insanely good. Like, Hughes hasn't gotten a lot of ice time which is expected given who the US brought, but there's no denying that Kakko has been absolutely incredible. I don't think Hughes has looked bad or anything with the ice time he's gotten, but I think if the Devils had any other GM but Shero this would be giving them pause right now.

Yeah I haven't been joking when I said that somehow I"d be legit disapointed if the Rangers end up with Hughes instead of Kakko.

It IS just one short tournament and all and the Devils could really really use a center instead of wing, but I guess we'll see

I like puck control guys like Kakko, though I think Hughes will be great at it in his own way as he matures

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

T-Bone posted:

zacha 2C is the only pause i need

Jack's play has been encouraging but Kakko's been terrific. The big ice also doesn't really play to Jack's strengths. You're not gonna be as elusive when opposing players have more room to operate.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

corn on the cop posted:

zacha 2C is the only pause i need

Jack's play has been encouraging but Kakko's been terrific. The big ice also doesn't really play to Jack's strengths. You're not gonna be as elusive when opposing players have more room to operate.

It's also great that Kakko is doing so well in a tournament with NHLers and all but he at least has been used to playing against pros, while Hughes hasn't been. It's not really surprising he looks better than Hughes in this tournament considering that and it's not really an indicator of how things might shake out once Hughes actually is able to adjust rather than being thrown onto a mess of a team with a bunch of NHL stars not playing a cohesive game together and Hughes getting small minutes

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

People keep mentioning Huges' ice time, but the stats shown during tonights game had him and Kakko playing nearly the same amount per game. I think one was ahead of the other by 10-20 seconds, but nothing major. Kakko does get PP-time though.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
they were pretty even the first two games but blashill pretty much buried hughes today. 9:24 to Kakko's 18:46.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

corn on the cop posted:

they were pretty even the first two games but blashill pretty much buried hughes today. 9:24 to Kakko's 18:46.
Fair enough. Where do you guys get your stats for the tourney by the way? IIHF site has gently caress all.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i managed to dissect the poo poo UI

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

corn on the cop posted:

i managed to dissect the poo poo UI

Oh yeah, now I get it. That's some amazing loving web design right there.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also watching the US, it's really a shame Matthews turned down the invite. Not that the collection of all-stars they have isn't capable of winning this thing, but they really could have used a non perimeter player to compliment their legions of elite perimeter players.

e: and Canada is down 1-0 to the Slovaks already after dominating the first three or four minutes and getting nothing from it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

e: and Canada is down 1-0 to the Slovaks already after dominating the first three or four minutes and getting nothing from it

2-0

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
good lord, 2-0

My theory on why Canada/US look so underwhelming so far is that the international game has become vastly different forecheck wise than the NHL game. The NHL is like a 90% pinch your D on the wall league now and it's super hard/risky to do that on the big ice because of the area that the D has to cover. Finland and Slovakia literally just sprint their D backwards and always keep a forward high, which is the optimal way to play the big ice, while the NA teams are used to playing two-three man pursuit pressure on the puck and almost always holding the wall which is a liability on the big ice.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Now Canada gooning it up

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
it is going to be funny when Canada finishes 4th and beats Russia in the QF tho

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

T-Bone posted:

good lord, 2-0

My theory on why Canada/US look so underwhelming so far is that the international game has become vastly different forecheck wise than the NHL game. The NHL is like a 90% pinch your D on the wall league now and it's super hard/risky to do that on the big ice because of the area that the D has to cover. Finland and Slovakia literally just sprint their D backwards and always keep a forward high, which is the optimal way to play the big ice, while the NA teams are used to playing two-three man pursuit pressure on the puck and almost always holding the wall which is a liability on the big ice.

these opening games also always seem to be the US and Canada looking like a complete disorganized mess with players just winging it out there, no game structure, etc. Seems like other countries take some of the prep and national team coaching more seriously and look more organized and ready for these tournaments

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

these opening games also always seem to be the US and Canada looking like a complete disorganized mess with players just winging it out there, no game structure, etc. Seems like other countries take some of the prep and national team coaching more seriously and look more organized and ready for these tournaments

it sounds dumb to say too but the Euro teams are playing like this is the NHL playoffs (their one on one battle level is Mad Max) and the NA teams are still playing like they don't want to get hurt

that was a nice goal by Mantha tho

McCann has looked quite good this tournament Pens fans. He has some chemistry with Mantha it looks like.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

2-2

Gonna go bad for Slovakia if they take penalties

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
it's good to see Severson making dumb mistakes for a team I don't like

(that call was weak af tho)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lol Severson

T-Bone posted:

it's good to see Severson making dumb mistakes for a team I don't like

(that call was weak af tho)

Seems like an IIHF call, they're more serious about dangerous hits than the NHL. It wasn't a "bad" boarding call but cross checking a guy in that spot while he is near the boards is pretty much boarding

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
S L O V A K I A ! :toot:

We are not bad at all. Maybe Canadians keep playing dirty. Fingers crossed.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I really do hate the big ice. The flow of the game is so much worse. It takes away the ability for defense to pinch as aggressively.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lmao canada

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
This is one hell of a game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Murray's not really making the big save Canada needs but man what are these chances Canada keeps giving up

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

annnnd Slovakia back to screwing themselves with dumb penalties

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
lol Kyle Turris is captain? but why....

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

Levitate posted:

annnnd Slovakia back to screwing themselves with dumb penalties

That's our gimmick. :smith:
But seriously I have never seen our team playing with Canada like this. Even if we gently caress up, this will be very memorable.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That's gotta come back I would think

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Zach Werenski is joining the USA squad

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

Zach Werenski is joining the USA squad

niiice.

(Jones would have been better, but still nice)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I love how chippy Stone is. He was like this in the Vegas series too. Goddamn he's a gamer

Angry Asian
May 24, 2006
*BOOMSHAKALAKA*
FIRE AV.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

that sucks for Slovakia but mean you give them a power play at the end of the game and you can't be that surprised...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Stone and Marchessault are just nasty. Why does Vegas have them

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Stone and Marchessault are just nasty. Why does Vegas have them

you can thank Eugene Melnyk and Dale Tallon, respectively, for being stupid as hell

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Landeskog added to Sweden. Their roster is looking quite good now, certainly capable of repeating again.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
british lads showing some solid stones in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

nice