Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Larryb posted:

Nope, in my case they just randomly got disabled while I was in the middle of browsing normally. Apparently a fix should be out for this by tomorrow though.

Okay, I guess I'm just really lucky then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I can in a few hours, I'm at work now

No need, I got it now. Everything ok after restarting the browser.

Now can someone please write a certificate management tool that developers will be shamed for not using?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I wonder how much of a bump in downloads PaleMoon and Waterfox are getting this weekend.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Larryb posted:

If you happen to be using an older version then this method worked for me:

Go to about :config

Find the line that says xpinstall.signatures.required and set it to false

All your addons will be immediately restored.

I did this after all my stuff vanished and it instantly fixed it for me. I'm using ESR.

felt weirdly naked for those 5 minutes with no addons.

J
Jun 10, 2001

endlessmonotony posted:

66.0.4 is out for those brave enough to try it.

Will be on automatic update shortly assuming nothing weird happens.

I just updated to 66.0.4 since all the other workarounds didn't do poo poo for me and this fixed it.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

J posted:

I just updated to 66.0.4 since all the other workarounds didn't do poo poo for me and this fixed it.

Yeah it fixed it for me too.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Ola posted:

Thanks!

I had disabled it by "no telemetry ever"-instinct, re-enabled it now. Please look at all my personal info as long as the ads go away!

Maybe it was all a scam to collect more totally not identifiable data! How many google fans still work at Mozilla?

Ola posted:

Now can someone please write a certificate management tool that developers will be shamed for not using?

Devs dont feel "shame".

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FRINGE posted:

Maybe it was all a scam to collect more totally not identifiable data! How many google fans still work at Mozilla?

Devs dont feel "shame".

I realize you're a literal 9/11 truther and all, but can you stop hollering about conspiracies against for once in the Firefox thread?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

J posted:

I'm on 66.0.4 with all of my add-ons happily enabled and the one of the hotfix studies showing as having been completed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Numero6 posted:

Why do devs always gently caress up with certs. :(

I think if you started with the goal of a thing designed to fall through the cracks in an org chart, certs is what you'd come up with.

They have a due date, but they are varied and you are could be dealing with stuff that expires in 3 years or every 3 months. They're a security feature, but not necessarily managed by the security team itself (they often have more important things on their plate). It's a menial task, but limited to a small number of people who are trusted with private keys that need to stay totally secure. They're invisible when they work correctly, but loving up can have really bad consequences.

Yep.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Klyith posted:

I think if you started with the goal of a thing designed to fall through the cracks in an org chart, certs is what you'd come up with.

They have a due date, but they are varied and you are could be dealing with stuff that expires in 3 years or every 3 months. They're a security feature, but not necessarily managed by the security team itself (they often have more important things on their plate). It's a menial task, but limited to a small number of people who are trusted with private keys that need to stay totally secure. They're invisible when they work correctly, but loving up can have really bad consequences.

Yep.

Also nobody ever wants to put in a system that will start complaining about certs before they expire, in increasingly loud ways.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Heyyyy it updated to allow extensions to work! Heyyyy all of my extensions have vanished!

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Finding out which random things they changed for no reason is my favorite part of having to update firefox, oh you sometimes used the reload all tabs thing in the right click menu? Yeah that's gone now, still got that close all tabs to the right option though! Also I had my mouse setup so the dpi button would cycle through the open tabs, now it just switches between the last two viewed, awesome

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Booourns posted:

Finding out which random things they changed for no reason is my favorite part of having to update firefox, oh you sometimes used the reload all tabs thing in the right click menu? Yeah that's gone now,

Ditto with bookmark all tabs.

Gotta chose "select all tabs" first before you do either.

Why, yes, I love it when my software adds in extra steps for no goddamn reason. Thank you.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah their patch notes are laughable, why even do them... You're better off checking the diffs in the prefs file to see what has been changed/removed/added. Luckily this guy does some of the work every release.

https://github.com/earthlng/FFprefs-diffs

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

No, no. Don't you see? They needed that Send tab to Device entry there but could not for any reason at all possibly add another entry into the list. 12 is the absolute max. So something has to go.

First they got rid of all the close things, putting those in a submenu until everyone screamed at them and then we kind of got those options back. But I still don't understand what use a 'close tabs to the right' button is without also having one for 'to the left.' Or, you know, why you would ever want to close only the tabs on the right, where you're most likely to find the tabs you've yet to read.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Unbranded build trip report: Upgraded the unbranded build to 66.0.4 and my extensions aren't showing as unverified any longer. I almost feel safe enough to switch back to the branded build (but not just yet).

Booourns posted:

Finding out which random things they changed for no reason is my favorite part of having to update firefox, oh you sometimes used the reload all tabs thing in the right click menu?

I accidentally hit that drat thing so often in one of the menus that I had to add a bit to userchrome to hide it. I'm glad it's gone.

edit: You can still 'select all tabs' 'reload tabs' now; it's an extra step but it 100% beats accidentally reloading everything.

quote:

Yeah that's gone now, still got that close all tabs to the right option though! Also I had my mouse setup so the dpi button would cycle through the open tabs, now it just switches between the last two viewed, awesome

Can you bind it to ctrl+pgup or ctrl+pgdown?

astral fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 6, 2019

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

astral posted:

Unbranded build trip report: Upgraded the unbranded build to 66.0.4 and my extensions aren't showing as unverified any longer. I almost feel safe enough to switch back to the branded build (but not just yet).

I accidentally hit that drat thing so often in one of the menus that I had to add a bit to userchrome to hide it. I'm glad it's gone.

edit: You can still 'select all tabs' 'reload tabs' now; it's an extra step but it 100% beats accidentally reloading everything.

Can you bind it to ctrl+pgup or ctrl+pgdown?

I used the logitech software that came with my mouse, it set it to ctrl+tab which seems to work different now
edit: hey hey ctrl+pgdown works fine thx

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It was really cool when my response to whatever the brilliant new UI innovation coming from moz was "whatever, I'll get an extension to revert that poo poo."

Though re: ctrl+tab there's an option for that in settings.

New tabs at end rather than after current seems to have been exiled to about :config though.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Klyith posted:

It was really cool when my response to whatever the brilliant new UI innovation coming from moz was "whatever, I'll get an extension to revert that poo poo."

Literally the only reason I still use Firefox is its the only browser out there that still lets me have tabs at the bottom of the screen, just above the task bar. Every update they make it harder to keep them down there.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Literally the only reason I still use Firefox is its the only browser out there that still lets me have tabs at the bottom of the screen, just above the task bar. Every update they make it harder to keep them down there.

Now that's really tabs on the bottom!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Klyith posted:

Though re: ctrl+tab there's an option for that in settings.

New tabs at end rather than after current seems to have been exiled to about :config though.

Why though? Why would you want new tabs to open anywhere but the end, unless you drag the link to the specific spot you want it to appear?
That and the presence of "close tabs to the right" with no "... to the left" equivalent are things I'll never understand.

:rip: Any extension that touched tabs in a meaningful way.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

And now when I middle-click to open a video, it doesn't start playing on its own. I would love it if when they change something on a whim, they'd add a button in options to undo that change.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Geemer posted:

:rip: Any extension that touched tabs in a meaningful way.

TabMixPlus :(

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The best is when they make a random change that'll no-doubt interfere with a huge amount of people's workflows and then double-down on it by also making sure to remove the about:config switch that governs it. Especially when it was just an option in the menu beforehand.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
So has the extension situation been resolved? I still have the update prompt in my menu.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Version 66.0.4 has been released and the only item on the changelog is a fix for the certificate problem.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

And now when I middle-click to open a video, it doesn't start playing on its own. I would love it if when they change something on a whim, they'd add a button in options to undo that change.

Look in Options > Privacy & Security > Permissions, they added a thing to block videos with sound from autoplaying.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Kassad posted:

Look in Options > Privacy & Security > Permissions, they added a thing to block videos with sound from autoplaying.

Oh thanks! I would never have figured out that blocking sound = youtube not playing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kassad posted:

I added an exception for youtube, but this is something I appreciate them adding otherwise.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Kassad posted:

Additionally, there should be a little icon in the location bar that you can click on to futz with the settings.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Additionally, they should add an option to never auto play videos, especially on mobile.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kassad posted:

I was just about to complain about this, too. It's too bad this got pushed right when their certificates expired because I thought something was broken.

Good feature, but maybe they should've added youtube as a default exception.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Geemer posted:

Why though? Why would you want new tabs to open anywhere but the end, unless you drag the link to the specific spot you want it to appear?
That and the presence of "close tabs to the right" with no "... to the left" equivalent are things I'll never understand.

It's a context thing, tabs generated by the current page appear immediately next to the tab so they're visually grouped.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

duz posted:

It's a context thing, tabs generated by the current page appear immediately next to the tab so they're visually grouped.

I know, but it just always fucks up my workflow when it happens to the point where I just can't imagine it being something people actually like.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Geemer posted:

I know, but it just always fucks up my workflow when it happens to the point where I just can't imagine it being something people actually like.

I like having tabs spawn next to my current tab, I even hit the setting so that new blank tabs spawn next to the current one. :shrug:

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I don't know if this is the correct thread for this but... What are some good Firefox text translate extensions? I refuse to search reddit for suggestions after numerous lovely and/or privacy endangering extension recommendations. I've been using Mate Translate for translating bits of text, paragraphs, websites etc. but I can't seem to easily select languages.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Temaukel posted:

So I don't know if this is the correct thread for this but... What are some good Firefox text translate extensions? I refuse to search reddit for suggestions after numerous lovely and/or privacy endangering extension recommendations. I've been using Mate Translate for translating bits of text, paragraphs, websites etc. but I can't seem to easily select languages.

I just go to deepl.com nowadays, because their translation is just so good.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

All of my themes are being updated but I can't find any release notes as to why, did Mozilla change something on the back-end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

overmind2000 posted:

All of my themes are being updated but I can't find any release notes as to why, did Mozilla change something on the back-end?

They did, yes. The notes are in 66.0.4's in-depth notes.