Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Fauxhawk Express posted:

This is rather niche, but if for some reason you've ever found yourself wondering what happened to No Fear, here is a nice long piece about that:

https://racerxonline.com/2019/05/10/the-rise-fall-of-no-fear

And by 'niche' you mean 'everyone who was alive in the 1990s'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i don't support anything that strays from the canonical dan quinn version of the bad boy logo, player

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I do like how the ringer now does trailer reaction videos. It’s just like, why?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

soggybagel posted:

I do like how the ringer now does trailer reaction videos. It’s just like, why?

Because you have to make money to run a site.

And guess what makes money and does traffic?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dexo posted:

articles comparing stuff to the wire?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Dexo posted:

A large part of one of my day jobs is managing a couple youtube accounts. There is a little to a more than a little fluctuation on how much you can actively earn on YouTube through ad rev sharing but to simplify you can basically earn about $1000 dollars per million views on a video. The IT 2 'Trailer Breakdown' from 2 days ago has 13k views. The Hobbs & Shaw one has 28k. The most successful one they have on their page that i can see is a Game of Thrones 8 trailer breakdown and that has 188k views.

You're not wrong, but also I don't think and this seems to indicate people don't really care for Bill Simmons screaming about the latest movie trailers. My why was more rhetorical in that, why, in that, its just kind of annoying and something I don't think lots of people are super hyped on from him. With that in mind, its a very low resources easy thing to do so I can see why. But its certainly not making them a lot of money either.

Lastly, somewhat unrelated to The Ringer but I bet a lot of these culture sites are loving bummed Game of Thrones is about to end because sites like The Ringer (which has posted over 115 articles/lists/breakdowns since April), Vulture, etc. will have to fill vast voids of the content hole once this show ends.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

soggybagel posted:

A large part of one of my day jobs is managing a couple youtube accounts. There is a little to a more than a little fluctuation on how much you can actively earn on YouTube through ad rev sharing but to simplify you can basically earn about $1000 dollars per million views on a video. The IT 2 'Trailer Breakdown' from 2 days ago has 13k views. The Hobbs & Shaw one has 28k. The most successful one they have on their page that i can see is a Game of Thrones 8 trailer breakdown and that has 188k views.

You're not wrong, but also I don't think and this seems to indicate people don't really care for Bill Simmons screaming about the latest movie trailers. My why was more rhetorical in that, why, in that, its just kind of annoying and something I don't think lots of people are super hyped on from him. With that in mind, its a very low resources easy thing to do so I can see why. But its certainly not making them a lot of money either.

Lastly, somewhat unrelated to The Ringer but I bet a lot of these culture sites are loving bummed Game of Thrones is about to end because sites like The Ringer (which has posted over 115 articles/lists/breakdowns since April), Vulture, etc. will have to fill vast voids of the content hole once this show ends.

there’s always a new “it” show to earn disproportionate amounts of internet attention

there’s no void to fill yet so it hasn’t happened

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
GoT is obviously bigger than anything but The Ringer will always find a way to wring as much content as possible out of each HBO show.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

GoT is obviously bigger than anything but The Ringer will always find a way to wring as much content as possible out of each HBO show.

Fixed that for you

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
HBO desperately wants Westworld to be their big post-GOT hit and the content mill will keep on churning whether people actually give a poo poo about it or not

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

soggybagel posted:

MCU downshifting after Endgame is another content hole.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i can't loving wait until i never have to see anything about game of thrones ever again, all i want to do is read something about the nba playoffs without having to know who b'arth the Dark Orthdontist or whoever the gently caress is

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

i can't loving wait until i never have to see anything about game of thrones ever again, all i want to do is read something about the nba playoffs without having to know who b'arth the Dark Orthdontist or whoever the gently caress is

There's gonna be so many spinoff shows you'd think Tom Clancy was ideas manning the source material

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kalli posted:

There's gonna be so many spinoff shows you'd think Tom Clancy was ideas manning the source material

Yeah GOT is big on like 10 episodes a year, so like they can produce an hour special a year and it would track

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kalli posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVeA2egual4&t=40s

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

b'arth the Dark Orthdontist

I'll never forgive that son of a bitch for the Red Retainer.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

R.D. Mangles posted:

new D&D character found

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

R.D. Mangles posted:

IIIIIiiiiiiiiii heard that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

HBO desperately wants Westworld to be their big post-GOT hit and the content mill will keep on churning whether people actually give a poo poo about it or not

For as much as people poo poo on the ringer for being in the pocket of HBO I think they've mostly acknowledged that Westworld is pretty lovely

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah GOT is big on like 10 episodes a year, so like they can produce an hour special a year and it would track

That plan is going to crash apart faster than the "Disney to Make One New Star Wars Feature Film a Year" plan

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

MourningView posted:

For as much as people poo poo on the ringer for being in the pocket of HBO I think they've mostly acknowledged that Westworld is pretty lovely

S2 was a trainwreck

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dejan Bimble posted:

That plan is going to crash apart faster than the "Disney to Make One New Star Wars Feature Film a Year" plan
I was really looking forward to Lobot: Origins

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dejan Bimble posted:

I mean there is a pretty big difference between a movie that you have to go out and see and something you can just watch from HBO

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Solo still made a ton of money. We’re about to see a lot more Star Wars with Disney+ launching.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Solo probably lost over 100 million.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

They lost money in the US box office but seemed to make a profit worldwide. Granted, hollywood accounting can make fuckin' Endgame look like it lost money so who really knows what it did

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

euphronius posted:

Would be weird since they made $400M on a $275M budget

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

euphronius posted:

It made over $100m gross with foreign sales included.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s world wide 392 million box office which is an enormous loss on a budget of 300 Plus millions.

I guess Disney synergies with streaming down the line will help a bit.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

Would be weird since they made $400M on a $275M budget

Right

So a huge loss . I don’t know exactly what cut Disney gets tho.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Are we doing the same math? How is making 400 million dollars on a 275 million dollar budget a loss?

Or is it a "loss" in that the growth is not big enough for late-stage capitalism Hollywood?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

As I said I don’t know Disney’s exact cut but it’s usually between 40-50%. So Disney got back around 200 million on a 300 Plus budget.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Movie studios and producers do some incredible accounting gymnastics to make even smash hits appear like they barely broke even.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The production budget of a movie usually doesn't include the cost of the marketing campaign, which for blockbusters is often equivalent to the production budget.

The big money for movies like Star Wars and Avengers is in the merchandise - the pajamas and action figures and Lego sets and breakfast cereals and everything else. I'll bet Solo really undershot projections for how much secondary merch it was going to move, and Disney heard a lot from unhappy licensees.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disney ain’t hurting and can swallow a few Solos.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

avatar 2-5 is going to be a cool experience

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

Disney ain’t hurting and can swallow a few Solos.

thabk you mid 90s michael eisner

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Redeye Flight posted:

Are we doing the same math? How is making 400 million dollars on a 275 million dollar budget a loss?

Or is it a "loss" in that the growth is not big enough for late-stage capitalism Hollywood?

A film usually has to make 3 times the budget to make the suits happy

1x - Cost of movie
2x - advertising (tends to equal cost, greater in some cases)
3x - Cocaine and lawsuit settlements

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

how much fuckin promotion does the third or fourth sequel to a major ip even need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Solo had an estimated $150m marketing budget and a $250m production budget, according to Variety, just to keep this derail chugging. Disney should feel bad because the movie was pretty boring.