Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

a ticket came in

and came in

and came in...

it was cc'd to everyone@200-plus-person-organization.com

I'm too loving old to need to check the work of someone who can't think of circumstances were maybe some restrictions on (a) authorization to send to distribution groups needs to be limited (b) what a service desk integration should be doing to prevent "lmao you cc'd yourself" endless loöps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
"Have you seen this specific issue with Windows imaging in your lab?"
"Well...we submitted a ticket a month ago."
"Oh god."
"Your guy told us to."
"Oh god."
"Because we haven't been able to image in here. But he came in and said he could."
"OH GOD. That's not useful, his perms are different."
"So we still can't image."
"Did you submit a ticket?"
"Yes."
"And it is..?"
"Still in the triage queue."
"So you never asked anyone on my team to move the ticket, and you never asked anyone on triage to move the ticket, and it's a month out and no one can image Windows computers STILL?"
"Yes."
"HOW?"
"We don't image that many Windows computers."
"Oh. Okay. I get that."

This is one of those days where I want to throw everything out the nearest window on the 5th floor, pack my winter clothes and some extra boots into my trunk, and go raise nomadic sheep in the Absarokee mountains.

Mammalian
Nov 9, 2011

Not just any Jesus Mammalian Jesus

spankmeister posted:

Then you're just the sysadmin.

I'm in the same situation - yeah, I guess I'm a sysadmin. It's more like a long term thing, having the "IT Manager" title I'm expecting to have people under me at some point. If we scale.

IF we ever scale.

I hate how small this place is and how I sit here with my screens on full view of half the team (including the head of finance who likes to micromanage me (but has stopped recently)) so I can't even like, relax properly, I just have to pretend that I'm spending 3 hours reading the guide for azure and the office admin page, while my ACTUAL manager is cool af and understands I know how to do my job.

I never liked politics.

If our office was bigger we could separate the departments and I wouldn't have to sit here with the plebs other folk :agesilaus:

edit: and I am getting things done, working on the infrastructure, it just takes ages to get anything done because it all has to go through the CTO and he's the only one who can ok things and is always busy, bah.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/1126053389803118594?s=21

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I like to imagine that the “official guidance” ended with the words “..., you utter knobs.” and a giant implied eye roll.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Potato Salad posted:

a ticket came in

and came in

and came in...

it was cc'd to everyone@200-plus-person-organization.com

I'm too loving old to need to check the work of someone who can't think of circumstances were maybe some restrictions on (a) authorization to send to distribution groups needs to be limited (b) what a service desk integration should be doing to prevent "lmao you cc'd yourself" endless loöps

I think I know where you work, because I came in this morning to a 55 layer deep reply all storm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Entropic posted:

I like to imagine that the “official guidance” ended with the words “..., you utter knobs.” and a giant implied eye roll.

"GDPR" is being used to avoid doing things in Ireland right now, while simultaneously pretending it doesn't affect the government's facial recognition software that was illegal before GDPR...

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

A ticket came in: we started running a database workload that does nothing but full table scans all through the day and all through the night, and now the database is slow. Can you put us on different hardware that will make it fast?

No; or rather, I can, but you can't afford it. Perhaps you might, you know, not do that so much, using indexes or some other crazy database magic.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

A ticket came in: we started running a database workload that does nothing but full table scans all through the day and all through the night, and now the database is slow. Can you put us on different hardware that will make it fast?

No; or rather, I can, but you can't afford it. Perhaps you might, you know, not do that so much, using indexes or some other crazy database magic.

My consultant just found the root cause of some performance issues. Our elite offshore team made ALL columns varchar. :rip:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

incoherent posted:

My consultant just found the root cause of some performance issues. Our elite offshore team made ALL columns varchar. :rip:

why?

I mean, I suspect I know the answer, but I'm wondering if they had applied some kind of torturous logic to that decision.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Is this person/team at least using a read replica for whatever they're doing, so that they don't slow it down for everyone else?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

nexxai posted:

Is this person/team at least using a read replica for whatever they're doing, so that they don't slow it down for everyone else?

I'm having lamentable difficulty even finding out exactly what they're doing. Thankfully it's in our non-production environment, so it's not impacting production. There are multiple instances of it, too, and I'm concerned that in a few places it may actually be swamping the aged FC infrastructure for those machines.

If it was in production, at least we'd have tools that I could use to analyze the queries and tell them to stop their nonsense in a more authoritative way.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Arquinsiel posted:

"GDPR" is being used to avoid doing things in Ireland right now, while simultaneously pretending it doesn't affect the government's facial recognition software that was illegal before GDPR...

Non-euro here: My (vague) understanding was that euro governments were exempt from GDPR? It seems like it would be quite impractical otherwise.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

That Dang Lizard posted:

Non-euro here: My (vague) understanding was that euro governments were exempt from GDPR? It seems like it would be quite impractical otherwise.
Nope. The Irish government tried to write the laws to exempt themselves from it though :v:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

A ticket came in from two different locations: The Internet is slow. After looking at Solar Winds noticed that a Windows 10 box was talking to another Windows 10 box at both locations. We just started deploying Windows 10 machines and there's a very fun feature called Delivery Optimization that's turned on by default. It's a P2P feature where the idea is that one box downloads a windows update and the other boxes on the local network get it from there. The problem is it's trying to download from a location in another state and eating all bandwidth. Infrastructure is having trouble finding the GPO setting to turn them all off, anyone have an idea?

I remote connected to both machines and disabled the feature that request to download things, but the downside of the feature is it's still enabled to provide the download if another machine ask for it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

minusX posted:

A ticket came in from two different locations: The Internet is slow. After looking at Solar Winds noticed that a Windows 10 box was talking to another Windows 10 box at both locations. We just started deploying Windows 10 machines and there's a very fun feature called Delivery Optimization that's turned on by default. It's a P2P feature where the idea is that one box downloads a windows update and the other boxes on the local network get it from there. The problem is it's trying to download from a location in another state and eating all bandwidth. Infrastructure is having trouble finding the GPO setting to turn them all off, anyone have an idea?

I remote connected to both machines and disabled the feature that request to download things, but the downside of the feature is it's still enabled to provide the download if another machine ask for it.

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Delivery Optimization

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config

Set it to 0 (Off) or 100 (Bypass)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-delivery-optimization

You want to keep it enabled, but limit it so that clients are only sharing updates within the same site. By default it assumes that clients with the same public IPv4 address are at the same location, if you're breaking out to the Internet centrally then you will want to adjust this. It should also take note of the sites you have defined in AD, so either you're stretching a subnet across locations or you've not defined those.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 9, 2019

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

Yeah found this and linked him but

The Fool posted:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Delivery Optimization
Was missing on his machine. He said he might need to update it.

The Fool posted:

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DeliveryOptimization\Config

Set it to 0 (Off) or 100 (Bypass)

Thanks Ants posted:

You want to keep it enabled, but limit it so that clients are only sharing updates within the same site. By default it assumes that clients with the same public IPv4 address are at the same location, if you're breaking out to the Internet centrally then you will want to adjust this. It should also take note of the sites you have defined in AD, so either you're stretching a subnet across locations or you've not defined those.
Both of those will be really useful. Thanks for the feedback. He had said he wanted to just disable it but the usefulness as we push out more windows 10 devices would be nice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not just used for updates, software distribution will make use of it as well. Keep it turned on but learn how to set it up.

You'll need the Windows 10 ADMX templates for the options to appear in Group Policy.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

minusX posted:

Yeah found this and linked him but

Was missing on his machine. He said he might need to update it.

Both of those will be really useful. Thanks for the feedback. He had said he wanted to just disable it but the usefulness as we push out more windows 10 devices would be nice.

Any decent WSUS/SCCM setup should be able to push updates over locally hosted servers anyways, so the usefulness is kinda 'ehhhhhh'. Especially since you should be testing patches before deploying them, since MS has decided that beta testing KBs is a sucker's game, and gently caress you if the patch breaks word files for everyone.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Any decent WSUS/SCCM setup should be able to push updates over locally hosted servers anyways, so the usefulness is kinda 'ehhhhhh'. Especially since you should be testing patches before deploying them, since MS has decided that beta testing KBs is a sucker's game, and gently caress you if the patch breaks word files for everyone.

Breaks Word files, how about breaks TFTP and blows up our entire Windows deployment infrastructure?

And then, since the server patch team wouldn't cop to even having done patching, blamed my team for breaking it.

Then, when I told them how to fix it, they kicked the ticket back to my team's queue 3 times before a director had to tell them to just do the loving needful already.

The outage lasted about 18 hours and would have been mitigated if not completely eliminated if someone had seen that the patch notes mentioned that MDT could have an outage due to TFTP changes, but apparently reading patch notes is for suckers.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

So when a system integration person emails me, lazy night computer janitor, about how their software they use to connect to servers isn't working remotely am I wrong to go "... Why the gently caress are you asking me?"

I went idk reboot and that seemed to work. Had to get it working tonight cause they have server upgrades to do later you see.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
"Yeah I know some stuff about sql databases since they're pretty important to Citrix and it won't hold your hand on setting one up at all" Me and my big stupid mouth just told everyone I'm a DBA apparently. Yeah I know exactly why your transact log is spiking overnight and causing log_backup to fail no I'm not just increasing its size limit and hoping it goes away why would you say that.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Welcome our new DBA and Citrix admin, hihifellow. Work now gets 20% more productivity from you.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
"Dear Mr. Enterprise Security. There are too many security agents on Windows. Please eliminate three. I AM NOT A CRACKPOT."

Yes, I did include a meme in my official findings. Y'all do realize I got promoted because the guy running eng poo poo in the back office thinks I'm funny, in addition to being a capable computer toucher, right? Kthx, VP of IT, have a great day.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Why would we increase your pay? You didn't change positions (except the one where you bent over to take it from behind for free).

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Sheep posted:

Why would we increase your pay? You didn't change positions (except the one where you bent over to take it from behind for free).

Even better, my team got split into two separate teams, but we were told that it wasn't a hierarchical split, there would be no change in titles, and there would be no change in compensation band.

A year later, HR went to my boss and said, "You have to reduce your team's pay by a total of X%. Let us know how to allocate that per employee."

My boss, who is awesome, told HR to get hosed, with a cc to the VPs of both sides of our formerly combined team.

A week later, HR quietly rescinded their order.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What the gently caress?

poo poo like that should be illegal.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Wibla posted:

What the gently caress?

poo poo like that should be illegal.

:capitalism: :911:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Who the gently caress would sign off on that? Does HR get bonuses if they take money away from employees?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

Who the gently caress would sign off on that? Does HR get bonuses if they take money away from employees?

You would be surprised to learn that in fact savings in payroll are tied into HR bonuses more often than you might want to know. So when a vp of HR sends something like that, the vp is looking to take away money from other people to give themselves a bonus. Gross in every way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Reduced our wage bill as instructed, aren’t I great!

Wait why are our customers leaving after their initial contract period.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Those IT guys are obviously slacking. Better fire them and outsource. Look at how much money we'll save by doing so!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Even better, my team got split into two separate teams, but we were told that it wasn't a hierarchical split, there would be no change in titles, and there would be no change in compensation band.

A year later, HR went to my boss and said, "You have to reduce your team's pay by a total of X%. Let us know how to allocate that per employee."

My boss, who is awesome, told HR to get hosed, with a cc to the VPs of both sides of our formerly combined team.

A week later, HR quietly rescinded their order.

lmao, there were and probably still late six separate emails cc'ing the C suite, all printed out and stored in a fire resistant safe, ensuring that move would be seen as the HR vp's initiative

because sometimes, getting ahead means harming your capacity to do business

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Potato Salad posted:

lmao, there were and probably still late six separate emails cc'ing the C suite, all printed out and stored in a fire resistant safe, ensuring that move would be seen as the HR vp's initiative

because sometimes, getting ahead means harming your capacity to do business

I mean, they're already doing enough harm by randomly splitting up our team, and also by denying us additional head count, even though we've expanded as a company by over 300% without adding any net new client engineers. When our boss told us about HR's little bullshit play after it was taken care of, it turned out that at least 3/4s of us would have threatened to walk. Which is exactly what he told HR, and what panicked the VPs enough that they signed off on squashing HR's stupidity.

We've rapidly become the sort of team where losing any member would turbo-gently caress the entire organization because we've had to move too fast to document anything, and the tribal knowledge brain drain would be crippling. It's bad enough that one of our team's devs mysteriously died last year* and his slot hasn't been backfilled because no one really understands what he did anyway.

*Not a nefarious mystery, more a tragic sort of mystery where no one who knows what happened will talk about it :smith: I suspect suicide. I've chosen not to purse finding out for sure.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I feel like you work for a storage vendor

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Potato Salad posted:

I feel like you work for a storage vendor

If by storage, you mean THE CLOUD. :yayclod:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

The night tech contractor we just got trained up and did two night shifts by herself reassigned today :(

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

If by storage, you mean THE CLOUD butt. :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

minusX posted:

The night tech contractor we just got trained up and did two night shifts by herself reassigned today :(

Night shifts are tougher than people think. I would have been totally fine with them if my previous employer was alright with me JUST working them, but nope, gotta alternate weeks! :pseudo: