Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Drunkboxer posted:

Are there any redeeming qualities in those Guinea Pig movies outside of the court case? I’ve heard they’re hard to sit through and are devoid of any plot.

Not really, what you just said is correct. They were never really meant to be movies and more to be a special effects/production video resume like stuff like Battle Girl: The Living Dead in Tokyo Bay or Batman: Dead End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Are there any redeeming qualities in those Guinea Pig movies outside of the court case? I’ve heard they’re hard to sit through and are devoid of any plot.

Yeah if you go in knowing they're 100% fake, and watching them as SFX demos from 25 years ago, they're pretty impressive.

Watching them just for funsies as a way to relax after work though, that's uh... not a good look.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alhazred posted:

You know a movie is hosed up if Charlie Sheen can't masturbate to it.

Hey now, it never said when Charlie called the FBI.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Hey now, it never said when Charlie called the FBI.

Refractory snuff-guilt seems on brand for him, yeah.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he only likes prosecuted snuff films.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I hope everyone's having a good day so far. It's been a rough few weeks for ol' Fran here. I'm exhausted.

I am hoping to finish out Trouble Every Day and Repulsion tonight or tomorrow.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

I hope everyone's having a good day so far. It's been a rough few weeks for ol' Fran here. I'm exhausted.

I am hoping to finish out Trouble Every Day and Repulsion tonight or tomorrow.

Wish you the best. I might have a rough time coming up depending on how a family member surgery goes late this week. Fingers crossed all goes well. Hope everything stabilizes and works out for you.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Drunkboxer posted:

Mermaid in a Manhole has plot, but it's also an adaptation of a Hideshi Hino work. It's pretty much the only one out of the series I felt was worth rewatching.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive never seen horror express but i impulse bought the arrow bluray and am excited af

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

ive never seen horror express but i impulse bought the arrow bluray and am excited af

You've never been less of a poser than you are today. 100% non-poser status achieved.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will watch I Trapped The Devil today

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

I saw it at the show when I was a kid. It's exquisite.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Get ready to have Kojak rock your loving socks off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Horror thread, which of these Vincent Price movies do you think I should most check out first?

The Bat
The Jackals
Shock
Scream & Scream Again
The Pit and the Pendulum
Tales of Terror
Madhouse

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Horror thread, which of these Vincent Price movies do you think I should most check out first?

The Bat
The Jackals
Shock
Scream & Scream Again
The Pit and the Pendulum
Tales of Terror
Madhouse

Probably Madhouse or Pit and the Pendulum. You really can't go wrong with a Corman/Price collaboration.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

The Bat
The Jackals
Shock
Scream & Scream Again
The Pit and the Pendulum
Tales of Terror
Madhouse

I'll say that the most unconventional of that group is The Bat, which is pretty unique and underrated for a Price film.

I also LOVE Tales of Terror, it's one of my favorite anthologies.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The Bat
The Jackals
Shock
Scream & Scream Again
The Pit and the Pendulum
Tales of Terror
Madhouse

Madhouse, Scream & Scream Again, Pit, Tales, Bat, Shock, Jackals.

Though my all time favorite's The Raven.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Witchfinder General is top-tier Price too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Tingler, Phibes, and Masque of Red Death are essential Price

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Pick a Price movie

It's probably essential

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Laura and Dragonwyck are essential non-horror price

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Burkion posted:

Pick a Price movie

It's probably essential

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Jv2zkYCjxI

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kvlt! posted:

Horror Express fuckin' rules, I'm excited for you.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Any thoughts on Black Summer on Netflix? Eight episode series after a zombie outbreak that doesn't really explain much of anything about the outbreak, characterization is mostly based on how people respond to life-or-death circumstances and there's just really a lot left to viewers to fill out on their own.

I'm not really sure I'd recommend it but I do find it interesting. The directing & acting can be quite good at times and they do a good job of creating some really tense, memorable sequences. The best episode might be one where they pull of a heist that pretty much comes of out nowhere without any build up to it where you just kind of guess that one character knows how to pull of this heist with inside info, but it's never explained.

But then the episodes vary wildly from 20-50 minutes? And there are a bunch of meaningless chapter titles? And there's an emotional monologue in a late episode that's in a foreign language without any subtitles? And there's a badass hobo guy that never speaks any lines and just disappears with his cool dog? And everyone knows they have to shoot the zombies in the head but they never aim for the head? And then at the end everybody has automatic weapons? And a main-ish character's fate is never accounted for?

I liked it but have never really seen anything quite like it. It's pretty frustrating but compelling as well. And it's the most obviously "filmed in Canada" series I've seen in a while.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CelticPredator posted:

I will watch I Trapped The Devil today

nm. I decided to edit my short film and it seems like it sucks so it's putting me down.

Also my roommate has the TV so i gotta wait till tomorrow.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

deety posted:

I watched The Other for the challenge this month and really enjoyed it, but I tend to like that kind of slow burn. There was also a surprising amount of subtlety to it. Things like the kid's drawing of the Lindbergh kidnapper and the fact that the would-be tattletale didn't die until after his mom told Niles her kid could just borrow Holland's bike helped balance out some of the more predictable aspects of it.

the ending of that movie was seriously hosed up

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Basebf555 posted:

I really don't just blind watch random horror movies, on Shudder or any other streaming service. That's what this thread is here for, so others can be my guinea pigs.

The only way I'll blind watch a horror movie is if I'm provided with a working VCR and a wall of VHS tapes.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

The Bat
The Jackals
Shock
Scream & Scream Again
The Pit and the Pendulum
Tales of Terror
Madhouse

Fair warning - Scream and Scream Again takes a long time for Price to appear. Not that this makes it a bad time, but it’s not so much a “Vincent Price movie” as it is “a movie featuring Vincent Price.”

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress yes

https://mobile.twitter.com/MidsommarMovie/status/1128283822318071808

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is Scream and Scream Again the one with the robot vampire

because that was some horseshit

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

gently caress this is gonna be the best movie of the year

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I don't even want to watch the trailer, I already know I'm going to see it opening weekend anyway.

Burkion posted:

yeah. it's... not great*. and that stupid theme song gets in my head every time I hear the title

*the plot I mean, it doesn't make a lot of sense but the movie is fun enough

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

That’s kind of an oversimplification. But also yeah.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Im hollering internally

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The color palette on that trailer is spectacular

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm so happy to see a horror movie that actually uses sunlight

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

gently caress this is gonna be the best movie of the year

I've been more hyped for this than any of the superhero films that's been talked about lately.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

I've been more hyped for this than any of the superhero films that's been talked about lately.

I'm pretty hyped for Brightburn, despite only seeing the trailer.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty hyped for Brightburn, despite only seeing the trailer.

That's another one I'm looking forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I'm so happy to see a horror movie that actually uses sunlight

Seriously, when was the last one that did that? I can't think of any off top of my head.