Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
traditional banks can’t make a person-to-person payment system safe and I’m saying that as someone who bought a shmoocon ticket in a dark alley in Berlin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
favorite beatle is secure as hell, just pick ringo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
stu sutcliffe isn't even in the rainbow table

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

traditional banks can’t make a person-to-person payment system safe and I’m saying that as someone who bought a shmoocon ticket in a dark alley in Berlin

Some hot key swapping going on in that dark alley

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

Hoover's security question to her friend was: "Who is my favourite Beatle?" The fraudster would have had a one in four chance of getting it right — John, Paul, George or Ringo. In a test of RBC's Interac system, Go Public was given four chances to answer the security question correctly. 

Just inject this poo poo directly into my veins

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Some hot key swapping going on in that dark alley

:eyepop:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cisco Router Bug Has Massive Global Implications posted:

Now, researchers are disclosing a remote attack that would potentially allow a hacker to take over any 1001-X router, and compromise all the data and commands that flow through it.

And it only gets worse from there.

To compromise the routers, researchers from the security firm Red Balloon exploited two vulnerabilities. The first is a bug in Cisco’s IOS operating system—not to be confused with Apple's iOS—which would allow a hacker to remotely obtain root access to the devices. This is a bad vulnerability, but not unusual, especially for routers. It can also be fixed relatively easily through a software patch.

The second vulnerability, though, is much more sinister. Once the researchers gain root access, they can bypass the router's most fundamental security protection. Known as the Trust Anchor, this Cisco security feature has been implemented in almost all of the company’s enterprise devices since 2013. The fact that the researchers have demonstrated a way to bypass it in one device indicates that it may be possible, with device-specific modifications, to defeat the Trust Anchor on hundreds of millions of Cisco units around the world. That includes everything from enterprise routers to network switches to firewalls.
So far as I can tell, this also means that firmware runtime attestation is completely impossible, so you cannot know if the firmware that's on the system messes with any future firmware, unless you JTAG the system and push the firmware to it in a way that the firmware runtime cannot know about.

And the best part is, that basically no vendor has a solution for this particular problem if they ever get hit by it - the closest work is described in my last post in the video titled Securing Bare Metal Hardware at Scale, and that was a year ago and I haven't heard much news about it yet.

And since the trust root is apparently in the FGPA, we're truly hosed. :munch:

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 13, 2019

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

So far as I can tell, this also means that firmware runtime attestation is completely impossible, so you cannot know if the firmware that's on the system messes with any future firmware, unless you JTAG the system and push the firmware to it in a way that the firmware runtime cannot know about.

And the best part is, that basically no vendor has a solution for this particular problem if they ever get hit by it - the closest work is described in my last post in the video titled Securing Bare Metal Hardware at Scale, and that was a year ago and I haven't heard much news about it yet.

And since the trust root is apparently in the FGPA, we're truly hosed. :munch:

doesn't sound terrible to fix:

quote:

They discovered that when Cisco’s secure boot detected a breach of trust in a system, it would wait 100 seconds—a pause programmed by Cisco engineers, perhaps to buy enough time to deploy a repair update in case of a malfunction—and then physically kill the power on the device. The researchers realized that by modifying the part of the bitstream that controlled this kill switch, they could override it. The device would then boot normally, even though secure boot accurately detected a breach.

Sounds like this bit of logic just needs to be thought through again...but as they didn't release the specifics yet, it's hard to say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: lmaorf

quote:

They also broke two of their routers during the process of physically manipulating and soldering on the boards to look for the reset pin.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rbc-customer-out-of-pocket-after-e-transfer-fraud-1.5128114

:bang:

a good part of my job is spent standing at the front of teh room telling people not to do basically any of the things in this article

yeah as a bankster this is making the rounds today, shoulda set up autopay

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Winkle-Daddy posted:

doesn't sound terrible to fix:

Sounds like this bit of logic just needs to be thought through again...but as they didn't release the specifics yet, it's hard to say ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: lmaorf

my read of that is that the code that decides what to do when secure boot can't verify the firmware can itself be modified, so all you need to do is modify it to just boot anyway.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Jabor posted:

my read of that is that the code that decides what to do when secure boot can't verify the firmware can itself be modified, so all you need to do is modify it to just boot anyway.

maybe, hard to tell if they have a real novel approach to fpga reverse engineering and if it can be generalized.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

even if it's "easy" to fix there's plenty of poo poo that won't be

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
lol whatsapp owned by a goddamn buffer overflow like its 1999 again

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Soricidus posted:

lol whatsapp owned by a goddamn buffer overflow like its 1999 again

yeah but c and c++ are real good, see

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

redleader posted:

yeah but c and c++ are real good, see

gotta keep the minimum fps high in the chat app

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CVE-2019-11815 posted:

The Linux Kernel is prone to a race-condition vulnerability.

An attacker can exploit this issue to cause denial of service and execute arbitrary code.

Linux kernel versions prior to 5.0.8 are vulnerable.
Anyone who doesn't have infrastructure diversity like VeriSigns Project Titan might be rushing to update.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Plank Walker posted:

favorite beatle is secure as hell, just pick ringo

How did you know?!?!

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Looks like the Lenovo leaked CVEs have been released.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

been a while since the last pre-auth rdp rce

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

thank christ we've moved everyone off windows 7

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Electronaut posted:

Looks like the Lenovo leaked CVEs have been released.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/x86/mds.rst

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

BES doesn't like AD passwords that end with a space character

how i learned this is not important

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

dont

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
BES only exists for the three people left using a blackberry at your company

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

*department

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:canada:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/business/status/1128294423585071104?s=20

bloomberg is a reputable publication that should report on security more often because it does a good job at that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
"completely defeating the kinds of eavesdropping that snowden proved global sigint agencies actually do all the time is a worthless gimmick, because it doesn't protect you against someone reading over your shoulder" is ... certainly a take, I guess

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

CVSS3 Base 9.8 score, pre-authentication, wormable attack against RDP:

quote:

A remote code execution vulnerability exists in Remote Desktop Services – formerly known as Terminal Services – when an unauthenticated attacker connects to the target system using RDP and sends specially crafted requests. This vulnerability is pre-authentication and requires no user interaction. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could execute arbitrary code on the target system. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts with full user rights.

To exploit this vulnerability, an attacker would need to send a specially crafted request to the target systems Remote Desktop Service via RDP.

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2019-0708

lol

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

kevin

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Number19 posted:

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2019-0708

lol

goddamn, there is gonna be a lot of fallout from this one

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Number19 posted:

lol
must have gotten a great replacement to burn that one publicly

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Windows 7 and 2008? Ancient history.

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 14, 2019

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

quote:

Enable Network Level Authentication (NLA) on systems running supported editions of Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2
You can enable Network Level Authentication to block unauthenticated attackers from exploiting this vulnerability. With NLA turned on, an attacker would first need to authenticate to Remote Desktop Services using a valid account on the target system before the attacker could exploit the vulnerability.
NLA is enabled on 7, 2008, and 2008 r2 by default isn't it?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

ah, its the legacy RDP and you can mitigate with NLA. This isn't so bad unless your shop completely sucks rear end. push a GPO to only support RDP with NLA and you're covered, no patch needed

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

NLA is enabled on 7, 2008, and 2008 r2 by default isn't it?

yeah but it will also accept legacy RDP. I think you need to screw with GPOs to make it not accept them

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Edit: double post

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah but it will also accept legacy RDP. I think you need to screw with GPOs to make it not accept them

you do have to force NLA-only mode via gpo/registry. i have that set but patched it anyways because why not

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

also this affects winxp/server 2003 and it's so bad they are pushing legacy patches for those out of support platforms. there's going to be a ton of servers out there that still accept pre-NLA RDP so yeah this could get ugly

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Number19 posted:

you do have to force NLA-only mode via gpo/registry. i have that set but patched it anyways because why not

Yeah I think that's why it doesn't impact newer OS's, they stopped supporting legacy RDP auth because that all old lovely XP/2003 could do but we're well pass end of their service life and MS is actually shutting off legacy protocols by default in their new releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

haveblue posted:

what are the odds that you don't type in the name of your favorite beatle but pick it from a dropdown

It's not as big of an issue as financial stuff, but United used to make you answer security questions via dropdown when logging in.

I'm sure the 10 options the provide for my favorite pizza topping will keep me secure.

Fake edit: Lol yeah they still use it.

Lain Iwakura posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1128294423585071104?s=20

bloomberg is a reputable publication that should report on security more often because it does a good job at that

quote:

It works on all operating systems, including Apple’s iOS, Google’s Android, and Microsoft’s rarely used mobile version of Windows.

gently caress, I thought I was safe with my security through obscurity. :eng99: