Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One of the owners at my company still maintains a Rolodex full of (often 10+ year-old) business cards and handwritten notes. She'll attempt to use it once in a while, only to find out that the number changed or the person is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Konstantin posted:

A long of early radios didn't have tuners. They were sold at a discounted rate by the station, and were set to only tune in to the station that sold it.

Wow, I’ve never heard of that, but TV’s and radios in North Korea are set to predetermined frequencies. You can fix that of course, but you don’t want anyone to find out you fixed it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I remember getting “auto tuned to one channel with no knob” radio keychains at major league baseball giveaway nights. Obviously the AM station that carried the games. Always loved those.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wow, I’ve never heard of that, but TV’s and radios in North Korea are set to predetermined frequencies. You can fix that of course, but you don’t want anyone to find out you fixed it.

A lot of the Soviet states also used "wired radio" which IIRC was a setup where people in cities or larger towns could get a "radio" that was basically a speaker in a box with a volume knob. You'd plug it into a socket in the wall of your apartment that was connected directly to a radio station. So no need for the government to worry about tinkerers figuring out how to modify radios to listen to the BBC or Voice of America or whatever.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah a lotta non-capitalist states that survive have a siege mentality from all the constant ideological siege

so I found my very first laptop from the 90s the other day while rummaging through things, a Toshiba Portege T3600CT- this thing is marvelous. It's a 486DX/75 that could run for 6-8 hours on a charge, and was super small for the time- about the footprint of a netbook but much thicker, about the size and weight of a college textbook

Can't find the adapter or the floppy drive, but I might have to do some ebaying and restore this lil guy. The keyboard isn't as good as modern ones, but it's solid- it has a mouse nipple with a stock nub that melts into putty, but I replaced mine with a tougher sandpapery one from an old Dell. Many good hours playing Civilization and LucasArts games on this thing, swapping out the PCMCIA network card for a sound card when needed

used to serial network it to my 90s gaming desktop and use it solely as a minimap for crazy Doom wads

not my pictures, but oh~ this machine

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm watching the LRG episode about the Dot Matrix printer that does different fonts, and I am reminded of the old one we had with our IIGS. The thing was so loud and would shake the table so much it was kind of terrifying. But its super satisfying to pull the tracks off the pages once you're done.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

twistedmentat posted:

I'm watching the LRG episode about the Dot Matrix printer that does different fonts, and I am reminded of the old one we had with our IIGS. The thing was so loud and would shake the table so much it was kind of terrifying. But its super satisfying to pull the tracks off the pages once you're done.

Hell yes. Fond memories of my literally screaming-loud dot matrix tractor feed printer on my C64. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I have one in my garage I bought as part of a lot of C64 manuals/joysticks/other accessories, I should see if it works. Print me off some dinosaurs from Designasaurus like it's the mid 90s again. :allears:

(it will take approximately 6 hours to print a single page dinosaur)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

twistedmentat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8RAbWs1yo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My work actually needed to keep one DotMatrix printer for use about... 6 times a year? Parts and replacements came out of some warehouse in Texas of all places.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The 80s show Moonlighting built an entire episode around one of these.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNTtR6ZpUOo

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I remember getting “auto tuned to one channel with no knob” radio keychains at major league baseball giveaway nights. Obviously the AM station that carried the games. Always loved those.
When I went to Goodwood Revival last year we got one of those so you could listen to the race commentary no matter where in the area you were. They were a little over the ear thing and loud enough that you could hear it even if you wore earplugs underneath.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I had a college professor very cautiously accused me of submitting someone else’s research paper because I had printed it out on my mom’s old dot matrix printer. It must have looked like something a student wrote in 1985.

Mister Kingdom posted:

The 80s show Moonlighting built an entire episode around one of these.

An entire movie was written around a Rolodex. Originally it was to be titled ‘Rolodex’ (or something similar) but they couldn’t get the rights so it became ‘Taking Care of Business’ starring Charles Gordin and the lovely Belushi. Rolodexes were like an integral cultural thing that just disappeared virtually overnight.

The cemetery most of my family is buried at has an office that is straight out of the 1950’s. All its records are kept on what is essentially a massive Rolodex.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Never seen a filing paternoster before :eyepop:

e: Oh they're actually pretty common, although not for card files :shrug:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Any of you guys been to the Cray museum in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin? If you're in the area, I highly recommend it. I didn't take nearly enough pictures but here are a few.

https://imgur.com/a/BPWIgMr

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When I was a kid this style of address book was a common alternative to the Rolodex. You'd move the slider on the right to the letter you were interested in and press the button. The address book would spring open to the first page of that letter.

The pages had little tabs on them to register with the slider, and as those tabs wore out the address book would become useless.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Any of you guys been to the Cray museum in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin? If you're in the area, I highly recommend it. I didn't take nearly enough pictures but here are a few.

https://imgur.com/a/BPWIgMr

Is the museum in a office from 1986 because that’s what it looks like.

Also more supercomputers need leather seating. It’s the little touches that make the experience that much better.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is the museum in a office from 1986 because that’s what it looks like.

Also more supercomputers need leather seating. It’s the little touches that make the experience that much better.

They share an old rear end building with a Boys & Girls club. They've been hurting for funds since the GOP took away all state funding.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

In the last image what is that strange thing that looks like a big brass DC motor?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

In the last image what is that strange thing that looks like a big brass DC motor?

Drum storage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_memory

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I'm imagining a giant crank on the side and having to start the thing like a Model A.

When I was a teenager I worked at an accounting firm that had one of the old rack mount hard drives that had to be turned on before the minicomputer. You'd throw the switch and the thing would slowly come to life, and a noise like a distant siren winding up would fill the room until it reached a constant pitch and then you could proceed.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was a kid this style of address book was a common alternative to the Rolodex. You'd move the slider on the right to the letter you were interested in and press the button. The address book would spring open to the first page of that letter.

The pages had little tabs on them to register with the slider, and as those tabs wore out the address book would become useless.

hell yeah, growing up, my folks had a slick 80s plastic-and-faux-leather version of the same thing- looked different, same mechanism, mostly got busted out for christmas cards

you had to write new addresses in with gaps between em, in case someone changed address and you needed room

putting an entry right below another was an assurance that the person above was probably staying at the same address for a while

e: starting to remember why I was so stoked about getting one of these in the late 90s:

Peanut Butler has a new favorite as of 20:05 on May 14, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Code Jockey posted:

Hell yes. Fond memories of my literally screaming-loud dot matrix tractor feed printer on my C64. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I have one in my garage I bought as part of a lot of C64 manuals/joysticks/other accessories, I should see if it works. Print me off some dinosaurs from Designasaurus like it's the mid 90s again. :allears:

(it will take approximately 6 hours to print a single page dinosaur)

Oh yea, I once used clipart and the Apple Paint program to make a really nice picture of the Enterprise and my dad let me print it out. Took like 3 hours.

Here's the actual video he posted
https://youtu.be/D1jojSZsoqo

That's rad as hell.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Dick Trauma posted:

Ha! I had forgotten about these... so much in fact that it took zooming into the pic to remember that they were friggin’ made out of metal!

Push that broad button near the bottom and unleash the spring, right to the page you needed... caught me right in the nostalgia

My dad had stories of being a grad student and making the arm attached to the head of one of those huge “washing machine” hard drives seek back and forth to make it walk like an unbalanced well, washing machine

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

hell yeah, growing up, my folks had a slick 80s plastic-and-faux-leather version of the same thing- looked different, same mechanism, mostly got busted out for christmas cards

you had to write new addresses in with gaps between em, in case someone changed address and you needed room

putting an entry right below another was an assurance that the person above was probably staying at the same address for a while

Or maybe just use a pencil.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ReidRansom posted:

Or maybe just use a pencil.

thx for the advice 25yrs too late, lol-

my folks werent exactly big into foresight when it came to small details of life like that

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Pencil smudged or became faint. You needed that poo poo inked.

This isn’t something new. We’re not figuring out a secret trick Boomers hate. You wrote it in pen and you left extra space. If it filled up you were happy because that meant you had lots of friends and family.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Don't forget the powers of white-out.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
If you've watched Deutschland 83 or 86, you'll have seen the scenes set in Stasi headquarters complete with 70s/80s brown and green everything and lots of old rotary phones, heavy East German typewriters etc. The scenes in Stasi HQ were filmed on location because parts of the old Stasi headquarters have been preserved exactly as they were with furnishings and fittings intact. They're well worth the trip if you're around Berlin and into that period. So not only obsolete technology but a sort-of failed state too!

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

e: starting to remember why I was so stoked about getting one of these in the late 90s:

I remember when they started making these personal organizer devices that could communicate with each other via IR or RF. ( I dont' remember which) I wanted one SO BAD so I could talk to the friends I didn't have in class.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Cavs 14% chance top pick
44% chance for a top 3

Wrong thread lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The Cavs are obsolete and failed, so almost right thread.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

thx for the advice 25yrs too late, lol-

my folks werent exactly big into foresight when it came to small details of life like that

You can still heed that advice on the address and emergency contact page in your passport though.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Unperson_47 posted:

I remember when they started making these personal organizer devices that could communicate with each other via IR or RF. ( I dont' remember which) I wanted one SO BAD so I could talk to the friends I didn't have in class.

aww yeah!

I wanted the model that had a little microphone and speaker on the back, that you could hold up to any phone, dial their number, and sync email/articles- but it had some kind of ridiculous monthly fee that rly wasn't worth it to write emails in class to internet pals to send later on a payphone

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you've watched Deutschland 83 or 86, you'll have seen the scenes set in Stasi headquarters complete with 70s/80s brown and green everything and lots of old rotary phones, heavy East German typewriters etc. The scenes in Stasi HQ were filmed on location because parts of the old Stasi headquarters have been preserved exactly as they were with furnishings and fittings intact. They're well worth the trip if you're around Berlin and into that period. So not only obsolete technology but a sort-of failed state too!

One of my history profs was in Berlin a few days after the the wall came down and reunification happened. He was walking around the Brandonberg Gate and noticed in the dirt something, it was a Stasi pin. Clearly some officer saw what was going on, and pulled it off their lapel and went on like they had never tortured anyone to rat out their friends.

Every time I see one of those electronic personal organizers from the early 2000s, I'm reminded of when i worked for HPs online store, the number of calls I'd get that were people asking if their PDAs could make phonecalls. Its kind of amazing only a few years later, yea you can do that.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Krispy Wafer posted:

The cemetery most of my family is buried at has an office that is straight out of the 1950’s. All its records are kept on what is essentially a massive Rolodex.

I worked in a bank in the mid-90s and they had one of these for the signature cards. Remember when you had to fill out a signature card for a bank account?

The theory was that you could pull the card and compare the data/signature on the check/passbook/document to validate its validity.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

I wanted the model that had a little microphone and speaker on the back, that you could hold up to any phone, dial their number, and sync email/articles

:aaaaa:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
We just got a shiny new dot matrix log printer at work, it's a requirement apparently. I think we're done with floppies though

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I remember we updated our LG washing machine by dialing a number and holding the phone to a place on the control panel. It was sold only with super-water-saving mode enabled but an over-the-phone update let it default to the 5 gallon setting so clothes would actually wash.

Some requirement to meet water saving levels to be sold in the US or something.

Had a remote that did the same thing. Conical/triangular Sony universal remote that you could stand up on it's butt. Had a phone update setting, you could dial into Sony and tell them your model of TV and amplifier and it would do a program thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5gJk4bUxjA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6b7Fb3H3LU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNmfmT_G9ec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ggckXtZjs