Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
1st world problem/question for the thread: How do you drink beer on the bench? I assume if you wear a visor this isn't a big deal but if you have a cage (like I do) you need to take off all the straps to drink it. Do you put it in a squirty water bottle as an alternative but then there's the beer spillage/drippage/sway factors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Straw

Nitro stouts only

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s an added benefit of the visor.

I can lift my cage over my face but it looks stupid and isn’t comfortable and if I’m wearing my cage it’s a league game and we’ve gotten our wrists slapped too many times for blatantly drinking on the bench.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

sellouts posted:

Lawrence I have a pair of supreme total one girdle + shell that have literally never been worn. Really adjustable. Do you want them? You pay shipping and that’s it.

Thanks for the offer. I'll try these out first and let you know.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

own the mess

https://i.imgur.com/2igG5zv.gifv

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I specifically chose the Bauer Supreme line because they had the widest boot of all the ones I tried on. I don't have EE size, but their regular fits me perfectly.

Did you try on the Nexus or Ribcore?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Tank44 posted:

1st world problem/question for the thread: How do you drink beer on the bench? I assume if you wear a visor this isn't a big deal but if you have a cage (like I do) you need to take off all the straps to drink it. Do you put it in a squirty water bottle as an alternative but then there's the beer spillage/drippage/sway factors.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SanJoseSharks/status/1126312518136127491

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Chemmy posted:

Did you try on the Nexus or Ribcore?

I don't remember. It was like a year and a half ago and I just tried on every boot they had in the store. The Supremes fit the best, so I got the model in the price range I was looking to spend (S180).

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Chemmy posted:

I baked my 1Xs last night. They feel exactly the same as the APXs they’re replacing.

Those APXs felt the same as the XXXXs they replaced.

Just want to point out, I still have those XXXXs. Also, I think we have the exact same feet.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

An old-timer came up to me as I was practicing crossovers during free skate and gave me 5 words of advice that really helped with my balance:

"Stick your rear end out more."

Reviving this post from over 2 years ago, right when I was starting to learn how to skate, because I just found out the old-timer, who is a former-AHLer and regular at my rink's adult public skate, has lung cancer and will be getting at least half of one lung removed. :(

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Reviving this post from over 2 years ago, right when I was starting to learn how to skate, because I just found out the old-timer, who is a former-AHLer and regular at my rink's adult public skate, has lung cancer and will be getting at least half of one lung removed. :(

One of my wife's former coworkers/bosses had some terrible pulmonary disease that necessitated a double lung transplant. About two years on from the operation, he's basically living a totally normal life. Obviously, cancer is a slightly different story where surgery my only temporarily halt the progression, but god drat they are doing some amazing things with medicine.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nitro stouts only

Please no.

In other news:

Won the championship with a shootout after stoning a ringer that most of the league was complaining about. :feelsgood:
...and am then leaving the team to play the summer season in Div 1-2. :rip:

Bonus hardware!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Habibi posted:

One of my wife's former coworkers/bosses had some terrible pulmonary disease that necessitated a double lung transplant. About two years on from the operation, he's basically living a totally normal life. Obviously, cancer is a slightly different story where surgery my only temporarily halt the progression, but god drat they are doing some amazing things with medicine.

He seems optimistic and he's already planning on returning to the ice as soon as he can. Pretty sure he's gonna have to quit smoking though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

Bonus hardware!

Your rink doesn't actually hand those out do they? If so, that's sick.

We get a printed piece of paper in 72-point Helvitica font with our team name on it to stick in the trophy that we get to hold and drink beer with for 20 minutes before it goes back on the shelf.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Your rink doesn't actually hand those out do they? If so, that's sick.

We get a printed piece of paper in 72-point Helvitica font with our team name on it to stick in the trophy that we get to hold and drink beer with for 20 minutes before it goes back on the shelf.

The two largest leagues here do. They're great for nearly being able to fit an entire 22oz bottle of beer. Also, I stole the Summer 2018 mug from Verman. :smuggo:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hockles posted:

Just want to point out, I still have those XXXXs. Also, I think we have the exact same feet.

That’s dope as hell.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bradf0rd posted:

Also, I stole the Summer 2018 mug from Verman. :smuggo:

Thats true. I think you shut us out too IIRC. FWIW it was our first season as a team and we were kind of surprised to end up in the championship. I kind of hate the mugs, I wish they were pint glasses because they would be more useful and not take up so much room in my cabinet. One of my former teammates dropped his mug within 10 seconds of Andy passing them out. "Wow, these are coo ... "

I was looking forward to playing against you on Tuesday night but Amazon had someone else in net. They picked up this guy who was playing junior hockey with the Totems and Ravens in the WSHL until 2016 and was fully kitted out in totems gear so that was fun. He was really good, quick, super strong on his feet and his shot was a laser. Watching him deke and toe drag was bananas. Not sure how or why he ended up in 3c but I'm sure he'll get some complaints eventually. He wasn't being ridiculous like sniping every possible goal but you could tell he wasn't really turning it on either. Either way, I usually enjoy playing against Amazon because they move the puck well and play a really solid team game. If they had a full bench we probably would have gotten smoked.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Verman posted:

Thats true. I think you shut us out too IIRC. FWIW it was our first season as a team and we were kind of surprised to end up in the championship. I kind of hate the mugs, I wish they were pint glasses because they would be more useful and not take up so much room in my cabinet. One of my former teammates dropped his mug within 10 seconds of Andy passing them out. "Wow, these are coo ... "

I was looking forward to playing against you on Tuesday night but Amazon had someone else in net. They picked up this guy who was playing junior hockey with the Totems and Ravens in the WSHL until 2016 and was fully kitted out in totems gear so that was fun. He was really good, quick, super strong on his feet and his shot was a laser. Watching him deke and toe drag was bananas. Not sure how or why he ended up in 3c but I'm sure he'll get some complaints eventually. He wasn't being ridiculous like sniping every possible goal but you could tell he wasn't really turning it on either. Either way, I usually enjoy playing against Amazon because they move the puck well and play a really solid team game. If they had a full bench we probably would have gotten smoked.

Huh, I don't know who all they picked up. I'm not with them this season as I had planned to take summer off and then try to move over to SKAHL in the fall. The drives to Renton and Kirkland from my house are better than getting to Lynnwood/Shoreline/Everett, plus the league is ran a bit better, imo. Right after the winter season ended, I got a call asking me to play with the Mavericks in Division 1 for the summer. I subbed for them a bunch in the winter (going 3-0-1) and their regular goalie is out with the hot brain this summer. I'll probably sub at some point this season for The Badgeholes, though.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Pretty much. I just line up with a cage hole near my mouth, put my head all the way back and basically pour it straight down my throat. This will occasionally end up in a chest soaked in beer but it works pretty well most of the time.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Anyone have any recommendations on air purifiers/deodorizers? I just got a storage unit in my building that is basically a big closet and I'm planning on keeping my gear in there, but there isn't a ton of air circulation. Was thinking about getting a fan in there and running it during the night after hockey. Do those Bamboo charcoal bag things do anything worth a drat? Or those Arm & Hammer ball things?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't recommend drying hockey gear in a closed space, even with a fan. Your sweat is just gonna evaporate and turn the whole closet into a swampy stinky mess and your gear will never dry out. If there's some way to vent air to the outside it'll work a lot better.

Ozone generators are an option long as it's not a space where people are breathing the output.. there are models intended to be general home air purifiers, but it's not actually safe. But if it's in a closed room it's really effective at killing odors.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

xzzy posted:

I don't recommend drying hockey gear in a closed space, even with a fan. Your sweat is just gonna evaporate and turn the whole closet into a swampy stinky mess and your gear will never dry out. If there's some way to vent air to the outside it'll work a lot better.

Ozone generators are an option long as it's not a space where people are breathing the output.. there are models intended to be general home air purifiers, but it's not actually safe. But if it's in a closed room it's really effective at killing odors.

Unfortunately me next best option is to just leave my stuff in the front of my parking space, but then it would have to sit in my bag and anyone in the garage could help themselves. I’ve got wire shelving units for the storage unit that should at least get air around the gear so it’s not like it’s in my bag in my trunk. I supposed I could also grab a mini dehumidifier like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DC5PPWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xE01Cb3VJ18FT

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I have one of these and like it quite a bit. https://www.amazon.com/Panda-Portable-Ventless-Folding-Machine/dp/B01AVGCPN2

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Only for skates and gloves, but I got this for father's day last year and it's pretty great.

https://www.amazon.com/DryGuy-Forced-Boot-Dryer-Garment/dp/B010A5J5FU/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=hockey+dryer&qid=1557721644&s=gateway&sr=8-8

The rest of the gear gets hung up out in the garage, occasionally with a fan blowing on it if I remember.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That’s a weird looking sex toy.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Have you seen a goalie cup?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Always double cup.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Jovial Cow posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on air purifiers/deodorizers? I just got a storage unit in my building that is basically a big closet and I'm planning on keeping my gear in there, but there isn't a ton of air circulation. Was thinking about getting a fan in there and running it during the night after hockey. Do those Bamboo charcoal bag things do anything worth a drat? Or those Arm & Hammer ball things?

Ive been drying my gear out in my "den" (think big closet) with just a box fan running at the gear on an Ikea drying rack. It works fine and theres been no noticeable smell in the room without the gear in it after 2+ years of doing so. Bonus points it usually is dry within 12-24 hours.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
A friend built a drying rack out of PVC pipes in which he drilled holes for all the various bits of equipment and hooks a hair dryer up to an opening so that air flows around and out the holes to help dry the inner parts.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i throw my bag in the back of my garage, and sometimes just leave it the trunk of my car

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I unzip my bag and tip it upside down in my basement then pick out all the washables and toss them towards the washing machine for later.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

bewbies posted:

i throw my bag in the back of my garage, and sometimes just leave it the trunk of my car

I had a roller hockey teammate who left his gear in the trunk of his hatchback after every game. His gear was constantly wet and the windows of his car were permanently yellow/greasy inside as if someone was inside chain smoking themselves to death. The car itself served as one giant smelling salt.

He gave me a ride once. Never again.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

calandryll posted:

A friend built a drying rack out of PVC pipes in which he drilled holes for all the various bits of equipment and hooks a hair dryer up to an opening so that air flows around and out the holes to help dry the inner parts.

I've built something like this, but mostly I just use it as a regular rack to lay my gear out on and don't mess around with blow drying. I live in SoCal where it's hot and dry so I can get away with being kinda lazy about airing things out.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I use this. It's great.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I air everything out in the bathtub of the spare bathroom and crank up the dial on the plug-in potpourri.

I played really sloppily early in today's game, but hit my stride in the 2nd half and got a breakaway goal, followed by an assist via backhand saucer pass to my teammate during a 2 on 1.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Hockles posted:

I use this. It's great.

I got one of these on sale for like $15. It's packaged as CANADIAN WORLD JUNIORS HOCKEY DRYING TREE or something. It was after World Junior Tournament and the store was clearing out the stock.

Thing is loving great for drying. I can fit everything except my hockey pants on it (I just lay those at its feet). Stuff is dry by the next morning.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I have that as well in my basement. Some of the clips are rusty from my sweaty padded shirt but other than that it's great.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Every man cools down post-game in their own way.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I mounted a pegboard on my garage wall that holds everything. In the winter when it’s rainy and moist, I just point a box fan upward at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I mounted a pegboard on my garage wall that holds everything. In the winter when it’s rainy and moist, I just point a box fan upward at it.

This has basically been my approach for the last year and a half, except I hit it with the fan regardless of season. I usually have to get new gloves every 6-8 months, but thanks to this, my current pair is just about 18 mos old and only now showing signs of breakdown and beginning to smell like death.