Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The Denver Gone Fishin' is a real masterpiece, fully encompasses what fishing pictures are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I thought the Philly one was amazing, questloves pick sticking out was the cherry on top

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I really hope this works out, not just for players being paid and disrupting the NCAA, but also because David West owns: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/15/hoops-league-will-be-a-paid-alternative-to-ncaa-in-2020-david-west.html

quote:

[...]

The choice for athletes will be to join amateur college basketball, the dominant channel to the NBA, or the professional league, which plans to pay between $50,000 and $150,000 per season, based on a player’s talent and marketability, he said. He explained that HBL players will be able to sign with an agent and take advantage of their “fandom.”

[...]

As an added benefit, West said, the league will run in the summer and end in September. Players will then enroll in college without the pressure of balancing basketball and school, he said. Athletes can also pursue nontraditional education pathways, he said.

HBL would consider accepting players outside their target age demographics under special circumstances, such as those who joined the military or college athletes unhappy with their current situation, without penalty, West said.

[...]

“These players are generating quite [a brand],” West said. “Our pitch ... is that we’re going to offer you greater value so you can sign with a marketing agent immediately to begin to monetize your likeness.”

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm very confused by the Belein hire.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm very confused by the Belein hire.

He's got a pretty good case for being the best coach in college basketball and is very good at player development, especially point guards, which is big for Cleveland. Maybe his offense won't translate (it's kinda slow and overly structured for the NBA, but then again so is Snyder's and that's been fine, and Belein at least tries to get the right kind of shots), but even that has gotten a lot closer to an NBA style offense the last few years then it was earlier in his career. The big downside is probably that he's really old, but that's probably also the only reason he'd consider leaving a great college job to take on a project like the Cavs.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 13, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I was kinda hoping the Cavs would re-hire Blatt.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

I was kinda hoping the Cavs would re-hire Blatt.

Is Blatt still getting paid by them? I love that he was getting paid for coaching an NBA team and coaching a EuroLeague team for maximum money.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1127973787289423874

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

felony escape sounds like bullshit, and lol at booker/ayton/oubre all being there in the vip section

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You're a 6'8 NBA starter (technically). You probably shouldn't run away after you've been handcuffed. I think they'll figure out who it was.

A decent lawyer will probably be able to get that reduced to a misdemeanor disorderly conduct. Though if he literally was still handcuffed when he ran off it might be worse.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Too 5 draft pick and he has to sneak into VIP. Oof.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

hifi posted:

felony escape sounds like bullshit, and lol at booker/ayton/oubre all being there in the vip section

This loving rules, I'm back on my Suns bullshit. Trade this man for a terrible point guard on an awful deal immediately

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

If only he showed this kind of tenacious, dogged determination on the court. Lmao

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxYhbcWHDKU/

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Ayton out here looking like Dr. Jacobi from twin peaks and spider jerusalem had a baby that got paid illegally by nike. This instantly makes me like him more

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

What is wrong with Booker's forehead? How does he get instagram models lining up when he's got a crease in his head like that?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The B_36 posted:

What is wrong with Booker's forehead? How does he get instagram models lining up when he's got a crease in his head like that?

Is it a stain from a hat or bandana?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Is it a stain from a hat or bandana?

Could be a partial sun burn while he was wearing a hat pulled down low? Man, that's a rookie move...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Ayton out here looking like Dr. Jacobi from twin peaks and spider jerusalem had a baby that got paid illegally by nike. This instantly makes me like him more

Lmbo wow

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/AlyssaAdams215/status/1128009227497279489?s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

hifi posted:

trying to escape from bullshit charges, for shame young man, should’ve had his nose in the playbook

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Mike Scott is the perfect 7th man.

the Magic City jersey :lol:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

This loving rules, I'm back on my Suns bullshit. Trade this man for a terrible point guard on an awful deal immediately

He’s not terrible but Mike Conley can be had for the right price.

I actually think the addition of Conley and addition by subtraction with Josh Jackson would make the Suns a very watchable team.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

breaking into the Rolling Loud HotBox Stage to see kid cudi and j. cole, getting arrested and in my minds eye, hopping away while shackled at the hands and legs is a cry for help up there with tweeting from the hair salon

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1128132569466327040?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

hifi posted:

breaking into the Rolling Loud HotBox Stage to see kid cudi and j. cole, getting arrested and in my minds eye, hopping away while shackled at the hands and legs is a cry for help up there with tweeting from the hair salon

In all seriousness he might have some alcohol issues.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1128043860473417728

Of course the Kings and Knicks are interested.

(I'd take a flier on him if you can get him for nothing)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1128309140575510531?s=19

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lockback posted:

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1128043860473417728

Of course the Kings and Knicks are interested.

(I'd take a flier on him if you can get him for nothing)

I can't imagine Phoenix will be able to command much, maybe a decent bench PG if they're lucky

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
If I remember the Sun-Times was bullshit but the Lonzo Wire (lol it still exists somehow) picked up a story from there saying that the Bulls may be offering the 6 (if they fall) for Lonzo.

Might be worth doing that if Kemba is the realistic target.

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2019/05/13/lonzo-ball-news-la-lakers-chicago-bulls-trade-2019-nba-draft/

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rick posted:

If I remember the Sun-Times was bullshit but the Lonzo Wire (lol it still exists somehow) picked up a story from there saying that the Bulls may be offering the 6 (if they fall) for Lonzo.

https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2019/05/13/lonzo-ball-news-la-lakers-chicago-bulls-trade-2019-nba-draft/

I dunno — assuming he ever starts hitting the three consistently, Lonzo seems like the kind of guard you'd ideally want to put next to Kemba

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Huh. I'd think Joerger would be the top candidate if they don't want mini-Flip anymore. Could just be due diligence though.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

Huh. I'd think Joerger would be the top candidate if they don't want mini-Flip anymore. Could just be due diligence though.
A bit of the wolves fanbase was worried about getting Joerger because he's not very friendly with the front offices of places he's coached, but if I had to be Divac's coach you bet your butt I'd be unfriendly.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Rick posted:

Cowley is a blowhard but he is periodically well-sourced, although I think it usually has more to do with internal drama than personnel moves.

Trading a high lotto pick for Lonzo Ball would be a nightmare. I guess they could use a PG who can run the break and defend while letting LaVine lead the offense in the halfcourt, and the Bulls have good shooters slotted 2-4, but still. Lonzo isn't even really a bargain on his rookie contract because he was picked #2

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
If the Suns don't get a top two pick tonight I'm driving to Arizona and KIDnapping one of the goats from Ryan McDonoughs old office

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The B_36 posted:

He is strikingly ugly if you get him from a bad angle. Looks like Sauruman's special uruk-hai. Hmm
White hand
Logos
Teams
Kawhi Leonard is going to Phoenix?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

He's got a pretty good case for being the best coach in college basketball and is very good at player development, especially point guards, which is big for Cleveland. Maybe his offense won't translate (it's kinda slow and overly structured for the NBA, but then again so is Snyder's and that's been fine, and Belein at least tries to get the right kind of shots), but even that has gotten a lot closer to an NBA style offense the last few years then it was earlier in his career. The big downside is probably that he's really old, but that's probably also the only reason he'd consider leaving a great college job to take on a project like the Cavs.

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2019/05/it-started-at-a-wedding-how-cleveland-cavaliers-came-to-hire-john-beilein-terry-pluto.html LOCAL NEWS HAS THE SCOOP

no press conference so no canned reasons why. Maybe he was just tired of recruiting and losing to Michigan State in important games

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

If the Suns don't get a top two pick tonight I'm driving to Arizona and KIDnapping one of the goats from Ryan McDonoughs old office

Suns have had 3 top 5 picks in a row, how many more do they need?

I'm just getting ready for the coming disappointment when the Mavs don't move up in the lotto.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2019/05/it-started-at-a-wedding-how-cleveland-cavaliers-came-to-hire-john-beilein-terry-pluto.html LOCAL NEWS HAS THE SCOOP

no press conference so no canned reasons why. Maybe he was just tired of recruiting and losing to Michigan State in important games

He's expressed a lot of frustration with recruiting and players leaving school early recently (a dumb thing to be mad about!). Think it's some combination of being sick of that and realizing that if he wanted to try the NBA he doesn't have a lot of time left to do it. He's been successful at almost literally every single other level of basketball in the US, his career path is wild.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dejan Bimble posted:

He is strikingly ugly if you get him from a bad angle. Looks like Sauruman's special uruk-hai. Hmm
White hand
Logos
Teams
Kawhi Leonard is going to Phoenix?

if he got fat he'd look a bit like Guy Fieri