Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Iran is doing to Houthis what america did to the Taliban in Afghanistan, but only super powers are allowed to do that apparently (well who is gonna stop them I guess)

Yeah if we accept the logic that iran has full responsibilities for its proxies, then George W Bush actually did do 9/11 by that same standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Casimir Radon posted:

The Taliban are a creation of Pakistan. During the war they funneled most of the money we gave them to lovely people like Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, after skimming a ton of it for themselves that is. Gulbuddin got himself dumped and replaced with the Taliban later because he's an incompetent doofus.

The other major misconception is that we gave money to Bin Laden. No, he was running around Afghanistan with his own money, and a big part of why he founded Al Qaeda was that he was mad that we were involved in the conflict.

I mean lets also not forget that Pakistan literally sent 100,000 troops into Afghanistan providing training and support for the Taliban. They provided air support, logistics, strategic advise and lots and lots of weapons and bodies. Indeed, the reason why the Afghani Taliban even exists is because Hekmatyar made a fool of himself accomplishing nothing other than bloodshed during the siege of Kabul and Benazir Bhutto realized she made a bad bet. Accordingly, Pakistan decided to start supporting the other group of genocidal assholes who wanted to purge Tajiks and Uzbekis and the Hazara peoples for not being "real Afghanis." Surprisingly they actually had a handful of Tajik and Uzbek tribesmen among their ranks in the 90s (and still do I'm sure), and were less overtly racialized than the other various non-United Front tribal groups, but they still wanted to drive essentially all non-Pashtuns out of Afghanistan. Obviously, this is a thorny issue for peace talks.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

yes we're well aware you just want a nicer face on Trump's policies

E: this was needlessly combative so whatever dude

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 14, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

The Iron Rose posted:

E: this was needlessly combative so whatever dude

Yeah but he wasn't wrong

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
More hellworld news

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1128359413499277312?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

This hellworld sucks and I'd like to speak to the game designer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

creative cloud is a subscription service, they never owned anything though?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean sure it also means you gotta nuke whatever old versions of Adobe software you use and just eat whatever lovely new (or deleted) features/bloat are in the new versions plus watch your old projects occasionally become unopenable anymore due to a new version not being compatible.

But yes if you want to be technical you were just renting software and if you were happy with the old one that worked fine tough poo poo they can sue

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
I’m not legally authorized to use the adobe products i have now, whats the difference?

:filez:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Everything being a subscription is the worst.
I miss just buying a software key and being done with it.
Next console generation is gonna totally revolve around a monthly subscription to play first party games.
Cant wait ti see what else gets a monthly monetization fee!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

bengy81 posted:

Next console generation is gonna totally revolve around a monthly subscription to play first party games.

The only reason my laptop has ms office anymore is because the company pays for licenses. Mine expired a year ago so I had been using OpenOffice.

gently caress software subscription fees

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bengy81 posted:

They were kind of leaning towards that with the XBONE and had to back off because of the backlash.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Casimir Radon posted:

They were kind of leaning towards that with the XBONE and had to back off because of the backlash.

remember when they had some hilariously convoluted DRM/game loaning scheme and Sony made that video of just passing a game to another person

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The only problem with the XBONE model was that it was too soon. Another five years or so (so almost a decade after proposed) people will be so used to SaaS leeching their every dollar that they won't put up the same fight.

edit: I mean from a project execution standpoint. It is, of course, fundamentally evil as gently caress but this is the corporate hellworld now sorry.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 14, 2019

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
isnt the next windows/windows update supposed to be a subscription model? I think you can have factory windows but if you want updates you gotta sub

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

the only game you need is Snake on your old nokia phone

change my mind

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Nice and hot piss posted:

the only game you need is Snake on your old nokia phone

change my mind

breath of the wild is p. good imo

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
(Internet) Infrastructure Week!

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1128393319375982592?s=19

https://twitter.com/sarahjeong/status/1128393547063816192?s=19

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can take my copy of CS6 when you pry it from my cold dead hands

(I really need to get CC though, I'm missing out on cinema4d in AE and content aware fill among other stuff)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Eej posted:

I mean sure it also means you gotta nuke whatever old versions of Adobe software you use and just eat whatever lovely new (or deleted) features/bloat are in the new versions plus watch your old projects occasionally become unopenable anymore due to a new version not being compatible.

But yes if you want to be technical you were just renting software and if you were happy with the old one that worked fine tough poo poo they can sue

FYI Adobe has full versions of CS2 and Adobe Pro 7 along with a couple other things available for free on their site because they took down the licensing server but are still obligated to provide the software.

You are not allowed to visit Adobe, download this software, and then run it for free forever on your computer if you don’t have the license, of course.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
From the NY Times

quote:

WASHINGTON — Donald Trump Jr. and the Republican-controlled Senate Intelligence Committee reached a deal on Tuesday for the president’s eldest son to sit for a private interview with senators in the coming weeks that will be limited in time, an accord that should cool a heated intraparty standoff.

The deal came after an aggressive push by the younger Trump’s allies, who accused the Intelligence Committee’s chairman, Senator Richard M. Burr of North Carolina, of caving to Democrats by issuing a subpoena for the president’s son’s testimony. They called the effort a political hit job against the White House, using the president’s son as fodder.

Mr. Burr told fellow Republican senators last week that the president’s son had twice agreed to voluntary interviews but had not shown up, forcing the subpoena.

Mr. Trump’s lawyer had prepared a blistering letter to send to the committee, telling its members that Donald Trump Jr. would not submit to open-ended questions before a panel that included multiple Democrats running for president, according to people familiar with its contents. The lawyers had prepared to send the letter on Monday, facing a deadline to respond to the subpoena.

But they received a call from committee aides, asking if there was a “reasonable” path forward, according to a person familiar with the events.

The compromise was an appearance by Mr. Trump in the middle of June, with questions limited to about a half-dozen topics, with the time no longer than two to four hours, according to a person briefed. Another person, who would not be identified, contested that the scope was of the topics had been limited.

A spokeswoman for Mr. Burr declined to comment.

The move by the younger Mr. Trump’s associates was straight out of his father’s playbook — set the terms of the debate at the most extreme end of the discussion by saying he would not appear, then cut a deal and look gracious.

The agreement provides Mr. Burr with an off-ramp from the confrontation. If the younger Mr. Trump had refused to appear, the chairman would have faced a painful choice between initiating contempt of Congress proceedings against the president’s eldest son and undercutting the independence of his two-year investigation of Russian election interference by letting him defy him.

Mr. Trump personally questioned why his son would be subpoenaed after the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, had been unable to prove a conspiracy between his campaign and Russia. Though the president has declared an all-out war against Democratic inquiries in the House, he had largely left the Senate Intelligence Committee’s investigation to proceed with minimal attention.

Asked about the subpoena Monday, Mr. Trump said he viewed it as unfair.

“It’s really a tough situation because my son spent, I guess, over 20 hours testifying about something that Mueller said was 100 percent O.K.,” he told reporters at the White House. “And now they want him to testify again. I don’t know why. I have no idea why, but it seems very unfair to me.”

Mr. Burr had not commented publicly on the standoff. Privately, though, he suggested to colleagues last week that the subpoena was of the younger Mr. Trump’s own making.

He told Republican Senate colleagues at a private lunch that Donald Trump Jr. had twice agreed — once in March and once in April — to return to the committee for a voluntary interview, only to later back out. It was only after he asked to postpone again in April that the committee authorized a subpoena to compel his appearance, Mr. Burr said.

People close to Donald Trump Jr. say his position on the committee’s request had changed after the release of Mr. Mueller’s report late last month. The report indicated that Mr. Mueller’s investigators had considered charging the younger Mr. Trump in connection with an infamous June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower with a Russian lawyer promising “dirt” on Hillary Clinton. They ultimately decided against it.

Senate investigators are interested in asking the younger Mr. Trump about that meeting, as well as his knowledge of a proposed Trump Tower project in Moscow.

The younger Mr. Trump sat for an interview with committee investigators in 2017 and has met with a handful of other congressional committees for dozens of hours. The Intelligence Committee asked him back for additional questioning this time by senators themselves, who are seeking to draw their two-year investigation into Russian election interference to a close.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Well, yeah, its the senate.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

hey did you get the newest version? no?

you're sued.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I believe what this is about is going after people still using old CS versions versus paying them for CC.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/FiringLineShow/status/1128393270458048512

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Whelp,

There goes the work around for downloading the legacy versions off their website.

Not my fault your registration server died.

Someone have the infamous Iraq predictions?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Photoshop this dumbfuck into Groverhaus with a copy of CS2.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Casimir Radon posted:

I believe what this is about is going after people still using old CS versions versus paying them for CC.

I think its specifically over the cloud based subscription programs/services - Dolby is suing Adobe for copyright violations related to Adode's hinkiness in paying them for their stuff on the subscription services.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you're using any version of Photoshop or other Adobe products from 2013 to present that isn't the literal latest version then you are theoretically liable to be sued. So yeah you're safe if you download the latest version (which if you are subscribed is what you're paying for anyway) but you're boned if you have to use any older version for any of the hundred valid reasons you can think of.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

joat mon posted:

I think its specifically over the cloud based subscription programs/services - Dolby is suing Adobe for copyright violations related to Adode's hinkiness in paying them for their stuff on the subscription services.

Dolby? like dolby audio?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Dolby? like dolby audio?

Yes, Dolby Laboratories.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Dolby? like dolby audio?

No, Thomas Dolby. You haven't noticed that Photoshop plays "She Blinded Me with Science" every time it boots up?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Bring out the Gimp. Curious if somehow they go after opensource software.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I use superior japanese software CSP.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
What makes this all the more lovely is that adobe changed the way their product registrations worked in the last year for CC- you used to be able to buy X number of copies of the product for a single license key, and then install it on every computer that needed it using that shared license. This was how every school and university in the country (world?) did it, as they all tend to have shared computer labs that are used by hundreds of students.

Well, last year adobe invited all of their customer's sysadmins to webinars to tell them "Hey, we're not doing the shared key thing anymore, it it's on a PER USER basis now and we're switching over next year, eat poo poo." So they would require every student to be registered with an adobe account using their name and email (that I'm sure won't be sold to advertisers). The school then has to buy a license for every student that may be using adobe, or figure out a way to delegate them as needed, adding tons of overhead and annoyance. I don't know if they pulled the trigger on the new registration yet as I changed jobs before I had to go through the headache, but I wouldn't be surprised if this lawsuit was stick to get people to move on it- there was a lot of talk by salty admins about just never updating so they wouldn't have to deal with it.

On top of all that I'm pretty sure once you have an adobe CC account set up, it tried to default to saving all your poo poo to the cloud if it's able, so I'm willing to bet we're 5 years from them burying some legalese in the EULA that states they may choose to claim ownership or royalties on anything created in their software.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Adobe also is going to be charging you for canceling your subscription early, to the tune of the remaining amount. They're getting their money one way or the other, gently caress you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Adobe can eat my dick.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Syrian Lannister posted:

Whelp,

There goes the work around for downloading the legacy versions off their website.

Not my fault your registration server died.

Someone have the infamous Iraq predictions?

grover posted:

How long will it take to capture Baghdad? 2 days
Will Saddam be killed? Yes
Total Iraqi civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Iraq: 3000 dead
Total military casualties U.S.: 15 dead
Will the Iraqi army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the Republican Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on the Kurds? Yes
Will Saddam launch attacks on Israel? No
-If yes; will Israel retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Saddam sacrifice Baghdad (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Kurds make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Iran do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Saddam burn the oil fields? Yes
How long will the US be occupying Iraq? ~15 years
Will the Iraq war catalyze increased terrorism in America?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

well I thought police shooting people videos couldn't possibly get any worse and boy was I wrong

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
gently caress Adobe. If you still need image manipulation software check out GIMP. It does a ton if things photoshop does while being free and ethical.

Smiling Jack posted:

well I thought police shooting people videos couldn't possibly get any worse and boy was I wrong

Gonna elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chichevache posted:

gently caress Adobe. If you still need image manipulation software check out GIMP. It does a ton if things photoshop does while being free and ethical.

Gonna elaborate?

Probably the unarmed pregnant black woman getting iced from a day or two ago.