Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Carpator Diei posted:

I still can't get over the fact that the steel balls aren't even Stand abilities, nor any other sort of special power. Some people just came up with a method to do magic through creative application of Boules skills.

They're supposed to be the equivalent of Ripple I thought. Since Part 7 is kindasorta a remake of Part 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they're a utilization of the spin, yes

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I forget, can Gyro see Stands for some reason or is that just not a thing in Part 7?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

TheLoneStar posted:

On a similar vein, I always forget that Gyro only has/uses a Stand for like, five minutes in the entire Part.

Arist posted:

I forget, can Gyro see Stands for some reason or is that just not a thing in Part 7?

Jesus Christ's Turbo Eye

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah but he doesn't have that for very long, I thought.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't remember the exact sequence of events but i think that there hadn't really been overt 'physical' manifestations of stands for them to worry about up until the point where gyro gets scan from taking in the corpse eye and then beyond that it can kinda be implied that once he came in contact with that piece and all that he could see them naturally, which i guess makes sense

the actual encounter with the eye involved people being turned into actual physical dinosaurs so i don't think that having a stand had anything to do with being able to see them or not

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
One must reread part 7 to find out

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

TheLoneStar posted:

On a similar vein, I always forget that Gyro only has/uses a Stand for like, five minutes in the entire Part.

He has TWO stands, at different times, for a total of five minutes.

Never forget Ball Breaker!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Begemot posted:

He has TWO stands, at different times, for a total of five minutes.

Never forget Ball Breaker!
I actually WAS thinking Ball Breaker. Completely forgot about his second Stand. I really need to reread Steel Ball Run...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i really do want to get into a reread of part 7 but it's kind of at a point where i want to do it with a thread because i know that's gonna happen so i have to wait for that

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

no idea what the gently caress is going on in part 8

old man polnareff with silver chariot requiem stand that fucks with you constantly

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Carpator Diei posted:

I still can't get over the fact that the steel balls aren't even Stand abilities, nor any other sort of special power. Some people just came up with a method to do magic through creative application of Boules skills.
Don't forget Zombie Horse, which is literally just magic string that lets you reattach body parts.

Naples is elbow-deep in weird medical science sorcery.

EDIT: Also, SBR!Stroheim; just a cyborg chillin' in 1890.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 14, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the finest incomprehensible suture that papal money can buy

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I've been reading Part 8 since it came out and I just now noticed that all the Higashikata family men have 'King' in their stand names.

I'm disappointed in myself.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Hato, Mitsuba and Daiya do too

WalKing Heart, AwaKing III Leaves and California King Bed

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There's also a playing card theme with the women, Hato, Daiya and Kaato. Heart, Diamond and Card

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Hato, Mitsuba and Daiya do too

WalKing Heart, AwaKing III Leaves and California King Bed

I noticed California King Bed, but I didn't think to look for king inside other words. drat. I did notice the playing card theme, though.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Higashikata stands have King, Kira's stand has Queen

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
What Generation they are in also determines where the King is.

The oldest generation has it as the first part of the name. The king is the second part of the name for the middle generation, and Tsurugi as the youngest generation has it as the third part.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm learning so many patterns I didn't notice, wow.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
That kinda falls apart with Mitsuba and Hato, and only with Mistuba can you say it's because she's only married into the family.

We also don't know what Cato's Stand is or does or is called other than it has some D4C like abilities but for objects

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Expect My Mom posted:

That kinda falls apart with Mitsuba and Hato, and only with Mistuba can you say it's because she's only married into the family.

We also don't know what Cato's Stand is or does or is called other than it has some D4C like abilities but for objects

It's still the second part with Mitsuba and Hata. AwaKing and WalKing, instead of starting with King.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Caato's Stand is Queen of the Stone Age for some reason.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's still the second part with Mitsuba and Hata. AwaKing and WalKing, instead of starting with King.
I guess? I think of it as still being in the first word of the name i guess

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

probably going to wind up with the return of josuke (the dog) and his stand king crimson

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Funky Valentine posted:

Caato's Stand is Queen of the Stone Age for some reason.

Dammit, that's what I always wanted Kars' stand to be.

Edit: Also re: the King name theme, when you combine a family with King stands and a guy with a Queen stand, you get a guy with a Prince stand.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 15, 2019

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Expect My Mom posted:

There's also a playing card theme with the women, Hato, Daiya and Kaato. Heart, Diamond and Card

I think Mitsuba means three leaf clover, which would also be a card suit. I can't remember what it's called in English, but it's the black one that isn't pointy.

Edit: clubs

SpiderLink fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 15, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mitsuba's stand name is also probably a ref to the card suit of clubs, from what people can tell

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Expect My Mom posted:

It's like a mix between Enigma and D4C.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Tsurigi means sword, and that's an alternate name for the spades suit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Clubs suit is called the Clover suit in a lot of places.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it looks more like a clover anyway.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The DIU volume 1 is very much the same print and translation quality as JoJonium, but its outer design like the cover, spine and insert are better than the JoJoniums in Araki's newest style.

And it's DIU in English. What more could you ever need?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/kurakyoin/status/1128250771961630720

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Now Fun Fun Fun is back in the mix?? What is HAPPENING

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Getting super hyped for today's episode.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Is Giorno going to do the thing today, or will that be next week?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

multijoe posted:

Is Giorno going to do the thing today, or will that be next week?

It's hard to say. I remember the fights being mostly Green Day then Oasis instead of a mix, but the episode title is Green Day and Oasis Part 1 instead of just Green Day, so it might be next week.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Patware posted:

Now Fun Fun Fun is back in the mix?? What is HAPPENING

That's the guy Kira hassled into biting his own fingers off. But uhh, possibly??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's absolutely next week, this fight is like 14 chapters and Muda Muda Muda is like at the two thirds mark.

kinda lame that this fight goes Giorno and Mista vs Green Day and then Bruno vs Oasis, rather than be a frantic battle, but I guess that's better than cutting between the two like it's a one piece fight.

We also see Polnareff in some intermixed scenes