Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Riggy posted:

Sure am excited to go to war with Iran, boys. On my last deployment no less because the Army hates me.

What the gently caress.

Guess who is getting recalled or stoplossed *looks at the post below yours* :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Have fun dying in Iran so Cheeto Benito can have Bolton's walrus-stache slopping all over his toadstool.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

This was easily the dumbest field exercise I've ever been on. You could tell that the BDE doesn't have many people with experience going to Yakima anymore.

It definitely reinforced that the Army life isn't for me.

E9's are still the most useless rank in the Army. Maybe there's good ones somewhere but I've never met one.

Knowing that I'm getting out of the Army is liberating, it was extremely satisfying seeing people getting pissed off at me and then getting even more pissed off when they realized that I just didn't care. My boss also didn't care about the things people got pissed at me about which just further encouraged me to not give a poo poo.

Newer CivAffairs Officer at beginning of exercise: "Wait, so what the hell are we even supposed to do out here?"

adjacent CivAffairs NCO: 'The American Army would like to thank you for your service to your country, sir"

Even some contractors were like "guess I'll just gently caress off for 12 hours every day since they paid me to be out here without giving me a job to do."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Slim Pickens posted:

Even some contractors were like "guess I'll just gently caress off for 12 hours every day since they paid me to be out here without giving me a job to do."

Isn't this the default state of existence for contractors?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

bird food bathtub posted:

And most of garrison army when people aren’t police calling cigarette butts or mowing the lawn.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

E9's are still the most useless rank in the Army. Maybe there's good ones somewhere but I've never met one.

I'll have you know that the E-9's in my building are really good at checking my dress uniform for imperfections before I get that new DA photo. :colbert:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bird food bathtub posted:

Typically they have a job to pretend to do between posting facebook memes about millenials and watching PragerU youtube videos, not straight up "lol here's some money, do whatever"

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I got yelled at by a lot of E-9s for dumb poo poo. Met 1 that was amazing. Literally bent over backwards for soldiers if he needed to. Teaches at a college now.

The dumbest was right after we landed from a 15 month deployment. We had our PCs on because our 1 star told us to for reverse srp. Sorting my duffels from the rest when some dumb loving SGM yells at me for being in garrison and wearing a PC.

Had another who was relevant in his job 20 years prior to where we needed him. Like calling MOS jobs by their old numbers. 55 series for ammo etc. Had to be told repeatedly that regs have changed allowing ir disallowing for something.

Got told I was too fat for TV from a SGM too. He didnt tell me, he told my regional command. I found out through a cc line in an email chain.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

My first real introduction to an e9 was when I was cutting through the grass instead of walking on the sidewalk.

Exactly the way you imagine it going is probably how it went.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My accent was odd enough to throw drat near anyone that they'd be too bewildered to keep being dickheads and just move on.

Except for one sgm who called me a fuckin horse thief which threw me for a spin.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

colachute posted:

My first real introduction to an e9 was when I was cutting through the grass instead of walking on the sidewalk.

Exactly the way you imagine it going is probably how it went.

I will never forget SGM's loving LAWN in Iraq. A loving grass yard. With signs saying stay off.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

not caring here posted:

My accent was odd enough to throw drat near anyone that they'd be too bewildered to keep being dickheads and just move on.

Except for one sgm who called me a fuckin horse thief which threw me for a spin.

Are you the NPC from the intro of Skyrim?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Soulex posted:

Are you the NPC from the intro of Skyrim?

Aren't we all that NPC at one point or another?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jtj62I9BHY

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

The following document(s) have been added to your Army Military Human Resource Record (AMHRR) in iPERMS:

DOCUMENT NAME INPUT DATE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUAL/SKILLS 2019-05-15 13:02

I just got this in my email, and I’ve been out of the IRR for almost a year too. :tinfoil:

Obviously I can’t get into IPERMs to check it and it doesn’t show up in the HRC portal where vets can log in.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

I just got this in my email, and I’ve been out of the IRR for almost a year too. :tinfoil:

Obviously I can’t get into IPERMs to check it and it doesn’t show up in the HRC portal where vets can log in.

Don't worry about it. We're just checking out what resources we have available for "big things" in the future.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
There’s a lawn at AJ too. Zone one baby. Don’t step on the grass during SGM’s morale 5k during your stay

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i had a cool e9 that actually did poo poo

my first drill ever was before i went to basic since i was dep (enlisted senior yr and went the following january) we were up at devens and I had nothing issued but one set of bdus and a set of the old pt sweats.

he gave me his gortex for the weekend since it was raining, and stupid me was walking around as a e-1 with 1sg rank on, and noone knew who I was so everyone kinda sorta went to at ease for a sec when talking to me before asking how many people i signed up under the bucks for buddies program

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

DoktorLoken posted:

How do you log in?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Saw a grampa make his grandkids go back and walk around the front lawn after they cut across it today and thought of this thread, cheers

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

grampa gonna get left in a home

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I asked a retired e9 why the gently caress they care about little poo poo and he was so broke brained he didn't see how giving a poo poo about everyone's minor reg violations hurts morale and take away focus from the visions they actually cared about, especially when it became clear they would never use their rank to get privileges or help soldiers in the most toxic incarnations.

To him every little violation was emblematic of some perceived larger issue the army had and how it's soldiers that suck now.

It was a real life version of PrincipalSkinner.jpg but i was providing the contesting voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
In my community in the green Navy our E-9s believe that informality and occasional hands in pockets are causing all the issues and in turn low morale.

The higher ranks are solely those left after everyone decent skips out

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Flikken posted:

How do you log in?

https://www.hrcapps.army.mil/portal/

Your DS (which the VA also uses I think) logon should work for this.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

God drat it. God drat it.

They made me the loving PSG.

loving Guard.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Suntan Boy posted:

New thread title imo

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Suntan Boy posted:

loving Guard.

Hi, I'm your new LT. I'm 19.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

lol have fun being responsible for everything

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

what kinda guard unit btw so i may enjoy your despair more accurately

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

what kinda guard unit btw so i may enjoy your despair more accurately

It's an infantry battalion :cripes:

spacetoaster posted:

Hi, I'm your new LT. I'm 19.

She has the good grace to be in her early 20s, at least. Still most useful when spreading bad information at the 40 daily meetings I don't want to go to.

I just wanted to cruise and retire. I only had 4 years left.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 29, 2019

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

IMO that's on you for sticking it out so long as enlisted infantry. :laugh:

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

poo poo, sorry, I'm a medic. I probably could've been clearer on that, but I've been drinking since I found out. But retiring as enlisted anything yeah, me dumb.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So you do what, keep count of how much Motrin gets used? Doesn't seem too bad

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

also "hey what's this growing on my dick"

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Just gently caress with your soldiers about their hair or find some dumb uniform poo poo to hound on.

Bam, fast track to CSM.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Suntan Boy posted:

poo poo, sorry, I'm a medic. I probably could've been clearer on that, but I've been drinking since I found out. But retiring as enlisted anything yeah, me dumb.

so is this like hq platoon sgt or something then?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

DoktorLoken posted:

also "hey what's this growing on my dick"

it appears to be a mushroom

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

DoktorLoken posted:

also "hey, Sarn Major, what's this growing on my dick"

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

so is this like hq platoon sgt or something then?

Headquarters company, running the medical platoon. Splitting hairs, kind of, but it's large and arcane enough that everybody else is happy to let medical be its own thing.

Slim Pickens posted:

So you do what, keep count of how much Motrin gets used? Doesn't seem too bad

It could be way worse; I could still be active. Now I don't have to give a poo poo if someone goes to jail.

It's mostly handling the logistics of setting up and running an aid station, making sure ranges and exercises are covered, occasional evac, and teaching CLS ad nauseum, along with vaccines and mass HIV screenings. I've got about 40 people, 9 mostly broken FLAs, and around 100 chests of poo poo to do it with. That part is kind of a pain in the rear end since this unit spends nearly every drill in the field, but I've done it before.

It's also staying on top of supply and maintenance orders, getting people to recert training and other schools, handling pay issues, navigating office politics, and other assorted managerial bullshit that comes with running a big, visible section. That's also kind of a pain in the rear end, but still not new.

What loving sucks about this is all the unscheduled, unpaid time vampire bullshit that level of leadership has to handle outside of drill. Conference call meetings, emails, texts, and phone calls about everything operational and administrative. "Dude is ghosting a background check instigator, please handle it." "Newbie can't make a CIF appointment before an all-field AT because the one at AIT hosed up her turn in, what do?"

I have a job, kids, and school. I finally have a life outside of the goddamn army. I just want to live it without a needledicked specter in velcro fetish camouflage pajamas constantly hanging in my periphery.

I think I'm gonna try to get fired.

Suntan Boy fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Hey

The army sucks

See ya