Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

must have gotten a great replacement to burn that one publicly

oh huh yeah reported by ncsc, guess they have to release sonething big looking from time to time to show willing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah I think that's why it doesn't impact newer OS's, they stopped supporting legacy RDP auth because that all old lovely XP/2003 could do but we're well pass end of their service life and MS is actually shutting off legacy protocols by default in their new releases

yeah, NLA is required on windows 8+/server 2012+ so they are safe. they should have switched it so have you turn NLA explictly off with an update for 7/2008r2 when xp/2003 went eol but that's microsoft :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ah, its the legacy RDP and you can mitigate with NLA. This isn't so bad unless your shop completely sucks rear end. push a GPO to only support RDP with NLA and you're covered, no patch needed

that only mitigates the unauthenticated attack. it sounds like if you have valid creds you basically get a privilege elevation exploit

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

that only mitigates the unauthenticated attack. it sounds like if you have valid creds you basically get a privilege elevation exploit

Yeah I believe that but still better than nothing

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

let's add this bullshit to the pile today: https://cpu.fail/

all intel cpus since nehalem vulnerable to some degree of side channel attacks, some of which can only be mitigated fully by disabling hyperthreading entirely

yikes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Yeah I believe that but still better than nothing

its good worm potential. I wonder if limiting RDP users works or if the exploit occurs after authentication but before authorization

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If anyone needs to push this manually via reg keys for non-gpo systems,

NLA Required:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp Dword:UserAuthentication value 1

128-bit encryption only:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp Dword:MinEncryptionLevel value 3

TLS 1.0 only:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp Dword:SecurityLayer value 2

Encrypted RPC Calls:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp Dword:fEncryptRPCTraffic value 1

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

my credit union used to use a transfer system with an arbitrary code-word field like that. my spidey sense tingled pretty hard the one time i used it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Number19 posted:

let's add this bullshit to the pile today: https://cpu.fail/

all intel cpus since nehalem vulnerable to some degree of side channel attacks, some of which can only be mitigated fully by disabling hyperthreading entirely

yikes

these are the "Lenovo microcode" CVEs we were talking about earlier

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

pseudorandom name posted:

these are the "Lenovo microcode" CVEs we were talking about earlier

oh ok. there's been a lot of poo poo flying around today

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm getting really loving sick of meltdown may

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sereri posted:

Blow it out your aes

holy poo poo

animist
Aug 28, 2018
up next, spectre september

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its the ghost of applications past!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lain Iwakura posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1128294423585071104?s=20

bloomberg is a reputable publication that should report on security more often because it does a good job at that

the bbc this morning covered the story by opening with "hackers have broken whatsapp's secure encryption!"

guys words mean things

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

the pitbull glock but with computer

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
All Computers Are Broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Computer Serf posted:

this is true tho

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

the amd ones seem fine for now. probably something to do with having actual consideration for security implications in their architecture instead of blindly chasing IPC gains

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
so I’ve only heard blurbs about the WhatsApp attack while traveling, did they break out of the iOS sandbox or did the hack just affect WhatsApp, the news snippets made it sound like they could get complete control of the phone but “Infosec journalism”

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

the amd ones seem fine for now. probably something to do with having actual consideration for security implications in their architecture instead of blindly chasing IPC gains

is this true? or is it just coincidence that intel has been hit harder so far

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

it turns out that when you cheat and cut corners with your designs with the goal of improving speed at any cost you tend to create security vulnerabilities. i'm kind of laughing at the fact that the hardware fixes in the newest coffee lake processors seem to make at least meltdown easier, probably because intel rushed to fix the problem without really paying full attention to the implications of their fix

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is this true? or is it just coincidence that intel has been hit harder so far

amd had some exposure to spectre like everyone else did, but none of the other side-channel attacks seem to have affected them (or at least there is no proven exploit for AMD to date)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

wyoak posted:

so I’ve only heard blurbs about the WhatsApp attack while traveling, did they break out of the iOS sandbox or did the hack just affect WhatsApp, the news snippets made it sound like they could get complete control of the phone but “Infosec journalism”

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Computer Serf posted:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

animist posted:

up next, spectre september

... what happened to June, July and August?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

endlessmonotony posted:

buffer overflow corrupted the next-month pointer

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

wyoak posted:

I was curious about this. It supposedly effects Android, iOS, and Windows Phone. If it really has all of the surveillance capabilities stated in some of the articles, I'd imagine it's a serious deal if they were able to craft an attack that works for multiple very different platforms and get out of sandboxing in each. It's supposedly government sponsored, so maybe they had tons of resources, but that still seams like a Big Problem either way.

Soricidus posted:

buffer overflow corrupted the next-month pointer

The date still seems fine to me. I'm looking at my calendar and it's still 2018-17-14 so I don't see any problems there.

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 15, 2019

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

endlessmonotony posted:

black hat/def con talk hype wasteland

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

realistically AMD has missed all the side channel attacks because they don’t have the resources to go fast, but the end result is still funny

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

pseudorandom posted:

It supposedly effects Android, iOS, and Windows Phone.

no, it doesn't :ughh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/mds.html
lmao intel strikes again

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

i like how that page implies hyperthreading is barely worth anything, despite it being the main selling point of their top-tier desktop processors over lower-tier ones for the better part of a decade.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mr.Radar posted:

i like how that page implies hyperthreading is barely worth anything, despite it being the main selling point of their top-tier desktop processors over lower-tier ones for the better part of a decade.

Yeah, that confused me too. Like: Hyperthreading was their big dunk on AMD for nearly 5 years, and is still regularly referenced in performance tests as an Intel advantage.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

AMD is about to have superior 4-way SMT across their entire range of of Zen2 silicon while Intel is constantly telling people to turn it off because theirs is a liability and they can only do 4-way on their most high-end xeons. Of course they're going to be downplaying it now

mystes
May 31, 2006

AMD is about to have superior 4-way SMT across their entire range of of Zen2 silicon while Intel is constantly telling people to turn it off because theirs is a liability and they can only do 4-way on their most high-end xeons. Of course they're going to be downplaying it now
Isn't it also possible that Intel has simply realized that HT is going to be a continuing source of processor vulnerabilities affecting cloud platforms, which are a major part of their business now, so they're trying to lay the groundwork for eventually deprecating it entirely?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

mystes posted:

Isn't it also possible that Intel has simply realized that HT is going to be a continuing source of processor vulnerabilities affecting cloud platforms, which are a major part of their business now, so they're trying to lay the groundwork for eventually deprecating it entirely?

No. HT benefits are too significant, Intel just got incredibly lazy in their pursuit of IPC gains and shot themselves in the foot hard. The tech, at its core, is extremely good and here to stay. More could be done at the OS resources scheduler to keep low integrity threads off the same virtual core as something with high integrity handling key material or whatever but that's some heavy lifting to do and will take a while to get there. AMD isn't having these problems because they did some amount of sanity checking on their speculative execution instead of letting it run loving wild like Intel.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
there's probably some amd designer that's been spending years trying to do fast speculative execution that doesn't leak a bunch of state between virtual cores, and being frustrated that they just can't quite get it as fast as intel.

i guess they'd be feeling a little vindicated now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is Chronicle’s Backstory IDS any good?

I heard an interesting sponsor thing on Risky Business but that guy gives good interview so it might not actually be good?

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So I don't exactly know what to make of this, but Lenovo lists at least 4 AMD systems on their page of systems vulnerable to MDS which will get patches, specifically the ThinkPad A-series.
Unfortunately my T420 isn't on that list yet. :(