Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, SevTech is pretty great, but absolutely no storyline. Blightfall is still in a league of its own.

I tried SevTech when it released, but it was just... too much. I think I got up to Totems and starting Abyssalcraft and never continued. I’m toying around in Revelations kitchen sink right now just to familiarize myself with changes since I last played. I really got into Infinity Evolved Expert (and Skyblock), but every expert/progression pack since has seemed at first glance to have a serious increase in grind/time, whereas I’m mostly care about progression that ties mods together. Is that impression wrong? Is there a 1.12 expert/progression pack that relies more on gating progression on intertwining mods than on incredibly tedious grind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Patware posted:

The hookup technically works, it will produce the shards, but it will also mysteriously jam

I've got a golem on my alembics, will another one operate the thaumatorium properly? I never tried putting one on it

The real answer is to use Thaumic Energistics.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Black Pants posted:

The real answer is to use Thaumic Energistics.

i just want to put lure 3 on my rod so i can make water breathing potions without wanting to die to go get the tech caches! my needs are simple and these pipes are a terror

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

escalator dropdown posted:

I tried SevTech when it released, but it was just... too much. I think I got up to Totems and starting Abyssalcraft and never continued. I’m toying around in Revelations kitchen sink right now just to familiarize myself with changes since I last played. I really got into Infinity Evolved Expert (and Skyblock), but every expert/progression pack since has seemed at first glance to have a serious increase in grind/time, whereas I’m mostly care about progression that ties mods together. Is that impression wrong? Is there a 1.12 expert/progression pack that relies more on gating progression on intertwining mods than on incredibly tedious grind?

Enigmatica 2: expert

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Patware posted:

The hookup technically works, it will produce the shards, but it will also mysteriously jam

I've got a golem on my alembics, will another one operate the thaumatorium properly? I never tried putting one on it

Are the pipes crossing chunk boundaries?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

McFrugal posted:

Are the pipes crossing chunk boundaries?

i'll take a look. my gut is that it shouldn't matter since i'm staring it down but it almost certainly will matter, because life is a nightmare

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Patware posted:

Q-Q-QUADRA EDIT: IT STOPPED AGAIN COME ON

i don't exactly know that this will help, but iirc thaumcraft, especially 1.7 and *especially* especially blightfall's version (which was also horrifically bad about dropping energized nodes' relay connections) was... very bad at respecting pipe connections; if two pipes are next to eachother, even if they are 'disconnected' iirc they can mess with eachother.

You might want to look into an essentia-buffer based solution; as I recall, the magic bullet to 1.7 thaumcraft (i haven't touched it since) was to use essentia buffers for every single piece so you can secure flow with input/output only banding, and create additional space so that the pipe can handle 'ghost' vacuum/pressure/essentia coloration from bad piping code

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I'm downloading too many modpacks off the twitch launcher right now and I basically have one question. What are "expert" modpacks? What is the difference between e2 and e2e?

I've honestly never really done a progression pack (I've dabbled in sevtech and enjoyed it but my time to play is limited) and I want something to get me up to speed with the current state of mods.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

LeFishy posted:

I'm downloading too many modpacks off the twitch launcher right now and I basically have one question. What are "expert" modpacks? What is the difference between e2 and e2e?

I've honestly never really done a progression pack (I've dabbled in sevtech and enjoyed it but my time to play is limited) and I want something to get me up to speed with the current state of mods.

There are two types.

1. Grind. Some expert pack developer believe "expert" requires the old Gregtech levels of grind.

2. Integration . Other (better), pack developers believe "expert" means that a player is familiar with most mods and is able to gather resources from most of them. There is some level of grind added in these as well, but they focus on cross usage of resources between mods.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah 90% of the time it just means every major recipe is way more expensive.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

"Expert" mode also usually means there's only one way to solve a problem; you want a slime crystal, you have to use x mod's macguffin machine, which you can only and exclusively make through Forestry's carpenter, which requires you to have built a wither grinder

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I played a bit of enigmatica 2 expert and it's a lot of things but "not grindy" is not one of them IMO.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
So I'm going through Skyfactory 4 and I am having a hell of a time making power stuff work. Maybe I am just to used to using Thermal Expansion energy cells, but RFtoolspower Powercells don't seem to want to accept energy, and Integrated Dynamics' Energy Battery does not seem to want to output it, even if I shift+right click them in my inventory.

Advice?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ash Rose posted:

So I'm going through Skyfactory 4 and I am having a hell of a time making power stuff work. Maybe I am just to used to using Thermal Expansion energy cells, but RFtoolspower Powercells don't seem to want to accept energy, and Integrated Dynamics' Energy Battery does not seem to want to output it, even if I shift+right click them in my inventory.

Advice?

Integrated Dynamics' Energy Battery isn't a device that emits power. If ID is configured to consume energy for operation, the Energy Battery stores it for your ID logic network. Most packs don't require this.

RFTools powercells have to be configured per side whether they accept or emit energy. Right click with a wrench to set a particular side, or you can set the entire device to either accept or emit energy in the GUI.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Integrated Dynamics' Energy Battery isn't a device that emits power. If ID is configured to consume energy for operation, the Energy Battery stores it for your ID logic network. Most packs don't require this.

RFTools powercells have to be configured per side whether they accept or emit energy. Right click with a wrench to set a particular side, or you can set the entire device to either accept or emit energy in the GUI.

Thanks! got my powercell working. Now back to figuring out what the gently caress I was trying to accomplish in the first place...

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Ash Rose posted:

Thanks! got my powercell working. Now back to figuring out what the gently caress I was trying to accomplish in the first place...

If you're not on prestige mode, you can also just use Flux Networks, which has both energy storage and wireless transfer.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Haven't played Minecraft in literally years and I see the OP hasn't been updated in about as long; may I ask what's the best/most useful mod launcher to use these days?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hungry posted:

Haven't played Minecraft in literally years and I see the OP hasn't been updated in about as long; may I ask what's the best/most useful mod launcher to use these days?

The Twitch standalone application, oddly enough. It used to be the Curse launcher, which is what the World of Warcraft folks use to install mods. Curse got purchased by Twitch, and now the Twitch launcher is the easiest way to play modded minecraft.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The Twitch standalone application, oddly enough. It used to be the Curse launcher, which is what the World of Warcraft folks use to install mods. Curse got purchased by Twitch, and now the Twitch launcher is the easiest way to play modded minecraft.

Never would have guessed that. Very straightforward once I got it running, thanks!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I actually really like the MultiMC launcher listed in the OP better than twitch.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

bird food bathtub posted:

I actually really like the MultiMC launcher listed in the OP better than twitch.
Even then I find myself using Twitch to grab the packs first, and just migrate them to MultiMC to actually play.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Even then I find myself using Twitch to grab the packs first, and just migrate them to MultiMC to actually play.

https://github.com/Vazkii/CMPDL

That being said, if you want to cobble together your own pack from disparate mods, or add/remove mods, the Twitch launcher is still the best tool.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought I'd dabble with Sky Factory 4 a little bit. Is there a real way to turn off mob griefing? I've had two mob farms blow up when a mob hit a creeper and the creeper retaliated by blowing up the attacker--and my mob farm with them. It doesn't looks like the mob griefing rule is getting honored.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought I'd dabble with Sky Factory 4 a little bit. Is there a real way to turn off mob griefing? I've had two mob farms blow up when a mob hit a creeper and the creeper retaliated by blowing up the attacker--and my mob farm with them. It doesn't looks like the mob griefing rule is getting honored.

ancestal sorc.
Illumination wand

turns any block indestrcutable.

super early, but gated behind finding 1 constellation paper.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

/gamerule mobGriefing false

Worked fine for me. Note mobGriefing is case-sensitive.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SynthesisAlpha posted:

. (And Gregtech: New Horizons screeching autistically in the corner.)
Gregtech packs are great community server packs. It just shifts goals from "build everything in a day" in the typical skyblock/kitchen sink to "make some progress today, make some progress tomorrow". Just need to get used to the pacing and set expectations. Spending a few hour play session to craft one block is a big accomplishment. That was Greg's goal, to make a sustainable server that people could play for months without reaching the end of the content.

The biggest problem with most packs is it takes a few hours to get flight and endless ore, and at that point you've transcended all the gameplay systems and can either just pointlessly craft more stuff or stop playing. Gregtech, Sevtech Ages, some expert packs but not all, and to some extent the latest incarnation of goon run Progress all attempt to draw it out in an enjoyable way.

Stupid amounts of subcrafting tasks (a gregtech staple), hunger mods that force you to rotate foods (the nutrition kind where you need to maintain dairy/grain/vegetable/fruit are good extensions of the vanilla system), and pam's harvestcraft having a thousand vegetables that flood your inventory are the worst things about modded mc. I only point the pam's thing out because it's in every pack, and the rest of mod is actually good and cool. But the number of seeds/vegetables is not designed for minecraft's inventory system. It's designed for another game with a different inventory system. That mod desperately needs an endless seed/vegetable bag that just auto sucks them all into it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 17, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

Stupid amounts of subcrafting tasks (a gregtech staple), hunger mods that force you to rotate foods (the nutrition kind where you need to maintain dairy/grain/vegetable/fruit are good extensions of the vanilla system), and pam's harvestcraft having a thousand vegetables that flood your inventory are the worst things about modded mc. I only point the pam's thing out because it's in every pack, and the rest of mod is actually good and cool. But the number of seeds/vegetables is not designed for minecraft's inventory system. It's designed for another game with a different inventory system. That mod desperately needs an endless seed/vegetable bag that just auto sucks them all into it.

This is no joke. I am stuck in vanilla chest hell in my FTB Interactions playthrough because of the sheer number of ores, intermediate crafting materials, and other detritus.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

This is no joke. I am stuck in vanilla chest hell in my FTB Interactions playthrough because of the sheer number of ores, intermediate crafting materials, and other detritus.
I'd like to give a big shout out to Thermal Expansion for moving away from this. A non-excessive number of widgets that follow highly predictable recipes is fine by me.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 17, 2019

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Khorne posted:

I only point the pam's thing out because it's in every pack, and the rest of mod is actually good and cool. But the number of seeds/vegetables is not designed for minecraft's inventory system. It's designed for another game with a different inventory system. That mod desperately needs an endless seed/vegetable bag that just auto sucks them all into it.
I couldn't agree more. Just immediately zap all my Pam's harvests to a chest somewhere, or stuff it in a bag. I too am playing FTB:I and man it clogs the hell out of my inventory so much that even when I go to harvest my fields with nothing else going on I have to make multiple dropoffs.

Also not really related but I wish, somehow, Minecraft could take a page from Terraria and let you use items straight from your inventory. Having to constantly keep multiple hotbar slots empty so I can slot in whatever I need to use/throw/place down is a real hassle sometimes, whether building or adventuring.
And maybe a hotkey you could hold to bring out the appropriate tool (or a torch) without having to manually swap to it would help, too.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Also not really related but I wish, somehow, Minecraft could take a page from Terraria and let you use items straight from your inventory. Having to constantly keep multiple hotbar slots empty so I can slot in whatever I need to use/throw/place down is a real hassle sometimes, whether building or adventuring.
And maybe a hotkey you could hold to bring out the appropriate tool (or a torch) without having to manually swap to it would help, too.

Don't forget about the Pick Block key. It's not quite what you want, but it's very handy.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Khorne posted:

That was Greg's goal, to make a sustainable server that people could play for months without reaching the end of the content.

Greg's goal wasn't to craft a lengthy gameplay experience, it was to ensure he'd always be king dick on his server and force everyone else into the subcrafting grind to try and catch up just in time for him to drop the next level of tedious bullshit.

As for, say, Spice of Life? It sucks. Nutrition is WAY better at encouraging people to eat different foods; maintaining levels of nutrients is a positive feedback way of getting people to do more than just stuff their faces with baked potatoes.

One thing to note about Pam's is you can pick up the gardens without breaking them, which saves a lot of inventory space in the early game. Later on, I generally don't plant more than 8 of a given crop type. More than that tends to absolutely flood your inventory beyond reason every time you go out for a harvest. A bag that only stores Pam seeds and crops in your inventory would be nice to have, so long as it interacted properly with Storage Drawers or other methods of dumping mass inventory.

Overall I really prefer the design of "expert" packs that focus on having you touch different mods as part of the same supply chain instead of gratuitously grindy crafting tasks or needing to "beat" each mod to touch the next one. It's a lot of work to do, though.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
pretty sure you could make a Pam's bag with thermal expansion sacks. and a strongbox to dump it to, hooked to a storage drawers system /blockheads kitchen.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I never knew I needed this mod until it showed up randomly in this pack.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
FTB:Interactions question. With the absolute safety of the Sky Dimension, the growing (and eventually block-breaking) threats in the Overworld, and the ubiquity of teleporters, would it be a smart move to make a permanent base in the sky, and just use the Overworld for mining expeditions/resource gathering? If not for the loading screen between them I think it might be an easier decision, but I might be missing something obvious.

DawnOfMinstrel
Jun 27, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

pretty sure you could make a Pam's bag with thermal expansion sacks. and a strongbox to dump it to, hooked to a storage drawers system /blockheads kitchen.

I don't think you'd even need the strongbox: you can dump the inventory of a TE backpack directly to a drawer (with a double right click or shift right click, I think), it should work with a drawer controller.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

FTB:Interactions question. With the absolute safety of the Sky Dimension, the growing (and eventually block-breaking) threats in the Overworld, and the ubiquity of teleporters, would it be a smart move to make a permanent base in the sky, and just use the Overworld for mining expeditions/resource gathering? If not for the loading screen between them I think it might be an easier decision, but I might be missing something obvious.

As far as I can tell the only reason to move is load times and being tired of dealing with a sky map (the latter is the reason I started setting up in the Overworld ASAP even if it ends up harder, I just don't like being in a skyblock if I have an alternative)

to further FTB:I, is there any way to automate this drat clay kiln so i can get charcoal blocks without wanting to die

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Patware posted:

As far as I can tell the only reason to move is load times and being tired of dealing with a sky map (the latter is the reason I started setting up in the Overworld ASAP even if it ends up harder, I just don't like being in a skyblock if I have an alternative)

to further FTB:I, is there any way to automate this drat clay kiln so i can get charcoal blocks without wanting to die

Is that the primitive tech kiln? with a hopper above and a heat hopper below?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Patware posted:

Haven't tried FTB:I, yet, but if it's Primal Tech then there should be a flame grilled whopper which both acts as a heat source and automatically pulls completed items out. Slap a hopper+chest or pipe in wood into the top of the kiln and away you go.

^: :argh:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

So, I decided to jump into the modded Minecraft deep-end, and play Sky Factory 4. I haven't played Minecraft in a very long time; I was amused to see that my skin was still set to Matt Smith's Doctor.

I felt very nudged through the first tab. Things were set up quite well, and I just worked my way through most of it, along with a smattering of stuff from other tabs. I just finished up a barrel-and-hopping-bonsai detour, and I'm just stalled out at what to do next. I think the obvious next steps are probably gated by basic Minecraft knowledge I just have never picked up. To start quartz production, I need some quartz, but there doesn't seem to be any way of getting any, things like that.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Patware posted:

Conveyors can be built as soon as you get a rubber sapling. Put them on extract and they'll work just fine pulling only the finished products from kilns.