Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

this is the reddest flag

That's the definitive "NOPE" flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

this is a bit lame and rather brit politics quip, still:

uncurable mlady posted:

this is the reddest flag

quote:

Then raise the scarlet standard high.
Beneath its shade we'll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We'll keep the red flag flying here.

it works pretty well for places with terrible management

it's from the Labour party official anthem, "the red flag", which starts with "the people's flag is the deepest red"

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 15, 2019

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Had what could only be described as an 'adversarial' interview yesterday. Rather than a conversation interviewer needling in a raising tone looking for specific 'right' answers. Really sucks because A) He's the VP. B) Every other session went great. But even if offered I don't think i'd want to work under someone like that.

i had an interview like that at my last job, it was with the director of the larger 50-person group and I thought about walking away over it

in the end it was fine though, pretty good place to work, the guy was good to work with even, he just had a boner for negging people in interviews apparently (the rest of the process/interviewers were care bears level pleasant) :shrug:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Bloody posted:

just lol if you aren't situated to give the feedback to c-levels or at least directors/svps

the CTO and 2 VPs that used to listen to us left. funny how things started going downhill afterwards!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

ratbert90 posted:

That's the definitive "NOPE" flag.

The guy interviewing me dismissed it because it's "impossible" to estimate timelines when you don't know the features it needs, so it makes sense for the executive to just give a date. This guy said he would potentially be my boss

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i guess you could do that but i'm going to assume that "cut down the project to realistically meet that date" isn't part of the analysis

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Found that this is a thing and people actually use it.

https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/

Why yes, I want to read 10 page CVs that this poo poo inevitably leads to... :thunk:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Right, but it's mostly the complete lack of awareness that it's possible to *wait* to set a deadline until after it's clearer what actually needs to be done. Setting an arbitrary deadline reeks of someone who is clueless trying to be meaningful or exert their authority in a pointless way.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

hayden. posted:

The guy interviewing me dismissed it because it's "impossible" to estimate timelines when you don't know the features it needs, so it makes sense for the executive to just give a date. This guy said he would potentially be my boss

Hey, that sounds 100% like my old employer! Why no, giving deadlines per-feature as they come in just isn't possible! Why do you ask?!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I just (politely) walked out of my first interview. I show up for the first on-site interview and it turns out it's a technical interview, which wasn't communicated at all. I sat with two engineers who said hello and then immediately tasked me with white boarding some algorithm and data structure problems, when I was really just more showing up to see if it was a good fit. They said they didn't have any questions for me, only the whiteboard exercise. I told them I didn't have a CS background and have never had a reason to memorize or frankly even use algorithm knowledge and that it seemed I wasn't what they were looking for. The job ad mentioned that they build scalable software and they recommended a CS degree (like seemingly every job listing) but it wasn't clear it was an absolute necessity. I thanked them for their time and left after a very awkward conversation about how I didn't want to wedge myself into a role when I was clearly not what they were looking for.

It was a senior level role, but the compensation range given me was close to the non-senior title roles I've been given offers to already. I guess good luck finding candidates with faang style interviews and only paying 100k in downtown Denver.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Not a Children posted:

The only correct response to an adversarial interview is to call them on their bullshit and/or walk out

If this is how they treat a stranger they're ostensibly trying to impress, how do you think they'll treat you once you're in the fold?

Agreed. I should have but it was the last of 5 sessions and the other 4 went really well. I can't even say it was good practice.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

hayden. posted:

I just (politely) walked out of my first interview. I show up for the first on-site interview and it turns out it's a technical interview, which wasn't communicated at all. I sat with two engineers who said hello and then immediately tasked me with white boarding some algorithm and data structure problems, when I was really just more showing up to see if it was a good fit. They said they didn't have any questions for me, only the whiteboard exercise. I told them I didn't have a CS background and have never had a reason to memorize or frankly even use algorithm knowledge and that it seemed I wasn't what they were looking for. The job ad mentioned that they build scalable software and they recommended a CS degree (like seemingly every job listing) but it wasn't clear it was an absolute necessity. I thanked them for their time and left after a very awkward conversation about how I didn't want to wedge myself into a role when I was clearly not what they were looking for.

It was a senior level role, but the compensation range given me was close to the non-senior title roles I've been given offers to already. I guess good luck finding candidates with faang style interviews and only paying 100k in downtown Denver.

lmbo at simultaneously scoffing at the prospect of having to know some algorithms and data structures and also expecting a big boy salary

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ploft-shell crab posted:

lmbo at simultaneously scoffing at the prospect of having to know some algorithms and data structures and also expecting a big boy salary

i think hes saying that since it wasn't a big boy salary he shouldn't need to know data structures and algorithms

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

like whiteboarding is bad

but also lmao wtf

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

hobbesmaster posted:

i think hes saying that since it wasn't a big boy salary he shouldn't need to know data structures and algorithms

100k is more than double the US median income

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ploft-shell crab posted:

100k is more than double the US median income

depends on the city obviously but 100k for a senior role is pretty pathetic in a lot of places

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

100k is the average for a non senior software role in Colorado. I don't have an issue with white board interviews, it was more the lack of communication/advertising about the need for that knowledge for the role, the lack of personal interest in me aside from the ability to draw on a white board, and especially because from what I can tell it's not a very integral part of the job. How often do you need to use memorization of algorithms when doing web development stuff? Also considering that I now have two offers in the same range not knowing any computer science stuff just reinforces they probably need to up their budget.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what are those jobs doing?

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
getting an offer from one of the big boys. it will be approx a 50% raise. I promised myself I’d negotiate no matter what but jfc am I gonna be bluffing

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
which team should i join

the team devoted to breaking up the monolithic .net application into services, thereby (theoretically) making the lives of all its developers better, despite the team’s manager being in his role for his technical chops rather than his emotional intelligence and people instincts

or the team with an excellent manager and team dynamic, fully empowered to make the technical decisions to make to meet their deliverable goals, all of which largely require writing one-off python scripts to shovel data around

or put more succinctly, does fun tech with a mediocre work dynamic beat mediocre tech with a great work dynamic, or vice versa

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Flat Daddy posted:

getting an offer from one of the big boys. it will be approx a 50% raise. I promised myself I’d negotiate no matter what but jfc am I gonna be bluffing

as long as you’re willing to accept “no that’s what you get” you can’t lose

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it’s easier to fix a program than it is to fix a team

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

raminasi posted:

which team should i join

the team devoted to breaking up the monolithic .net application into services, thereby (theoretically) making the lives of all its developers better, despite the team’s manager being in his role for his technical chops rather than his emotional intelligence and people instincts

or the team with an excellent manager and team dynamic, fully empowered to make the technical decisions to make to meet their deliverable goals, all of which largely require writing one-off python scripts to shovel data around

or put more succinctly, does fun tech with a mediocre work dynamic beat mediocre tech with a great work dynamic, or vice versa
my gut feeling says to prefer the latter

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
those are both bad options. join the team where you'll learn the most and gain the most marketable skills when you leave in 12-18 months for more figgies. so probably the .net microservices thing.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

MononcQc posted:

it’s easier to fix a program than it is to fix a team

i dislike even “good” python. and i’m also under the impression that the questionable manager is questionable due to lack of experience and instinct, not due to antipathy (or even apathy) towards the idea of being good at management.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

just from what youve posted, absolutely #1 -- #2 seems like poo poo work

if you know the mgr in #1 actually sucks, then yeah, pass -- but if you just met them briefly and weren't struck down by their charm, thats kind of different

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

just from what youve posted, absolutely #1 -- #2 seems like poo poo work

if you know the mgr in #1 actually sucks, then yeah, pass -- but if you just met them briefly and weren't struck down by their charm, thats kind of different

i’m almost directly quoting his reports, which squares with my (few) personal interactions

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

hobbesmaster posted:

what are those jobs doing?

:iiam:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

raminasi posted:

which team should i join

#2 sounds like etl which is a junior dev job.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ever heard the saying that people quit because of bad managers? People also stay because of excellent managers.

But just do whatever feels right.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Was referred to Google and was rejected before even taking to a recruiter. Rip

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Phraggah posted:

Was referred to Google and was rejected before even taking to a recruiter. Rip

heh. I feel something like that is happening to me. recruiting coordinator claims to have been reaching out to the directors EA for the past 10 days to get a call scheduled and nothing so far.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

take the python job then aggressively lobby to migrate from python to a real language. win win

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

take the python job then aggressively lobby to migrate from python to a real language. win win

how many times has this worked for anyone

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shaggar posted:

#2 sounds like etl which is a junior dev job.

shaggar was.............. right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

shaggar was.............. right?

yeah, senior developers invent other names for the etl stuff they do all day

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Bloody posted:

you're not gonna talk the pigs out of the poo poo. they're happy in their filth. they choose to wallow in it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah, senior developers invent other names for the etl stuff they do all day

they are working on a strategic distributed high performance data platform, the junior guys are writing scripts to run in aws and scrape competitor's prices.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i got my last team to sunset our lovely python tools in favor of writing new ones rust and then once that was wildly successful we went back and started rewriting old ones in rust too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I'm the only developer here and have just started the transition off of Groovy/Grails to Kotlin/Spring Boot. Also from writing "all code must be covered by automated tests" in the coding standards to actually writing automated tests. (Currently at 100% coverage in my new project!)