Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

LoreOfSerpents posted:

That sounds like a very effective way of spreading it, considering pieces of the stems can become new plants. :zombie:

True, eh, but picturing the walk back to the house now I think I avoided that. That one patch is already well established, so no harm done breaking off pieces within.

It's almost a thousand feet from the house, thankfully, and hasn't gotten closer in the subsequent 20 years - now I'm curious why

[edit] top of the page so I'll add a picture: house is on the right, while that building to the left of the menace is actually the town well/pumphouse, so I bet they've had some discussions about the situation

Nosre fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Nosre posted:

Holy poo poo, we have that on my parent's farm in new hampshire but I had no idea it was that until now - we just called it bamboo. As a kid I'd get broomsticks and spend hours pretending to be Donatello whacking through bamboo canes, because they give an extremely satisfying pulpy, watery explosion.

It's still there, so I can't recommend that method for control, but it's definitely fun.

Lucky for you it wasn't Giant Hogweed!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/02/us/giant-hogweed-nyt.html

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cogon grass is our local nemesis, and apparently some kind of taro in swamps. The cogon grass is pretty killable with roundup, but hand weeding is completely useless and it always seems to pop up in the middle of something where you can't really spray it.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

taqueso posted:

You are making me want to bonsai something. Now to find a brick...

I see someone has been following my adventures in the bonsai thread :D

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jestery posted:

I see someone has been following my adventures in the bonsai thread :D

I saw it on the gardening discord.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

taqueso posted:

I saw it on the gardening discord.

Ahhh, well there you go

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ColdPie posted:

Despite the rabbits' best efforts and the bitterly cold winter, all three of our grapevines came back real strong this spring. If you like reading words about plants, I wrote up a blog post about year 2 of my Minnesota grape growing effort with photos of each vine.

Hey grapegoon! I'm trying to get some vines going myself and was wondering if you had any thoughts. We planted back in late Spring / early Summer 2018, probably too late really (NC, so Spring is pretty warm). But I think they established themselves pretty well anyway, because there is lots of growth this season. Ours are somewhat unorthodox, on a fence, which is probably not optimal, but we're sort of trying to achieve double purposes of making our fence look neat and also getting grapes.

Anyway, by the end of last year's growing season, some of them had gotten partway up the fence, but in Winter they were all down to the nubs -- which from what I've read is normal. I'm not sure if that really counts as a full "first year" or if we're in sort of a "second first year" situation. But currently, they're all starting to make their way up the fence again -- one of them is still having a little bit of trouble really gripping on, but it probably will.

I haven't been diligent about pruning yet, though -- and I probably should, although I've read some places that say you can wait it out a little just in case any shoots break. Either way, I think this is the year I'm supposed to be establishing the trunk on each of them. However, there is one that already has two shoots that both look like they could make viable trunks. I'm not sure if I should let them keep going a while longer or chop one off right away; and if so, I'm wondering which one to chop. They're both pretty robust. Maybe it doesn't matter?

Pictures:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

reposting this from my twitter because it's easier.

basically my potted bell pepper keeps dropping little baby peppers. is it because there's one huge guy?

https://twitter.com/FizFashizzle/status/1128748418392834048

eames
May 9, 2009

Hi thread! I bought a ficus lyrata a little over a week ago. It is starting to show these strange pingpong-ball sized dimples at the tips of all the lower leaves. The upper leaves are fine and the plant generally looks healthy except for these deformations.

It's getting plenty of sun (large window, southern direction, trees are shading direct sunlight) and the moisture is around 4-5 at the root level according to my new, cheap moisture meter. I haven't watered it since I got it because I suspect it was very recently watered at the nursery, the reading was ~8/10 on the meter when I got it.

Is this normal?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Every fiddle leaf owner I know have weird little things going on with the leaves, I think it is just how the plant do.

For reference here is some leaves on a fiddle leaf I pass by regularly

He is in near perfect rainforest like conditions and still has weird poo poo going on. So it might be just be your fiddle leaf being itself :)

Jestery fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 16, 2019

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Can anyone tell me what the hell this plant is? It’s been overtaking my English ivy, just got time to rip it all up today.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Can anyone tell me what the hell this plant is? It’s been overtaking my English ivy, just got time to rip it all up today.

Goutweed?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I have an interesting issue. My house is on a septic system with a square shaped drain field in the middle of a large squarish lawn. The three neighbors on three sides of me all have quaking aspens, and they’re sending suckers over the property line and through my yard.

I was content to just mow them down but I’m now worried that the roots are going to establish themselves or find their way to the drain field and really gently caress things up.

I’ve read that I can use triclopyr based brush killer, but there’s a risk of killing the established trees. Other than that I guess I’d have to continually cut down the suckers and dig up the roots? Should cut the main root then chance it with the poison? Is there a long term solution to this or am I just kind of hosed? I’m in Washington state and this tree isn’t considered a noxious weed.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Looks like a match, thank you!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Update on my lawn situation:

The building developers have said that they think it's a leatherjacket infestation (that came in with the turf) and tried to sidestep the drainage issue until i showed them the video. They're ripping up the turf tomorrow and are gonna relay it with new fresh stuff. That should let me get a look at the alleged topsoil too.

Incidentally, the house being built next door got it's garden put in yesterday.

Now, i don't know squat about gardening at all, but i'm assuming that when laying turf, you're not supposed to just leave huge gaps like that?

Also, that large dark spot is where all of the water ran when they left the sprinkler on, so i'm guessing the house to the left is gonna feel some drainage issues too right?

For topsoil, can anyone point me to something that shows what good topsoil looks like? That second picture shows what the house-builders are using and i suspect what's under my lawn is going to look the same and be really thin/stony.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Anyone ever grow Dutchman's Pipe? I bought a house last year and am not a fan of the ivy stuff that came with it. It needs to come down so we can repaint but I was looking for alternatives to plant that will still give the porch some privacy.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

FizFashizzle posted:

reposting this from my twitter because it's easier.

basically my potted bell pepper keeps dropping little baby peppers. is it because there's one huge guy?

https://twitter.com/FizFashizzle/status/1128748418392834048
I'm not familiar with growing bell peppers in a container, but when we had them in our garden, they were finicky as hell. Things that we had to adjust to get more fruit:
  • Location near flowers. Peppers need pollination in order to set proper fruit. The plant might abort young peppers that haven't been pollinated and therefore have no seed growth.
  • Location for temperature. Our plants dropped their fruit when temperatures were either too hot or too cold.
  • Water timing. Peppers can be sensitive to drought and drop their fruit if they don't like the moisture level. I bet they'll do this if the soil doesn't have enough nutrients, too, which can be a problem for keeping fruit-bearing plants in containers.
Plant size might also be a problem. I don't know if there's any science to this, but we used to remove the first set of flowers on our plants at the beginning of the season. The idea was to give the plant more growth time so it would be healthy enough to keep up with the fruiting season later.

Solkanar512 posted:

So I have an interesting issue. My house is on a septic system with a square shaped drain field in the middle of a large squarish lawn. The three neighbors on three sides of me all have quaking aspens, and they’re sending suckers over the property line and through my yard.

I was content to just mow them down but I’m now worried that the roots are going to establish themselves or find their way to the drain field and really gently caress things up.

I’ve read that I can use triclopyr based brush killer, but there’s a risk of killing the established trees. Other than that I guess I’d have to continually cut down the suckers and dig up the roots? Should cut the main root then chance it with the poison? Is there a long term solution to this or am I just kind of hosed? I’m in Washington state and this tree isn’t considered a noxious weed.
This raises lots of questions. How far away are those trees from your system? Are your neighbors also on septic systems? Can you talk to them about replacing the trees with something more benign? A grove of quaking aspens will gently caress up everyone's septic systems.

You might also want to check into who is responsible for damage caused by trees in your area. When we had a house, tree damage was the responsibility of the person who owned the tree, so when roots invaded our sewer pipe, the neighbor who owned that tree had to pay for our repairs. That might be useful leverage for convincing your neighbors to replace the aspens if they're too close.

On the other hand, if you poison their trees, you might be the one responsible for replacing them.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Kin posted:

The building developers have said that they think it's a leatherjacket infestation (that came in with the turf) and tried to sidestep the drainage issue until i showed them the video. They're ripping up the turf tomorrow and are gonna relay it with new fresh stuff. That should let me get a look at the alleged topsoil too.

Now, i don't know squat about gardening at all, but i'm assuming that when laying turf, you're not supposed to just leave huge gaps like that?

Also, that large dark spot is where all of the water ran when they left the sprinkler on, so i'm guessing the house to the left is gonna feel some drainage issues too right?

For topsoil, can anyone point me to something that shows what good topsoil looks like? That second picture shows what the house-builders are using and i suspect what's under my lawn is going to look the same and be really thin/stony.

The term you want to search for is "finish grade"

Phone posting, I'll follow up later, but here's one quick ref:

https://youtu.be/2WzW21IPGhw

E: https://bergerhargis.com/finish-grading/

http://www.horizonturfnursery.com/ground-preparation-and-sod-install/

Hubis fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 17, 2019

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Hey grapegoon! I'm trying to get some vines going myself and was wondering if you had any thoughts. We planted back in late Spring / early Summer 2018, probably too late really (NC, so Spring is pretty warm). But I think they established themselves pretty well anyway, because there is lots of growth this season. Ours are somewhat unorthodox, on a fence, which is probably not optimal, but we're sort of trying to achieve double purposes of making our fence look neat and also getting grapes.

Anyway, by the end of last year's growing season, some of them had gotten partway up the fence, but in Winter they were all down to the nubs -- which from what I've read is normal. I'm not sure if that really counts as a full "first year" or if we're in sort of a "second first year" situation. But currently, they're all starting to make their way up the fence again -- one of them is still having a little bit of trouble really gripping on, but it probably will.

I haven't been diligent about pruning yet, though -- and I probably should, although I've read some places that say you can wait it out a little just in case any shoots break. Either way, I think this is the year I'm supposed to be establishing the trunk on each of them. However, there is one that already has two shoots that both look like they could make viable trunks. I'm not sure if I should let them keep going a while longer or chop one off right away; and if so, I'm wondering which one to chop. They're both pretty robust. Maybe it doesn't matter?

Pictures:

Cool! Congrats and good luck. I'm super new to this too, so everything I say is mostly just parroting from the book I mentioned. My understanding is the first year, you let about 3 shoots grow and mostly do whatever, to help establish the root system. Then at the start of year 2, before bud break, you either prune down to one of last year's shoots, or else prune all the way back and let a new shoot grow. Then let that one shoot go bonkers up your trellis to establish a strong trunk to begin your real crop in years 3 and 4. After that, pruning is mostly about balancing fruit vs vegetation growth. If it grows a ton of vegetation and little fruit, then prune less and leave more fruiting canes on for next year. If it grows too much low quality fruit, prune more to leave fewer fruiting canes.

But one thing I've learned from doing online research, as opposed to this book which is aimed at getting maximum quality and yield, is that grapes are pretty flexible. If you screw up pruning one year, or you're focusing on covering a fence with vegetation in addition to growing fruit, then whatever. You're doing it for fun, not profit. Getting maximum quality and yield doesn't have to be the only goal.

My thoughts on your particular situation is that it's probably too late to prune. I'd worry a bit about disease having an easier time getting into the wound, due to the warm weather. You're also effectively wasting all of the effort the plant put into growing those leaves, before it got a chance to produce and store any energy from them. I'd let them go as they will this year. Maybe even let one or two flower clusters grow and mature into fruit, if you're feeling it. Then late next winter or early next spring, when buds are maybe just starting to form, prune off whichever of the trunks looks weaker or uglier on your fence. Or heck, just let both grow. According to the book, sending up one new trunk per year is a common style in cold weather areas, to help guard against super cold weather killing the typical one trunk.

Bud break here happened just last week. My shoots are growing roughly an inch per day. My longest vine is about 4" so far, it's the same one as in my previous post. If my notes are to be believed, it is a Marquette grape.

P.S. gently caress rabbits.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

ColdPie posted:

P.S. gently caress rabbits.

Yeah and double gently caress these mother loving squirrels who have made it their personal mission to eat and destroy everything in my garden.

Bought a house last year, first time really working on the yard and garden. Had a lovely flower bed with tulips which were coming up wonderfully. Aaaaannnddd they're gone. Bloomed for a bout a day and the squirrels/rabbits chewed off the blooms.

Sprinkled chili powder in the beds, will see if that actually does anything.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I understand they hate peppermint, so I'm planning on putting a cotton ball soaked in peppermint oil in every pot this year.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Can anyone recommend a good soil pH tester? I bought one from amazon but it didn't work so I sent it back. 90% of the ones on there are the same one from china in one of a few different configurations. Or they cost $100+

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hubis posted:

The term you want to search for is "finish grade"

Phone posting, I'll follow up later, but here's one quick ref:

https://youtu.be/2WzW21IPGhw

E: https://bergerhargis.com/finish-grading/

http://www.horizonturfnursery.com/ground-preparation-and-sod-install/

Awesome, thanks for that. I'll be sure to quote finish grading to the them when it's being relaid.

The builders are also saying that the lack of leatherjackets and subsequent thicker lawn will take care of any boggy/drainage issues too as it'll absorb more water.

I'm not really convinced by this, but have no idea how thirsty grass can get.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Okay, so they're all rescues. Too bad I don't have any before pictures of this Phlebodium. It's bounced back extremely well and keeps getting bigger and better.

Oh my god, you just helped me ID a plant I've had for ages. I bought it at a grocery store and the tag just said "foliage" and had general light requirements. It's been doing really poorly because I'm a terrible plant mom and I've long suspected it was just too dry, but no amount of water seems to help. Maybe if I get it out of that potting soil and into some proper media that might help.. :downs:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you’ve had it for ages, it might be rootbound and appreciated a larger pot.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
Can anyone ID this plant, found in the UK?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Mr. Vile posted:

Can anyone ID this plant, found in the UK?

How does it smell? Kind of looks like a scented geranium

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Schmeichy posted:

How does it smell? Kind of looks like a scented geranium

It smells kind of vaguely herb-like, like basil or chives.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Mr. Vile posted:

It smells kind of vaguely herb-like, like basil or chives.

Where is it growing? In your yard?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Also, how tall is it?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Waltzing Along posted:

Can anyone recommend a good soil pH tester? I bought one from amazon but it didn't work so I sent it back. 90% of the ones on there are the same one from china in one of a few different configurations. Or they cost $100+
Sending soil samples to your local land grant university/county extension service is usually pretty cheap and much more accurate and they give you a full report on all the nutrients and stuff.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Also, how tall is it?

It's growing in the garden of a friend of mine so I'm relaying this second hand, but it started out tiny in the winter and has grown to a big ball of leaves around 30cm tall since then.

Better picture of the whole plant, which for some reason the forum has turned sideways.

The herb-ish smell also turned out to be something else, the mystery plant just smells like Generic Plant even when the leaves are crushed.

Mr. Vile fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 17, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ColdPie posted:

My thoughts on your particular situation is that it's probably too late to prune. I'd worry a bit about disease having an easier time getting into the wound, due to the warm weather. You're also effectively wasting all of the effort the plant put into growing those leaves, before it got a chance to produce and store any energy from them. I'd let them go as they will this year. Maybe even let one or two flower clusters grow and mature into fruit, if you're feeling it. Then late next winter or early next spring, when buds are maybe just starting to form, prune off whichever of the trunks looks weaker or uglier on your fence. Or heck, just let both grow. According to the book, sending up one new trunk per year is a common style in cold weather areas, to help guard against super cold weather killing the typical one trunk.

That's actually really helpful, thanks. I'll just let them both fight for supremacy for now. We actually have a cluster already, but it's not even on the fence, it's near the base, so I was almost certainly going to remove it. We'll see. It's not on the one I pictured, it's on a different one that's not quite as big. I want it to grow as much as it needs to, but I'm also super stoked about having a cluster of grapes even if they don't actually taste good or anything, so I'm torn.

I'm on the rabbit hate train as well, not for the grapevines specifically (yet), but the garden. We were also trying to grow snap peas on the fence, but they seem determined not to let that happen. I guess that might act as a good first line of defense for the rest of the garden though.

Fortunately, the squirrels seem more interested in my pear tree, which yields more than enough fruit to take the hit.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fwiw if you're waffling, I think you should snip it off. Especially if it's low down and you have pest problems and no protection set up.

E: Also, just curious, what varieties are you growing?

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 17, 2019

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Platystemon posted:

If you’ve had it for ages, it might be rootbound and appreciated a larger pot.

Phlebodium are epiphytes and luckily don't care too much about space, the roots can happily spill over and the plant will be OK.

Bees on Wheat, I recommend placing it somewhere bright but always indirect in terms of sunlight. All my plants are in a bright north facing window and it seems to like that a lot.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Kin posted:

So taking a better look at the photos:

1) :cawg: no they should be butted up next to one another as tightly as possible
2) No there shouldn't be giant loving rocks on the surface :wtf:
3) So it wasn't clear to me before but the entire property being on a grade means you're going to get *some* overflow onto your neighbor's property, yeah. What you really want is relatively even and consistent grade towards adjacent low-lying ground (the next yard behind you/downhill). You are trying to avoid local depressions where the water will pool rather than dispersing, and you want it to be generally flat perpendicular to the grade to cause the water to spread out rather than concentrate into gullies (unless that's part of your water management).

I'm not a sod/landscaping expert so this is just all based on my own experience with my own lawn and stuff I've watched in the "Pro-Am Lawn Care" you-tube scene, but those are the big things that jump out to me. A lot of the things I cite are what seem like "best practices" or ways to maximize how nice your grass ends up after all is said and done -- I'm not sure that *not* doing that sort of thing would constitute malpractice of any sort, for example. But right before sod is laid out is absolutely the best time to add organic matter/soil amendments and do the otherwise hard and expensive work of leveling low spots, so it would be pretty lovely if they half-assed it.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Mr. Vile posted:

It's growing in the garden of a friend of mine so I'm relaying this second hand, but it started out tiny in the winter and has grown to a big ball of leaves around 30cm tall since then.

Better picture of the whole plant, which for some reason the forum has turned sideways.

The herb-ish smell also turned out to be something else, the mystery plant just smells like Generic Plant even when the leaves are crushed.
The leaf shape reminds me of ragwort. Maybe tansy ragwort or one of its lookalikes?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Phlebodium are epiphytes and luckily don't care too much about space, the roots can happily spill over and the plant will be OK.

Bees on Wheat, I recommend placing it somewhere bright but always indirect in terms of sunlight. All my plants are in a bright north facing window and it seems to like that a lot.

I actually do have it hanging by a north-facing window, which is unfortunately the only decent light I get here. I have an east-facing window, but there's a wall maybe five feet from it, so it's kind of pointless. It definitely grows toward the light, but doesn't seem desperate for it.

I was planning to pot it in some wood chips or orchid mix since it's currently in generic potting soil that doesn't seem to hold on to a drop of moisture, and my biggest problem is that its leaves keep drying up and dying. I tried putting a watering globe in it, and while cute, it doesn't actually dispense water at a reasonable rate at all.

As for plant identification, I've been using an app called Seek that's basically a pokedex for real life. Unfortunately, real life has a lot more than 800 species so it's not always super accurate. You might only get a genus or family name, or even "hey this is a plant I guess" which is what I got trying to ID that drat phlebodium.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 18, 2019

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

LoreOfSerpents posted:

The leaf shape reminds me of ragwort. Maybe tansy ragwort or one of its lookalikes?
Picture This agrees!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

Ragwort it is! Thanks for the assist.