Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Warbird posted:

Can you elaborate a bit on the polishing? I do all the other steps (besides the garage and detailer), but I've started noticing imperfections in the paint finish as of late.

Hesitant to go into that because I have no idea what I'm doing and I'll get called out hard, but here goes: My basic polish step would be Dawn dish soap wash, clay bar, M105, then M205. then clean with water / IPA. Clean, clean clean, between each step, and apply sealant at the end and let sit garage for a minimum of 24 hours after you're completely done so things can cure up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I assume you're doing the Dawn to strip old wax. Does the clay bar not do that itself? Also when you're saying sealant do you mean a wax compound or is this something completely separate?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Warbird posted:

I assume you're doing the Dawn to strip old wax. Does the clay bar not do that itself? Also when you're saying sealant do you mean a wax compound or is this something completely separate?

Paint sealant, versus a carnuba wax. Sealant actually cures onto the paint and lasts a LOT longer.

Clay does a pretty decent job of stripping wax but if I'm going to the trouble of claying, I want to take as much off the surface as possible so I use Dawn.

EDIT: Another thing I do which I've not seen mentioned anywhere (and this is getting more detaliing thread related but whatever), is that when I'm putting the paint sealant on I rub it into the paint pretty hard, not just a surface application. After I started doing that I noticed a noticeable improvement in the slipperiness of my paint. Just make sure there is ZERO grit first.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 8, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh I didn’t realize there was a detailing thread. I’ll go lurk there and take a look around.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
switched over to the summers on the ST, kind of wondering if I should continue to bother. it hardly gets driven in the summer.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Anybody know where I can find a list of tools needed to do pads and rotors on a mk7? I'm not seeing it in the service manual and I much prefer to have everything set aside before I begin.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

revmoo posted:

Anybody know where I can find a list of tools needed to do pads and rotors on a mk7? I'm not seeing it in the service manual and I much prefer to have everything set aside before I begin.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5BKPZ6jRho

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F4RZWL4qYbI

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I guess that will work. I hate sitting and watching a long rear end video just to get 3s worth of information.

One thing I miss about my BMW is that there were DIY guides for everything. Apparently nobody actually works on their mk7.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

revmoo posted:

I guess that will work. I hate sitting and watching a long rear end video just to get 3s worth of information.

One thing I miss about my BMW is that there were DIY guides for everything. Apparently nobody actually works on their mk7.

It's pads and rotors my guy, I don't think you really need a DIY guide with a tool breakdown. Besides that fact, I cannot understand how exactly looking for DIY guides online, reading service manuals and posting on forums for tool lists is faster than just fast forwarding through 2x 15min youtube videos that provide the exact information you're looking for. You could have had your answer mere minutes after thinking up the question using those videos.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
?? I just wanted a list of the sockets I needed (like the 13mm triple-square) so I would know exactly what I needed. I didn't do anything out of line chill out.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Have you ever stopped to think that video is an absolutely lovely medium for communicating static information, especially reference info you might need to, idk, print out to more easily use?

gently caress "the transition to video." Youtube DIY videos have their place, but its not, "something I'm going to actively do while dirty and involves what may be my only mode of transportation."

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My GTI is in the shop from a minor accident. While this Nissan Truck rental is a perfectly competent vehicle I did a little when I drive it. Off roading is a hoot though.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just got a raise at work, should I sell my 2009 Civic Si and buy a new Type R?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Source4Leko posted:

I just got a raise at work, should I sell my 2009 Civic Si and buy a new Type R?

you should pump it into maxing out your 401k, roth ira, hsa, etc but we are in ai so i say go for it

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

BlackMK4 posted:

you should pump it into maxing out your 401k, roth ira, hsa, etc but we are in ai so i say go for it

absolutely not seeing as humanity won't exist as we know it in 25 years so

you won't be able to retire

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Source4Leko posted:

If you can cash it, sure. If not, go fill up your emergency fund and all the randomly named things that you have in the US that are very important to max out in order to not be homeless when retiring.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrOnBicycle posted:

If you can cash it, sure. If not, go fill up your emergency fund and all the randomly named things that you have in the US that are very important to max out in order to not be homeless when retiring.

All that is done. This isn't BFC but assume I own my own home, have savings, have retirement, and am capable of buying this without going broke or eating dog food in 20 years.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are you going to track it? seems like its not worth it if you arent going to track it

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That would ultimately be a goal, yes. I'm either going to get this car or take some of the same money id spend on the new car and make my Si as fast as I can.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
google william au yeung, that is your goal
(fastest time attack car in the country, regardless of driven wheels)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Source4Leko posted:

That would ultimately be a goal, yes. I'm either going to get this car or take some of the same money id spend on the new car and make my Si as fast as I can.

I’ve seen a number of people who claim success in getting better performance than the R from an Si when they spend the price differential on upgrades. That said, I bought the R and love it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He has a k20z3 Civic, not the turbo one

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

He has a k20z3 Civic, not the turbo one

Yes, new Si plus upgrades is an alternative to new R that costs less up front and may result in a superior outcome over time.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Midjack posted:

Yes, new Si plus upgrades is an alternative to new R that costs less up front and may result in a superior outcome over time.

This opinion is exactly why I asked this here. I am really strongly considering this, especially since I already have put a little bit of work into my Si with one of those 400 dollar handheld things to change the engine timings and I upgraded the brakes to ebc green stuff with slotted rotors. If I decide to keep upgrading I would definitely be adding a turbo and going that route.
I am also not really a car guy at all, and probably foolishly this seems like a fun project and way to get more into working on engines. Everything would be done with the help of two friends of mine who have done engine rebuilds/ modifications many times before. I am very mechanically capable even though I just haven't worked on cars before really. I also have another car I can drive to and from work while I'm doing whatever to my Si, so when I gently caress up and it takes a month longer than I thought it won't be that big of a deal. It's actually not even my daily driver right now.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
This is probably a question for the BMW thread but what is y'alls opinion on the BMW 4 GC? I have to admit I haven't driven anything f30 based but having a sportback BMW really appeals to me. (Need to buy a mommymobile soon.)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Crunchy Black posted:

This is probably a question for the BMW thread but what is y'alls opinion on the BMW 4 GC? I have to admit I haven't driven anything f30 based but having a sportback BMW really appeals to me. (Need to buy a mommymobile soon.)

My dad has one (435i specifically), what do you want to know?

Its a nice car, plenty of power, seems to handle nicely for GT style driving from the limited chance I’ve had to take it on some twisty roads. Rear seat headroom is poor. I’m about 6 ft 1 and I can’t sit upright in the back. I think that will be common to every car which has that kind of sloping roofline though..

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Here4DaGangBang posted:

My dad has one (435i specifically), what do you want to know?

Its a nice car, plenty of power, seems to handle nicely for GT style driving from the limited chance I’ve had to take it on some twisty roads. Rear seat headroom is poor. I’m about 6 ft 1 and I can’t sit upright in the back. I think that will be common to every car which has that kind of sloping roofline though..

That is about what I figured, more looking for caveats/things to look for when buying used. When we need to carry adults in the back, it won't be for long, probably.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Finalized my current 93 octane tune on my Focus RS. Zero bolt ons that would effect power in any way aside from an AEM Dryflow filter and removing the inter cooler blanking plate. Yeah buddy this thing rips now. Going to put new plugs in this weekend and start tuning for e30 next week, which from what I hear makes things just downright hilarious.

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
I put 16 inch wheels with 205/45 Firehawk Indy 500s and a Cobb RMM on my FiST yesterday. It's amazing how much better it drives.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Korbin posted:

I put 16 inch wheels with 205/45 Firehawk Indy 500s and a Cobb RMM on my FiST yesterday. It's amazing how much better it drives.

Nice. What wheels did you end up going with?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I broke and leased a new Golf R like a moron. Coming from a 9 yr old manual gti it's loving amazing. The dynamic cruise-control or whatever it's called is pretty cool, except if the car comes to a complete stop you have to tap the gas for it to kick in again. I can see the feature getting me into trouble and rear-ending someone because I thought I had it enabled.

I'm probably dumb for not getting a model 3, but it's still pretty great.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

I'm probably dumb for not getting a model 3, but it's still pretty great.

You'd be extremely dumb to buy any Tesla IMO

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Previa_fun posted:

You'd be extremely dumb to buy any Tesla IMO

Half the car for double the money!

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I've been carting around my buddy's pup for the last week. He's just heavy enough to trigger the seat belt alarm on the passengers side in my mk6 gti. Is not exactly the worst, but it's kind of annoying. Is there any way to disable that warning? Here's a dog picture tribute.

Edit for apparently doxxing my friend via dog collar

Roundup Ready fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 16, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

1. The pup really should be restrained in the car, any accident and he’s flying through the cabin. You do not want a dog missile hitting you in the head, not to mention the catastrophic injuries he’ll sustain.

2. Failing the responsible choice, why not just buckle the seatbelt and pull it tight so it’s flat across the seat back?

3. All your friends info is on the clearly visible dog tag.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You tell Rubert he can come see his kids ANYTIME HE WANTS

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Midjack posted:

Plus you get a car you will never be able to sell so you got that going for you.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

angryrobots posted:

You tell Rubert he can come see his kids ANYTIME HE WANTS

lol at first glance i saw PUBERT

bellingham is a nice town, i miss living there

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

It is Pubert. Also I'm going to remove that picture for my buddy's sake. New Pubert picture in place

Roundup Ready fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG

PaintVagrant posted:

Nice. What wheels did you end up going with?

Sparco assetto garas in black.