Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
I would suggest go for the books as they set up the stage and build up the world in much better detail and then watch the show to see the little things they tweaked and the little story/cha acter changes that work so much better for the TV version. Then stop at Tiamat’s Wrath till the show catches up.

At least that’s what I did :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Johnny Truant posted:

What does this even mean?

A lot of Tiamat's Wrath felt like there was this awareness of possibly needing to adapt it someday, so, things feel a bit restrained. Like how the monumental thing Elvi discovers is just a green-ish diamond the size of Jupiter or whatever and not anything a bit more mind-bending. Text allows you to get weird and grandiose in ways you can't in something more visual, even in big budget movies. Compare to the fourth book with the weird automatons and such.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

A lot of Tiamat's Wrath felt like there was this awareness of possibly needing to adapt it someday, so, things feel a bit restrained. Like how the monumental thing Elvi discovers is just a green-ish diamond the size of Jupiter or whatever and not anything a bit more mind-bending. Text allows you to get weird and grandiose in ways you can't in something more visual, even in big budget movies. Compare to the fourth book with the weird automatons and such.

Yeah, it definitely felt like it was written with an SFX budget in mind.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah I never felt that way at all, what with the multitude of consciousness breaking events, or the system completely devoid of anything save for a blue giant on the verge of collapsing in on itself, or a siege of Laconia. None of that seems like they were thinking about TV when writing it?

And a diamond the size of one of the largest planets in our solar system is pretty goddamn impressive, so I don't really know what to tell you :shrug:

Fake edit: like seriously, tell me how an empty rear end universe isn't weird and grandiose in a way TV will be able to translate. I'll wait.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 12, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah I never felt that way at all, what with the multitude of consciousness breaking events, or the system completely devoid of anything save for a blue giant on the verge of collapsing in on itself, or a siege of Laconia. None of that seems like they were thinking about TV when writing it?

And a diamond the size of one of the largest planets in our solar system is pretty goddamn impressive, so I don't really know what to tell you :shrug:

Fake edit: like seriously, tell me how an empty rear end universe isn't weird and grandiose in a way TV will be able to translate. I'll wait.

Well, I mean, I can't do anything about your feelings but none of the things you've pointed out there would be difficult to translate to television at all. Like, let's see. 1. Missing time, or what we've already seen from Holden's perspective. 2. A system devoid of anything... you think that's hard to represent? And the Siege of Laconia is really quite understated compared to some of the earlier battles in the series, with it basically being written as montage, and then is just the Roci hitting a bunch of undefended targets.

That's only impressive if you lack imagination. A diamond the size of Jupiter is positively prosaic compared to some of the weirder ideas you'd think one could come up with Protomolecule Builder technology and the freedom of prose. And again, super easy to depict. It's a giant diamond but greenish. That's it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Well, I mean, I can't do anything about your feelings but none of the things you've pointed out there would be difficult to translate to television at all. Like, let's see. 1. Missing time, or what we've already seen from Holden's perspective. 2. A system devoid of anything... you think that's hard to represent? And the Siege of Laconia is really quite understated compared to some of the earlier battles in the series, with it basically being written as montage, and then is just the Roci hitting a bunch of undefended targets.

That's only impressive if you lack imagination. A diamond the size of Jupiter is positively prosaic compared to some of the weirder ideas you'd think one could come up with Protomolecule Builder technology and the freedom of prose. And again, super easy to depict. It's a giant diamond but greenish. That's it.

Yeah except Holden didn't lose consciousness in Abaddon's Gate when he touched the core in the same way that the enemies of the PM creators caused the entirety of humanity to lose consciousness. They're not even remotely similar. Especially when you think that there are now two, probably not to come, ways of it happening, as shown in TW.

You're getting wowed by weird bug looking robots when the PM creators do things in scopes that humans can literally, and I mean literally, not comprehend. You, me, any human in the Expanse books.

Have you heard of the movie Starship Troopers? Sounds much more up your alley.

A system devoid of anything is hard to represent in television as well, yes. Unless you lack imagination and think a black screen captures that idea. :pseudo:

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 12, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Johnny Truant posted:

This was a pretty sick burn but I'm not sure why you got so mad at that guy.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Yeah I'm a little tipsy and my stomach's upset, plus he had the first jab so displaced emotions ahoy!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
If the show can do TW justice I'll be proud. Especially the scene where safe mode Duarte atomizes his top scientist

The trap mechanism empty solar system was pretty darn cool imo.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Also Starship Troopers is legitimately great.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ersatz posted:

Also Starship Troopers is legitimately great.

The only good bug is a dead bug!

dyzzy posted:

If the show can do TW justice I'll be proud. Especially the scene where safe mode Duarte atomizes his top scientist

I legit had to read that part two or three times before my mind could parse it, I can't wait.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah except Holden didn't lose consciousness in Abaddon's Gate when he touched the core in the same way that the enemies of the PM creators caused the entirety of humanity to lose consciousness. They're not even remotely similar. Especially when you think that there are now two, probably not to come, ways of it happening, as shown in TW.

You're getting wowed by weird bug looking robots when the PM creators do things in scopes that humans can literally, and I mean literally, not comprehend. You, me, any human in the Expanse books.

A system devoid of anything is hard to represent in television as well, yes. Unless you lack imagination and think a black screen captures that idea. :pseudo:

Okay, I feel like you're not understanding what I'm saying. Like, at all. Nothing about what you're posting makes any sense.

Because, like, I wasn't referring to Holden losing consciousness in Abaddon's Gate. I was referring to what he glimpses at the end of the third season.

Here. I'll make it simple. What do you think is less likely to be represented accurately in the forthcoming seasons? The giant weird bug-looking robots that host Miller's consciousness and Elvi rides around on, or a big diamond. Because that second one is actually pretty comprehensible. It's a very big diamond, and it's tinted green.

Like, you're conflating a thousand different things to the extent that-- Oh, you're drunk posting. That explains it.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 12, 2019

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
My friend Jeff B. assured me that the show will not want for a single penny. Rest assured that the forthcoming seasons are being shot on alien worlds that very closely resemble those described in the books

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I hope we get to hear about the red kibble. At least once per season, but hopefully more than that. Every book, I'm always wondering, what do the Belters eat? And the Corey boys give me a few hundred words on the red kibble. And then I wonder, well, why are so many people dumping their half-finished meals in the recycler?

Like I said, I enjoy the books, but the TV series is basically doing the story so well that you don't really need to read them.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 12, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I hope we get to hear about the red kibble. At least once per season, but hopefully more than that. Every book, I'm always wondering, what do the Belters eat? And the Corey boys give me a few hundred words on the red kibble. And then I wonder, well, why are so many people dumping their half-finished meals in the recycler?

I don't think anyone in the series is starving unless there's a disaster like what happened on Ganymede? They produce enough food that tons of people on Earth are living on Basic without a job. They probably just toss it to be recycled because they know they'll be able to get more later.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the issue is that belters just can't get the nice food you'd get living on a planet with space to have livestock and whatnot. Seems like their food consists of foods that can be grown in a small space and then hit with a bunch of spices to add flavor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

I think the issue is that belters just can't get the nice food you'd get living on a planet with space to have livestock and whatnot. Seems like their food consists of foods that can be grown in a small space and then hit with a bunch of spices to add flavor.

Pretty much. The ideal food for close spaces is likely fungi (mycoprotein like Quorn) and soy. Depending on the direction technology goes, however, you could theoretically end up with very cheap cloned meat vats. So you'll have "real" chicken or beef or what have you, but it came from cloned cells rather than an actual animal.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah the books talk alot about belter food being things like bars of pressed yeast with flavored sweeteners, fungal "whiskey", soy meat substitutes etc. Things you can cultivate and live off of while living inside a rock 10 times further from the sun than earth is.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
The Belt does also have very good cloned meat and some fish farming. It's not everyday food for most Belters, but it seems accessible enough to eat occasionally

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

dyzzy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Petkj9Kxks&t=85s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I saw there's a movie on Netflix "The Wandering Earth" that is based on The Three Body Problem. Has anyone checked it out? Seems it's Chinese and dubbed in English. I'm worried it might try to mine bitcoins on my computer if I watch it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cojawfee posted:

I saw there's a movie on Netflix "The Wandering Earth" that is based on The Three Body Problem. Has anyone checked it out? Seems it's Chinese and dubbed in English. I'm worried it might try to mine bitcoins on my computer if I watch it.

It's pretty much Armageddon, but Chinese. Only thing missing was Chinese covers of Aerosmith songs, but I did enjoy it anyway.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^^^^^ haha drat, beaten to talking about Three Body Problem by like 10 minutes!

Like I said, I enjoy the books, but the TV series is basically doing the story so well that you don't really need to read them.

Even the novellas? The Churn and Strange Dogs are honestly in my top 5 of Expanse literature.

Also, if you want weird and grandiose I hope you've read the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy by Liu Cixin. If not, drop everything and prepare for :wth:

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

fungal "whiskey"

That's what I want more of! And of course, more Bobbie :swoon:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Cojawfee posted:

It's a different story by the that guy, but yeah. AFAIK it's subtitled but maybe they have both options?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

^^^^^^^^ haha drat, beaten to talking about Three Body Problem by like 10 minutes!

Even the novellas? The Churn and Strange Dogs are honestly in my top 5 of Expanse literature.

Also, if you want weird and grandiose I hope you've read the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy by Liu Cixin. If not, drop everything and prepare for :wth:

That's what I want more of! And of course, more Bobbie :swoon:

I read The Three-Body Problem and while I admire the grandeur of the vision, I hated pretty much all the characters and the world itself. It was a very well-written book that made me feel bad about life.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

3BP had some really cool ideas but the writing felt flat, maybe the translation

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Pretty much. The ideal food for close spaces is likely fungi (mycoprotein like Quorn) and soy. Depending on the direction technology goes, however, you could theoretically end up with very cheap cloned meat vats. So you'll have "real" chicken or beef or what have you, but it came from cloned cells rather than an actual animal.

Another realistic thing is that zero-g messes with your taste-buds and dulls flavor, which is why a lot of Belter food is loaded with hot spices. It's also why bottles of hot sauce are apparently considered liquid gold on the ISS.

StashAugustine posted:

3BP had some really cool ideas but the writing felt flat, maybe the translation

Felt the same way about it. Some great ideas, but presented in such a dry autistic manner. Still glad I read it, but I don't think I'll be motivated to read the later novels unless someone tells me that the writing/translation has improved.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 13, 2019

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

A bit meme-y, but good for a chuckle or two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Nz0may5N0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfKs17yfy2I

Svaha fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 13, 2019

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I am quite partial to the bits involving Bobbie punching Martens in the face.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Svaha posted:

Another realistic thing is that zero-g messes with your taste-buds and dulls flavor, which is why a lot of Belter food is loaded with hot spices. It's also why bottles of hot sauce are apparently considered liquid gold on the ISS.

Of course they'd have checked human gastrointestinal physiology for writing The Expanse :awesome:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I just got caught up with the series and am now here to bang my utensils on the table in this thread

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You need to answer these questions three
Question the first: Endless edge lasagna (Yay/Nay)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Rocksicles posted:

You need to answer these questions three
Question the first: Endless edge lasagna (Yay/Nay)

I would never say no to a lasagna, especially when a such a polite martian gentleman makes it for me

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Would the protomolecule, which came from *outthere*, have formed a gate in our solar system anyway if there wasn't any sentient life in it to mess with it?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sentience isn't a requirement for the protomolecule; if it hadn't been pulled into Saturn's orbit it would've hit the Earth like 2 million years ago or something, when we were all just little goopy bacteria

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Evernoob posted:

Would the protomolecule, which came from *outthere*, have formed a gate in our solar system anyway if there wasn't any sentient life in it to mess with it?

Yeah. It was shot at Earth billions of years ago when there was just biological sludge for it to work with. If anything it having to build with sentient material is what's made it so unpredictable and odd.

In 99% of cases it would just crash into a primordial swamp, build the gate and shut down once it's open.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm guessing the goal was to find biomass with which to build more protomolecule and then build a gate so the ancient aliens could travel there. I would guess they were searching for raw materials, not other life. Otherwise they would have sent instructions a la contact to find someone worth talking to.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Does it seem at all odd that they would just be searching for raw materials? They apparently have access to dozens of star systems, what resources don't they have?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The PM needed two things. Materials and energy, a biomass would help spread it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Does it seem at all odd that they would just be searching for raw materials? They apparently have access to dozens of star systems, what resources don't they have?

Maybe they have a massive civilization that needs that much? Or maybe they don't want to destroy their own systems, so they search for empty backwater star systems they can leech from.