Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mikedawson posted:

Ian Flynn was a member for a bit back in '07-'09. He did two little retrospective videos for Cybershell's Sonic megathread but had to quit because he was too busy working on the actual comic. He joined the staff a bit before Penders quit, and was head writer for the remainder of the Archie series and continues to write for IDW. IMO the Archie reboot had the best writing across the franchise. Penders has a weird, mostly-one-sided, hatred of him.

E: Also, this might be handy for the OP:
https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/facts

Gee, I wonder why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Flynn referenced BSS in a backup story. It was quite silly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

Flynn referenced BSS in a backup story. It was quite silly.

He also showed up just before the Reboot on /co/ to follow along on 'The Ride' which was a monumental marathon readthrough with no stopping of all of Sonic from Issue 1 to the final published issue at the time (Just a bit before the reboot, like a few months) Jon Gray also showed up (He was an artist on the book) to prove this, he did a reference to /co/ and /co+/ In the 50th issue of Sonic Universe.

Both of them were lovely and were treated with respect even by the lovely people on /co/ and more fanart was made than I could ever have saved. It was an experience.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah Ian was a good poster but I never understood why he felt like he needed to impress BSS of all places. He didn't stick around too long after that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So we can add rampant aphobia to Penders’ list of bullshit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nodosaur posted:

So we can add rampant aphobia to Penders’ list of bullshit.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1127321162499756034

I guess?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

quote:

These are the kinds of character questions writers ask all the time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

check the replies, it gets worse

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1127489198947127296

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

“Where would we be as a people?” asks man who makes terrible garbage comics

edit: I hope nobody is getting their information about asexuals from Ken loving Penders, ace people get the shaft all the time but that seems like the ultimate indignity

Sailor Goon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 12, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Someone replied with "Ask all the infertile people or those that can't reproduce", right??

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

"Asexuals are genealogical dead ends and that upsets and terrifies me" is a wild take I was not prepared to hear today.

E: Also I love him suggesting that Sonic is a playa.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 13, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

He somehow looks even more like a pedophile without the mustache than he did when he had it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kurui Reiten posted:

Remind me at some point to do an effort post on early Echidna civilization and history as told in the first few Knuckles comics and backup stories. I have a lot to say about how the entire loving story is massively, massively wasted potential AND insulting to anyone with a brain.

Please, please do.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Mikedawson posted:

That pretty much is how he tried to characterize sonic towards the end of his run.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Please, please do.

Well, you have asked. I have access to pretty much all the Archie Sonic comics thanks to Humble Bundle, so I'm gonna reread some stuff from my childhood to brush up, and then I'll get to explaining. Soonish. Eventually. Look, don't wait up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah if anyone has any effortposts on how bugfuck crazy Penders' writing is, feel free

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I forgot about the time Penders mangled the famous poem about the Holocaust to make it about Sonic, and then had someone paraphrase the stab-in-the-back myth.

There was also the time Charmy's friend overdosed on LSD and died.

rudecyrus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 13, 2019

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Suddenly all of his totally not echidnas' faces all make sense.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mikedawson posted:

"Asexuals are genealogical dead ends and that upsets and terrifies me" is a wild take I was not prepared to hear today.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game(s released after the Genesis era)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

rudecyrus posted:

I forgot about the time Penders mangled the famous poem about the Holocaust to make it about Sonic, and then had someone paraphrase the stab-in-the-back myth.

There was also the time Charmy's friend overdosed on LSD and died.

...what?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

This should help explain things

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
In a way yes, but in another far more existential way no

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ManlyGrunting posted:

In a way yes, but in another far more existential way no

Ken Penders everybody!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Holy poo poo, I clicked through and looked at this and had this sinking sensation, "wait a second, this seems awfully familiar" and apparently I had the issue immediately following it from some kinda blind buy bag a million years ago. Looking at it as an adult is :psyduck: as hell. Literally the only things I remember that make me 100% sure are the cover, the scene with the dingoes in the cab, and Knuckles being in like a page and a half in the background in the world's dumbest training montage. I only remember the dingoes because even as a kid I thought they were super overwrought.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I almost don't want to bother with an effort post on the history of Echidnaopolis, but I think I'll start off with like, the first Knuckles backup stories, the first miniseries, and the first three issues of his ongoing. That should basically give you the basics of how loving bungled this entire thing is.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Kurui Reiten posted:

I almost don't want to bother with an effort post on the history of Echidnaopolis, but I think I'll start off with like, the first Knuckles backup stories, the first miniseries, and the first three issues of his ongoing. That should basically give you the basics of how loving bungled this entire thing is.

When I was a kid I thought the Knuckles storylines were super cool and dark because they were complicated and seemed mysterious since I only had a couple random back issues of Knuckles, and they had the added bonus of no Ron Lim art. Obviously Ken Penders is a crazy person, but I think the general idea of having a more fleshed-out and interwoven story was sound even if Penders was about the least qualified person in the world to do it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

honestly the actual Typhoid Mary of why the comics were Like That during the late 90s/early 00s was editor Justin Gabrie. Penders was a symptom, not the disease.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ken Penders is a pretty good example of why you should kill your babies. Don't get married to a dumb idea you had, try to grow as a writer, and be willing to leave your old work behind (so maybe you won't flip the gently caress out when your editor steps in). Most people's actual children would rather their parents let them go at some point rather than cling forever. If he was willing to take on an actually new project instead of throwing a poo poo fit over his old characters, maybe he could've found some real success instead of circling the drain of a minor following from a creepy fandom.

Of course, he'd still have the problem of being a total creep, but sadly that's seldom an impediment to success.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
I think the problem is even creative people have one, maybe two worthwhile ideas in their lives. You see it all the time in comics, a writer gets hot on one run/series, then proceeds to never do anything of note ever again; maybe doing work for hire on some A or B tier titles if they're lucky. People like Alan Moore or John Arcudi who maintain a constant output of unique ideas (good or bad) are really loving rare.

Hey I should probably put what the hell point I'm getting at too. What I'm saying is it's understandable that he's clinging to the one thing that he's known for because he sure as poo poo doesn't have any other ideas.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 8, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1150925830131814402

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

"Survival of the fittest is the order of the day" sounds like something that would be on a banner hanging over some government building in 1930s Germany.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

Meet The Ec'Hy'D'N'Yas t-shirt

Maybe it's the awkward banner at the top but this feels like a poster design that was then slapped onto a t-shirt without any edits.

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

I'm sure everyone in this thread is already up-to-date on the Thanks, Ken Penders blog but its author just posted an excellent summary / retrospective of the Ken Penders Sonic era and all the batshit therein. Unsurprisingly, I highly recommend the read.

The thing that really gets to me that seems to be missing from that retrospective is the abysmal Titan Tails* piece. Penders takes my favorite character and somehow manages to give him a less sympathetic or interesting arc than he gets in Tails Gets Trolled. If you're not familiar, have a bottle of eye bleach handy and take a look.

The effort it took to introduce a half-assed 'chosen one' plot, mix in one of the series' most forgettable villains, and then resolve it in the most unsatisfying (and grotesque) way possible is a pretty great summation of the Penders era. And Penders as a person.

Thanks for being here for me, suck zone.

* god, I wish I was making that up

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I wonder how upset he would be if people said "Knuckles the enchilada"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

beauty queen breakdown posted:

The thing that really gets to me that seems to be missing from that retrospective is the abysmal Titan Tails* piece. Penders takes my favorite character and somehow manages to give him a less sympathetic or interesting arc than he gets in Tails Gets Trolled. If you're not familiar, have a bottle of eye bleach handy and take a look.

The effort it took to introduce a half-assed 'chosen one' plot, mix in one of the series' most forgettable villains, and then resolve it in the most unsatisfying (and grotesque) way possible is a pretty great summation of the Penders era. And Penders as a person.
That's because that stories writer is Chacon not Penders.

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

Hemingway To Go! posted:

That's because that stories writer is Chacon not Penders.

drat, well spotted. :doh:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So has Ken Penders given his review of the Sonic movie yet?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Too busy waiting by the phone for someone to inquire about the rights to the Lara-Su cinematic universe

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

no I tried he didn't pick up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Chairman Capone posted:

So has Ken Penders given his review of the Sonic movie yet?
Waiting to see what kind of bullshit he sues to take credit for.