Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

vuk83 posted:

Any good tips to store sliced onion in the fridge without getting it to smell like stinksville?

A ziplock bag and use it within the next couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got a bunch of rhubarb in my latest farm box but don't have any immediate plans for it. Is it safe to chop up and freeze?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Got a bunch of rhubarb in my latest farm box but don't have any immediate plans for it. Is it safe to chop up and freeze?

Some people say to blanch it first, but I just chop it and freeze it. I usually make pies or sauces with it, so I really don't care if it looks perfect.

EDIT: I mean, wash it first, and de-leaf it, but it's totally safe to freeze.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Sorry, I don’t read the forums every day.

While not the ethnofacist that Alton Brown is, Bittman has a disappointing history with Black people (google Bittman at Stone Barn,) writes lovely anti-science articles re: GMOs & mossy recently tried to launch a platform called “Salty,” cribbing the logo and aesthetic from an existing platform/magazine written for and by women/non binary people of color.

Those are all easily googleable. There are also many stories told of him being a super creep to women on the conference/awards show circuit.

wow. that's very good to know, and I don't think I'll be giving him any more money. thanks

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Weltlich posted:

Some people say to blanch it first, but I just chop it and freeze it. I usually make pies or sauces with it, so I really don't care if it looks perfect.

EDIT: I mean, wash it first, and de-leaf it, but it's totally safe to freeze.

Yeah last time we got rhubarb I made strawberry rhubarb pie for the first time. The filling was good, shame that the pastry didn't really hold together. I need to think of another way to use that filling.

We also got a bunch of red beets, with the leaves still attached. Anything useful I can do with those?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

C-Euro posted:

Yeah last time we got rhubarb I made strawberry rhubarb pie for the first time. The filling was good, shame that the pastry didn't really hold together. I need to think of another way to use that filling.

We also got a bunch of red beets, with the leaves still attached. Anything useful I can do with those?

beet greens are very earthy and a bit spinachy so combine those with some peppery greens and citrusy greens (or citrus) for a really good saag

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

C-Euro posted:

Make danishes, and cobbler. Rhubarb cobbler is glorious.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Rhubarb cobbler is glorious.

And so is rhubarb crumble, its...uh...crumblier sibling. This one's lovely and my go-to recipe.

My parents have a massive patch of it that would survive a nuclear winter. I sometimes wonder if they think I only visit to steal some each time. Seconding that it freezes just fine without blanching.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gonna make kenji's tacos pastor and i dont have achote...is it really necessary? does it add much flavor? seems like more of a colorant

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

gonna make kenji's tacos pastor and i dont have achote...is it really necessary? does it add much flavor? seems like more of a colorant

it adds a little flavor but you can skip it (you shouldn't though because you really do eat with your eyes first)

my local grocery stores all sell achiote, have you looked around? it's easy to assume you won't be able to find it but it's not that uncommon at least IME

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i looked when i was at winco (which has a pretty good mexican grocery area) but didnt see any

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I live in Phx and have a decent selection of Mexican products/spices at our local Frys/Kroger and they don't even have it. I have to go to Ranchero Market to find the authentic goods like nopalas or achiote.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Has anyone noticed the reduced sodium versions of Better than Bouillon are more expensive and have better ingredients? What's up with that?

Regular beef base: https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/products/roasted-beef-base/
Low sodium beef base https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/products/roasted-beef-base-reduced-sodium/

Regular chicken base: https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/products/roasted-chicken-base/
Low sodium chicken base: https://www.betterthanbouillon.com/products/roasted-chicken-base-reduced-sodium/

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd guess flavor is enhanced by salt so they can skimp in the regular kind

I'd get the low sodium stuff and resalt unless you've got a doctor's note, or just use more of the regular stuff

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I was hunting for flank steak earlier and couldn't find any but ended up with a top sirloin steak. Google leads me to believe that I haven't screwed up, but it was suspiciously cheap ($6/lb). I was just going to pan sear it in a cast iron and cook to MR but I just want to double check I didn't accidentally buy something made for slower cooking.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So I was hunting for flank steak earlier and couldn't find any but ended up with a top sirloin steak. Google leads me to believe that I haven't screwed up, but it was suspiciously cheap ($6/lb). I was just going to pan sear it in a cast iron and cook to MR but I just want to double check I didn't accidentally buy something made for slower cooking.

It'll be a tasty piece of meat cooked midrare, but it is not super tender, so you'll want to slice it pretty thinly.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Top sirloin is great but the second it gets to/past medium it turns awful. It's hard to cook thin ones because of this-aim for a good 1.5-2" thick if you can, or cook them straight from the fridge or even toss them in the freezer for 10 min before you cook so you can get crust and keep it rare enough. They have very good flavor, imo.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Fantastic! Thanks for the advice, MR and not a hair more no matter how much the fiance pleads for med, as god intended. Will report back later

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

wow. that's very good to know, and I don't think I'll be giving him any more money. thanks

Yeah, it's a bummer because I know a lot of people really like him and his writing seems concise but I'm a big proponent of "vote with your dollars"

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I have 35 pounds of avocado oil

ideas are welcome because seriously, this is excessive and it's not great for high heat cooking

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

ideas are welcome because seriously, this is excessive and it's not great for high heat cooking

Use it as lube, OP.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

therobit posted:

Use it as lube, OP.

haha joke's on you, I can't get laid even if I tell girls I have 35 pounds of avocado oil

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

haha joke's on you, I can't get laid even if I tell girls I have 35 pounds of avocado oil

I haven't been on the dating scene for almost 20 years but I don't think that strategy would have worked back then either. Maybe offer then some avocado toast to flaunt your wealth first.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

therobit posted:

I haven't been on the dating scene for almost 20 years but I don't think that strategy would have worked back then either. Maybe offer then some avocado toast to flaunt your wealth first.

that's called virtue signaling in today's culture

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

How'd it go in mayo or aoli ?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

not great for high heat? I thought it boasted a very high smoke point.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Start cranking out cakes — pound cakes, coffee cakes, spice cakes — and give them away as gifts.

Marinades are the only other thing I can think of that call for significant amounts of oil.

Oh, and Caesar salad dressing from scratch. I made that once and I was appalled at the amount of oil it called for (edit: it was delicious, though).

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

That Works posted:

How'd it go in mayo or aoli ?

Generally pretty well, but that's a lot of mayo. It has a really deep, earthy flavor that goes very well with garlic and especially roasted garlic.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

not great for high heat? I thought it boasted a very high smoke point.

it does, but it also has a lot of impurities on account of being unrefined. so it won't start smoking, but it will still taste bad

DasNeonLicht posted:

Start cranking out cakes — pound cakes, coffee cakes, spice cakes — and give them away as gifts.

Marinades are the only other thing I can think of that call for significant amounts of oil.

Oh, and Caesar salad dressing from scratch. I made that once and I was appalled at the amount of oil it called for (edit: it was delicious, though).

not sure about avocado oil cakes dawg but I guess it's worth a try. this isn't the highly refined light green avo oil that's super neutral, this stuff has a lot of flavor

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Make focaccia? It's normally a metric poo poo ton of good olive oil, so it'll be a great showcase for the avocado oil. Not sure if that will end up being great or terrible. High risk, high reward.

Fake edit: Maybe instead of rosemary, do Mexican oregano.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Any interest in making soap?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm cooking dinner for two friends of mine, he loves rice but she doesn't. I'm the King of Curries, so is there a dish I can make for them that they're both happy with? A curry that works well with rice, and a sort of rice substitute? We were thinking of rice for him, naan bread for her. Though I think the main reason they hate rice is because they've never had good rice, and I make perfect basmati rice where all the grains are separate and fluffy.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I feel tikka masala is a good bet with rice or naan.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah that's pretty much the only solution. Just feels sacrilegious to eat a curry with anything but rice, cause rice and curry is just perfect.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

You could do crushed cauliflower if she will eat that and you don't mind your kitchen smelling like the ghost of a fart.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Just deep fry with it. The impurities won't matter there, really.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

this isn't the highly refined light green avo oil that's super neutral, this stuff has a lot of flavor

How does one end up with 35 pounds of unrefined avocado oil, anyway?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

DasNeonLicht posted:

How does one end up with 35 pounds of unrefined avocado oil, anyway?

lmao if you don't just have a few dozen pounds of various oils stashed away in your kitchen

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Qubee posted:

I'm cooking dinner for two friends of mine, he loves rice but she doesn't. I'm the King of Curries, so is there a dish I can make for them that they're both happy with? A curry that works well with rice, and a sort of rice substitute? We were thinking of rice for him, naan bread for her. Though I think the main reason they hate rice is because they've never had good rice, and I make perfect basmati rice where all the grains are separate and fluffy.

Anyone who doesn't love rice isn't allowed in my home. This is a good policy to have.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Qubee posted:

What are some curry recipes to try?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Qubee posted:

Yeah that's pretty much the only solution. Just feels sacrilegious to eat a curry with anything but rice, cause rice and curry is just perfect.

There are whole regions of the Indian subcontinent where it’s rare to eat your curry with rice. Personally I like mine with chapati.