Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Evernoob posted:

Would the protomolecule, which came from *outthere*, have formed a gate in our solar system anyway if there wasn't any sentient life in it to mess with it?

I think the idea is that it would have built the gate and the race that built it would have colonised our solar system for themselves. What it probably wouldn't have done is given a poo poo about what happened to its creators, or made the investigator, if it wasn't for the sentience it picked up. While trying to build the gate, it picked up the tools to achieve much more and has enough awareness to realise that it needs to expand beyond its original design.

It's a pretty cool rogue AI concept, rather than the standard "kill everyone" thing that tends to happen when all powerful AIs accidentally become concious in most sci-fi settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Chalks posted:

I think the idea is that it would have built the gate and the race that built it would have colonised our solar system for themselves. What it probably wouldn't have done is given a poo poo about what happened to its creators, or made the investigator, if it wasn't for the sentience it picked up. While trying to build the gate, it picked up the tools to achieve much more and has enough awareness to realise that it needs to expand beyond its original design.

It's a pretty cool rogue AI concept, rather than the standard "kill everyone" thing that tends to happen when all powerful AIs accidentally become concious in most sci-fi settings.

TBF it's still "kill everything," but because it wants to turn us into infrastructure than because it irrationally hates life.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the pm creators were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
every week is infrastructure week in the precursor civilization

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Madurai posted:

TBF it's still "kill everything," but because it wants to turn us into infrastructure than because it irrationally hates life.

Well, kind of - but it also advocated for humanity when the nucleus wanted to destroy the solar system. Maybe it had it's own reasons for doing this but hey, it counts for something

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Madurai posted:

Well it only ever needed enough mass to make the gate. I think, if it had crashed into Earrh, it still would've stopped the work when it was done.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Does it seem at all odd that they would just be searching for raw materials? They apparently have access to dozens of star systems, what resources don't they have?

Presumably, there's no FTL without the gate system, right? So as they are getting started, they fling out maybe hundreds of thousands of protomolecule probes, thinking that a few thousand or so will be successful. Clearly, like with the sol system, some can be unsuccessful. Or take a long-rear end time. Most probably never reach a target at all. But enough do that you get a network.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ashpanash posted:

Presumably, there's no FTL without the gate system, right? So as they are getting started, they fling out maybe hundreds of thousands of protomolecule probes, thinking that a few thousand or so will be successful. Clearly, like with the sol system, some can be unsuccessful. Or take a long-rear end time. Most probably never reach a target at all. But enough do that you get a network.

And considering the genetic modification capability they have, the creators (if they're still alive) are likely extremely long-lived or even immortal thanks to turning off their biological aging and can afford to wait thousands or millions of years for gates to be made.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Reminds me of Peter Watts' The Island, where humans are cryogenically preserved to run a billions and billions of years long mission to build a wormhole network

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

StashAugustine posted:

Reminds me of Peter Watts' The Island, where humans are cryogenically preserved to run a billions and billions of years long mission to build a wormhole network

and Blindsight. the precursors were taking the same approach as whatever it was that built Rorschach. dandelion seeds.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Does it seem at all odd that they would just be searching for raw materials? They apparently have access to dozens of star systems, what resources don't they have?

It needed compatible biology to build the gates. Presumably the PM aliens lived in environments similar to Earth's, so they looked for Earth-like planets and tossed PM asteroids at them to build gates and get access. They kept spreading because that's what life does? Who knows, their motivations are pretty opaque.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Grand Fromage posted:

It needed compatible biology to build the gates.

I don't think that's quite right. The protomolecule is designed to hijack replicating systems, of which Earth life is a subset. We also see it modifying electronic data, for instance.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Toast Museum posted:

I don't think that's quite right. The protomolecule is designed to hijack replicating systems, of which Earth life is a subset. We also see it modifying electronic data, for instance.

My impression is the technological PM stuff we see is the result of humans messing with it. You could be right, but it seems logical it's designed to hijack life in systems that are habitable for the PM aliens. Their range of habitability could certainly be wider than just Earth-like though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Grand Fromage posted:

My impression is the technological PM stuff we see is the result of humans messing with it. You could be right, but it seems logical it's designed to hijack life in systems that are habitable for the PM aliens. Their range of habitability could certainly be wider than just Earth-like though.

yeah my take was the protomolecule gets sent to systems with a food source, and eats enough organic life until it can support building the gate. Humans have a consciousness which acted like a psychic link or some other weird thing but usually the protomolecule just eats planets full of bacteria and trees so that doesn't happen normally.

They have lots of gates, but if they find a star system with a planet full of organic materials, why not make one more gate out of it?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Amazon has some licensed Expanse merch now if anyone's interested:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?rh=n%3A83450031%2Cp_4%3AThe+Expanse&ref=w_bl_sl_s_ap_web_83450031

Surely MCRN coffee cups and lasagna trays are next?

*edit* oh apparently US amazon gets even more stuff: https://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A7141123011%2Cp_4%3AThe+Expanse&ref=w_bl_sl_s_ap_web_7141123011

GuardianOfAsgaard fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 19, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
No "stars are better off without us" shirt, 6/10

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?rh=n%3A83450031%2Cp_4%3AThe+Expanse&ref=w_bl_sl_s_ap_web_83450031

*edit* oh apparently US amazon gets even more stuff: https://www.amazon.com/s?rh=n%3A7141123011%2Cp_4%3AThe+Expanse&ref=w_bl_sl_s_ap_web_7141123011

No space Fedora?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

check out our, "you can't order outside of Australia Amazon, Amazon"

https://www.amazon.com.au/s?k=the+expanse&i=fashion&dc&qid=1558229890&ref=sr_nr_i_30

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Man those licensed t-shirts suck. I'm just waiting for the official coffee mug.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
The ones with the station logos on them aren't bad, but yeah the rest are not great.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Put the Pur & Kleen logo on the upper left and in the back and I’d buy it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's definitely a "here are logos from the show, make some shirts" cash grab with no thought put into it.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
https://www.redbubble.com/shop/Expanse?ref=search_box
Redbubble has both better and much more stuff on offer.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

If they make those leggings into sweatpants I'd probably rock those

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The station logo shirts are alright. The rest are pretty uninspired and some get downright mall ninja. But I'm of the opinion that merch like this works best when it could exist in its own setting and just looks like an otherwise unremarkable design to someone that doesn't recognize it.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Started binging the show now that GoT is over and can't read the thread for another day or so but wanted to say I haven't had a genuine :lol: so hard in years at Chrisjen's "wherever I god drat liiiiiiike".

Edit: Oh and I'm hoping this priest guy was lying to marine girl about Earth's oceans being garbage and she finds out Mars is doing some North Korea level propaganda.

Double edit: Oh it actually turned into A Thing in the next episode. :woop:

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 20, 2019

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Tehran 1979 posted:

Started binging the show now that GoT is over and can't read the thread for another day or so but wanted to say I haven't had a genuine :lol: so hard in years at Chrisjen's "wherever I god drat liiiiiiike".

One of the best line reads in the history of line reads imo

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Expanse is the best remedy available for the post-GoT fugue state, especially since it scratches a lot of the same itches of a political struggle overturned by an out of context threat

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Groetgaffel posted:

I'm the random Mass Effect and Blade Runner merch mixed in.

edit:

Nevermind, I'm actually whatever this is.

Jeremiah Flintwick fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 21, 2019

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
This is the only poo poo I'm interested in:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/3BE65HKE2/rocinante-full-colour?optionId=64727273&li=marketplace

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I watched season one back when it was the only season available and it was kind of underwhelming at the end - now I know that's because the season ended in the middle of a plotline.

I've just binged the whole series from scratch and it's incredible how much better the show gets.

Though the time jump in the middle of season three was very jarring. I had to stop and check Wikipedia to make sure I didn't somehow miss an episode. If the show gets that far, I hope they do the 30 year time jump the same way. Just this week, everybody is old.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Zartosht posted:

I'm the random Mass Effect and Blade Runner merch mixed in.

edit:

Nevermind, I'm actually whatever this is.

I'm the word "the" applied before a ship name, like a barbarian might use:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only Roci model kit worth buying is from Fantastic Plastics, much assembly required: http://fantastic-plastic.com/rocinante---catalog.html

Also been seeing a lot of Expanse cast activity on social media lately. Maybe a new trailer soon? loving hell I've been waiting so goddamn long. Driving me stircrazy.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I just wonder how i'll be able to watch it this time around. I haven't even looked at Amazon Prime yet what else it has to offer.

Soon we'll be in an era with so many different streaming platforms people will just say f*** it and resort back to pirating.
(Since i got my netflix a couple of years ago apart from very few exceptions I've been a good boy, but no way i'm gonna pay for 5 different streaming services)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evernoob posted:

I just wonder how i'll be able to watch it this time around. I haven't even looked at Amazon Prime yet what else it has to offer.

Soon we'll be in an era with so many different streaming platforms people will just say f*** it and resort back to pirating.
(Since i got my netflix a couple of years ago apart from very few exceptions I've been a good boy, but no way i'm gonna pay for 5 different streaming services)

Most of the world never stopped, because we can't use those platforms.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
So soon we'll have :
HBO Go
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Disney
Apple TV?
Youtube is also experimenting i think

We'll I guess if each of those is throwing money at making great shows, we're the winners.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keep it up guys, the rest of the world appreciates your financial sacrifice.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Evernoob posted:

So soon we'll have :
HBO Go
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Disney
Apple TV?
Youtube is also experimenting i think

We'll I guess if each of those is throwing money at making great shows, we're the winners.

I mean, you don't need to? I'm only subscribed to Netflix and Amazon Prime, and I only do Prime because it's "only" about $50/year where I'm at. Their collection of movies is pretty expansive imo. HBO Go is something people subscribe to just for the run of a new season. I can't imagine why I'd want to subscribe to Disney because it's just Marvel and Star Wars (and Disney) isn't it? Those are all movies that are on my "watch once and never again" list. I have no idea if they revealed how much Apple TV is gonna cost, but from what I've heard they want to be super family friendly to a fault so that sounds pretty boring.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Netflix and Prime (with HBO) is plenty for me, though I still buy the occasional movie where there are gaps.

Now that GoT is over (thank god), I'm going to drop HBO once Chernobyl is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/PrimeVideo/status/1132330490088738817