Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

So I don't exactly know what to make of this, but Lenovo lists at least 4 AMD systems on their page of systems vulnerable to MDS which will get patches, specifically the ThinkPad A-series.
Unfortunately my T420 isn't on that list yet. :(

Might just be accidentally throw in the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jabor posted:

there's probably some amd designer that's been spending years trying to do fast speculative execution that doesn't leak a bunch of state between virtual cores, and being frustrated that they just can't quite get it as fast as intel.

i guess they'd be feeling a little vindicated now.

that amd engineer is feeling the same way the mazda engineer in charge of trying to get the skyactiv diesel to pass emissions felt when the vw/audi poo poo hit the fan

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phone posted:

that amd engineer is feeling the same way the mazda engineer in charge of trying to get the skyactiv diesel to pass emissions felt when the vw/audi poo poo hit the fan

And BMW, and Mercedes, and basically everyone.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

Is Chronicle’s Backstory IDS any good?

I heard an interesting sponsor thing on Risky Business but that guy gives good interview so it might not actually be good?

:ohdear:

All IDSes are trash in a sense that they're anti-virus for network traffic. They have their purpose though--I like them being in ICS environments because it's easy to setup baselines for what is acceptable. However, your corporate environment will probably generate so much trash that you'll probably never find the good.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
don’t suck amd’s cock before they even release prototype hardware

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ice cream sandwich

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

ice cream sandwich
thank you

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

And BMW, and Mercedes, and basically everyone.
japan is that scene in Iron Sky where finland admits they’re the only country in the world that didn’t sneak nukes into orbit

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

the bbc this morning covered the story by opening with "hackers have broken whatsapp's secure encryption!"

guys words mean things

my gfs dad called her in a panic tuesday night because the news lead with HACKERS ARE IN YOUR IPHONE like jfc guys people less tech literate than you watch the bbc news at 6

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ulf posted:

japan is that scene in Iron Sky where finland admits they’re the only country in the world that didn’t sneak nukes into orbit

huh I remember seeing the trailer for that and thinking it was a joke

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it is a joke

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

thread favorite telegram is currently having what appears to be a worldwide outage so that's fun

i wish my friends would use something that doesn't suck as much

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A student commented yesterday that it was very hard to find a picture of me online and that I had a much smaller online presence overall than she expected

That made me feel good

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

just buy her an account

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shame Boy posted:

thread favorite telegram is currently having what appears to be a worldwide outage so that's fun

i wish my friends would use something that doesn't suck as much

telegram bad
whatsapp bad
messenger bad

finally, it is time for wechat to conquer the west

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
do people still use QQ? is that a thing anymore?

burning swine
May 26, 2004

so what's the best E2E encrypted chat with a desktop client not written in electron these days

lol j/k i know there aren't any, ftge

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

so what's the best E2E encrypted chat with a desktop client not written in electron these days

imessage :troll:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

telegram desktop isn’t electron. (shame about all your other criteria!)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Web whatsapp

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

https://www.donationcoder.com/software/mouser/other-projects/mircryption

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Major New Feature: Blowfish CBC Mode. We finally decided that the increased security of CBC mode encryption was too valuable to be postponed until version 2.. Simply use the prefix 'cbc:' in front of your key value to employ CBC mode for a specific window/channel. You can read more about using the new CBC mode here.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
goon project: let’s make a good encrypted chat app with a full set of forums smileys, native clients for windows, linux console, and amiga, amber/green stylesheets, and a goon-made encryption algorithm that you can actually trust not to have any nsa backdoors

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

goon project: let’s make a good encrypted chat app with a full set of forums smileys, native clients for windows, linux console, and amiga, amber/green stylesheets, and a goon-made encryption algorithm that you can actually trust not to have any nsa backdoors

counterpoint, the just post thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885452

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

netcat

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Soricidus posted:

telegram desktop isn’t electron. (shame about all your other criteria!)

wait it's not? it sure as hell seems like it, if it's not electron it at least follows the same design philosophy of "gently caress your local OS style, we're just going to design this like a web app and you'll deal with it"

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

spankmeister posted:

Web whatsapp

electron in the browser. also don’t use Facebook products.

whatever happened to signal? it’s electron but just in general the app - is it “secure”

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fins posted:

netcat

not e2e, what you want is openssl s_client and openssl s_server (with openssl x509 to generate key material)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Shame Boy posted:

wait it's not? it sure as hell seems like it, if it's not electron it at least follows the same design philosophy of "gently caress your local OS style, we're just going to design this like a web app and you'll deal with it"

all apps are native. the macOS one is written in swift and the others in c++.

it respects my os style on every platform I’ve tried it on so not sure why you’re seeing that issue. it’s “open” so anyone can make an app for it - were you using a non official?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vomik posted:

electron in the browser. also don’t use Facebook products.

whatever happened to signal? it’s electron but just in general the app - is it “secure”

As far as I know it's still fine. All my friends and family use it. I mostly use the iOS client tbh.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Just use IRC and ROT13 encrypt all of your messages.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Vomik posted:

It's still around, I use it because people I know are already using it. AFAIK it's one of the better ones in terms of being properly implemented, but the client is hot poo poo.

example: you can't rename a contact, even if that contact is just a phone number. Not supported, get hosed

got sucked into a chat with multiple other people? Lol guess what you can't leave that chat, and you're gonna get notifications for every single thing said by anyone

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

got sucked into a chat with multiple other people? Lol guess what you can't leave that chat, and you're gonna get notifications for every single thing said by anyone

nah you can leave a group chat, but if you accidentally add someone you can’t remove them

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pseudorandom posted:

Just use IRC and ROT13 encrypt all of your messages.

ROT26 is twice as good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

ROT26 is twice as good

ROT26 is still a single pass, doing 2 passes of ROT13 is better.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

more cpu cycles == better than

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

nah you can leave a group chat, but if you accidentally add someone you can’t remove them

not from the desktop client you can't

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

not from the desktop client you can't

lol

yeah signal would be great if the UI was finished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

signal is pretty needs suiting for me but getting friends and family to install it is like pulling teeth. ironically the best version of it is on android, because the app supports the OS's fine-grained notifications system and so you can adjust the notification importance level for each conversation