Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
New Huntara looks a lot like Lotor. White hair, dumb cute hair doodad, elf ears, yellow eyes and purple skin...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Waffleopolis posted:

https://twitter.com/lauren_ash/status/1128764082461396992

Geena Davis is doing a role. Don't remember that character from the old cartoon, though.

She was only in one episode, she's like an honourable warrior race space bounty hunter that the Horde tricks into thinking She-Ra is evil.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Soooo, Entrapta is in that image but no other villains? Suspicious I say!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
That's because Bow is about to shoot her.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

evilmiera posted:

I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a new credit sequence for season 2.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

evilmiera posted:

Entrapta's made it pretty clear she hasn't become evil so much as Hordak/The Horde enables her to :science: more effectively using their technological resources than staying with the Hippie-style rebellion and focusing on ~magic~.

She's chaotic neutral, not evil.

You can disagree all you like, but maybe being reprimanded will finally give Catra the jolt she needs to become a true villainess instead of just another predictable "WHY DOESN'T (insert person here) LOVE/LIKE/RESPECT ME?!?!" character, of which this show is already too chock full of.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 17, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Entrapta isn't really a 'villain' so much as...amoral I guess? Not a GREAT thing to be, sure, but she's almost certain to get a redemption since she doesn't really have any support for the horde beyond 'they don't yell at me for playing with dangerous tech'.

Also huh, I somehow never caught it was Lauren Ash as Scorpia, I thought she sounded like her but never bothered to check. Good for her, I like her on Superstore and Scare Tactics owned.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

yea Entrapta isn't really a 'villain' so much as...amoral I guess? Not a GREAT thing to be, sure, but she's almost certain to get a redemption since she doesn't really have any support for the horde beyond 'they don't yell at me for playing with dangerous tech'.

Pretty sure it'll come down to a "make a bioweapon that'll poison the Whispering Wood and kill everyone" request that'll make her balk.

"But...if I kill everything I won't have any *control variables*..or TEST SUBJECTS!" :colbert:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Entrapta is all about could've not should've.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Or it'll be something where Hordak's plan destroys all of Etheria and she's "But that's where all my research is!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gaz-L posted:

Or it'll be something where Hordak's plan destroys all of Etheria and she's "But that's where all my research is!"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pretty sure it'll come down to a "make a bioweapon that'll poison the Whispering Wood and kill everyone" request that'll make her balk.

"But...if I kill everything I won't have any *control variables*..or TEST SUBJECTS!" :colbert:

Yea on second thought that really is the only way it can happen.

"And now this portal will tear Etheria asunder, allowing me to return home and destroy this world once and for all!"

"Heeeey, destroy Etheria? That's where I keep all my research :argh:"

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Entrapta won't get redeemed. Instead, Scorpia will join the princesses, because Hordak won't let her marry Cattra. Entrapta is later discovered in their luggage.

She sets up a new lab in the castle, but she does this every week when the old one explodes, and doesn't notice she has moved until the Horde implodes and a month later their Amazon Prime payment bounces, so her gadgets no longer arrive the next day.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Elfface posted:

Entrapta won't get redeemed. Instead, Scorpia will join the princesses, because Hordak won't let her marry Cattra. Entrapta is later discovered in their luggage.

She sets up a new lab in the castle, but she does this every week when the old one explodes, and doesn't notice she has moved until the Horde implodes and a month later their Amazon Prime payment bounces, so her gadgets no longer arrive the next day.

Scorpia is the best. None of the factions deserve her.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilmiera posted:

Scorpia is the best. None of the factions deserve her.

Scorp-Ra

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Scorpia would more likely switch sides because once she realizes Catra is never going to acknowledge, let alone *requite* her feelings for her, she'll realize at long last that toiling for The Horde does nothing but sacrifice everyone else's dreams for Hordak's ambitions. She's a starry-eyed NCO who hasn't been made to "embrace the suck" yet and still thinks she's ~making a difference~.

She's likely got a really :smith: story arc coming. Probably culminating with her stealing the Black Garnet back.

But I don't see Entrapta deciding to go genocidal so long as Hordak agrees to bring her to other planets. She might be *tempted*, but nope.

There does need to be a skosh more "dark" on this show, though. Not enough to traumatize kids, but enough to reflect/mirror some of the horror of our world. Hordak needs to be all but branded into an example of what unchecked neofeudal corporatism will do to a planet. They're already halfway there with Adora letting her strategist out and saying "we need to stop being reactionary and be proactive or poo poo's never getting done."

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I get the love for Entrapta, I like her too, but of all of them I feel like she has the most potential to do the most evil, specifically because of her amorality. It'd be great if she fluttered back to the rebellion by accident and did some unintentional good things (and otherwise Gir's it up with the gang) but I think it's more likely that she's going to enable (and probably directly cause) atrocities on a scale not yet seen on etheria. The only things she's shown any empathy for so far are robots.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I get the love for Entrapta, I like her too, but of all of them I feel like she has the most potential to do the most evil, specifically because of her amorality. It'd be great if she fluttered back to the rebellion by accident and did some unintentional good things (and otherwise Gir's it up with the gang) but I think it's more likely that she's going to enable (and probably directly cause) atrocities on a scale not yet seen on etheria. The only things she's shown any empathy for so far are robots.

I agree with you. But I love her specifically because of that? I don’t want a redemption arc; I like her exactly where she is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Scorpia would more likely switch sides because once she realizes Catra is never going to acknowledge, let alone *requite* her feelings for her, she'll realize at long last that toiling for The Horde does nothing but sacrifice everyone else's dreams for Hordak's ambitions. She's a starry-eyed NCO who hasn't been made to "embrace the suck" yet and still thinks she's ~making a difference~.

She's likely got a really :smith: story arc coming. Probably culminating with her stealing the Black Garnet back.

But I don't see Entrapta deciding to go genocidal so long as Hordak agrees to bring her to other planets. She might be *tempted*, but nope.

There does need to be a skosh more "dark" on this show, though. Not enough to traumatize kids, but enough to reflect/mirror some of the horror of our world. Hordak needs to be all but branded into an example of what unchecked neofeudal corporatism will do to a planet. They're already halfway there with Adora letting her strategist out and saying "we need to stop being reactionary and be proactive or poo poo's never getting done."

Horde Prime seems like a better candidate for that. Hordak is just done with this poo poo and wants to go home, far as I can tell.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Noelle Stevenson did an interview with a She-Ra podcast and discussed the fact that Entrapta's not evil, just very myopic. She's fully aware that her experiment with the Black Garnet froze the forest and allowed the Horde to assault Brightmoon, but she didn't see it happen and even if she read/listened to all the reports on it, she never processed it as harming people. Even this season while watching her robots fight the princesses - none of them got hurt? They were in danger but they won, so Entrapta still didn't have to see the consequences of her actions. The worst she's ever witnessed is infecting Adora with the red crystal and everyone made it out of that unscathed.

I think Entrapta's redemption arc, if she gets one, will have to start with either her witnessing Hordak use her creations to seriously hurt someone (because I doubt they're going to kill anyone on this show) or even just setting an experiment into motion herself where she actually sees the damage.

All that said, I can also see Entrapta not getting a redemption arc. I have no problem with her staying on Hordak's side, especially if a bigger big bad comes down the line that makes Hordak look like a chump.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Skeletor shows up and Hordak is all "Can you help me get rid of my Ex?" to Entrapta.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The creative process is amazingly organic.

https://twitter.com/ponettplus/status/1130876119828316161

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

This whole documentary series is great, and I highly recommend it. It's called The Toys That Made Us, and it's on Netflix.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, and there is a more detailed He-Man documentary on Netflix that goes over the entire thing, but has some more interviews. It's called Power of Greyskull.

Man, I'd really love a more, i guess adult/modern/decently written He-Man story that leans more heavily on the Science Fantasy of it all. It could be jokey jokes too but treated the whole thing more seriously would be great. A Little more than She-Ra has been doing, but at the same level of gay.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's strange, I'm sure I worried the hell out of my parents liking She-Ra so much as a kid (since it was the mid-80s and they were pretty conservative back then)...but looking back on it, OG He-Man was *way* more gay.

I didn't want to like this show and the 'kiddie' animation tack they took, but self-reflecting I realized the reason was because the adult characters were a positive *and* negative formative influence on me. Once I found I was able to enjoy this version on its merits, super gayness and all, everything was peachy. I even enjoyed the jab they took at the old series in that episode where Bow's ~strategizing~ leads to Adora briefly looking down and wondering where that huge rack (or likely the more revealing costume) came from.

Also, I know it doesn't make sense, but I kind of like to imagine that "Mara" was the OG She-Ra, even though she was named "Adora" as well when not on the clock. It just makes the series a bit more compelling to me to imagine that.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 22, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like one of the neat things about this show is that almost none of the villains are wholly evil- the closest to that is Hordak, and we've learned a bit more about his motivation this season. Scorpia is an example of a good person who's on the wrong side for various circumstances, Catra... has her things going on, Entrapta is in it for the tech.

I'm not sure it's heading for a Redemption Arc for one or more of them, so much as something more complex (within the bounds of a kids' show, of course.)

I dunno, hi everyone, I caught up with this show in the last couple of months or so. It's very good, but where the Hell is Mantenna?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also, I know it doesn't make sense, but I kind of like to imagine that "Mara" was the OG She-Ra, even though she was named "Adora" as well when not on the clock. It just makes the series a bit more compelling to me to imagine that.

I actually thought about that at one point and I would absolutely love Skeleor arriving on Eternia and Mara suddenly showing up and going ham on everyone like virus corrupted She-Ra

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm still thinking that Mara was a hero and the Ancients were up to something terrible that she stopped. It feels like the obvious setup.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm still thinking that Mara was a hero and the Ancients were up to something terrible that she stopped. It feels like the obvious setup.

Maybe the original sword got infected and she’s stumbling around drunk somewhere

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
On that note I need a gif of Scorpia taking a mop to the face like yesterday

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

twistedmentat posted:

Man, I'd really love a more, i guess adult/modern/decently written He-Man story that leans more heavily on the Science Fantasy of it all. It could be jokey jokes too but treated the whole thing more seriously would be great. A Little more than She-Ra has been doing, but at the same level of gay.

Looking back at my teen years of the one reasons I liked Warhammer 40k is that it scratched my MotU nostalgia itch while being more grown up grimdark.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 22, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Or...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcOV68Gx1YU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was an abrupt ending. Pretty cute season though! I never watched the original cartoons, has the new show been following the same loose storyline?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Adora was originally He-Man's sister who was kidnapped by Hordak as a baby (Then Adam was so traumatised his parents erased his memories, which is why nobody ever mentioned her before the toys were released).

Otherwise it was basically villain of the week in which the bad guys came up with different plans, many of which were easy to animate. There's a few callbacks like Scorpia being a dumb bruiser, Shadow weaver being the sinister competent one etc. But not much character development at all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's an 80s cartoon so the concept of an ongoing storyline hadn't yet been invented by animation scientists

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Honestly, I want two She-Ra shows. This current one that's kid-friendly, and one based off a semi-recent Masters of the Universe comic arc where Adora's a butch-looking Horde commander who has no problems whatsoever wiping out entire populations.

And under the helmet:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

It's an 80s cartoon so the concept of an ongoing storyline hadn't yet been invented by animation scientists

Ironically, the anime that a bunch of 80s cartoons plagiarised from/were inspired by did have fairly involved ongoing stories.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm not sure it was plagiarized from as much as 'these japanese studios make awesome poo poo just hire them to do character/mechanical designs + the intro and get the usual terrible folks to do the episodes'

80s animation means they were inspired by, what, AstroBoy, Tetsujin 28 and Speed Racer? Maybe Mobile Suit Gundam or Ulysses 31???

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
TV was not a good medium for continuing storylines, because it was easy to miss one because you were hurried off to school. I'm the internet age, you can just watch it at leisure.

I binged this entire show after seeing someone react to some of the backlash this show got a year ago and because I thought the designs were spot on.

I wasn't expecting much, it was almost a watch in protest to support the show. Ended up loving it (especially the D&D episode, Bow's dads, the Star Wars references, the gay energy and the references to the old show in the D&D episode; each of the separate imaginations were a reference to some other animations and one of them stood out as a reference to the original: stiff movement and how they turn their heads being the tip-off.)

I look forward to more, for sure. And gently caress bigots.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of the D&D episode was Glimmer giving Catra the “female anime villain” laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

My favorite part of the D&D episode was Glimmer giving Catra the “female anime villain” laugh
Glimmer being a huge 90s anime weeb somehow makes perfect sense for her