Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well, My S9+ came with AKG earbuds so that's something.

Seems like H/K is being left to die on the vine. They only have two receivers now, rather than the dozen or so they had for so many years

https://www.harmankardon.com/audio-video-receivers/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I think they mostly do integrated car audio these days, my WRX came with a H/K system and I am pretty sure I have seen H/K as an upgrade in non-Subaru as well.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Oof. Not that they were super high end or anything but that's still a long and sad slide

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Panty Saluter posted:

Oof. Not that they were super high end or anything but that's still a long and sad slide

It's like when my dad got a new car, and then called to tell me he was excited for me to come home and play my music on it, cuz it came with a Bose speaker system.

:smith:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It's like when my dad got a new car, and then called to tell me he was excited for me to come home and play my music on it, cuz it came with a Bose speaker system.

:smith:

Bose has always been terrible.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I find it funny when super high end companies do car audio like how Burmeister did Bugatti’s system since they probably put 5 grand of hardware and get 100 grand from VW for doing it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

I find it funny when super high end companies do car audio like how Burmeister did Bugatti’s system since they probably put 5 grand of hardware and get 100 grand from VW for doing it.

The B&O system in Aston Martins is like an $8k option. Practically nobody springs for it, including the original owner of mine. Which is a shame, because the base system is garbage. :(

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

HK also owns some crazy poo poo like Mark Levinson, so.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

KillHour posted:

Bose has always been terrible.

Explain that to my dad.

Cuz I haven't been able to do so.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

What's everyone's favorite anti-audiophoolery demo?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Well, My S9+ came with AKG earbuds so that's something.

Seems like H/K is being left to die on the vine. They only have two receivers now, rather than the dozen or so they had for so many years

https://www.harmankardon.com/audio-video-receivers/

No one has ever been able to figure out the why for which brands Harman chooses to keep around. They’ve ignored Infinity and HK. For a while it looked like they were going to let Mark Levinson and JBL die, but both of those brands have gotten some real attention lately.

Samsung bought Harman to get their hands on Harman’s research into connected cars. My understanding is that they are generally leaving the consumer audio stuff alone. That may have changed since I last talked to anyone about it, which was almost 2 years ago.

The Revel systems in the new Lincoln SUVs are supposed to be really good. Harman did do some actual research into car acoustics and the like. It should be a step up from the typical “slap our name on whatever and call it good” mess that some other companies seem to put out.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

qirex posted:

I'm unsure about Burmeister but the vast majority of high end audio gear in cars isn't even worked on by anyone from the brands, the car manufacturers just pay to license the name and then get a few company bods in to say "yes" or "no" to the end result. I know B&O had an actual role in outfitting those high end Audis like 10 years ago. The S8 had the acoustic lenses that popped out of the dashboard and B&O helped design that system. The B&O in the R8 however was just branded... We had a launch night at our store and they rolled them up and I got to play about.

I have a friend who works at JLR in the audio department and they pay Meridian for the brand name, Meridian have nothing to do with the system design. Also to let you know how much profit there is in high end car audio I think it was in 2017 where just the audio department of JLR (as in cash on the various audio upgrades for cars) brought in more profit than the entirety of the Jaguar side of the company. :v:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 17, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Explain that to my dad.

Cuz I haven't been able to do so.

He probably can’t hear you over all that midrange.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TheMadMilkman posted:

The Revel systems in the new Lincoln SUVs are supposed to be really good. Harman did do some actual research into car acoustics and the like. It should be a step up from the typical “slap our name on whatever and call it good” mess that some other companies seem to put out.

That's good at least. I'm not making GBS threads on car audio at all because there's some amazing stuff but when I see a home brand slapped on a headunit I'm very dubious.

poo poo, maybe I need to hold on to my H/K 3370 for a few more years. Maybe it'll be worth something on eBay :v:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 17, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Revel is like the last remaining part of Harman actually doing stuff. If I was going to build an expensive system I'd definitely consider the Performa/PerformaBe.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I have a pair of M105s. I’m saving up for F208s. I expect to keep those for life.

I’ll also say that if you ever get a chance to meet Kevin Voecks, you should jump at it. I learned more from talking to him for two hours than you could learn in 10 years of reading any of the audio press.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9ec49-machina-dynamica-acoustic-resonators-set-of-3-tweaks

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

quote:

Questions for the seller
May-20-2019
Hi Geoffkait, Do these tweaks really work well with most or all different type of gear. I would assume that it is not the gear that makes the difference. Thanks. Terry
Hi, yes, these tweaks work with all types of equipment.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
It's me, I'm the terrible
Is there a word (besides WAF) for people who like the way speakers look?
Because I am that.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9eb93-focal-kanta-no-2-full-range

Part of me is like, "lol no you can't spend $7500 on loving speakers"
The other part of me is like, "shhhhhhh... second mortgage"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Because I am that.

I mean, you may as well go all the way, right?

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/speakers/beolab-90

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have Focal Chorus something-or-others that were like a fraction of that cost and they sound pretty good so I think you should definitely buy those $7500 Focals.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KillHour posted:

I mean, you may as well go all the way, right?

https://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/speakers/beolab-90

I actually really like the Beolab 90's too. They remind me a bit of my s80.2 / MC120.2's.

Edit: here have a picture

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 21, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I actually really like the Beolab 90's too. They remind me a bit of my s80.2 / MC120.2's.

Edit: here have a picture

I love this picture because it makes them look enormous until you see the outlet.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I like the picture because the carpet, while adequate at best seems reasonably well taken care of, and does not have any distracting vacuum patterns in the pile.

(Lol)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Because I am that.

Nah, you’re not the only one. I freely admit that I’ve bought certain gear over other options largely because I preferred how it look.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TheMadMilkman posted:

Nah, you’re not the only one. I freely admit that I’ve bought certain gear over other options largely because I preferred how it look.

I mean I already posted a while back begging for ridicule, but I paid a not insignificant amount for separates.
This was based solely on the fact that I wanted a desktop amp for work with a nice form factor (large enough to look impressive, but small enough to actually fit on my desktop), and VU meters are always cool.

and then I hooked it up to $15 Goodwill speakers

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
any amount for a proper VU meter is acceptable

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Because I am that.

I think MartinLogans look pretty good. (I'm selling a pair if anyone is interested :ssh:)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Those Focal Kantas are really nice looking except for this:

Totally wouldn't want to see ""F" Sandwich Technology" every time I looked at my 10 grand speakers. Even if I was sitting far enough away that I couldn't read it I'd know it was there.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The drivers themselves look really good though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Panty Saluter posted:

The drivers themselves look really good though

Made of the finest French flax [seriously]

quote:

Flax cones are designed and manufactured in France, from french flax fiber. France is the main cultivator in Europe of fiber flax, principally in Flanders, Picardy, Normandy and the Pas-de-Calais region. French flax is considered the best in the world.
I've liked every Focal I've heard, I almost bought Arias instead of my Canton Chronos.

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

qirex posted:

Made of the finest French flax [seriously]

I've liked every Focal I've heard, I almost bought Arias instead of my Canton Chronos.

it's funny because i'm finding myself wanting to upgrade my car speakers w/ focal kit

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091PS165FX/Focal-Performance-PS-165FX.html?tp=106&avf=Y

tbh pricing isn't bad considering that I'm finding myself just listening to music more on my commute then any other time now as of late. basically no worse than traditional speakers.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Looking at the cool speakers posted here, I'll be honest: if I was rich I'd totally buy audio equipment on the basis of sounds good to my ears but also looks good according my tastes at the time. I've always had this kinda dumb dream of owning a full set of Genelecs solely because they look so unusual relative to most other high-end monitors or even speakers in general, but that's definitely in the realm of "if I ever won the lottery" because I don't see the point in spending crazy amounts of money on audio.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

5-HT posted:

it's funny because i'm finding myself wanting to upgrade my car speakers w/ focal kit

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091PS165FX/Focal-Performance-PS-165FX.html?tp=106&avf=Y

tbh pricing isn't bad considering that I'm finding myself just listening to music more on my commute then any other time now as of late. basically no worse than traditional speakers.

That is a pretty decent price on that setup but I don't think I'd spend $1400 on car speakers without also throwing some DSP into the mix, and that can be kinda tricky with factory units, particularly ones that integrate other things like a bluetooth connection, voice commands, etc...

E: OH gently caress they have a vehicle specific sub kit for my truck!
https://www.focal-america.com/product/flax-ford-single-10/

qirex posted:

Those Focal Kantas are really nice looking except for this:

Totally wouldn't want to see ""F" Sandwich Technology" every time I looked at my 10 grand speakers. Even if I was sitting far enough away that I couldn't read it I'd know it was there.

I don't know... an F sandwich sounds kinda tasty to me.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 22, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't know... an F sandwich sounds kinda tasty to me.
Text me

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Ruflux posted:

Looking at the cool speakers posted here, I'll be honest: if I was rich I'd totally buy audio equipment on the basis of sounds good to my ears but also looks good according my tastes at the time. I've always had this kinda dumb dream of owning a full set of Genelecs solely because they look so unusual relative to most other high-end monitors or even speakers in general, but that's definitely in the realm of "if I ever won the lottery" because I don't see the point in spending crazy amounts of money on audio.

I bought the desktop Genelecs about 10 years ago, and they’re the best set of computer speakers I’ve ever owned. The A102? or something like that.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just as they're incapable of understanding the principals of audio reproduction, so too are audiophiles unable to understand that the thread title is literal.

Anyways, here's some dumbass as this post should have some content, even if we're all tired of laughing at cable risers.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ruflux posted:

This is why I have Magnapan MMGWs still. Got them in my apartment living days, so they were good at lower volume, but now I have a house proper, they're not always punchy enough

They'll do, for now though and will likely find their way into my office or something.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Wasabi the J posted:

This is why I have Magnapan MMGWs still. Got them in my apartment living days, so they were good at lower volume, but now I have a house proper, they're not always punchy enough

They'll do, for now though and will likely find their way into my office or something.

I feel like this picture will elicit feedback from the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does the cactus light help with sharp transients in the soundscape?