Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Stupid question: in let’s go I caught a bunch of Pokémon with reg pokeballs. But I caught one with a great ball. Now my Pokémon in reg pokeballs look lame. Can I swap them from reg to great balz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Give me Armored Mega Ampharos.

She would be the goofiest Hair Metal God that ever existed.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just watched the first episode of the PUSA dub ("Fear Factor Phony"). The new VAs are...not great, especially Team Rocket's. Meowth is the one that seems to have gotten the worst reception at the time, but James is the one that really annoys me. His voice is just too deep, but he's still trying to sound "gay" or maybe "posh," and just ends up sounding stupid. Ash is also rather deep and oddly scratchy at times, higher-pitched at other times; I guess that makes sense if we assume he's starting puberty (yes, I know that Best Wishes will retcon him back to being 10), but it still annoys me a bit. Jessie now has some kind of accent I can't quite place, which doesn't fit the character at all. Max now sounds younger and more vulnerable (at least intermittently), which I guess theoretically makes more sense for the ~8-year-old he's supposed to be, but feels wrong for a cocky nerd like him in practice. But maybe he just sounds like that because he's supposed to be a bit scared for much of the episode. Brock is fine, I guess; somewhat different from his 4Kids voice, but different isn't necessarily bad. May is hard to evaluate because she spends so much of the episode terrified, but she also seems fine.

Hopefully the new VAs will improve, or at least I'll get used to them. Meowth and Ash sound intermittently OK; maybe they'll do their better line deliveries consistently eventually. James is probably a hopeless case, and unfortunately the next episode is a James-centric one.

The actual episode was decent. I like that they actually gave a backstory for why the Psychic-types and Ghost-types didn't get along, as opposed to episodes like "Whichever Way the Wind Blows" where particular species of Pokemon just hate each other for no real reason. I also like that the Ralts line being in the Amorphous Egg Group was plot-important (or maybe the Wobuffet-Kirlia romance was just a coincidence, since the Pokemon crushes in "Once in a Mawile" ignored Egg Groups).

Edit: The new theme song is crap, by the way. I wasn't a big fan of "Unbeatable" (the tune was too similar to the past OPs, and the overconfident lyrics annoyed me a little), but it was better than this.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 17, 2019

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Stupid question: in let’s go I caught a bunch of Pokémon with reg pokeballs. But I caught one with a great ball. Now my Pokémon in reg pokeballs look lame. Can I swap them from reg to great balz?

Nah. Sorry.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Even the best tpci opening pales compared to the 4kids ones.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Unbeatable is a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_49dfhh5XU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

Just watched the first episode of the PUSA dub ("Fear Factor Phony"). The new VAs are...not great, especially Team Rocket's. Meowth is the one that seems to have gotten the worst reception at the time, but James is the one that really annoys me. His voice is just too deep, but he's still trying to sound "gay" or maybe "posh," and just ends up sounding stupid. Ash is also rather deep and oddly scratchy at times, higher-pitched at other times; I guess that makes sense if we assume he's starting puberty (yes, I know that Best Wishes will retcon him back to being 10), but it still annoys me a bit. Jessie now has some kind of accent I can't quite place, which doesn't fit the character at all. Max now sounds younger and more vulnerable (at least intermittently), which I guess theoretically makes more sense for the ~8-year-old he's supposed to be, but feels wrong for a cocky nerd like him in practice. But maybe he just sounds like that because he's supposed to be a bit scared for much of the episode. Brock is fine, I guess; somewhat different from his 4Kids voice, but different isn't necessarily bad. May is hard to evaluate because she spends so much of the episode terrified, but she also seems fine.

Hopefully the new VAs will improve, or at least I'll get used to them. Meowth and Ash sound intermittently OK; maybe they'll do their better line deliveries consistently eventually. James is probably a hopeless case, and unfortunately the next episode is a James-centric one.

The actual episode was decent. I like that they actually gave a backstory for why the Psychic-types and Ghost-types didn't get along, as opposed to episodes like "Whichever Way the Wind Blows" where particular species of Pokemon just hate each other for no real reason. I also like that the Ralts line being in the Amorphous Egg Group was plot-important (or maybe the Wobuffet-Kirlia romance was just a coincidence, since the Pokemon crushes in "Once in a Mawile" ignored Egg Groups).

Edit: The new theme song is crap, by the way. I wasn't a big fan of "Unbeatable" (the tune was too similar to the past OPs, and the overconfident lyrics annoyed me a little), but it was better than this.

The transition to the new voice actors is *REALLY* jarring, but it does get better over time. They settle into the role decently enough.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Give me Armored Mega Ampharos.

She would be the goofiest Hair Metal God that ever existed.

Relatedly, at least you get Mareep on the route after Forced Lucario Land and you can also pick up Ampharosite on the optional sea route jutting off of it. Seems like a good way to wash the taste out of your mouth.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my team in xy was delphox, lucario, sylveon, greninja, aegislash, and serperior (i think?). it was the perfect balance of new and old pokemon. aside from that my type coverage suuuuuuucked

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gripweed posted:

Why did Pokemon X give me a Lucario? What am I supposed to do with it? I already have a Delphox, I don't need two ugly fox fursuits on my team.

I’m pretty sure it’s the first time you see mega evolution. It loses its effect if you played one of the later games first.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

It also ensures you actually have something that can Mega Evolve, since X and Y give you so few Mega Stones that it's very easy to end up with no Mega Evolvable Pokémon whatsoever.

less laughter posted:

it's the Steel Ditto evo from the GS beta
Animon isn't actually a Steel-type. (Whether it was intended to be one is open to debate - it doesn't look it, but the fact you get it by using a Metal Coat on Ditto certainly suggests it ought to be.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crosscontaminant posted:

It also ensures you actually have something that can Mega Evolve, since X and Y give you so few Mega Stones that it's very easy to end up with no Mega Evolvable Pokémon whatsoever.

Yeah, before the Elite 4 you can only get the Kanto Starters, Lucario, Ampharos, Gengar, Aerodactyl and Abomasnow's mega stones.

Its a really weird collection and several of them are pretty hidden on top of that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Original Pokeball is a classic for a reason. Everything looks great in it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Beachcomber posted:

Original Pokeball is a classic for a reason. Everything looks great in it.

Everything looks better in a Premier Ball though.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Premier balls are too white. What you do, is hoard premier balls so you know how many pokeballs you've bought.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

The White Dragon posted:

my team in xy was delphox, lucario, sylveon, greninja, aegislash, and serperior (i think?). it was the perfect balance of new and old pokemon. aside from that my type coverage suuuuuuucked

i looked it up and mine was golurk mothim dedenne gogoat tyrantrum and corphish

beautiful

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s the first time you see mega evolution. It loses its effect if you played one of the later games first.

It would've had less effect if I hadn't played Alpha Sapphire first. At least I knew mega evolution is a good thing lots of Pokemon can do, if I had played X first I would've been like, "They've been talking about it all this time but all it does is make that weird fox person look slightly different? OK"

X isn't very good but this is my jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DowtqHYJhj4

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Luxury Ball or bust.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Are we discussing Rumble Rush ITT? I just installed it yesterday and I'm getting up to speed on how to best waste money on micro transactions.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Just lol if you don't catch every Pokemon in the ball that best matches their color scheme.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

oddium posted:

i looked it up and mine was golurk mothim dedenne gogoat tyrantrum and corphish

beautiful

Greninja, Venusaur, Aegislash, Gardevoir, Salamence and my big chunky boy Mamoswine.

I don't care much for any of the Kalos starters but that was some sweet type coverage.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

ajkalan posted:

Just lol if you don't catch every Pokemon in the ball that best matches their color scheme.
I support this for anything except Kyogre, which clearly belongs in a Dive Ball.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I remember I caught Dialga in a net ball because it was the last one I had left and it actually looked really cool

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Due to a wacky bet back in 2013, I played Y with a rotating roster

BEWWanderer as Charizard lvl 54
J-BYYX as Delphox lvl 54
Sevus as Krookodile lvl 52
Turtwig19 as Vivillon lvl 53
A-hole as Carbink lvl 55
Lord Zedd as Tyrantrum lvl 53
MystikX as Talonflame lvl 54
BryonYNGBLD as Absol lvl 51
Seridas as Garchomp lvl 50
Kahun as Alakazam lvl 54
LastMinute as Hawlucha lvl 53
Kaiser30 as Dragalge lvl 55
CedarMill as Golurk lvl 56
k-w as Avalugg lvl 50
LightningH as Lapras lvl 51
MAXCOLAPOWER as Lucario lvl 50
DTheAntihero as Gengar lvl 52
Izayoi Aki as Magnezone lvl 50
ThatPandaG as Pangoro lvl 54
Isaac232 as Aegislash lvl 52
Metamorph as Ursaring lvl 51
Grabanth as Heliolisk lvl 30
Niedude as Heracross lvl 32
unsnaggedtea as Azumarril lvl 33

Had Delphox, Heracross, Carbink, Magnezone, Aegislash and Lapras for the E4

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Due to a wacky bet back in 2013, I played Y with a rotating roster

About that time my friend and I wanted to do randomized teams to battle each other, but I was never able to figure out a way to pull it off well, because it required a lot of effort to get certain 'mons.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Even the best tpci opening pales compared to the 4kids ones.

The best opening is still the first dub one, but "We Will Be Heroes", "Battle Cry - Stand Up!", "It's Always You and Me", and "Under the Alolan Moon" are better than anything 4Kids put out afterwards.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I distinctly remember disliking the mega Lucario reveal the first time around. I had already seen the Kanto starter megas and mega mewtwos online. So Lucario confirmed that mega Blastoise looking okay was a fluke. It wasn't till much later I saw mega abomasnow/ampharos/Gengar that I realized mega evolutions could be rad.

Heck, I'm playing a blue mons only run right now and I don't want him on my team except as an hm user.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

The best opening is still the first dub one, but "We Will Be Heroes", "Battle Cry - Stand Up!", "It's Always You and Me", and "Under the Alolan Moon" are better than anything 4Kids put out afterwards.

Under the Alolan Moon is pretty alright, but literally that whole list pales in comparison to the Johto theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYbDnixcYDE

The SM Japanese OPs have all been bangers, too. I think this youtuber does a really good job at making english covers for them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PHfocse8mo

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 17, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Under the Alolan Moon is pretty alright, but literally that whole list pales in comparison to the Johto theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYbDnixcYDE

The SM Japanese OPs have all been bangers, too. I think this youtuber does a really good job at making english covers for them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PHfocse8mo

I mean if we bring Japanese OPs into this neither dub’s songs stand up at all

But I never liked that Johto opening. It completely oversells Johto as this “new place where everything is new and dramatically different!” when it’s the most milquetoast and unengaging the anime has ever been.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nodosaur posted:

But I never liked that Johto opening. It completely oversells Johto as this “new place where everything is new and dramatically different!” when it’s the most milquetoast and unengaging the anime has ever been.

That is a strong stance when Best Wishes is like right there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Fair point.

I get what you're saying, but that's more of a failure of the anime than of the song. The song does a fantastic job at selling that these are new adventures, a new region to explore, for the first time new pokemon, and getting you hype for them.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Make this mainstream, Game Freak
Walking pokemon with cosmetic items
I don't care if the story and region quality has to take a nosedive because you spend 90% of the production period making sure the hats and glasses fit

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://twitter.com/pokejungle/status/1129428196624089089

Vinylshadow posted:

Make this mainstream, Game Freak
Walking pokemon with cosmetic items
I don't care if the story and region quality has to take a nosedive because you spend 90% of the production period making sure the hats and glasses fit

Divide hats into 3 sizes to make it easier, just small/medium/large that can only go on pokemon of those sizes.

Then beating the Elite 4 lets you mix and match, like putting a 10 gallon hat on a joltik (the joltik just hides inside it) or having Tyranitar look like this

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 17, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Zore posted:

That is a strong stance when Best Wishes is like right there.

Best Wishes had Cilan and very memorable and fun recurring characters

Johto had an growing increasingly irrelevant Brock and Misty

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Fair point.

I get what you're saying, but that's more of a failure of the anime than of the song. The song does a fantastic job at selling that these are new adventures, a new region to explore, for the first time new pokemon, and getting you hype for them.

I guess that’s a fair point but it’s hard separating one’s feelings from the material and the OP for it, at least for me anyway

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Game Freak is leaving money on the table by not adding cosmetic microtransactions in the games. I wanna put a fake mustache on my Starmie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SO YA WANNA BE A MASTER OF

POKEMON

DO YA HAVE THE SKILLZ TO BE

NUMBAH ONE

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dias posted:

Game Freak is leaving money on the table by not adding cosmetic microtransactions in the games.

and may God bless them for it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vandar posted:

SO YA WANNA BE A MASTER OF

POKEMON

DO YA HAVE THE SKILLZ TO BE

NUMBAH ONE

I like how I never heard the USA version of that song and I still knew which one it was.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cresselia in OR: just a random daily chance to be available, right? I have captured every legendary I can get other than that and the ones that require me to have the AS legendaries. And the other Lati (have the dex entry for a couple of these thanks to RatHat though). There's so many!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dias posted:

Game Freak is leaving money on the table by not adding cosmetic microtransactions in the games. I wanna put a fake mustache on my Starmie.

Amiibo of every Pokemon, each one unlocks a different hat you can put on your Pokemon in the game