Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

My favorite FF town..that's a tough one. I love Alexandria in FFIX. Cosmo Canyon in FFVII is of course really cool and interesting on multiple levels and has a great theme song.

Speaking of towns that have it all, can I count Zozo? It has a great aesthetic, a great theme and a neat gimmick. It's the only town I remember in FFVI. Thankfully Kefka didn't blow it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Giott's Castle owns because Giott doesn't give a gently caress and the dwarves are so god drat chill and probably drunk.

Otherwise, I'd go with a bunch of FF9 towns. I really like Dali and how it subtlely changes during the course of the game, Treno's whole class war thing, and the Black Mage Village as mentioned.

Fisherman's Horizon also seems alright, except I remember not liking the mayor. Good music, though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

IX's town game is extremely strong. Even the smaller ones like Dali are great

VIII too just because I always found it exciting when I was a kid arriving in a new town and planning the next SeeD operation (Like the plan to trap Edea during the parade in Deling/the train heist in Timber/the dollet mission/wait we're going into space??? in esthar) please let me be a SeeD

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lindblum is my second choice but i have to go with midgar. is midgar cheating?

anyway my reason is, they probably have an artnia

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I really like Icicle Inn, it has one of my favorite video game winter themes.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Favorite towns by game:

FF1: Gaia, the best spells in the game are here
FF2: ehh no favorite here
FF3: Falgabard
FF4: Troia, mainly because the castle has really good music
FF5: Walse, I guess I have a thing for water features)
FF6: Narshe (when you can actually traverse it)
FF7: Wutai
FF8: Dollet, this poor town gets forgotten but it's a cool looking place to revisit after the plot points
FF9: Black Mage Village, Daguerro is a close second
FF10: Luca
FF12: Bhujerba

Towns with unique music are extra pluses, hence Falgabard, Narshe and Black Mage Village.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 16, 2019

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I'm gonna go with Figaro Castle. :science:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Favorite towns by game:

FF1: Gaia, the best spells in the game are here
FF2: ehh no favorite here
FF3: Falgabard
FF4: Troia, mainly because the castle has really good music
FF5: Walse, I guess I have a thing for water features)
FF6: Narshe (when you can actually traverse it)
FF7: Wutai
FF8: Dollet, this poor town gets forgotten but it's a cool looking place to revisit after the plot points
FF9: Black Mage Village, Daguerro is a close second
FF10: Luca
FF12: Bhujerba

Towns with unique music are extra pluses, hence Falgabard, Narshe and Black Mage Village.

Ya know I was talking about tonal dissonance in 90s JRPGs and I completely forgot Dollet. Dollet, that place you first encounter while it's under vicious, merciless assault and which is then placed under occupation by a tyrannical empire.

And this is its theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOjyk62BEaw

Just stroll around and talk to the transvestite in the bar or play some card games, pay no mind to the giant mechanical spider. That military invasion thing happened two whole days ago!

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 16, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Of the ones I've played significantly:

V: Walse
XI: Adoulin, solely for the music in Eastern Adoulin.
XII: Eruyt Village, again for the chill music.
XIV: Ishgard, music again.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m happy to see everyone else likes Black Mage Village too. The Une’s Mirror/Doga’s Artifact easter egg is another plus.

As a kid, all the numbers in RPGs were intimidating, but I always loved walking around towns talking to people. Video games being more than collecting coins, and stomping goombas is still pretty magical.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
9 has a lot of good towns but i think daguerro and esto gaza are my favorite. the former for the aesthetic and being optional, the latter for the music

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've always liked Rabanastre in FF12. Feels crowded without folks getting in the way, and makes me nostalgic for the desert I grew up in (with how many stickers and needles one would need to pull out of their socks/shoes, I'm pretty sure we actually had cactaurs going after people)

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Ibblebibble posted:

XI: Adoulin, solely for the music in Eastern Adoulin.

I was always partial to Norg as a quiet compact area with very little foot traffic, a bunch of cool shady ninja mafioso NPCs, and a collection of farmable NMs right outside

Bastok's INDUSTRY AND PROGRESS! theme will forever bring me back to being 16 years old and logging in for the very first time, though (holy hell that was half my lifetime ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iefGrRfDOPY

Taking my first trip through the continent and hearing the bagpipe garbage Sandy starters had to live with was plenty of consolation for being last place in conquest every week

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

pretty soft girl posted:

I was always partial to Norg as a quiet compact area with very little foot traffic, a bunch of cool shady ninja mafioso NPCs, and a collection of farmable NMs right outside

Bastok's INDUSTRY AND PROGRESS! theme will forever bring me back to being 16 years old and logging in for the very first time, though (holy hell that was half my lifetime ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iefGrRfDOPY

Taking my first trip through the continent and hearing the bagpipe garbage Sandy starters had to live with was plenty of consolation for being last place in conquest every week

I've only been playing for a month or so but I started in Sandy and I think its theme and Ronfaure's will be burned into my mind forever.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 17, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pretty soft girl posted:

lol@Lastok

I wasn't even on the goon server and Bastok was always last on Bismarck too, to the point where I had the Windurst outpost teleport to uh... the one right outside Bastok, which was not Ronfaure and my memory is dying (it's Gustaberg but I had to google it) within like, a month of starting playing

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I've always been partial to Nibelheim's horror vibe, from the more thriller-esque subplot of it burning down then having its entire population get replaced with plants from Shinra to the more classic horror vibe of just the entire Shinra Mansion.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'll stan for Daguerro, it's so pretty and optional how can you not love it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I'll stan for Daguerro, it's so pretty and optional how can you not love it?

Its yet another city that undermines FFIXs setting and so grinds my gears.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I actually ended up liking the fact that FF13 had no towns. I didn't have to durdle around for hours trying to find the one stupid rando hidden standing inside a well behind a house under a tree who would tell me where I need to go next.

It was also nice being able to shop for everything through a single interface instead of having to trudge between 5 different shops that may or may not be near each other.

I played the demo for FF13-2 and HATED the town in it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Basically what I'm saying is that I hate towns and people and civilization.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What town was in the demo I bought the game blind on release day because I'm a true FF fan

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

Basically what I'm saying is that I hate towns and people and civilization.

I hate people too, and that's why I play Final Fantasy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Bastok sucks rear end but it's connected to Gustaberg which has the best track of vanilla XI, so I guess it edges out over San d'Oria and Windurst that way.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Bastok sucks rear end but it's connected to Gustaberg which has the best track of vanilla XI, so I guess it edges out over San d'Oria and Windurst that way.

Gustaberg is pure misery, even as a Bastok lifer I know Ronfaure is the superior track and area

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

While were on the topic of 11, crossposting this cool thing from the XI thread

Kazy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSHnLtg7NKA

Welp, I have entirely too much time on my hands.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pretty soft girl posted:

Gustaberg is pure misery, even as a Bastok lifer I know Ronfaure is the superior track and area
Ronfaure had the best music by a mile but I really dug the chill Sarutabaruta field countryside aesthetic

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

pretty soft girl posted:

Don't get me wrong, Gustaberg as an area? Bad. Nothing but grey crags everywhere. Ronfaure is much nicer and also has murderbunnies and the Yagudo.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Don't get me wrong, Gustaberg as an area? Bad. Nothing but grey crags everywhere. Ronfaure is much nicer and also has murderbunnies and the Yagudo.

Yagudo were in sarutabaruta. Orcs were Ronfaure.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Yagudo were in sarutabaruta. Orcs were Ronfaure.

Oh, well gently caress Ronfaure then. Orcs sucked and that uncap quest in Davoi might be the worst thing in the game.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Black mage village.
The atmosphere and the music are just excellent.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Ishgard, because it's basically Anor Londo.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Not really in any kind of numbered order, just whatever comes to mind

VIII: Deling City was always really cool and didn't overstay it's welcome imo. Had a nice track as well.
X: Mt Gagazet, not a city but it is the Ronso home and has one of my all time favourite pieces of video game music
VI: Don't really remember any towns/cities that stood out to me, but the phantom train owns so i'll go with that (it technically has an inn!)
XII: Forget the name but the village at the top of the mountain with the nu mou was really neat
VII: Red XIII's village, great music and was really the first 'fantasy'-feeling town you encounter
XIII: Has to be Oerba as the only town you can really "visit" and its theme is great as well
IX: I really like Lindblum as a frequent stopping point and how it transforms during the plot
XIV: Kugane is amazing and I usually spend any time i'm not running content just hanging around here and maybe climbing the platform tower for shiggles
LR: Snows utopia - meow meow choco chow

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

FF7 Switch got patched. A few days after I beat it. But better than never.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

I hate people too, and that's why I play Final Fantasy.

No that's because you hate yourself.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I-None of the cities really stand out as memorable to me here....everything feels very samey.
II-See #1
III-Didn't really play 3
IV-Mysidia, I just really like the whole idea of a mages town, it was a lot of fun.
V-Phantom Village, something about being able to pass through it when everything is frozen as well as when it is a bustling village just felt really neat to me.
VI-Vector, I'm a huge sucker for magipunk in general, and Vector has that in spades.
VII-Midgar...but if thats to obvious Cosmo Canyon. Midgar is just an amazing sprawling location but it very easily can be subdivided into different sections that also easily count as cities in their own right, with Wall Market and Sector VII, let alone the Shinra HQ so outside of that its gotta be Cosmo Canyon, if for nothing else the awesome music that comes with the city.
VIII-Deling City, it just felt like a real capital of a militaristic superpower.
IX-Lindblum, I love my steampunk airship city, and Lindblum just had the right tone for me in that regard.
X-Besaid, its the perfect intro city, it feels like a little piece of island paradise, with just the right hints as to the fallen glory in its past.
XI-never played
XII-Rabanastre, what can I say, it was just a cool desert fantasy metropolis.
XIII-Uh, that one lake city in cocoon you see in a flashback where like Snow and Serah ride around in fireworks, that place seemed nice
XIV-never played
XV-Altissia, I like the water city

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YggiDee posted:

So anyway I finished the FFVII LP and that was really well done. drat.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

Barudak posted:

Its yet another city that undermines FFIXs setting and so grinds my gears.

how does it do that and what other cities do that

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

No that's because you hate yourself.

I’m the only people I know.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Alright, worst towns:

FF1: Provoka, stupidly big making it difficult to get around, bad gear and spells
FF2: Galtrea, why does this town exist?
FF3: Gyshal, completely useless
FF4: Mist village, but that's Cecil's fault
FF5: Jachol, forgettable
FF6: Tzen, technically the only optional town (maybe Maranda too) in the game? It's small and unremarkable
FF7: North Corel, the West Virginia of FF towns
FF8: Esthar, I normally like massive towns but this one is a nightmare to navigate
FF9: Dali, I guess, overall FF9 has the best town aesthetics
FF10: Bevelle
FF12: Archades, annoying to navigate and a stupid minigame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Just got to the cutscene where you get on the Strahl for the first time in FF12 and drat that's a good rear end music track. The game itself may bear little resemblance to FF6 other than espers and the Empire, but drat it it doesn't give me a warm remembrance of getting on the Highwind with Setzer the first time. Actually come to think of it there was a lot of stuff in FF12 that tickler my nostalgia feelers wrt to FF6 but I was never sure if that was intentional or just a byproduct of it being the 12th numbered entry in a long running series.