Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Is he a man of the jacuzzi or a man of the land...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
lame way of writing yasuho out of the main plot yet again. i hope she gets a fight against her ex who is almost certainly a stand user tho

not knowing what soft and wet was doing yet again

Pootybutt posted:

That's the guy Kira hassled into biting his own fingers off. But uhh, possibly??
Those are the same guy, he just looks a lot tanner than I remember. He has the Fun Fun Fun controlling mark on his chest

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Is he really 89 years old!?!?!?!?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Baron La Croix posted:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Baron La Croix posted:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There are still like nine eight nine chapters of Green Day and Oasis left, I suspect they'll break it into three and the super MUDA will be at the end of the next episode.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 17, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also I realize a lot of the reason it's so memorable is just the panel composition but I was a little underwhelmed by how they adapted this part:

Oh well.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arist posted:

Also I realize a lot of the reason it's so memorable is just the panel composition but I was a little underwhelmed by how they adapted this part:

TBH this I feel a lot of part 5 (and latter part 4) has really failed as, like, an adaption.

A lot of what makes Jojo so good is how it plays with panel layouts, perspectives, and how it uses exposition as a tool to heighten the tension. Often these techniques arn't as effective in an animated format, and so the series suffers from being as literally translated as it is.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 17, 2019

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do the fingers still go in the pants? I must know

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the super MUDA will be an entire episode

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Baron La Croix posted:

New thread title please.

Expect My Mom posted:

not knowing what soft and wet was doing yet again

Pretty sure it just made a bunch of bubbles to prevent them from touching the car. Don't overthink it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

Do the fingers still go in the pants? I must know

Unfortunately no

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Schwarzwald posted:

TBH this I feel a lot of part 5 (and latter part 4) has really failed as, like, an adaption.

A lot of what makes Jojo so good is how it plays with panel layouts, perspectives, and how it uses exposition as a tool to heighten the tension. Often these techniques arn't as effective in an animated format, and so the series suffers from being as literally translated as it is.
i really can't disagree with this less

things like the music, colors and voice acting have increased this series exponentially for me. i agree that some things certainly got lost in translation, but all that doesn't matter to me when we get things like the torture dance, or kira's VA preformance or narancia's crying

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

i really can't disagree with this less

things like the music, colors and voice acting have increased this series exponentially for me. i agree that some things certainly got lost in translation, but all that doesn't matter to me when we get things like the torture dance, or kira's VA preformance or narancia's crying

The torture dance was very good, but I feel like that's an exception that proves my point. For one, in the manga it's a set of panels all shown from the same perspective that's designed to show choreography, so it's uniquely suited to being adapted into animation. For another, the anmation expanded upon the manga panels significantly, that is, they went farther in adapting it. It shows that the anime can be quite good when they actually take liberties with the material, so what a shame they don't do that more often!

Compare that with the Thankful Dead episodes. Any given scene from them looks like a direct copy from a manga panel, only in place of the dynamic panel layout they have speed lines and graphical effects -- and while the graphical effects can be great, they're not so great that they make up for the fact that there basically isn't any animation.

This ties into your praise for the VA's and performances and such. You're correct that they're great, but that doesn't make it a good anime, it makes it a good audio drama.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

The torture dance was very good, but I feel like that's an exception that proves my point. For one, in the manga it's a set of panels all shown from the same perspective that's designed to show choreography, so it's uniquely suited to being adapted into animation. For another, the anmation expanded upon the manga panels significantly, that is, they went farther in adapting it. It shows that the anime can be quite good when they actually take liberties with the material, so what a shame they don't do that more often!

Compare that with the Thankful Dead episodes. Any given scene from them looks like a direct copy from a manga panel, only in place of the dynamic panel layout they have speed lines and graphical effects -- and while the graphical effects can be great, they're not so great that they make up for the fact that there basically isn't any animation.

This ties into your praise for the VA's and performances and such. You're correct that they're great, but that doesn't make it a good anime, it makes it a good audio drama.

Yeah, Grateful Dead(and Notorious) is where I feel what you're saying the hardest. Bruno's bits were mostly good, but the scene he unzips himself really let me down. They even left out the sfx!

Otoh, I loved Giorno and Mista's pistol pose. The editing coulda been snappier, maybe, but the camerawork and hold on the pose for a tic was rad, I literally cheered.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Schwarzwald posted:

I do see your point, but I also think of things like the White Album fight, Metallica or Highway Star, where they flex their sakuga muscles more. Outside of that, they've had great shots with Doppio, I've loved how they've done his transformations, and Spice Girl's debut, there's this constant pink filter on everything that I like a lot.

I guess for me, I love the content of JoJo so much, that I just don't mind or don't care. There's been a lot of shots where characters don't have eyes in medium shots, or look really rough in the background, but really this could be One Punch Man Season 2 levels of rushed and I'd still tune in happily every week to finally see something I've wanted to see animated. The fact that we get something way better, on top of fantastic performances and original music makes this one of my favorite adaptations ever probably. It's not that I think it's wrong to want things to be better, I'm just stoked to see JoJo at all

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I will say that I see your point more after watching today's episode lol

It felt a little disjointed and even having read I was a little unsure of what was happening. Bruno and Secco's first exchange felt sloppy and there's a def moment where Mista bends down to get a better shot of Secco where he should've gotten molded. I didn't remember the dialogue between Narancia and Trish and thought that was weird, but that's not really the anime's fault

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

bruno vs king crimson was perfect imo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurora posted:

bruno vs king crimson was perfect imo

That long shot of Bruno awkwardly swaying as King Crimson monologued behind him looked pretty stupid tbh

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont think rai is long for this world :(

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Baron La Croix posted:

He's a man of the land,
He's into discipline.
Got a Bible in his hand
And a beard on his chin.
But if he finishes all of his chores
And you finish thine
Then tonight we're gonna party
Like it's

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bad Seafood posted:

He's a man of the land,
He's into discipline.
Got a Bible in his hand
And a beard on his chin.
But if he finishes all of his chores
And you finish thine
Then tonight we're gonna party
Like it's

drat

Night Goat
Oct 24, 2009

Baron La Croix posted:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Did Polnareff get shown this early in the manga?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How long was the muda? Less than sixty full seconds is unsatisfactory

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hatty posted:

How long was the muda? Less than sixty full seconds is unsatisfactory

i need an answer to this question too

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
The Muda was thirty seconds long.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a good length, it might seem "short" but watching it all in a row is kind of exhausting.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The primary escalation throughout Jojo's is in the levels and frequency of self mutilation. Cutting off one's hand is never a bad idea.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
then there is jolyne, whose entire power is self mutilation.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That old bastard has a cool stand.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3NkLBzqfR8

This is great, but the comment section for the original song is a mess now, lol.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Apes-Ma posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3NkLBzqfR8

This is great, but the comment section for the original song is a mess now, lol.

The curse of the Joestars will never die.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Did Polnareff get shown this early in the manga?

There are eight episodes of the anime left

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
https://twitter.com/mombot/status/1132640242530279424

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

found the part 8 translator's car

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

STOUP~~~~~! Child Abuseeeeeee~~ + Tourture froum a DISTAAAAAAAAAANCE~!

* They Sexually Abuse Childreeeeen~~~~ With [Cyberdilonics]/'Wired Sex'!

They 'Can' Read 'Your' Thoughts~~~~

Search Search

Internet Internet

([Active Countact Lenses])

They tourture with '[Biounic Eye Systems]' using 'Their' Thoughts~~~~!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vocal percussion on a whole 'nother level coming from my mind~~~~~!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
just remembered that part 7 ends with johnny marrying a woman with no lines who we've literally never seen before and getting pissed off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's just weird that johnny x gyro is the biggest ship in jojo that isn't canon