Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Roundup Ready posted:

It is Pubert. Also I'm going to remove that picture for my buddy's sake. New Pubert picture in place

That was the unfortunate nickname in high school we had for a guy who was...a little behind in going through puberty. Idk why you’d name your dog that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Previa_fun posted:

You'd be extremely dumb to buy any Tesla IMO

What's the beef with the 3 specifically? I get being worried about the company as a whole, but the cars themselves seem to be amazing for the price. I partly opted against one because of the unknown of hooking up a charger at home, and the fact that a model 3 is every 3rd car on the road where I live.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I've half considered one to offset the wife's 3 hour daily commute with the autopilot. My understanding was there were some production quality issues that have been shored up and they were apparently pretty good about resolving that stuff if you got a bad run.

I got my GTI back from the body shop and they did a drat good job. You can't tell it isn't the original bumper. I had a plan brewing to pay it off in full and move to a 2019 with adaptive cruise, but that accident is going to kill the value on the thing. Still love it though.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 16, 2019

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Warbird posted:

the wife's 3 hour daily commute
I know there's usually some reason for stuff like this, but I can never wrap my head around it. Instead of buying a car, use some of that money to move closer to her work?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nuts and Gum posted:

What's the beef with the 3 specifically? I get being worried about the company as a whole, but the cars themselves seem to be amazing for the price. I partly opted against one because of the unknown of hooking up a charger at home, and the fact that a model 3 is every 3rd car on the road where I live.

3+ month parts backorder alone kills it for me

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Plus you get a car you will never be able to sell so you got that going for you.

Lol if you give a gently caress about resale value. Get your car for you, not the next guy.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

3+ month parts backorder alone kills it for me

I forgot about the parts/maintenance situation. That is pretty awful. The R gives me a taste of what autonomy can be like and it's amazing. Sucks that there will be zero improvements to the software since they're all in on MKVIII.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I know there's usually some reason for stuff like this, but I can never wrap my head around it. Instead of buying a car, use some of that money to move closer to her work?

You're correct there, but given circumstances the car is the better investment here. We do well, but we're not going to be in house downpayment territory again for a year or two at least, plus saving up for a kid and whatnot. We have zero intention of selling our current property and will be renting it out when we leave, so no capital from that right now. If/when she goes full time at her current place we'll move. The commute is a grin and bear it thing right now; plus her Civic Hybrid is getting up in years and miles.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

We have an entire thread for the shitshow that is Elon Musk/Tesla.

The model 3 is the 'worst' of all the Teslas, which are themselves relatively bad for a $70k luxury vehicle. Basically everyone with a Tesla right now is a beta tester for Autopilot, and it's been known to get confused by things like 'the side of a semi-truck', 'blank billboards', 'streaks of mud on an exit ramp' and 'fire trucks' and crash fatally. To turn the wipers on manually requires looking through 5 menus on a :fuckoff: huge iPad in the middle console. Cast aluminum wheel struts that break all the time, causing the fabled Whompy Wheel syndrome. If you open the rear trunk in the rain, it dumps all the surface water into the trunk, because none of the designers in sunny California thought about precipitation during the design process. If you drive in the snow, the under-car aerodynamics will kick slush up into the bumper, and it will eventually rip off. They put out a warning that driving in a puddle more than 1" deep would void the warranty, for that exact reason. They had to do a firmware update to improve the brakes after 6 months on the road once Consumer Reports poo poo all over the terrible braking distance.

They're trying to crank out Model 3's so fast QC is a bare minimum so some have mismatched door panels, missing bolts, and/or paint swirls from the factory. The QC on the battery cells is also barely existent, so there is literally always a chance it will light on fire while charging. 3 months is a minimum for spare parts.

This is all off the top of my head.

:siren: love the car though :siren:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I finally gave up on trying to figure out the noise coming from my front wheel after replacing the rotor that I was sure was the problem and took it to the dealer.

Turns out it was the wheel bearing, just instead of the usual kinds of failures that cause a more grindy type noise I managed to dent one of the bearing races which made it make a noise every rotation. Best guess is it happened when I potholed a wheel last year.

I guess I have a spare set of front pads now. The old rotors were definitely damaged by the bad pads from last year, just they weren't the cause of the noise apparently.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I have a slightly longer commute, and for me it’s the only way to be able to afford land.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Roundup Ready posted:

I've been carting around my buddy's pup for the last week. He's just heavy enough to trigger the seat belt alarm on the passengers side in my mk6 gti. Is not exactly the worst, but it's kind of annoying. Is there any way to disable that warning? Here's a dog picture tribute.

Edit for apparently doxxing my friend via dog collar

I turned the seatbelt warning off w/ VCDS. SO much better. I don't even get a light anymore.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

revmoo posted:

I turned the seatbelt warning off w/ VCDS. SO much better. I don't even get a light anymore.

I did this too. It owns. I also did some dumb stuff like enable driving school mode which has no practical purposes but why not?

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

revmoo posted:

I'll have to look into this, sounds pretty cool. Thanks!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Tire rack now stocks rpf-1s in bronze for the FiST in 15-17" sizes.

Since I curbed the gently caress out of one wheel, I am sorely tempted.

E: I'M À FOOL IGNORE ME

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 17, 2019

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Tire rack now stocks rpf-1s in bronze for the FiST in 15-17" sizes.

Since I curbed the gently caress out of one wheel, I am sorely tempted.

Holy poo poo. Edit - just checked and dont see them?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I got lied to by a search list. The pontiac g5 coupe has 4x100, not the 4x108 we need.

God. drat. It.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I got lied to by a search list. The pontiac g5 coupe has 4x100, not the 4x108 we need.

God. drat. It.

You can get 16x7 here

https://www.oakos.com/ENK-379-670-3443BP.htm

Theyre local to me, good folks.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Teslas have even worse interiors than BMWs. The only "luxury" thing about them is the price.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
Might be the first one here with one----- just sold our 2012 MCA Mustang and got a 2019 Veloster N w/perf pack. Complements my wife's modded Fiesta ST!

Really really loving the active exhaust and rev matching. This thing _sounds_ incredible! Feels way way way better than a stock Focus ST, which is what we were looking at before they stopped manufacture.

For those not familiar with the N-line, Hyundai stole some engineers from BMW and decided to make a new performance line, ala ST, SVT, etc--- and this is the first model available. This has rev-matching, LSD, electronically adjustable suspension, and active exhaust. It's wicked sick.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You didn't get it in the blue, though!

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

You didn't get it in the blue, though!

I got the last available within 250miles. Good luck for those trying to find one of these.. I think Hyundai totally underestimated the demand for them in the US.

Trust me, I would have bought the blue if I could. Still happy as gently caress though!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I wish they would bring the i30n to the states. I would consider that as a replacement to my MS3.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
You should drive a veloster n, then. It's an absolute riot.

I've decided to go for 15" steel wheels and "decent" all seasons. The comfort and piece of mind gained will vastly outstrip the extra fun to be had on 200$ à corner summers wrapped around (comparitively) big painted rims.

It'll also make the red calipers look giant. Can't say no to that.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So I just finished up getting my rear bumper replaced from a minor accident. The body work is impeccible, but they failed to fix the tag light that stopped working from the accident. I opted to fix it myself as $6 is cheaper than a 45 minute one way drive and time off from work. As I go to stash the extra bulb in a bag of dodads I keep on top of the spare doughnut I notice the bag is wet and covered in condensation.

I'm what could chairtibly be called "annoyed". I noticed the car smelled a bit musty on pickup, but attributed it to it not having been driven in a couple of weeks. It smelled distinctly of a poor interior cleaning, but it cleared up after a couple of days of regular driving and some liberal usage of AC. I did notice the windows being a bit condensation-y lately, but attributed it to the weather getting warmer and humid. I checked the rear emblem drain, but everything seems fine there. All of the interior is dry except the area around and immediately above the spare (aforementioned bag and contents lying on the spare). The water appears to have come in below or below and behind; the carpeting against the back wall was damp).

Do I go yell at the body shop for screwing up part of my weather striping? Do I head down to the dealer and let them do something under warranty (not preferred)? Do I call the insurance company that paid these folks and complain?

In the meantime I've sopped up the worst of it with towels and have the windows cracked. It won't rain for a few days and it gets to 100+ in the car in the afternoon sun, so that should dry out shortly.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 21, 2019

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looked at a CPO ‘17 GTI SE tonight. Price was right at 24.5 out the door, but they refused to allow the car off the lot for a PPI. So, moving on. :|

Tried to get a test drive of a Veloster N as well, but the Hyundai dealership wasn’t letting anyone drive it unless they were willing to buy it for almost 40k before TTL. :wtc:

It’s the last car I have yet to drive, but they all refuse because it’s such a “rare sports car.”

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
That’s kinda high regardless. I bought my 17 SE manual for 26.5k OTD.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Bentai posted:

Looked at a CPO ‘17 GTI SE tonight. Price was right at 24.5 out the door, but they refused to allow the car off the lot for a PPI. So, moving on. :|

Tried to get a test drive of a Veloster N as well, but the Hyundai dealership wasn’t letting anyone drive it unless they were willing to buy it for almost 40k before TTL. :wtc:

It’s the last car I have yet to drive, but they all refuse because it’s such a “rare sports car.”

goddamn that's a markup

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Etrips posted:

That’s kinda high regardless. I bought my 17 SE manual for 26.5k OTD.

Yeah, that seems insane. I was getting quotes barely above that for new 2018s, and those come with the "we're so sorry" warranty.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah seriously. I'm looking to sell my 17 GTI Sport with 20k miles on it for around $20k soon. But I'd sell it to you for $23k so we both get a great deal. :haw:

Detroit area if anybody is actually interested.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 21, 2019

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

thetechnoloser posted:

Might be the first one here with one----- just sold our 2012 MCA Mustang and got a 2019 Veloster N w/perf pack. Complements my wife's modded Fiesta ST!

Really really loving the active exhaust and rev matching. This thing _sounds_ incredible! Feels way way way better than a stock Focus ST, which is what we were looking at before they stopped manufacture.

For those not familiar with the N-line, Hyundai stole some engineers from BMW and decided to make a new performance line, ala ST, SVT, etc--- and this is the first model available. This has rev-matching, LSD, electronically adjustable suspension, and active exhaust. It's wicked sick.

I’m super jelly.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
Totally going to test drive a Hyundai i30N (more Golf shape than the Veloster’s modern-Scirocco shape) when the lease on the R is running out.

But not at the dealership where I got lectured by the sales guy that things like the R were pointless because “no one needs all that power.”

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

JamesOff posted:

Totally going to test drive a Hyundai i30N (more Golf shape than the Veloster’s modern-Scirocco shape) when the lease on the R is running out.

But not at the dealership where I got lectured by the sales guy that things like the R were pointless because “no one needs all that power.”

What kind of dealership would lecture a potential customer on the car they bought? :psyduck:

Report that poo poo to Hyundai corporate - they are trying really hard to improve their dealership experience and don't have the patience for crap like that.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

KillHour posted:

Report that poo poo to Hyundai corporate - they are trying really hard to improve their dealership experience and don't have the patience for crap like that.

eh we were in there for my gf to try out the Ionic (which is a great car but not remotely hot) and they were discussing the N and eying up my car in the customer parking ;) also it was over a year ago now

It was also weird as their dealership used to be a VW one (they moved to a nicer place) where I got my Mk 4 Golf years ago, so everything looked wrong to me

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

Yeah seriously. I'm looking to sell my 17 GTI Sport with 20k miles on it for around $20k soon. But I'd sell it to you for $23k so we both get a great deal. :haw:

Detroit area if anybody is actually interested.

what are you replacing it with?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I've decided to go for 15" steel wheels and "decent" all seasons. The comfort and piece of mind gained will vastly outstrip the extra fun to be had on 200$ à corner summers wrapped around (comparitively) big painted rims.

It'll also make the red calipers look giant. Can't say no to that.

Nah

Nah nah nah gently caress this the pick n pull has like 5 sets of focus 4x108 16" rims and indy firehawk 500s that match oem FiST diameter are 90 bucks on tirerack

gently caress all seasons I ain't going back

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Nah

Nah nah nah gently caress this the pick n pull has like 5 sets of focus 4x108 16" rims and indy firehawk 500s that match oem FiST diameter are 90 bucks on tirerack

If you're near Detroit I've got a lightly used set of Firehawks in 205/50/16 I'll let go for a song. PM me if interested. Def the best cheap summer tire for this car imo.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Sorry to say I am all the way over in Eastern va. I wish I could just pop over and snag em from you though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Correct answer. If you have winter tires or live somewhere that doesn't have winter there's no good reason to use no-season trash in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

what are you replacing it with?

Not sure yet. I need a 2 kid (rear facing :suicide:) hauler. I swallowed my pride and tested out a used Honda Odyssey yesterday and wasn't crazy about it. It won't fit my bike inside without taking a wheel off so not much better than a sedan or wagon. I might be looking into a Buick TourX since they're cheap and there are leftover 2018s out there on dealer lots they may be looking to move cheap. Have to test out how they fit with car seats still, though.