Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

java posted:

Got a bottle of the new Four Roses Small Batch select and am excited to try it out sometime soon. Out of curiosity, how you do you all prefer your bourbon/whiskey/scotch and how firm is that preference? I've always had mine with a a few cubes of ice, but am always worried that I'm wasting it by watering it down.
Drink it the way you enjoy it. Snobs may insist on having it neat but Pappy van Winkle himself liked his bourbon with ice and a twist. That said, personally I like barrel proof bourbon neat in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm not too keen on ice because it waters the whisk(e)y down too much towards the end so I want to drink it before that happens and I get the feeling of being rushed.

Also, tap water in the US is universally awful, so please use bottled water if you live in a country where they chlorinate the water.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Yes, definitely use bottled or filtered water. I even rinse my whiskey glasses with filtered water after washing them. Tap water has a more potent flavor/smell than a lot of people realize.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

spankmeister posted:

I'm not too keen on ice because it waters the whisk(e)y down too much towards the end so I want to drink it before that happens and I get the feeling of being rushed.

Also, tap water in the US is universally awful, so please use bottled water if you live in a country where they chlorinate the water.

You can slow down the dilution by using a larger ice cube, and treat this as a feature instead of a bug, as with some cask strength drams, you can get veeery different flavors as it gets diluted over time and the spirit opens up.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Enigma posted:

Conversely, you can buy Old Grandad 114 for $30 and dilute it to make like a bottle and a half of Basil Hayden, which runs like $50 for a bottle.

My dad only drinks JD Tennessee Honey on the rocks, so yeah don’t feel bad about ice.

Just buy OGD BiB at that point.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Anyway I drink whiskey neat 90% of the time but I make a few exceptions:

1) On a warm evening, a big glass of WT101 with plenty of ice is incredible.
2) On a cold evening, a hot toddy (warmed up whiskey of your choice, honey, and some lemon juice) is also incredible
3) If guests prefer cocktails or if I want to mix things up a bit, a rye old-fashioned is my go-to. I prefer a high proof MGP rye like Bonesnapper for this, and make it with plenty of twisted citrus peal (preferably valencia orange but lemon, grapefruit, or whatever else you have on hand probably works too), a couple drops of bitters, and a very small amount of simple syrup (which you can make at home with sugar). No ice.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Hot toddy is the best cold remedy there is.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Any good blended scotch in the $30 range other than JW Black and Monkey Shoulder? Looking for something with a bit of peat and smoke.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Rock My Socks! posted:

Any good blended scotch in the $30 range other than JW Black and Monkey Shoulder? Looking for something with a bit of peat and smoke.

I haven't tried it, but Famous Grouse Smoky Black is supposed to be good at that price point, I think.

acco
Apr 1, 2010

Rock My Socks! posted:

Té Bheag

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Rock My Socks! posted:

Laphroaig on sale?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mandalay posted:

Laphroaig on sale?

Is not blended.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Stultus Maximus posted:

Is not blended.

Better than blended, I'd think? I've never seen someone prefer blended over single malt.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mandalay posted:

Better than blended, I'd think? I've never seen someone prefer blended over single malt.

well, there are some not-very-good single malts and some fantastic blends, but they don’t tend to coexist at the same price point

also laphroaig is kind of a reach from someone asking for something comparable to jw or monkey shoulder

more seriously, I guess black grouse, pig’s nose, sheep dip, is black bottle still around?

Compass box does great blends, and asyla/oak cross etc. used to be rather cheap but it’s been a while.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mandalay posted:

Different purposes my dude.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Where are you that you find Laph at $30 and how is the nearby real estate market?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Enigma posted:

Where are you that you find Laph at $30 and how is the nearby real estate market?

I’m pretty sure Costco here has laphroiag 10 for $35. Median home price was 503 as of a couple months ago.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Huh, I'll have to check that out. I didn't even know Costco has liquor. Total wine wants $50+ for Laph 10.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Enigma posted:

Huh, I'll have to check that out. I didn't even know Costco has liquor. Total wine wants $50+ for Laph 10.

TW has it for $38 in the Bay Area. Glendronach 12 is also $38. We also get Glenfiddich 12 for $28. You will need to buy a whole lot of Scotch to make up for the real estate price differencial though!

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 27, 2019

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Challenge accepted.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
FYI, California goons, K&L Wines has Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (flagship, unfiltered, age-stated 12-yr bourbon from a quality producer) available in significant quantities @ $60 (MSRP or close). You can grab it in both LA and the Bay, and I think they ship within the state, too. It's a must-try if you like bourbon, or whiskey generally. Warning: 131.4 proof.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
It's also pretty regularly available at many of the liquor stores here in the Tigard/Beaverton area of Oregon. I know for sure I've seen Elijah Craig BP at Murray/Scholls Liquor, Progress Ridge, and Tigard Main Street within the last month or so.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

After reading this thread at work yesterday, I walked to the store across from my office that I knew had a great bourbon selection. Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, and Four Roses Small Batch Select because Four Roses is delicious.

Walked over to my girlfriend's car that I had borrowed that day, threw it the trunk, went on with my day.

Got home from work, excitedly popped open the trunk in anticipation of tasting some new, delicious brown liquor, and there was no bourbon. Also noticed that this trunk was significantly messier than the trunk I dropped the bourbon into earlier in the day.

TLDR someone at my office in a Dark Grey Chevy Bolt found two very nice bottles of bourbon in their trunk yesterday.

Just finished canvassing the parking lot at the office leaving notes that say "did you find bourbon in your trunk?" on the surprisingly large number of Chevy Bolts here.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

TLDR you stole each other's cars?
Do Chevy Bolts not have keys?

edit: oh, you put said bourbon into the wrong trunk to begin with. makes more sense

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

zmcnulty posted:

TLDR you stole each other's cars?
Do Chevy Bolts not have keys?

edit: oh, you put said bourbon into the wrong trunk to begin with. makes more sense

I mean, you still have to open the other guys trunk, which seems weird.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Recently tried Laphroaig for the first time and I'm not going to say I disliked it but it is not something I would drink straight. It's like drinking liquid smoke. A little mixed in with something else is fine but, yeah, think its going to be a while before I finish this.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Ben Nevis posted:

I mean, you still have to open the other guys trunk, which seems weird.
Yeah, their stupid car was unlocked.

Still down the two bottles.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Quiet Feet posted:

Recently tried Laphroaig for the first time and I'm not going to say I disliked it but it is not something I would drink straight. It's like drinking liquid smoke. A little mixed in with something else is fine but, yeah, think its going to be a while before I finish this.

I just picked up my first bottle recently. I don't tend to drink unmixed liquor (I've been making Penicillins), but I can at least say that I found it distinctive and compelling. I'm pretty sure it's the first single malt scotch I've tried, and it definitely increased my interest in trying others.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Some say peat is an acquired taste.

For me, Ardbeg 10 was the first scotch I ever tried and now I can't get enough peat.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Quiet Feet posted:

Yeah, that was my initial reaction too and to this day I don't like Laphroaig. Or any other peat-heavy scotches. This might be influenced by nerds who insist that the mark of quality of a whisky is the peatyness of it and won't shut up about nigh-undrinkable crap that tastes like an ash tray. Highland Park is about as peaty as I can enjoy (mind you, Highland Park I overall enjoy very much). Meanwhile, the scotches on the other end of the spectrum keep impressing me, Glenlivet in particular. No rule that says you have to like peat to like scotch.

Recently been getting more and more into Bourbon and I have to say, it's great stuff for just casually enjoying. It's not complex overall, but it goes down very nicely, and it's quickly becoming a mainstay for me. Grabbed a few suggestions from itt, and I have to say you folks don't steer people wrong.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
While I enjoy a peaty smoky scotch on rare occasion, I don't always want a drink that tastes like a ocean campfire that was doused with iodine. I enjoy Speyside scotches a lot more. Recently I've been drinking Balvenie 15 year single cask sherry finish and Deanston Virgin Oak, both of which are really good. I'm mostly a bourbon guy nowadays and George T Stagg 2018 is so well balanced. It's just a great bourbon. Given the price though, Old Forester 1920 is my regular drinker.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 17, 2019

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hot take, people who insist peat is the best measure of whisky are like people who insist hoppiness is the best measure of beer.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Nice piece of fish posted:

nerds who insist that the mark of quality of a whisky is the peatyness of it and won't shut up about nigh-undrinkable crap that tastes like an ash tray

I don't know about all that, but I just drink it because brains are weird and mine says ashtray is delicious.

Anyone who insists on that as a basis for quality is an assclown, though. Drink whatever your brain says tastes good.

Edit: I just asked my brain, and it said, "gently caress hops."

Enigma fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 17, 2019

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I did not enjoy scotch that much until I tried Lagavulin.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Anyone tried the Lock Stock and Barrel 18yr rye that's going around right now?

I picked up a bottle and I'm still unsure of how much I like it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Nice piece of fish posted:

Recently been getting more and more into Bourbon and I have to say, it's great stuff for just casually enjoying. It's not complex overall, but it goes down very nicely, and it's quickly becoming a mainstay for me. Grabbed a few suggestions from itt, and I have to say you folks don't steer people wrong.

My whisky adventure has been:
I hate whisky -> wow I like Japanese (i.e. gateway drug) -> irish -> scotch -> bourbon

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

While I enjoy a peaty smoky scotch on rare occasion, I don't always want a drink that tastes like a ocean campfire that was doused with iodine. I enjoy Speyside scotches a lot more. Recently I've been drinking Balvenie 15 year single cask sherry finish and Deanston Virgin Oak, both of which are really good. I'm mostly a bourbon guy nowadays and George T Stagg 2018 is so well balanced. It's just a great bourbon. Given the price though, Old Forester 1920 is my regular drinker.

Try the Deanston 9 Bordeaux Cask if you can find it. It's a hefty lad with extremely potent wine tannins.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Hot take, people who insist peat is the best measure of whisky are like people who insist hoppiness is the best measure of beer.

There's definitely a common archetype for the dude who wants the hoppiest beer, the peatiest Scotch, and the hottest hot sauce, and insists that these are all transcendent experiences.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Vox Nihili posted:

Try the Deanston 9 Bordeaux Cask if you can find it. It's a hefty lad with extremely potent wine tannins.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Also I know this isn't the beer thread but I'm a big fan of brown ales and I'm so sick of going into brew pubs and microbrewies and having 20 different types of ultra hoppy IPAs and zero brown ales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The good breweries near me are jumping off the IPA fad and going full into dark, barrel aged beers, and it's glorious.