Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell?! I have no clue wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14275/memory-makers-cut-nand-flash-production

The assholes.

Also where is the 2TB 970 Evo Plus? They said April back in January and there's only a few days left...

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

It'll be interesting to see if or when this halts the SSD price drops. Seems like decreases have slowed significantly, so I guess I should think about buying that 1TB NVMe drive I've been planning on..

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Isn't DDR5 supposed to be making its debut this year? I'd have thought that NAND production would be ramping up for that. Is my dream of being able to buy a 2TB SATA SSD for under £100 by the end of the year still realistic? I'm looking forwards to switching to using SSD's for plain storage drives.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

nand and ddr are different types of memory

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I ordered 1TB MX500 right after I saw that news. Been pondering about getting one for months.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

apropos man posted:

Isn't DDR5 supposed to be making its debut this year? I'd have thought that NAND production would be ramping up for that. Is my dream of being able to buy a 2TB SATA SSD for under £100 by the end of the year still realistic? I'm looking forwards to switching to using SSD's for plain storage drives.

If DDR5 is coming out this year it'll be the fastest JEDEC has ever ratified a standard. 12-18 months minimum.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If DDR5 is coming out this year it'll be the fastest JEDEC has ever ratified a standard. 12-18 months minimum.

There was some DDR5 discussion in another thread (AMD maybe?) and consensus seemed to be that 2021 was going to be the earliest we'd see it on shelves.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

It'll be interesting to see if or when this halts the SSD price drops. Seems like decreases have slowed significantly, so I guess I should think about buying that 1TB NVMe drive I've been planning on..

Yeah SSD prices haven't really fallen much below where they were at for black friday, DRAM is still going down though.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Got new nvme drive and copying now / and /home from the old nvme drive. That poo poo is fast. drat.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah SSD prices haven't really fallen much below where they were at for black friday, DRAM is still going down though.

They've dropped a bit since BF, but its really slowed down. I strongly suspect they'll keep dropping, however, since I just pulled the trigger on a 1TB EX920 for $117 (with "first time" google express coupon).

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DRAM has crashed about before new years, I had to get a new computer after another drop. It was just about half price and still sliding.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

oohhboy posted:

DRAM has crashed about before new years, I had to get a new computer after another drop. It was just about half price and still sliding.

32GB 3000C16 can be found as low as $145 with deals/promos. At these prices there little point going with just 16GB on a new rig anymore.

I was lucky enough to get 32GB 3200C16 for $230 right before the insane price spikes started in Q1 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Kingston put so much RGB on one of their drives that the LEDs make it overheat :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnST5rA64Oc

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Some local guy is selling 4 pieces of "MTFDDAK1T9TBY" for the equivalent of $150 a piece with a 2 year warranty. Looking it up it looks like a 2TB enterprise drive. Is it ok to buy or is there some catch to these drives that's not obvious?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Well, that's the cheapest I've seen a 2TB drive, but I'd have some reservations about buying an enterprise drive from "some local guy" and assuming the that the warranty will transfer. If you want a 2TB SATA drive this ADATA has a 3yr warranty for $181. Prices are still dropping so we may see those hit $150 over the summer (or prices may go up, who knows).

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/adata/...0YAygOG6TU7NGyw

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I'm not based in the US and the website through which it's being sold is local eBay-like, the person selling it has almost 2 thousand ratings with 99.3% positive. Not terribly worried he will want to scam me.

I was more wondering about that specific drive: if it's not some kind of low-quality drive and that's why it's being sold for so cheap.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I'd be skeptical on the locally-sold drives. Those Micron 2TB drives were the darlings of the SSD sales world a few months back. Best case scenario: he's selling them to upgrade to faster storage, worst case scenario: he's dumping *bad* drives locally.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd be skeptical on the locally-sold drives. Those Micron 2TB drives were the darlings of the SSD sales world a few months back. Best case scenario: he's selling them to upgrade to faster storage, worst case scenario: he's dumping *bad* drives locally.

I don't think those are the same drives.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

lordfrikk posted:

Some local guy is selling 4 pieces of "MTFDDAK1T9TBY" for the equivalent of $150 a piece with a 2 year warranty. Looking it up it looks like a 2TB enterprise drive. Is it ok to buy or is there some catch to these drives that's not obvious?

Assuming you’re getting new unopened packages and they’re not hot, no catches. At work we have used a bunch of these Micron 5100 ECO drives (both the 1.92 and 3.84TB versions) with no issues.

They are enterprise 2-bit MLC drives with extra overprovisioning, which is why they’re 1.92 rather than 2.00 or 2.048TB as you might see on a more consumer oriented MLC SSD.

E: as a point of comparison to more familiar consumer SSDs, I would say 5100 ECO is similar to Samsung’s 860 Pro series. Should be better at things like handling power loss gracefully or being run without TRIM enabled, slightly worse capacity.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 1, 2019

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Alright, thanks for the replies! From digging a bit further it seems like he has a legitimate shop in another city and gives a receipt with it and all. Lot of these are unopened, though he also sells other, used drives (for lower prices) so I'm thinking these are some company upgrade leftovers?

3peat
May 6, 2010

Would a Samsung PM981 2Tb be worth ~$250? (brand new, but fallen off a truck so no warranty)
From what I can tell it's the OEM version of the 970 evo, and in stores in my country the 970 2Tb is $500+

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

3peat posted:

Would a Samsung PM981 2Tb be worth ~$250? (brand new, but fallen off a truck so no warranty)
From what I can tell it's the OEM version of the 970 evo, and in stores in my country the 970 2Tb is $500+

There's very few 2TB TLC NVMe drives out there, so there's not a lot to compare it to, but all three of those are requirements then that seems like a decent deal. Gray market SSDs seem more than a bit sketchy to me though.

I installed my 1TB EX920 last night. Once I figured out how to clone my windows partition everything runs great. Now I have to figure out what to do with the pair of 840 Pros it's replacing. I know there are programs that cache stuff on spinning drives to the SSDs. Are those worth installing?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

3peat posted:

The potential problem with samsung OEM drives is that the NMVe drivers samsung provides on their website don't work with them. So have to use the generic MS NVMe driver. For some of them that's fine, and for some it kinda sucks.

The ones that suck are the drives targeted at enterprise storage, versus drives that are just OEM versions of their consumer drives intended for high-end laptops or whatever. The PM981 is one of the second category, it seems to have zero problems getting super fast performance numbers with the generic driver.

A PM981 is actually a better drive than a 970 Evo -- likely it was going to be the basis for a future 980 Evo but samsung isn't pushing that out with prices in the toilet. So if you are ok with no warranty it's a steal.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

3peat posted:

Would a Samsung PM981 2 TB be worth ~$250? (brand new, but fallen off a truck so no warranty)

It might be "worth it" based on what it otherwise goes for, but unless you need that specific combination (NVMe, 3D TLC) then it's not necessarily the best option depending on your use case. If you just need m.2 but SATA is fine, I see the 2 TB WD Blue is down to $225 on Newegg. The Intel 660p 2 TB, in contrast, is NVMe but 3D QLC and has been $200 or lower recently.

You probably won't burn out the 660p's QLC, and depending on your use as above, you may not even need any performance differential between the 981's TLC and either the Blue SATA or the 660p's QLC, so I'd go with the cheapest option for the application. The ~$50 difference between the 660p and the PM981 isn't *huge* in the realm of PC components, but it's a 25% price premium I wouldn't just throw away. The lack of warranty and software support is another factor to consider (and certainly so if you're paying more!)

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I installed my 1TB EX920 last night. Once I figured out how to clone my windows partition everything runs great. Now I have to figure out what to do with the pair of 840 Pros it's replacing. I know there are programs that cache stuff on spinning drives to the SSDs. Are those worth installing?

I use PrimoCache and I liked it enough to pay for some licenses. It does provide a performance advantage; in my case, I did an unscientific experiment to see how it would impact a game's load times from a really old and slow PATA HDD, and it absolutely brought performance in line with how the game normally runs off a separate SSD. The value lies in that the software does the caching automatically and I don't have to manually move entire game directories between storage media.

I like how it's flexible enough that it lets you:
- choose read or write caching, or both
- use both DRAM and SS storage to cache (and you can set up multiple tiers)
- set up multiple cache jobs, and have one volume cache multiple other volumes, for example

Your mileage may vary, but I'd say using those SSDs to read-cache an HDD would make the most sense if the HDD has something like games on it. A write cache would make sense for an application that uses scratch/temporary space (maybe video/photo editing?)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BobHoward posted:

Micron 5100 ECO drives

They are enterprise 2-bit MLC drives

Hey it turns out I misspoke on this, 5100 ECO is a TLC product line. Still enterprise with extra overprovision though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MicroCenter just reduced the price of their Inland 1 TB Premium M.2 NVMe SSD down to $104.99.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/600422/1tb-ssd-3d-nand-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive

Can't wait until it cracks $99..

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

MicroCenter just reduced the price of their Inland 1 TB Premium M.2 NVMe SSD down to $104.99.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/600422/1tb-ssd-3d-nand-m2-2280-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive

Can't wait until it cracks $99..

It *is* $99 before tax if you factor in this B&M coupon (in-store only): https://instore.thread.co/retailmen...WY5cdf4567bd559

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Huh, thought that expired, guess they renewed it. Welp, at least it's good for another two weeks.

However, there's pretty limited stock, I only see it in stock at 12 of the MicroCenters nationally; of those only one is near me but it's the one located in the most podunk part of New Jersey. Ugh.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Huh, thought that expired, guess they renewed it. Welp, at least it's good for another two weeks.

However, there's pretty limited stock, I only see it in stock at 12 of the MicroCenters nationally; of those only one is near me but it's the one located in the most podunk part of New Jersey. Ugh.

They've been renewing it every month for a while now, you just need to Google "Micro Center RetailMeNot" and it's usually the first result.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think those Inland drives go in and out of stock all the time at my local micro center. the nice thing is that, unless you need it now now now, you can just wait until a new shipment comes in and do their order-ahead feature. it's really slick

e2: i am giggling that new jerseyans are debating whether some area is "podunk", when they live in the only US state that has (effectively) a statewide public transit system

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 18, 2019

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Binary Badger posted:

Paterson is not podunk :confused:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I've got two 240GB NVMe drives in the same rig. One is the Corsair Force MP510 and the other is the MyDigitalSSD BPXP.

Both drives have the Phison E12 controller and both come out as exactly the same size:

code:
[root@stib ~]# smartctl -i /dev/nvme0n1
smartctl 7.0 2019-03-31 r4903 [x86_64-linux-5.0.16-300.fc30.x86_64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-18, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, [url]www.smartmontools.org[/url]

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Number:                       Force MP510
Serial Number:                      191482050001276900B0
Firmware Version:                   ECFM12.2
PCI Vendor/Subsystem ID:            0x1987
IEEE OUI Identifier:                0x6479a7
Total NVM Capacity:                 240,057,409,536 [240 GB]
Unallocated NVM Capacity:           0
Controller ID:                      1
Number of Namespaces:               1
Namespace 1 Size/Capacity:          240,057,409,536 [240 GB]
Namespace 1 Formatted LBA Size:     512
Namespace 1 IEEE EUI-64:            6479a7 1c93064230
Local Time is:                      Sat May 18 12:28:07 2019 BST

[root@stib ~]# smartctl -i /dev/nvme1n1
smartctl 7.0 2019-03-31 r4903 [x86_64-linux-5.0.16-300.fc30.x86_64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-18, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, [url]www.smartmontools.org[/url]

Model Number:                       BPXP
Serial Number:                      DDC307890C4C00024954
Firmware Version:                   ECFM11.0
Namespace 1 IEEE EUI-64:            6479a7 0fc3083534
Local Time is:                      Sat May 18 12:28:11 2019 BST

[root@stib ~]#
What are my chances of upgrading the second one (or both), so that they are on the same firmware?

I'm guessing that they have exactly the same internals, since the specs look so similar. I bought them about 2 months apart. Would I be able to download firmware from MyDigitalSSD website and apply it to both drives? I'm guessing that these drives come off the same production lines and are just branded differently, same as the various other brands that are out there.

Gotta go out now, but I will check back later. Cheers..

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

I found this thread, with a tool from manufacturer CFD that flashes a Phison E12 drive. It's quoted on page 19, post #728

https://hardforum.com/threads/hotter-than-hell-inland-1tb-nvme-premium-105-microcenter-samsung-970-pro-killer.1978390/page-19

I booted into Windows, downloaded and ran it on my BPXP drive, according to that post. It downloaded the latest file from CFD and flashed my BPXP drive in a few seconds and told me to turn off the PC.

After a reboot into Linux I now have both drives on the same firmware, since it looks like Corsair was already on the latest:

code:
[root@stib ~]# smartctl -i /dev/nvme0n1

Model Number:                       Force MP510
Serial Number:                      191482050001276900B0
Namespace 1 IEEE EUI-64:            6479a7 1c93064230
Local Time is:                      Sat May 18 18:27:56 2019 BST

[root@stib ~]# smartctl -i /dev/nvme1n1

Model Number:                       BPXP
Serial Number:                      DDC307890C4C00024954
Namespace 1 IEEE EUI-64:            6479a7 0fc3083534
Local Time is:                      Sat May 18 18:27:59 2019 BST

[root@stib ~]# 

I think it's retained the data, too. I had an LVM partition on each, which I'm gonna destroy anyway, but the LVM is still there. Nice!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So 12.2 *isn't* destructive?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

My LVM partition was still there. I had one spanning each drive and I only updated the BPXP.

Unfortunately, I didn't bother mounting the LVM as I was intending to destroy it and create a new one anyway. It seemed to be in place.

e: I'm assuming that if it was a destructive firmware update, destroying the data on the drive, then it would have also destroyed the partition table, LVM headers and everything.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So 12.2 *isn't* destructive?

The 12.1 firmware update was destructive, but when I flashed over 12.1 with that 12.2 update myself on my BPX Pro, the partition and its data seemed to still be intact. I still reimaged the drive anyway because I had made a backup image before the firmware update so I figured I might as well just to be double-sure. But there didn't seem to be anything missing after the update.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you look at that same HardForums thread you'll see people stating that thermal issues they had with 12.1 went away with 12.2.

That's probably why people ordering these Phison E12 based SSDs are getting 12.2 baked in at purchase.. well, I can say that for Sabrent, Inland, and Silicon Power..

Not a bad deal, 1 TB for $99 if you go get Micro Center's version!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

:toot:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-hints-at-a-pcie-4-based-ssd-that-can-do-5000-mbs.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

40gbps is crazy. Enough in raid 0 would yield ram like read speeds.