Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually think you may not be a regular here. This is not my only recent post in the Intel thread and it's not my only recent post in this read either.

I think you need to chill with the personal posting here. You disagree with me, I get it, gonna have to deal with it.

Fair, you’re right. What was your answer to my last question though? I am trying to promote a discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yes. I bought a thinkpad with a FX 880M and did a bunch of CUDA development work on it. It was also an actual good gaming processor, I could play TF2 on it in the post-phenom era when AMD was struggling with the architecture that shall not be named.

So, in comparison, are we talking about AMD where they are still hawking GCN 1.0 in 2019? Actual first-gen GCN garbage that doesn't even support FreeSync?

(and that's not even their mobile lineup, that's desktop, lol)

It's cute how instead of admitting that you're talking out of your rear end, you reflexively post something unrelated and hope no one notices

660m could be a Fermi or Kepler core, 860m could be Kepler or Maxwell and I'm pretty sure there was one 9XXm model that could be one of Fermi, Kepler or Maxwell. That's just off the top of my head and ignoring the DDR3 minefield.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I answered your question? I did buy a mobile chipset before Pascal. Let's talk FX 880M. What's the big deal?

Arzachel posted:

Hahaha, have you ever bought a laptop with dedicated graphics before Pascal

Yeah, mobile and low-end chipsets have always been a minefield. That's not an NVIDIA thing though. AMD does that to this day. DDR3 versions of the DDR5 version of the GCN 1.0 card. That's a thing that AMD brands as a 500 series card.

It's a DDR3 version of a 7700 HD. It doesn't even have FreeSync! How is that a 500 series card?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:08 on May 17, 2019

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I imagine you're fun to play football against, what with all the goal post moving.

You're, once again, coming into a SHSC thread trying to dump sick burns on AMD (because you spent too much time on r/AMD again or what do I know, but it's apparently pathological) and can't handle that you're being called out for claiming Nvidia is honest about what you buy, which has not been true for a while. So now you're trying whataboutism by saying their misleading labeling of products is not as bad as AMD's :hurr:

E: Also, BIOS-unlocking etc. is not "lootboxing", you are ridiculous. Would you feel better if they had put hard locks on those products?

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 17, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the post I responded to was generic complaints about the 970 that were never actually explicated. just "970 bad".

Let's just cut to the chase. The 970 does actually have 4 GB. If you have another complaint about the 970, please proceed. It's a good card, that kept up with the 290's supposed "finewine", and continues to do so (on average) even in 1440p, per GN Jesus's latest tests, even in titles and resolutions for which it is completely unsuited.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 17, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol gently caress off paul

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Truga posted:

lol gently caress off paul

3peat
May 6, 2010

orcane posted:

You're, once again, coming into a SHSC thread trying to dump sick burns on AMD (because you spent too much time on r/AMD again or what do I know, but it's apparently pathological)

IIRC he got rejected for an AMD job and held a grudge ever since

Khorne
May 1, 2002

orcane posted:

E: Also, BIOS-unlocking etc. is not "lootboxing", you are ridiculous. Would you feel better if they had put hard locks on those products?
The 8c/16t 1600 thing also only happened with one batch near release, and I think there are only 2 known people who own them.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Khorne posted:

The 8c/16t 1600 thing also only happened with one batch near release, and I think there are only 2 known people who own them.

So you're saying there's a chance

Khorne
May 1, 2002

jisforjosh posted:

So you're saying there's a chance
Sure, but the point is no one bought a 1600 hoping for an 8c. There's no lottery there.

I took Paul's comment about lootboxing as lighthearted. At least with regard to the Ryzen CPUs. There have certainly been some really shady swaps by most of the big hardware companies. Especially in lower end nvidia products.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 17, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Please stop making this CPU thread about GPUs? We have the GPU thread about that.

I share the incredibly negative viewpoint toward ex-ATI and didn’t want AMD to buy them, but this is not the place.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
AMD should bake in some magic synergies if you use both their CPUs and GPUs, if you want to take the loot box metaphor to new levels

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting pretty reliable word now that Epyc2 is releasing in october. That's q4 right? :rip:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

AMD counts September as Q3, they'll probably sneak it in.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like the active fan on the chipset is def going to be A Thing for x570:

https://videocardz.com/80714/msi-mpg-x570-series-leaked-gaming-pro-carbon-gaming-plus

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

AMD counts September as Q3, they'll probably sneak it in.

Ah yeah, that makes sense, thanks.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cygni posted:

Looks like the active fan on the chipset is def going to be A Thing for x570:

https://videocardz.com/80714/msi-mpg-x570-series-leaked-gaming-pro-carbon-gaming-plus

Rumours say this is mandated by AMD but it still seems hella stupid.

eames
May 9, 2009

i like how fins are still the devil but an active fan on a flat piece of aluminum with a plastic cover is a-ok.

They could put the stock ATI Rage 128 passive cooler on there and it'd probably do a better job in your average enthusiast system with a casefan.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Really loving sucks that we're back to loving tiny piece of poo poo fans on motherboards again. What motherboard to buy is going to be pretty much be decided by which one is easiest to strip to a passive cooler.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

K8.0 posted:

Really loving sucks that we're back to loving tiny piece of poo poo fans on motherboards again. What motherboard to buy is going to be pretty much be decided by which one is easiest to strip to a passive cooler.
The fan will be passive unless you're really hammering PCIE4. That's the rumor.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Someone is gonna make bank with a aftermarket passive one that's just a pair of heatpipes bent into a L and a bunch of fins on one end, so you can snake it under the GPU slot and out by the ram area.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Someone is gonna make bank with a aftermarket passive one that's just a pair of heatpipes bent into a L and a bunch of fins on one end, so you can snake it under the GPU slot and out by the ram area.
Thermalright used to make a bunch of these: http://thermalright.com/product-category/archive/heatsink-archive/

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Excuse me but you all are tampering with the joy of having another component to route liquid coolant to.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I might just wait and see if any X470 or B450 boards come out that are "Ryzen 3000 Ready" meaning no bios update needed and get one of those boards so I don't have to buy a more expensive X570 board that has a loud and annoying chipset fan.

Edit: What AMD does at Computex is going to determine whether I wait for Zen 2 this fall/winter or just build a 2600X or 2700X rig late spring/early summer.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 17, 2019

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Khorne posted:

The fan will be passive unless you're really hammering PCIE4. That's the rumor.

That fan will be passive because I will disable it by any means necessary. I'm not going back to fans on my motherboard.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Zen3 gonna bring back oil submerged PCs, eh?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ItBreathes posted:

Zen3 gonna bring back oil submerged PCs, eh?

lol if you stopped submerging your PC in oil

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

http://thermalright.com/product/axp-140-rt/

This one *seems* like it would perform incredibly well in a small form factor build. I'm sad they stopped making it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So if there will not be a Zen2 version of threadripper, all the socket TR4 mobos become orphan products? That kinda sucks for the people who are probably the biggest r/AMD fans.

eames posted:

i like how fins are still the devil but an active fan on a flat piece of aluminum with a plastic cover is a-ok.

They could put the stock ATI Rage 128 passive cooler on there and it'd probably do a better job in your average enthusiast system with a casefan.

For transient loads the big dumb chunk of metal has the advantage of thermal mass. I think that's one reason mobo makers have switched to those, besides the aesthetic design thing. Even in a lovely setup with bad airflow they handle the average user scenarios pretty well. For the OCers using watercooling the current style of mosfet heatsinks are worse, but those guys are expected to know their cooling needs and make suitable fixes.

Fins don't do much good if you have no / bad airflow. Think about what happens if the user has SLI'd videocards, a pair of blower-type coolers would not produce extra air movement on the chipset area and would block the case airflow from reaching a finny heatsink. There's really not much room for more. I think they've gone with the awful little mobo fan to cope with the bad cases and for people with good airflow and single video cards it will never be used.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Would be uncool to pull that halo product without sufficient warning ahead. There will probably be another Threadripper. It probably got folded under the generic Ryzen umbrella in the presentation to not take up unnecessary space in the presentation. I mean, the proper name is Ryzen Threadripper, not just Threadripper.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Please, my father’s name is Threadripper!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Would be uncool to pull that halo product without sufficient warning ahead. There will probably be another Threadripper. It probably got folded under the generic Ryzen umbrella in the presentation to not take up unnecessary space in the presentation. I mean, the proper name is Ryzen Threadripper, not just Threadripper.

If they really launch 16 core consumer parts with Ryzen 3000 there's not a whole lot of room left for Threadripper that couldn't be covered with the highest tier of Ryzen or a lower tier Epyc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
High PCIe lane count and quad memory channels.

I mean, there are 8 core Threadripper too, despite the 1800X and 2700X, and the reason for their existence was the above, too. --edit: Also, the EPYC don't clock that high in stock config. And going out of your way overclocking these, does that even work?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Biostar at least will support Ryzen 3000 even on A320 boards.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Statutory Ape posted:

lol if you stopped submerging your PC in oil

Finally, the inspiration to make my millions: oil submerged PC cases with Galileo thermometers for passive temperature monitoring.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I think we should go back to this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

my bridges have fans and i need salt for these chips

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I’ll be interested to see what vendors do for mini itx boards, they don’t exactly have room for a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

B-Mac posted:

I’ll be interested to see what vendors do for mini itx boards, they don’t exactly have room for a fan.

If the fan really is just there to accommodate heavy PCI-E pressure then it might not be needed on ITX, where most of the platforms lanes aren't usable.