Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Throwing my vote on the pile for Solid Explorer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Speed software Explorer is free and fine as far as I'm concerned.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I've used https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.asus.filemanager for like forever and it's been great!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Any alternatives to Mint for budgeting? I'd rather not use an Intuit product if I can

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Farecoal posted:

Any alternatives to Mint for budgeting? I'd rather not use an Intuit product if I can

YNAB?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Strongly recommend.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
B-but, it costs money!!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
YNAB is great, but it's quite a bit different than Mint. YNAB is hands-on budget management, Mint is more like account/spending overview.

I've seen a lot of people say they use Personal Capital as a Mint alternative, but I've never tried it myself. Maybe give that a look?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Farecoal posted:

B-but, it costs money!!

Maybe I'm the weird one, but I can't imagine being so bad at money that spending $84/year to track where it all goes could possibly be a good deal.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
Is it possible that the apps don't like the insecure public WiFi?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I know some hotels offer "free" wifi that restricts what sites you can reach (and thus what apps work) unless you pay for it. I would double check your hotel wifi to see if this is what's going on.

It's a really lovely thing to do.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Am I going crazy or did you guys somehow jump to the wrong thread?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you're going crazy it's contagious over the internet.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yeah, those seem like replies to the other Android thread.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Tamba posted:

Yeah, those seem like replies to the other Android thread.

Huh, that's weird. I blame Awful app :getout:

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
What are some recommended apps to use my S10e in the car?

I'd like to use it for navigation, taking and receiving phone calls, and listening to music/podcasts/audiobooks, ...

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Android Auto is pretty good. Has integrations for all that stuff. Works with Maps, Waze, makes calls, and I have Spotify, Play Music, PocketCasts, and PowerAmp available in it. I just have my phone in a CD slot-mounted clip.

You know, until Google kills it in favor of Assistant's new auto mode or whatever at some point in the next year.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Echophonic posted:

Android Auto

You know, until Google kills it in favor of Assistant's new auto mode or whatever at some point in the next year.

I know this is what they're going to do, but hopefully the in car integration stuff holds it off. Android auto's UI is way better than the default.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
For some reason Android Auto's been iffy for me as of late - it's pulled incorrect album artwork from Google Play Music for ages, and sometimes it'll absolutely refuse to answer to OK Google until the app is restarted.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wacky Delly posted:

I know this is what they're going to do, but hopefully the in car integration stuff holds it off. Android auto's UI is way better than the default.

They're just getting rid of the AA app for your phone. Android Auto for your head unit will remain, and is in fact getting a pretty big upgrade this summer.

spincube posted:

For some reason Android Auto's been iffy for me as of late - it's pulled incorrect album artwork from Google Play Music for ages, and sometimes it'll absolutely refuse to answer to OK Google until the app is restarted.

The incorrect album art is some sort of deeper underlying problem than just Play Music. I moved off of Play Music onto my own Plex server, and the same bug happens while using Plex through AA also. They definitely messed something up with the way it caches album art or something like that awhile ago and never fixed it.

It'll happen across apps also. For example, if I recently listened to a station using TuneIn it'll sometimes take the art from a TuneIn station while listening to a song through Plex :psyduck:

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 15, 2019

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

What is the podcast app of choice? I've been using Google Podcasts, but it doesn't seem to update with new episodes super consistently.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They're just getting rid of the AA app for your phone. Android Auto for your head unit will remain, and is in fact getting a pretty big upgrade this summer.

I actually really like Android Auto in my car's head unit. I hope Google doesn't gently caress it up! (I'm sure they will)

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

What is the podcast app of choice? I've been using Google Podcasts, but it doesn't seem to update with new episodes super consistently.

I still love PocketCasts although with Google Podcasts getting a web player that would mitigate the draw for me. Not that I'd trust Google to stick with it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Branch Nvidian posted:

Pocketcasts for style and ease-of-use, Beyondpod for flexibility / extra features.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've really liked Podkicker. Super simple to use.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I've been using pocket casts forever. The recent redesign took some getting used to but honestly I've never had a single problem with it in years.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I moved from Beyondpod (which I'd been using for many years) to Pocketcasts two months ago due to it becoming steadily more buggy with each update. So far I've not missed any of the extra features in Beyondpod as most of the smart playlist stuff I used could be replicated by sending things to the top or bottom of the up next queue, and the interface is miles better.

Lker
Oct 26, 2010
I've used Beyondpod, Pocket Casts, the Google podcast app, and finally Podcast Addict. The latter is what I'm sticking with at the moment even if it isn't the most clean looking app, it just has all the features I've wanted. It also pulls all the episodes from some old RSS feeds that other apps balked at.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I still love PocketCasts although with Google Podcasts getting a web player that would mitigate the draw for me. Not that I'd trust Google to stick with it.

Pocket Casts actually has a web player too. I got bored at work and didn't want to drain my phone battery so I just checked about 10 minutes ago. Turns out my computer speakers here don't actually DO anything, so I can't say if there's any weird ads or anything in the web player, but I wouldn't think so.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soysaucebeast posted:

Pocket Casts actually has a web player too. I got bored at work and didn't want to drain my phone battery so I just checked about 10 minutes ago. Turns out my computer speakers here don't actually DO anything, so I can't say if there's any weird ads or anything in the web player, but I wouldn't think so.

I know Pocket Casts has a web player, that's why I mentioned it. Google's is free while PC's is $10 though. I use the PC web player as much as the app so for me it's a must-have but I understand if it isn't for some.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I know Pocket Casts has a web player, that's why I mentioned it. Google's is free while PC's is $10 though. I use the PC web player as much as the app so for me it's a must-have but I understand if it isn't for some.

Oh my mistake. It wasn't showing a fee for me, but I guess I must have bought a pocket casts upgrade or something earlier in the app that unlocked it. I honestly just get money from the Google surveys and go crazy with app upgrades sometimes so it wouldn't surprise me.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I've been using Mint for years now to track my spending and what not. They recently released an update that absolutely loving ruins the app, in my opinion. What's a good alternative? I've tried Quicken and Wallet. Quicken is alright, but I don't care for it nearly as much as Mint. And Wallet is alright, but it has a couple of bugs that prevent it from being the right choice for me (it can't accurately calculate my monthly spending because it thinks my within-bank balance transfers are spending transactions, and no matter how many times I tell it that it's just a balance transfer, it forgets. I've been going back and forth with support about it).

Anyway -- what's a good app along these same lines? Automatic account connection and transaction downloading is a must.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Is there a reputable app for extracting .7z archives?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

Haven't tried any myself, but any of the reputable looking apps you get by searching for "7zip" in the play store should do.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sir Lemming posted:

I think solidexplorer can do this.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think solidexplorer can do this.

I was going to suggest that until I saw it had problems with 7z LZMA2 archives (at least as of the end of last year?)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Neat, my Keep widget just updated to dark mode!

And thanks for the suggestions, Solid looks good but it does seem to be having a problem. I can't guarantee that it isn't the 7z file causing the problem though.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a calender app that offers the following:

-support for Google Calendar
-dark mode
-a more compact widget than Google Calendar

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a calender app that offers the following:

-support for Google Calendar
-dark mode
-a more compact widget than Google Calendar

Not sure about the widget options, but I've been using aCalendar for years and am super pleased with it. Has dark mode and syncs with any/all of your Google calendars.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.withouthat.acalendar&hl=en_US

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

BisterdDave posted:

Moon+ Reader is really good.

Ok - getting this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a way I can set my phone to automatically switch to vibrate either based on time of day or location? I want my phone to be on vibrate while at work and right now I'm using Llama to do that which is very old and maybe more battery intensive than more modern alternatives, if there are such things.

lowcrabdiet posted:

Not sure about the widget options, but I've been using aCalendar for years and am super pleased with it. Has dark mode and syncs with any/all of your Google calendars.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.withouthat.acalendar&hl=en_US

This looks good but does it not support reminders set in Google Calendar? Not seeing the option for that and it's kinda crucial for me.