Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cool, will give that a shot. Brewers Friend gives it the following info with the updated recipe:

Batch Size: 4 liters
Boil Size: 7 liters
Est. OG: 1.055
Est. FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.42%
IBU: 41
SRM: 10

0.93 kg Maris Otter
0.07 kg Warminster Crystal Medium (assuming 60°L)

16 g EKG @ 60
8 g EKG @ 5
Irish Moss @ 5

S-04/one of the liquid yeasts tbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That works, seeing as you are buying a kilo at the time it might be easier to use 1 kg of the Maris Otter and throw in 75 grams of the crystal. The crystal should keep pretty long btw, even pre-ground, so don't feel bad about having it around for other recipes.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

thotsky posted:

That works, seeing as you are buying a kilo at the time it might be easier to use 1 kg of the Maris Otter and throw in 75 grams of the crystal.

I'm new to homebrewing and I just want to take a second to acknowledge that this sentence, completely out of context, sounds like some drugchat from SVU or some poo poo.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
"The kids are mixin it up in repurposed coolers. Callin it 'Homebrew'. They're gettin drunk on it."

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
These ales are wild my man

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Some of these freaks call themselves "funkmeisters". Intentionally gently caress it up, infect it on purpose. Says they get weirdass drinks they call sours.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Drone posted:

0.07 kg Warminster Crystal Medium (assuming 60°L)

Good assumption. It’s typically listed as 55L, and I like it very much in my ESB recipe. It’s what I use at 7%.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Has anyone ever used seed starting heat mats for raising fermentation temp?

I'm using my seed starting heating mats for raising fermentation temps. It sits at about 78, so I don't think it will do a super job, but it can't be that bad either. I have a saison that I'm open fermenting that could use a bit more heat and now that my radiators aren't running I don't have another heat source until it gets hot outside.

E: Also tasted my spontaneous for the first time. It's delicious, a little peppery, slightly sour, and not a lot of farmhouse/brett flavor profile, but just a little. I'd expect if I get more of that for it to take longer than 6 months still. I'll be brewing a top up batch pretty soon, 60/40 pils/wheat again.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 17, 2019

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I have a small fridge that I use as a fermentation setup, with lizard heating wire as my heat source. The highest I've gone with trying around 78 I want to say. Works pretty well but for a larger air volume it may not work as great.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, I just taped it to the bucket. It’s keeping it warmer, but no where near 78. Which is fine, and I may build a box at some point, but no time for a box building project right now.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I got lazy and just bought a fermenter with an officially supported heating setup. It was only a little more expensive than DIY setups and looked a lot nicer and doesn't require a bunch of screwing around.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

calandryll posted:

I have a small fridge that I use as a fermentation setup, with lizard heating wire as my heat source. The highest I've gone with trying around 78 I want to say. Works pretty well but for a larger air volume it may not work as great.

I have the same setup but in a fairly large chest freezer and it was able to get up to 90*F for a kviek I did.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Kegged my first attempt at a sour. After about a week of cold crashing it's tasting pretty good not carbed. Can't wait to see what it's like once it's carbonated.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I am entertaining a fantasy that I will take a road trip to the PNW late this summer - August / September. For the homebrewing portion of the trip, I would be interested in buying good local juice to make cider and perry, and also a fair whack of hops, just because why not?

Any suggestions for farm stands, hop yards, or other places to visit?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I’m not sure when your trip is, but the Fresh Hop festival in Yakima is pretty awesome. Late August they’re just starting the harvest, but there are a ton of breweries in the valley to check out. I can make a list later if you’re going that way.

Otherwise, there’s good beer from Tillamook to east of Mt Hood where Wyeast is located in Oregon. Not to mention Bend which is full of awesome beer. And you’ll not be at a loss for scenery.

And I recently learned that one of my favorite wild/mixed fermentation breweries from Massachusetts is closing (Enlightenment brewing), and they’re opening a new place all the way in Bellingham. That might be further north than you’re wanting to go, but there’s good beer up there. There’s a few toward Chelan that are pretty good too.

And that’s without talking about hops. The farms may or may not be doing tours, but you could call around and see if they are. They pretty much all have their own drying facilities, and the hops get to the packaging facilities in bales which are then kept as cold as possible so that they don’t start fires. Yakima Chief is in Yakima, and Hopsteiner is close, but they don’t do home brew scale I think.

You pretty much have no end of choices in Portland and Seattle too of course, but prior to Labor Day the hotels in Seattle are more expensive from the cruise line vacationers.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Is anyone doing Homebrew Con this year? First time I'm going and of course course most of the sessions I want to see are at the same time.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Anyone have a yeast recomendation for making strawberry wine?

I was thinking of using EC-1118 (champagne yeast) but upon reflection I am not so sure... It's a bit harsh on flavor removal after all.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I like Red Star Premier Blanc in fruit wines. It's not particularly expressive itself, so it works good for me.

I've wanted to try QA23 or RHST from Lallemand, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I'll try some this year. Morewine.com has them both.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Personally I like 71B Narbonne for fruit wines and sweeter wines. Not that I've really done much wine stuff.

Completely unrelated here's a nice picture of my Italian/German Pilsner that I'm real proud of. It's 99% Chateau Pils, 1% Caramunich 3, whirlpool and dry hopped with Hallertau Mittelfruh and Perle, fermented in my basement (16-19C) with W34/70.

Wish I had more than a single keg of this, it's going fast.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Thunder Moose posted:

Anyone have a yeast recomendation for making strawberry wine?

I was thinking of using EC-1118 (champagne yeast) but upon reflection I am not so sure... It's a bit harsh on flavor removal after all.
What recipe are you planning to use for the strawberry wine, by the way? I'm planning to do my own using local strawberries once they're ripe.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

ReaperUnreal posted:

Personally I like 71B Narbonne for fruit wines and sweeter wines. Not that I've really done much wine stuff.

Completely unrelated here's a nice picture of my Italian/German Pilsner that I'm real proud of. It's 99% Chateau Pils, 1% Caramunich 3, whirlpool and dry hopped with Hallertau Mittelfruh and Perle, fermented in my basement (16-19C) with W34/70.

That's a really clean beer, any fining in the keg or whirlfloc/irish moss?

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

calandryll posted:

That's a really clean beer, any fining in the keg or whirlfloc/irish moss?

Irish moss in the boil, but also 1 month of lagering followed by gelatin in the keg. None of my vegan friends live around here anymore so I wanted to try it out.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ReaperUnreal posted:

Have a more detailed recipe? Been craving doing a small batch for some bbq. I lost all my recipes years ago to a website migration o didn't act on, need to start back up from scratch.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

ReaperUnreal posted:

Irish moss in the boil, but also 1 month of lagering followed by gelatin in the keg. None of my vegan friends live around here anymore so I wanted to try it out.

I should try some gelatin to clear up a few of my beers. Some just have that chill haze but then again it doesn't affect the taste so I don't care that much.

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King

Nephzinho posted:

Have a more detailed recipe? Been craving doing a small batch for some bbq. I lost all my recipes years ago to a website migration o didn't act on, need to start back up from scratch.

Sure! Here's the full recipe for a 5 gallon batch:
Malt
98.6% Chateau Pils
1.4% Caramunich Type 3

Mash
Mash at 151F for 60 minutes
Target 5.2 Mash pH
Target 5.4 Sparge Water pH

Boil
Boil 60 minutes (I didn't bother with 90)
0.4oz Magnum @60
0.4oz Perle @45
Irish Moss @10
1oz Hallertau Mittelfruh @Flameout
0.25oz Perle @Flameout

Ferment with 2 packs of W34/70 (I'm lazy) at 16-19C for 2 weeks or so then I lagered for a month in my kegerator.

Dry Hops
0.4oz of Hallertau Mittelfruh right when primary is winding down (7-10 day in)
0.8oz of Hallertau Mittelfruh + 0.4oz of Perle for 3 days right before serving

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ReaperUnreal posted:

Sure! Here's the full recipe for a 5 gallon batch:
Malt
98.6% Chateau Pils
1.4% Caramunich Type 3

Mash
Mash at 151F for 60 minutes
Target 5.2 Mash pH
Target 5.4 Sparge Water pH

Boil
Boil 60 minutes (I didn't bother with 90)
0.4oz Magnum @60
0.4oz Perle @45
Irish Moss @10
1oz Hallertau Mittelfruh @Flameout
0.25oz Perle @Flameout

Ferment with 2 packs of W34/70 (I'm lazy) at 16-19C for 2 weeks or so then I lagered for a month in my kegerator.

Dry Hops
0.4oz of Hallertau Mittelfruh right when primary is winding down (7-10 day in)
0.8oz of Hallertau Mittelfruh + 0.4oz of Perle for 3 days right before serving

Danke. Going to try to do a 2 gallon batch and do some very very weird things to try to adjust for having like a tenth of the space and equipment I had when I had my 4 tap kegerator setup. Has anyone tried doing small scale all grain brewing with a sous vide before? Because I'm going to try it (that is putting a large copper pot with water + grains into a very large bucket with a sous vide keeping temp without getting destroyed by sugar in the motor) and see if its a complete disaster. I used to do biweekly 5 gallon batches and its the biggest thing i miss about living in the suburbs.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I don't see why it shouldn't work. My setup is basically a diy sous vide, which is an electric biab. I would see about getting a grain bag and keeping it away from the wand and as l don't have any issues with my exposed electric elements.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Tibalt posted:

What recipe are you planning to use for the strawberry wine, by the way? I'm planning to do my own using local strawberries once they're ripe.

https://www.homebrewit.com/two-strawberry-wine-recipes

This thingamajig! (first one)

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I may attempt to brew a "berliner"-esque beer this weekend since its supposed to rain a bunch in Chicago.
Thinking 60% wheat, 40% pilsner, then just co-pitching omega's lacto and kveik then just keeping it somewhat warm. I feel too lazy to do a true kettle sour so we'll see what happens with the co-pitch.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It's nearly strawberry season here too, and as much as I definitely want to make that, I think I'll wait until next year. It's probably a strawberry jam year and we go to a pick-your-own, so that's already a few flats that we'll be filling.

If you're using the Hothead kveik (Stranda) from Omega, it'll work great when you co-pitch. Might get super sour, but it might not. I didn't keep it hot enough the first time and the lacto went very sour before the yeast took over. Nice fruity flavors. I haven't used Voss or Hornindal for it, but I haven't seen reports of them having an issue with co-fermenting with lacto. E: At least it's supposed to be warm here with all the rain this weekend. My fuggles are already taller than I am.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Jo3sh posted:

Cool, thanks for the pointers on those e-brewing systems, guys. The BrewZilla rig looks a lot like what I was hoping for.

If your still in the market, check out anvil's new system. It can be converted to 240v and had an
insulated double wall. Seems like the best all in one electric right now, at least bang for buck.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I talked a little earlier about building a collar for my keezer. Well, I did it, figured I'd share some pics and thoughts with the thread about it. imgur gallery here.

Early on I figured I'd space the taps out along the length of the front, but I'm glad I bunched them up on one side. They're all over top of the co2 tank on the compressor hump, and theres no interference. I can definitely squeeze a 4th keg in now, but I had to add 8 inches to do it, so swinging kegs in and out is a bitch now. I plan to keep a stool nearby.

4 1/8th in. shanks were the perfect size, I went through about 2 1/4 in. of wood, and then plus the length inside the faucet/front shroud and the rear spout nut, I've got barely 1/2 in. to spare. I'm planning to insulate with 1/2 in. foam so it's perfect.

One thing that's lacking that I immediately regret is a drip tray! Also wow they're not cheap, any recommendations for DIY or something along those lines?

Pretty pleased with how it turned out, I learned a lot about working with wood that I (as a mechanical engineer) had no experience with! Haha. Was fun overall.

Next I plan to build a fermentation chamber with multiple discreet chambers using my current mini fridge ferm chamber as a refer. Will post ideas as I go!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Wood is fun! Play with it more often. You probably don't need to insulate with that much wood, but make sure you get some humidity control whichever way you go.

I've been considering using wood to build my drip tray, but then make a tray myself out of silicon or something. Then I'd use a wire kitchen rack for the part to put the classes onto that elevates above the tray. I honestly might skip the silicon and just use some epoxy for the inside of the tray. It really shouldn't get that wet, and it would get cleaned out into a drip bucket regularly. I have scraps of different hard woods though, so I'd use that before any soft woods. With the epoxy it won't matter that much what you use if you do it well, because it'll take 10 years before it starts to wear too much.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

SaltPig posted:

If your still in the market, check out anvil's new system. It can be converted to 240v and had an
insulated double wall. Seems like the best all in one electric right now, at least bang for buck.

For euro goons who are looking for one, I just recieved a mail from braumarkt.com that they’re doing a a preorder for the Arsegan Easybrew 30L with a price of 319 euros. Normally it’s 389 and it goes on sale for 359 a few times a year. Not sure what shipping will costs, but it might worth to take a look at.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

LochNessMonster posted:

For euro goons who are looking for one, I just recieved a mail from braumarkt.com that they’re doing a a preorder for the Arsegan Easybrew 30L with a price of 319 euros. Normally it’s 389 and it goes on sale for 359 a few times a year. Not sure what shipping will costs, but it might worth to take a look at.

Got a link? The only things I find on their website are for the unit at full-price (including a wort chiller): https://www.braumarkt.com/arsegan-easybrew-30-autom-brouwketel-plus-wortkoeler

319 is a drat good price. Looks to be pretty much the same model as the Klarstein Mundschenk / BrewMonk units that have been floating around for awhile. I've been eyeing the Brew Monk for awhile, so if this really is the same thing, that 319 + free shipping price almost brings it into definite-buy territory for me.

Edit: is Arsegan the house brand of Braumarkt.com? I've never purchased from them before but it seems like they're sorta like what Brewferm is to Brouwland.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 27, 2019

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

LochNessMonster posted:

Their shipping rates are decent
I had mine delivered in a big box, not a pallet or anything. Costs were per the link.
https://www.braumarkt.com/en/shipping-countries-and-shipping-costs

Note that if you ever have a problem with Braumarkt you are screwed. Their customer service is the worst I have ever encountered.
When you call and by some miracle an employee decides to answer the phone you'll be asked to send an email, but when you do they just ignore that email and any reminders.
Issues take weeks to sort out and you'll be chasing up broken promises and missed deadlines the whole time.

Drone posted:

Edit: is Arsegan the house brand of Braumarkt.com? I've never purchased from them before but it seems like they're sorta like what Brewferm is to Brouwland.

Yes, Arsegan is their house brand.
Avoid the yeast, but the grains are decent.
I don't use kits, but heard theirs are pretty nice.
Their malt mill is quite good, though the inner cogs are made of plastic so running it via a drill on high speed means the teeth get chipped easily. I had to replace mine after two years, but got free replacements.

BioTech fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 27, 2019

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Here's the direct link: clickety click

It seems it's a new version because now it also has a gage glass which the old model doesn't have. That's exactly what made me gently caress up my first brew in their old model, I started adding water and didn't notice there weren't any volume indicators on the inside of the kettle.

I got the link from their marketing mails, I'm not sure it's accessible otherwise. When pressing the button to access the english site I get an error saying the URL doesn't exist. The product description says that the item is listed for full price but if you add the discount code "EB30PK80" on checkout, you get the 80 euro discount. Delivery however is somewhere throughout August 2019 though.

With regards to their malt mill having plastic grinders, that might be one of the cheaper models I think? The 90 euro version has stainless steel rollers and works like a charm when running it with a drill.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

LochNessMonster posted:

When pressing the button to access the english site I get an error saying the URL doesn't exist.

Weird, the URL only seems to exist on the Dutch page / the Dutch version of their store, and the product isn't listed at all in English or German.

Did the email say how long the code is good for?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

LochNessMonster posted:

It seems it's a new version because now it also has a gage glass which the old model doesn't have. That's exactly what made me gently caress up my first brew in their old model, I started adding water and didn't notice there weren't any volume indicators on the inside of the kettle.

I have the old version and it definitely has volume indicators on the inside. They are stamped on the inside of the kettle, both in gallons and liters.
It does not have volumes on the inside of the grain basket and when this is in the kettle you cant read the volume. Maybe that is what happened?

Note the volume is 3L off because they count from the tap upwards. ignoring the area below. If you drain using the pump or don't mind tilting the nearly drained kettle you can get most of this out as well.
I recommend checking the glass gauge to see if it does the same, so it doesn't will throw off your calculations.

Or we have a different version, there have been a few.
Klarenstein, Brewmonk, Hop Cat and all these are made by the same factory in China.
At some point Brouwmarkt confirmed the factory will only supply if they sell theirs at a certain price on their website to avoid price agreement issues with the other brands.
To circumvent this they sell them with discounts via the newsletter. During the release they did the same and anyone who missed pre-ordering could just call them and get the same discount code.

Same thing goes for the larger, 50L version.

LochNessMonster posted:

With regards to their malt mill having plastic grinders, that might be one of the cheaper models I think? The 90 euro version has stainless steel rollers and works like a charm when running it with a drill.

I meant the 90 Euro RVS one. It is a rebranded Bulldog Malt Mill.
http://www.bulldogbrews.co.uk/products/brewing-equipment/bulldog-malt-mill.html

The rollers are stainless steel, but black plastic cogs connect the roller turned by either the crank or a drill to the second roller so they both move.
If you follow the shaft where you attached your crank or drill toward the rollers and take away the RVS cover you will see them.

This picture is small, but this it what it looks like undamaged.

The cogs are made of plastic and if you run your drill too fast they will chip and bend until they no longer connect.
Mine weren't completely parallel and I got a few more months out of them by swapping them inside out since the teeth were mostly damaged on one side, but in the end they had to be replaced.
It was free and took 5 minutes, but you do need spare cogs on hand.

Not my thread, but exact same problem here; https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78102

There are a few websites where you can buy spares for just a few Euros
Brouwmarkt sent me a pair for free, so that was a very nice surprise considering my other encounters with their customer service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

BioTech posted:

I have the old version

How happy are you with it? I've been looking into it because of the sheer convenience (and because I live in an apartment and they seem great not only for faster cleaning, but for better use of limited space).