Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I love the Twilight movies. They suck in the best way. That loving baseball scene is great. Michael Sheen cackling as a campy renaissance italian vampire king is great. The leads having no chemistry and completely phoning in their roles is great. “Drink every time Jacob takes his shirt off for no reason” is great.

There are legitimate grievances about the messages about femininity and romance that it sends to young women through Bella’s toxic relationships being portrayed positively, though. And if I know anything about people complaining on the internet about a thing in 2019, it’s that they always have womens’ best interests at heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Bella's actress was actually constantly told to look less emotional when they were filming the movies, apparently. It wasn't phoning it in that was literally the direction she was given because apparently it matches the books?

The reason they're popular in the end is that it's basically every teenager's fantasy. Bella is massively popular even though she has no actual personality and doesn't even do anything to earn it. Everybody loves her and the hottest guy in class finds her so completely enchanting that it's love at first sight and they're perfect for each other. Oh by the way he's also an immortal vampire so they can both be 17 forever. No dealing with the looming threat of adulthood, just be high school students forever. No putting effort into anything, you just get to be high school alpha forever.

Personally I think it's dumb as hell but I don't get why people are so judgmental toward the people that enjoy it. It's fundamentally harmless fiction so if a young girl's struggle to pick between necrophilia and bestiality is your thing then hey you do you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Heartthrob teen actors deserve a fair shake post whatever thing they were originally attached to. Robert Pattison, Kristen Stewart and Zac Effron have been good in everything I've seen them in. I've never seen twilight or any Effron's Disney stuff.

People should be allowed to grow up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I like the song Friday. I fully understand that it's an objectively bad song, but I'm not saying I like it "ironically" or anything. I just enjoy listening to it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Heartthrob teen actors deserve a fair shake post whatever thing they were originally attached to. Robert Pattison, Kristen Stewart and Zac Effron have been good in everything I've seen them in. I've never seen twilight or any Effron's Disney stuff.

People should be allowed to grow up.

Pattinson is good as hell and the people who are mad about him playing Batman really give away how little they actually watch outside of massive franchises.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
All the Potter kids turned out good too.

Radcliffe’s acting is probably helped that he’s set for life on residuals and thus we only see him in passion projects.

PHUO: the bachelor’s degree should be completely supplanted by a one or two year course in “reading, writing, analyzing, and citing sources.” Maybe add in some tech literacy and remedial math.

Only getting the “I did a college” degree should be seen as the norm and should be as “prestigious” as the current four-year degree. Career and field-specific education and seeking higher degrees in specific fields should be a totally separate thing. Divorce academia from college being “remedial adult training for the 21st century”

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
College degrees are definitely a problem as they exist currently. Everyone, including people running companies, has been told for so long that you need a college degree for a good career that we just accept it without question. It's dumb though - there are tons of people out there with advanced degrees that are absolutely not qualified for the job the degree should qualify them for, and there are a lot of jobs that require degrees but people without them could easily do the job if given the chance.

Kind of related: HR should not play any role in hiring for any job except for HR positions. They don't even understand the job they are hiring for, yet have the power to put your resume in the trash if your gpa isn't some arbitrary number or you use the wrong font etc. You should be able to get a job based more on demonstrated real-world merit, not just by having the right degree from the right college with the right grades.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tiggum posted:

I like the song Friday. I fully understand that it's an objectively bad song, but I'm not saying I like it "ironically" or anything. I just enjoy listening to it.

I like it but I don't know if its an ironic way. Its a dumb as hell song that I could have written and its poorly sung but its still really fun to jam on once in a while at the end of the working week. Its not gratuitously offensive and hard to listen to in the manner of a Cardi B song.

On the subject, I didn't like the movie Friday which I've heard a good few people recommend strongly, I watched it while i was stoned as well so that wasn't a factor, it just felt like nothing happened.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Mandatory 2 year liberal arts program with randomly selected breadth electives after grade 12. Just get everyone on a solid footing.

Every time a company hires someone with a degree, they pay 25% of that person’s educational cost back into funding of the liberal arts program.

School sports teams are selected by the top grades in home economics and evaluations on community service. Nobody can be on the same team more than one season.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

College degrees are definitely a problem as they exist currently. Everyone, including people running companies, has been told for so long that you need a college degree for a good career that we just accept it without question. It's dumb though - there are tons of people out there with advanced degrees that are absolutely not qualified for the job the degree should qualify them for, and there are a lot of jobs that require degrees but people without them could easily do the job if given the chance.

Kind of related: HR should not play any role in hiring for any job except for HR positions. They don't even understand the job they are hiring for, yet have the power to put your resume in the trash if your gpa isn't some arbitrary number or you use the wrong font etc. You should be able to get a job based more on demonstrated real-world merit, not just by having the right degree from the right college with the right grades.

The issue is that peoples' attitudes toward college degrees haven't kept up with their reality. It used to be few people ever got a college degree and it was totally possible to start as the guy that sorted letters in the mail room and work your way up from there by just, know, showing up five days a week, putting in your hours, and showing that you were capable of producing results. Having a college degree meant that you had a certain set of skills and had the smarts and knowledge to even be let in in the first place. Even then it was way more likely that you'd just get some random, bottom rung job as a literal teenager and work you way up from there. In that case there was even the expectation that the high school drop out that had been doing the job longer than you've been alive would be able to teach that fresh business school graduate a thing or two.

Now we have schools with a 99% acceptance rate that will gladly take your money, give you a bullshit degree, and not give a poo poo if you majored in Parties. So now we have this weird combination of absurdly low standards but weirdly high expectations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

IMO the career ladder has made us lose track of what education is. Education isn't job training; it's a social good, and ideally governments would support people as far as their ability can take them in whatever field calls to them.

I have a history degree and work in fairly technical, professional finance and so I can definitely say that no you do not *need* a relevant degree to prepare you for a modern office job.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

IMO the career ladder has made us lose track of what education is. Education isn't job training; it's a social good, and ideally governments would support people as far as their ability can take them in whatever field calls to them.

I have a history degree and work in fairly technical, professional finance and so I can definitely say that no you do not *need* a relevant degree to prepare you for a modern office job.

I mean, it is if you want to be a professional academic, but otherwise I agree.

I was that for a while but now I'm a software developer despite the fact that the only programming class I ever took in college, I got a D in (it was fortran 77, so it is kind of embarrassing since the language I work with is fortran 90/2003, but f77 is bullshit so whatever). If you can get past HR, your education doesn't particularly matter.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
HR weirds me out.

Stuff like “You are harassing your coworkers, one more violation and you are fired” and also stuff like “bad GPA, name sounds foreign, took until 28 to finish a bachelor’s, trash this resume!” in the same office?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

HR weirds me out.

Stuff like “You are harassing your coworkers, one more violation and you are fired” and also stuff like “bad GPA, name sounds foreign, took until 28 to finish a bachelor’s, trash this resume!” in the same office?

They also can't be trusted. If you go to them with a legitimate complaint, it's a coinflip whether they believe you (in other words: they think you can prove enough of your allegations to sue them) or if they think you have nothing and will fire you for not "adopting the corporate culture we strive to develop". I don't get why anyone falls for the bullshit about HR being there to protect the employees. They are pretty blatant about only covering the rear end of the employer first. In my history of being employed there have been several instances where by the handbook I probably should have complained to HR, but didn't because I valued a steady income more than feeling comfortable at work.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

They also can't be trusted. If you go to them with a legitimate complaint, it's a coinflip whether they believe you (in other words: they think you can prove enough of your allegations to sue them) or if they think you have nothing and will fire you for not "adopting the corporate culture we strive to develop". I don't get why anyone falls for the bullshit about HR being there to protect the employees. They are pretty blatant about only covering the rear end of the employer first. In my history of being employed there have been several instances where by the handbook I probably should have complained to HR, but didn't because I valued a steady income more than feeling comfortable at work.

Capitalism.txt

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think that in the UK, HR departments have developed such an obsession with the vague idea of 'talent' that they have lost the plot. Nobody knows how you identify or attract the best candidates so there is just this bizarre cargo cult.

Ironically a lot of it is based on avoiding discrimination of any kind - what if we removed everyone's name from their applicactions, so you can't subliminally write off foreign ones? Fair enough.

What if we removed the name of their university? The subject of their degree? Their grade, because people from a poor background start with a disadvantage? Maybe give them impossible exams just to see how they handle stress? Make them give a video presentation to a director on the nature of a cactus?

I guess my point is they are just throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks - which tends to result in the same old yuppies anyway.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ignoring their grade in the current system is fine. Natures of cactus, no.

The system is hosed. Cactuses are something only established film directors and botany students and anyone who actually has lived in a desert know about. I'm including their symbolic meaning in this. If you have seen a cactus in a film, ok, but you don't know what they mean.

Grade means something, but not in the current system.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:05 on May 19, 2019

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
loving I can explain the nature of a cactus. poo poo, hire me, you limey cunts.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Asking stupid riddles started because of Microsoft. I mean, if they were doing it that must be how you find smart people, right?

Except that they abandoned the thing entirely because it was loving stupid.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

HR weirds me out.

The HR web page: "Strength in Diversity" in bold bright letters. Underneath, pictures of the HR staff. Five blonde, white women with the same hairstyle.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
the mcu is garbage, just irredeemable poo poo

e: just the worst

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

TheMaskedUgly posted:

the mcu is garbage, just irredeemable poo poo

e: just the worst

i don't think that qualifies as an unpopular opinion

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

At worst the MCU stuff is meh. I don't know how you can hate them other than just wanting to hate things that are popular. They are all competently made with professional level lighting and cinematography and good sound quality.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

At worst the MCU stuff is meh. I don't know how you can hate them other than just wanting to hate things that are popular. They are all competently made with professional level lighting and cinematography and good sound quality.

don't hate the player, hate the game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
What little I've seen of the MCU has been fine entertainment, irredeemable garbage is a strong description though, I'd save that for the bullshit my ex would watch on Netflix like Pretty Little Liars

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Mu Zeta posted:

"Professional level lighting and cinematography" is a stupidly low bar to give to a company that effectively has a monopoly on mainstream entertainment. Also the sound quality (especially for Disney) is arguable more often than not.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah that last part is a joke. I was trying to talk about the MCU movies like a video game review.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah that last part is a joke. I was trying to talk about the MCU movies like a video game review.

this guy gets it. video game reviewers or "journalists" as they like to call themselves just throw buzzwords around left and right about games. Take this game interactive story where you walk around a city and watch things happen that you aren't involved with in any way, they might call it "Cinematic" or say that it "Has a deep, rich story (even though it's a story that already happened and you missed it)", or they might even call it "Undertalesque" if you're that whiny dipshit from Rock Paper Shotgun.

But if you're a supposed journalist that hates a game, just slander the developers in some stupid contrived way, maybe say that rear end in a top hat Youtuber of the Month played the beta and that makes them horrible people, or watch three episodes of the Irate Gamer and try to imitate the guy imitating the AVGN. "This game is a poopy sack of diarrhea coming from my anus and I wouldn't even gently caress it if it were a person"

can we just go back to saying that games are good or bad, in our opinion, and not try to present it to everyone as a fact? Just say you don't like it, the number ratings only serve to tell people who don't want to read your three million word review of tetris if you liked it or not.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 19:55 on May 20, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I subscribed to T-Series on YouTube to help beat pewds. gently caress that guy!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I subscribed to T-Series on YouTube to help beat pewds. gently caress that guy!

i too like to participate in fights that only really sad people and nine year olds care about

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I subscribed to both because I like seeing numbers go up.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

What little I've seen of the MCU has been fine entertainment, irredeemable garbage is a strong description though, I'd save that for the bullshit my ex would watch on Netflix like Pretty Little Liars

How bad is Pretty Little Liars? My daughter is obsessed at the moment and is trying to sell it to me as the kind of melodramatic stupid soap-y stuff I love to laugh at.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

burial posted:

How bad is Pretty Little Liars? My daughter is obsessed at the moment and is trying to sell it to me as the kind of melodramatic stupid soap-y stuff I love to laugh at.

Its really shite. There's some overarching plot about a missing girl or something but I can't remember if it was vampires or witcher or mysticism or whatever because it was so unmemorable and bland. Every single scene is just 2 attractive people attempting to have a serious and dramatic conversation while sombre piano music plays over the top.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

more things should be watermelon flavored

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

more things should be watermelon flavored

I'm sorry but that is not opinion.

That is fact.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Artificial watermelon flavor is better than actual watermelon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Solice Kirsk posted:

Artificial watermelon flavor is better than actual watermelon.

Also true of green apple.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

Also true of green apple.

Agreed. I prefer the “tastes nothing like the fruit” flavours to the ones like lemon and orange that are much closer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MizPiz posted:

a company that effectively has a monopoly on mainstream entertainment.

Yeah I don't hate the movies themselves. I generally don't like them and have only seen the ones I have because people drag me to them (thor ragnarok rules though) but I absolutely hate what they have done to mainstream movies. Basically just turned them into episodic TV shows and that sucks. Everything is just a marvel movie or some other company trying to do the same thing with their own lovely franchise. It's depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Things were so much better when we had normal mainstream movies like Die Hard 2, 3, 4, 5, Jaws 2 , 3, 4, Matrix 2, 3, and Friday the 13th 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9...

IMO nothing has really changed and we still get a few great movies every year same as any other year