Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a canteen/waterbowl all in one, for taking on long walks w/ my dog? She's a thirsty pooch on the best of days, and since she's all black, summer walks have to get cut short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a canteen/waterbowl all in one, for taking on long walks w/ my dog? She's a thirsty pooch on the best of days, and since she's all black, summer walks have to get cut short.

I like this: https://www.entirelypets.com/outward-hound-port-a-bowl-48-oz-medium-blue.html

I just give her some of my water. It rolls up really small.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Does anyone have experience with those supplements that supposedly help with the grass-killing properties of dog pee? I’m meticulous about picking their poops up but the pee output of two 70lb dogs is finally starting to win the battle for my backyard. Are there any bad side effects? I’m nervous about the long term effects of supplements and I’d rather have a mud pit than do anything that would hurt my two goobers but just curious.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I can’t find it from a quick google but I used a lawn fertilizer that changed the ph of the lawn and helped neutralize the dog urine spots.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Any tips for gauging how a rescue dog will fare in a home with two resident cats?

tl;dr: So my husband and I are looking to adopt a dog. He's wanted one since before we met, but I brought two cats into the relationship. Now that we're settled (married, just purchased a house), it seems like the right time. Our two cats are extremely chill and not aggressive (one is just a floof who demands belly rubs from anyone he meets, the other is a little timid but a complete sweetheart). We wanted to focus on dogs that might have a harder time getting adopted, with our only real criteria being good with kids and cats. We met an extremely sweet girl tonight who checked a lot of our boxes--black pitbull mix, rescued pregnant from a high-kill shelter several hours away, has had twelve puppies and been at our local APA since early February, and is a total love--didn't bark once during our time with her, very careful to go after the toys we were playing with and not our fingers, gave lots of kisses, knows basic commands, etc.

Our only (and frankly, large) concern is that, because she's never been in a home, foster or otherwise, there's no way to gauge how she'll react to cats. The people at the shelter said that they were walking her past some kittens recently and she was interested but not aggressive, but that's anecdotal. We want what's best for all of the animals, and don't want to cause needless stress only for it not to work out. The shelter staff seem really eager to find her a home and seemed to imply that they might be able to cat test her, but for obvious reasons I get that it's something that isn't standard practice.

Thoughts/ideas/advice? :ohdear:

JaneError fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 8, 2019

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Do you have a place set up where the cats can escape to?

I've got two senior cats and three rescue dogs. I've got a spare room set up with a gate in the doorway for the cats. The gate is raised off the ground enough that the cats can go under it if they want to roam the house but the dogs can't go in. The biggest problem is the dogs want to eat all the cat food and dig in the litter box.

We did small cat test at the shelter when I adopted the first dog. She's a 50 lb hound. The cat test was the shelter worker brought the dog into the cat room and I was supposed to observe and see if I was okay with the dog's behavior around the cats. The dog sniffed around for a bit and tried to eat the cat food. She didn't seem too concerned with cats and I decided that was okay.

At home, my orange cat didn't seem to know what to make of the dog but my black cat wasn't a fan. Now two and a half years later, the orange cat roams the house, sometimes the dogs want to chase him a bit, sometimes they ignore him. I the dogs think he's a weird small dog. And I think the orange cat thinks the smaller dog is a weird cat. The black cat doesn't want to leave her room any more and the dogs always want to chase her.

A lot of it seems to depend on the cat as well as the dog as to how they might get along. It can take a bit for a shelter dog to adjust. It seemed to take way longer for the first dog to adjust to her new home and figure out the cats than the others, partly because the first dog was my first dog ever, partly because the other dogs had another dog or two to take cues from.

At first, I used a spare room for dog containment. Then I decided to switch to dog gets full range of the house except for cat exclusive space. I didn't have a kennel at first because I never knew anyone who kenneled their dogs and didn't really understand the benefits.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the kennel before I brought home a dog and also set up a cat exclusive space.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

We got Sherlock a cooling vest and it helps SO MUCH. Just even as a barrier to keep the sun from beating down on his back. I think ours is Outward Hound? We wet it before we go for walks and then if it dries out as well during the walk. If we aren't able to wet it during the walk we leave it on though and have noticed that it works well as a barrier on its own.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

GoodBee posted:

Do you have a place set up where the cats can escape to?

I've got two senior cats and three rescue dogs. I've got a spare room set up with a gate in the doorway for the cats. The gate is raised off the ground enough that the cats can go under it if they want to roam the house but the dogs can't go in. The biggest problem is the dogs want to eat all the cat food and dig in the litter box.

We did small cat test at the shelter when I adopted the first dog. She's a 50 lb hound. The cat test was the shelter worker brought the dog into the cat room and I was supposed to observe and see if I was okay with the dog's behavior around the cats. The dog sniffed around for a bit and tried to eat the cat food. She didn't seem too concerned with cats and I decided that was okay.

At home, my orange cat didn't seem to know what to make of the dog but my black cat wasn't a fan. Now two and a half years later, the orange cat roams the house, sometimes the dogs want to chase him a bit, sometimes they ignore him. I the dogs think he's a weird small dog. And I think the orange cat thinks the smaller dog is a weird cat. The black cat doesn't want to leave her room any more and the dogs always want to chase her.

A lot of it seems to depend on the cat as well as the dog as to how they might get along. It can take a bit for a shelter dog to adjust. It seemed to take way longer for the first dog to adjust to her new home and figure out the cats than the others, partly because the first dog was my first dog ever, partly because the other dogs had another dog or two to take cues from.

At first, I used a spare room for dog containment. Then I decided to switch to dog gets full range of the house except for cat exclusive space. I didn't have a kennel at first because I never knew anyone who kenneled their dogs and didn't really understand the benefits.

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten the kennel before I brought home a dog and also set up a cat exclusive space.

These are all good points; thanks. We'd definitely work on slowly acclimating any pup to the house by fencing off increasingly larger areas, and getting them OK with a kennel, at least initially. Hopefully at some point everyone would be able to coexist peacefully throughout the house, but we could certainly set up our basement (finished and with a litter box) as cat-exclusive. Knowing that it's a thing, if we decide to move forward with this girl, I think we'd ask the shelter what they could do about setting up a cat test.

Our cats must be spirit siblings; the orange one and aforementioned belly rub aficionado, I'm not really concerned about. Black cat is more shy and less adventurous and I could see him having a longer adjustment period.

My husband grew up with dogs, and I with cats, but we've never had to combine the two and we're terrified of making a misstep and traumatizing a bunch of animals in the process.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'd really warn you against any sort of terrier (pits are terriers) that you have no background on with cats. Sure, there are plenty of dogs of all breeds that live safely with cats but it only takes a minute for there to be a tragedy. If you really want a rescue go through smaller rescues that foster their dogs and have fosters with cats. I don't want to put you off rescues but I've just seen too many bad situations. Dogs are totally different in kennels than they are in homes.

My older dog is a rescue that was listed as being good/submissive with other dogs and safe around people of all ages. When I got him home and he settled in he turned out to be aggressive towards both dogs and people, especially children. It has cost me thousands in behavioral help over his lifetime to keep him safe and happy. Most rescue organizations are trying their best but don't necessarily believe everything in a petfinder ad.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are lots of old basset hounds who're generally chill with cats and need homes. They're stubborn as heck which unfortunately lands them on the block pretty often.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

While I'm all for mixing cats and dogs, go slow and be extremely careful and don't be afraid to say "this isn't working". I love my dog to death, but he has a prey drive a mile long and once put a cat in a tree, and I know he'd be a disaster if I tried to get an indoor cat to live with us. Which is a bummer as I miss cats, but... safety first.

Seconding the "have separate areas" advice, that's real good. Your cats need to feel safe as much as your dog does.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
My puppy is 4 months old and every now and then he’ll have a day where he’s just super sleepy. Not lethargic, but just takes lots of naps. He’s fine later and it only lasts like a day. I’m thinking maybe cause he’s growing? Just like it can make kids sleepy? I’ll ask the vet I just want to make sure that’s a common thing

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

dogs have moods and highs/lows with energy. Weather will impact them too

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

dogs have moods and highs/lows with energy. Weather will impact them too

It’s been cold and rainy here. I didn’t even think about the weather

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

CeramicPig posted:

My puppy is 4 months old and every now and then he’ll have a day where he’s just super sleepy. Not lethargic, but just takes lots of naps. He’s fine later and it only lasts like a day. I’m thinking maybe cause he’s growing? Just like it can make kids sleepy? I’ll ask the vet I just want to make sure that’s a common thing

If he’s otherwise behaving normally when he’s awake I wouldn’t be too concerned. Weather can definitely be a factor like the other poster mentioned. Mine mope around all day when it’s raining. Enjoy the break from puppy shenanigans!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My little dog hides behind my toilet and pees on my bed when it rains.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Sleepy puppy tax

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Our 5 month old pup seemed unusually lazy today, but when I mentioned it to my husband he told me that she didn't sleep great last night, shifting around a lot and playing with her crate toy a few times. It blew my mind because before she was sleeping through the night, the slightest noise from the crate had me up and dragging on pants for a 2-3am potty break. I haven't needed to do that for nearly a month now though, so apparently I can sleep through restless puppy sounds now.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Happy Dog Moms Day to all the dog moms here 🐶💕💐

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
My dog was neutered 3 days ago and is already back to behaving normally. Unfortunately that means spurts of energy and frequently trying to lick his incision. Turns out he's long enough that if he gets the right leverage he was able to lick himself today. We stopped him but I'm curious how much damage could he do? He's not aggressively trying to bite his incisions or anything just licking.

Secondary questions, any suggestions on games/tricks I could use to keep him at least mentally occupied for the next week or so?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

lifts cats over head posted:

My dog was neutered 3 days ago and is already back to behaving normally. Unfortunately that means spurts of energy and frequently trying to lick his incision. Turns out he's long enough that if he gets the right leverage he was able to lick himself today. We stopped him but I'm curious how much damage could he do? He's not aggressively trying to bite his incisions or anything just licking.

Secondary questions, any suggestions on games/tricks I could use to keep him at least mentally occupied for the next week or so?

I'd check with the vet about licking. How much damage he can do by licking is pretty dependent on what sort of suture/closure they used on the incision, though in general you want to keep him from licking it if possible, if only to reduce the chance of infection. In theory dogs lick their cuts and wounds to try to prevent infection, but it doesn't always work that way in practice.

Most dogs respond pretty well to just about any kind of training, in my experience. My pup is in (what I hope is) the most painful stretch of teething and even just training her in simple sits and downs, or working on impulse control training, is very helpful in distracting her from her mouth hurting.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

Kongs filled with food

Don't they give a dish helmet to keep them from licking? My dog got one when they setup a thing on his leg so they could insert an iv in an emergency. He only had it that day and night as I brought him back the next morning for his last round of heartworm shots. And the reason they used one this time is he tore off the last one and there was lots of blood(this was when he was with a foster family).

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 17, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Holyshoot posted:

Kongs filled with food

Don't they give a dish helmet to keep them from licking? My dog got one when they setup a thing on his leg so they could insert an iv in an emergency. He only had it that day and night as I brought him back the next morning for his last round of heartworm shots. And the reason they used one this time is he tore off the last one and there was lots of blood(this was when he was with a foster family).

My dog was out of his cone of shame before we even got home from the vet when he was neutered , and it was one of the ones that goes around one of the front legs.

Granted, he can also open storm doors, gate latches, and fetch himself some ice from the maker in the fridge door. Thankfully he is a good boy and has no interest in actually escaping.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Anyone have a guess as to these dogs' breeds? They're mutts but a friend of mine is giving them away, and I kind of want one. The deal is I live in an apartment. We've got onsite dog park and all that sort of stuff, but I'd still like to make sure these guys would be an ok fit for an apartment.

Dogs https://imgur.com/gallery/5AN3zcc

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Any pics of the parents? I maybe see beagle in there.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Looks like a hound. They're fine for an apartment imo but you'll need to exercise beyond the attached park as they're working dogs who love to be vocal when bored. You could get a lazy one if you're lucky (I've been unlucky with my two bassets)

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
No pics of the parents the mom looks just like a coonhound the dad is an unknown quantity. Mom wandered up preggers on my friends property and they adopted her after canvassing and craigslist's to see if she belonged to anyone.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Brand New Yorgi puppy tax. Meet my new best friend Dexter!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Warbird posted:

Fuckface has returned. Please stand by.

Was the visit from Fuckface uneventful?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

GoodBee posted:

Was the visit from Fuckface uneventful?

Blissfully so. It was just for the weekend so his potential for damage was minimal. He's mellowed a bit in his old age (4). My inlaws are staying with my sister-in-law and thus fuckface; they're less than thrilled with him apparently. My lazy beage was more their speed.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

This is Teddi, my new corgi puppy that I got about a month ago:

He's four months old now, and has two modes: incredibly chill and in need of naps/snuggles, and incredibly hyper and in need of so much playing.

Still working on the whole potty training thing, though, which has largely been an uphill battle except for inside of his kennel (and already has me writing off one of the rugs in my apartment).

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Get ready for the daily shedding.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

We just realized our Beage hopped up on our table and ate about 3 or 4 ounces of trail mix. No chocolate thankfully, but it did contain some raisins. This was about 4-5 hours ago and she is behaving normally (read: still hungry). I'm going to keep an eye on her and call the vet in the morning; the mix was heavy on nuts so that's enough fiber that I don't see things sticking around too long.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Beagles are garbage disposals. My sister's once got into my suitcase and ate a king size snickers bar, a full bag of gardettos and a granola bar, plus a pair of my girlfriends underwear without issue.

He also got into his food storage under the sink and ate enough that they had to rush him to the emergency vet. He was so full and fat, he was lying in the middle of the floor surrounded by food moaning. They could see the kibble chunks in his stomach and it was rock hard full of food. the vet induced vomiting aand the dog was okay. No surgery needed.

The myth about beagles eating themselves to death, can't say it's true for all of them but its more common than you think.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh for sure. She once ate an entire bag of hemp chill out treats and stoned herself out of her goddamn mind. Didn't even finish all of them.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Old Swerdlow posted:

Get ready for the daily shedding.

How is your rug not completely saturated with corgi hair already, it looks like it'd be hellish to deal with? Do you groom religiously?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’ve started to brush her everyday since spring started. But yeah, keeping the rug clean sucks; my wife and I are looking for a new rug. We never thought of having a pet when we bought it years ago.

Luckily my furminator knock-off does a great job of picking up the hair from the rug after brushing her.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I don't know if it'd work quite the same on corgi fur, but I use an undercoat rake on my mini aussies and it's a godsend, works much better than the Furminator. I think corgi fur might be the sort that the Furminator was really designed for, though. They tend to pull way too much on my pups to be useful.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Any good recommendations on a grooming tool for a mid-length coat? Aussie mix, No undercoat really, but he still sheds like crazy. We tried the Furminator, but he doesn’t like the sensation at all, and it frankly doesn’t work all that well. For reference here’s the good boy in question:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Any good recommendations on a grooming tool for a mid-length coat? Aussie mix, No undercoat really, but he still sheds like crazy. We tried the Furminator, but he doesn’t like the sensation at all, and it frankly doesn’t work all that well. For reference here’s the good boy in question:

If undercoat matting isn't a problem, I'd say you can probably get away with a pin brush or a straight steel comb.