Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I loved Banshee so much. We burned through the first two seasons on Prime and then got a free week-long Cinemax trial subscription to burn through Seasons 3 and 4. As soon as Warrior wraps up, I'm going to resubscribe to Cinemax to binge it. If it's even half as rad as Banshee, I know I'll love it.

Warrior is good, furthermore it's had one of the best single episodes of TV so far this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah, Warrior is pretty drat good so far. I thought one or two episodes were a little slow so far, but they weren't bad or anything, just less fun than the others.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hizawk posted:

Banshee is one of the best shows. It is a complete show, and my go-to recommendation to everyone.

Nobody I know has said they hated it yet.

Banshee really is an amazingly stupid show. It's the only show I can think of where a PTA meeting has the potential to turn into gun fight between a 7 foot tall Native guy and a pretend sherriff and several neo nazis and then a chinese drag queen hacker shows up with a bazooka and then everyone goes and has an orgy in an Amish barn while an Amish crime lord practices kung fu on wing chun dummy .

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Banshee really is an amazingly stupid show. It's the only show I can think of where a PTA meeting has the potential to turn into gun fight between a 7 foot tall Native guy and a pretend sherriff and several neo nazis and then a chinese drag queen hacker shows up with a bazooka and then everyone goes and has an orgy in an Amish barn while an Amish crime lord practices kung fu on wing chun dummy .

And that's not even getting into the Russian mob and prison stuff. Man, what a great show that was.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't even mention the killingest milf there ever was.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:hai:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
God, Job loving owned though

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Banshee has the worst intro of all time and it looks like they paid some high school kid to make it in photoshop.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm still holding out hope for a Sugar/Job spin off about them driving around solving mysteries and trying to figure out the perfect cinnamon pie recipe.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

Banshee has the worst intro of all time and it looks like they paid some high school kid to make it in photoshop.

Sick music though

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I loved Banshee so much. We burned through the first two seasons on Prime and then got a free week-long Cinemax trial subscription to burn through Seasons 3 and 4. As soon as Warrior wraps up, I'm going to resubscribe to Cinemax to binge it. If it's even half as rad as Banshee, I know I'll love it.

I just got to the Protagonist-Seeking Bus. This is hilarious

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah, Warrior is pretty drat good so far. I thought one or two episodes were a little slow so far, but they weren't bad or anything, just less fun than the others.

Holy poo poo, a period/western martial arts show hits literally all of my buttons.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Accretionist posted:

I just got to the Protagonist-Seeking Bus. This is hilarious

With the fat guy? Thing is, on any other show, that guy and his bus would have probably been the big bad threat for the season finale.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Like 6 min into the pilot. I put it on pause earlier so I just got to the first diner fight. The action's like a bloody, straight-faced American take on Bollywood action. This show's hilarious.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 17, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

Like 6 min into the pilot. I put it on pause earlier so I just got to the first diner fight. The action's like a bloody, straight-faced American take on Bollywood action. This show's hilarious.

It gets a bit less Expendables and a lot more imma punch your loving head in repeatedly

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Never mind! There will be another bus, but that isn't a spoiler. Keep enjoying!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Anyone watch The Society on Netflix? It’s about a group of high school kids finding out that everyone in their town is gone. It sounds a bit dumb but I thought it was fun. Unfortunately nothing really got explained in the first season so I’m hoping they ordered a season 2.

There’s some teenage drama in the first few episodes which I think are literally added just to set the scene and to convince us that these characters who are very obviously played by actors not in high school, are in high school and do stupid high school things. But the rest of the season it’s like not important at all except for the occasional thing where the character does a stupid thing because they’re in high school and don’t know better.

I think my only complaint about it is that the town the kids grew up in was said to be an affluent town where everyone’s parents were like lawyers and whatnot. From my experience an affluent town means that all those kids would have picked up some practical real world skills from their parents paying for them to do privileged things but it doesn’t seem like the case here.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just looked it up, sounds awful.

The Rain season 2 started so imma watch that instead, i bunch of Danish teens finding out that their world is gone and now live in a damp future where strange things are a foot and rain kills everyone.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 18, 2019

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyone watch The Society on Netflix? It’s about a group of high school kids finding out that everyone in their town is gone. It sounds a bit dumb

When I was seven or eight or nine, stupidly young, a friend showed me his essay that got him an A. It was about him coming downstairs one morning and finding everyone in his home was gone. He searched, he panicked. Then they came back from doing their shopping. Even as a seven or eight or nine year old, stupidly young, I thought it was a dumb story.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

alphabettitouretti posted:

Anyone watched I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson?

Tim Robinson's bit has always been that dim witted guy that is quick to anger (or get excited), and it always cracks me up.

I loved The Detroiters and wish it was still on.

Anyway, I Think You Should Leave was pretty good. I died laughing at the end of episode 1. I feel like if you aren't sold by the end of the poop receipt then he is not for you, but if you are a fan of off humor dumb wit, I highly recommend checking the show out.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyone watch The Society on Netflix? It’s about a group of high school kids finding out that everyone in their town is gone. It sounds a bit dumb but I thought it was fun. Unfortunately nothing really got explained in the first season so I’m hoping they ordered a season 2.

It held my attention a lot more than some of the boring garbage that's kinda popular on TVIV like Riverdale, at least.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I watched the first episode of The Society and found it pretty silly. The most preposterous part was all of the kids cell phones still worked but only to call/text each other. That just struck me as lazy writing

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well, it's not actually a post-apoc story. They're not even on Earth.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 18, 2019

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

just started fleabag s 2

fantastic so far (2 episodes in)

e: started catch 22 as well. is ok but nothing to write home about

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 19, 2019

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Just finished Fleabag and it's really sweet at the end. I would be fine if they continued it or ended the series there, to be honest.

Am watching Travelers season 2 and I am annoyed at the social worker. The situation would be strange for anyone but he hasn't really made the best decisions.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mrenda posted:

When I was seven or eight or nine, stupidly young, a friend showed me his essay that got him an A. It was about him coming downstairs one morning and finding everyone in his home was gone. He searched, he panicked. Then they came back from doing their shopping. Even as a seven or eight or nine year old, stupidly young, I thought it was a dumb story.

I was intentionally being vague and non-spoilery and phone posting so yeah I can see my short description of it sounding worse than it is. One of the plot points in the season was about them slowly finding out what happened to everyone else and there are supernatural elements that kinda echo Lost and the Leftovers.

Spoilers obviously: We find out that the teenagers got kidnapped by a pied piper like person and brings them to a city that looks exactly like their own except that it is placed in the middle of nowhere surrounded by forests and nothing else, and all communication out to the real world doesn't work anymore… except for the aforementioned cell phones, for whatever reason. I'll take that as sloppy writing. Anyway, they later figure out that they can't possibly be on Earth anymore because the constellations they see don't match what they should be able to see, and that they saw a complete solar eclipse when the next one in that area doesn't happen until several years later. They think that they were kidnapped because they started finding weird documents and graffiti that suggested they were being punished for their parents sins. So that's going on throughout the season, and in the meanwhile the story is just about them trying to establish structure in a world without any. The final episode ends with a very short scene showing that people are still alive in the 'real' world and that all they know about what happened was that their kids all died in some tragic accident so the next season if there is one will deal with that.

Ya'll don't have to watch it but I realize my short description of it made it sound worse than it is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I really liked it, fwiw. It's well structured and is surprisingly smart.

I loved the arc with the rich popular guy being forced to mop up after everyone because he has not practical skills. Then he gets depression and everyone reacts by cutting his rations in half. Mint.

It's a good show.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I loved the arc with the rich popular guy being forced to mop up after everyone because he has not practical skills. Then he gets depression and everyone reacts by cutting his rations in half. Mint.

It's a good show.

My favorite scene was the scene when Sam finally gets to the hospital when his friend is going into labor. Him asking her what he could do to help and her saying nothing and then him slowly realizing that "nothing" is exactly what he's gonna be doing now cause everyone thinks he's the dad and he needs to play the part :v:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It's a good show.

One thing I didn't like though, was the villain's involvement in the coup. He brings nothing to the table, and he's horribly uncharismatic. I feel like he's there just because the villain has to be.

Boris Galerkin posted:

… except for the aforementioned cell phones, for whatever reason. I'll take that as sloppy writing.

Maybe, but I assumed it's just the same deal as the electricity and water. Whoever's kidnapped them is keeping stuff running internally.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 19, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

My favorite scene was the scene when Sam finally gets to the hospital when his friend is going into labor. Him asking her what he could do to help and her saying nothing and then him slowly realizing that "nothing" is exactly what he's gonna be doing now cause everyone thinks he's the dad and he needs to play the part :v:

I was surprised we never got any hints as to who the dad was. It has to be one of the popular jocks right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I was surprised we never got any hints as to who the dad was. It has to be one of the popular jocks right?

Going by how she reacted when she was first asked I thought they were gonna go with something like incest rape but (luckily) the later scenes don't really imply that. Honestly I was half expecting the baby to come out with a completely different skin color or something and having that set up to be something for later seasons :shrug:.

Lycus posted:

One thing I didn't like though, was the villain's involvement in the coup. He brings nothing to the table, and he's horribly uncharismatic. I feel like he's there just because the villain has to be.

Maybe, but I assumed it's just the same deal as the electricity and water. Whoever's kidnapped them is keeping stuff running internally.

The way the villain was written was super good though imo. He's not just a dumb loser but he's smart enough to understand that nobody likes him so if he wanted to pull the strings for a bit he'd need people that people actually like to listen to to look like they're calling the shots.

Also about the phone thing, I thought that cell phones worked because of satellites and so if they could text each other then that means they can connect up into space so it made no sense that they could text each other but not 'outside.' But apparently I'm 100% wrong on this.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 19, 2019

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Hizawk posted:

Banshee is one of the best shows. It is a complete show, and my go-to recommendation to everyone.

Nobody I know has said they hated it yet.

Yes. Banshee is awesome. And keeping with Cinemax. The Knick is one of the best shows ever made. But only two seasons....

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

wormil posted:

Barry, S1: Loved the first 2 episodes but finding the rest of the season boring and the characters uninteresting (Henry Winkler excepted, he is killing it). I've watched 5 episodes and am thinking of dropping it. Am I giving up too soon?

Barry is a fantastic show. I'd say give it until the end of the season if you are already through five. The character 'Hank' steals every scene he's in.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
NoHo Hank deserves a prequel/sequel spinoff.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Just finished The Blood and The poo poo episode of Warrior.

Holy gently caress what amazing tv.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Tried watching The Society.

It is a generic teen drama.

:colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Yes. Banshee is awesome. And keeping with Cinemax. The Knick is one of the best shows ever made. But only two seasons....

https://i.imgur.com/XAYP0qo.gifv

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Accretionist posted:

Tried watching The Society.

It is a generic teen drama.

:colbert:

Everything about this show sucks 7x more than the last reason.

i'm half way through episode 2.

e: I've seen enough, that episode was useless.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 20, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Fleabag season 2

I love this show so loving much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Been revisiting Garth Marenghi's Darkplace lately and I have no regrets (regarding my viewing options, at least).