Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I still think Regina works better as “something else”. It’s not like she’s less influential in the plot or less powerful than everyone.

Hard disagree on the magical school trio becoming Precure. The Maho Girls Team is basically a family and those three would disrupt that dynamic and turn it into just an ensemble team.

True, Regina still had her own powers/weapon despite not being able to transform (plus going by the show’s epilogue she’s still technically the 6th member of the DokiDoki team), she also had a hand in creating Parthenon Mode during the final battle along with the other 5 Cures.

Also fair enough in regards to Maho Girls (Haa is basically Mirai and Riko’s daughter and I think even literally refers to them as being like her parents once) but the Trio are still some of my favorite characters in that season regardless.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

heck the reason the final half episode of Maho Girls is so good is cause the family dynamic of Mirai, Riko and Haa were so well developed it made the ending fake out one of the real heartfelt moments of drama

Wait you think the final episode is the one with Kirakira preview? Why now I don't consider that the final episode why do you ask!

Also getting hype for Miku in new Symphogear and Nanoha movie on BD

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The new preview for XV makes me worried something bad is going to happen to Miku and I don't like it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 16: This week we get an entire episode of a sports anime briefly broken up by a magical girl fight and a ploy to sell those accessory makers the writers work into the show every year to kids.

Having a relatively down to Earth episode for Madoka after the galactic adventures of the previous week makes for a nice breather, and it shows how much Madoka continues to want to deal with her family and live up to their expectations. Plus we got more Sakurako, and I'm okay with that (hell, I actually wouldn’t mind her becoming a Cure as I don’t think we’ve ever really had one with her particular character type)

Next week: We return to Canto Bight as Mao/Blue Cat's mystery resumes.

Off the subject but I think the Suite finale may be the only episode in the entire franchise where there is no Precure action whatsoever (they transform at the beginning and end but don’t actually fight anything).

Instead, it just serves as a proper epilogue to the series instead of cramming in one more superfluous fight scene at the end like a lot of modern seasons have (which is a good thing in my opinion and I wish they’d do it more often). It is sort of depressing to consider that Siren can never get her old body back at this point but I suppose her current form does make it easier to blend into her new home if nothing else.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Even if Cure Star/Lord Darknest is a ToQ #1/Zed situation I'm sad we probably won't get anything as cool as Black ToQ#1.

So I was thinking. I know there's apparently a lot of seasons of Precure where a villain will switch sides, even sometimes becoming a Precure (or something similar). Has the opposite ever happened though? Has there been a season with a Precure who turned into a villain, even if it was only temporary? Something like Dark Mercury from PGSM or Leangle from Blade.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Even if Cure Star/Lord Darknest is a ToQ #1/Zed situation I'm sad we probably won't get anything as cool as Black ToQ#1.

So I was thinking. I know there's apparently a lot of seasons of Precure where a villain will switch sides, even sometimes becoming a Precure (or something similar). Has the opposite ever happened though? Has there been a season with a Precure who turned into a villain, even if it was only temporary? Something like Dark Mercury from PGSM or Leangle from Blade.

Outside of some brief instances of mind control that only last an episode or two, no (and as far as one that actually fought against her team the only one I can think of is Cure Gelato from KiraKira). The closest thing to what you’re talking about would probably be Regina from DokiDoki though she’s technically not a Cure per se.

Speaking of DokiDoki I will give the dub credit for one thing, English Regina is absolutely spot on in terms of both the VA and the writing. I also don’t really mind them doubling down on the card theme (changing Rosetta to Clover and Sword to Spade).

Off the subject I am sort of curious what they’ve got planned for Hikaru as despite being Pink she may be one of the least developed members of the team so far.

Maybe there’s going to be a Darth Vader situation later on where one of the NotRaiders (or possibly Darknest himself somehow) turns out to be/be connected with her missing dad (they did that once way back in HeartCatch after all and sort of again later in DokiDoki).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 19, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I know there's apparently a lot of seasons of Precure where a villain will switch sides, even sometimes becoming a Precure (or something similar). Has the opposite ever happened though? Has there been a season with a Precure who turned into a villain, even if it was only temporary? Something like Dark Mercury from PGSM or Leangle from Blade.
That seems like one of those things their style guide would prevent, considering cures can't fight each other at all. There's instances of characters who were formerly cures becoming villains but only when them being cures is something that's only established after they become good guys again. And like one-off instances of mind control. And clones? But yeah, nothing like a character actively betraying the heroes.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's also a hard plot to do well in a kids show so I don't really mind that Precure doesn't do it even if it is a Sentai staple

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well off the top of my head:

-Cure Black & White fought each other under mind control in the second Max Heart movie (it was also a pretty brutal fight that reportedly made more than a few children cry)

-Yes 5 and Smile fought evil clones of themselves (in the case of the former one of the clones even switched sides temporarily before being killed by the film’s antagonist.

-The Fresh Cures technically fought each other once (it was illusion Northa set up to make it appear to them like they were fighting exceptionally strong monsters).

-The HeartCatch team fought their inner selves once as part of a test. There was also Dark Precure but she was an enemy the whole way through and also technically a clone of Moonlight.

-While not a Cure per se and for that matter, not even part of the team until the very end, Regina did technically betray the DokiDoki group twice (once when she was captured and brainwashed by King Selfish and another time willingly near the end after learning the truth about her past and father).

-Phantom from Happiness Charge once turned into a dark version of Cure Lovely and fought the original. Also in the same series, Cure Tender fought against her sister and the rest of the team once or twice while under mind control.

-Cure Gelato from KiraKira once very briefly fought against her team while under mind control.

I suppose you could also technically count the Kiryuu sisters from Splash Star, Eas/Setsuna from Fresh and Twilight/Towa from Go Princess but in those instances all of the actual fights against them happened prior to those characters joining their respective teams.

So no, aside from the aforementioned incident with Regina I don’t believe any Cure (or Cure-like ally) in this series has ever turned her back on a comrade willingly.

Now I would personally love to see a Precure version of AbareKiller (that is, a human or humanoid girl with the same powers as the main team but not beholden to either side, instead just choosing to do whatever the hell she wants) but it’s probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 20, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I wouldn't really call it a Sentai staple, there's only two examples I can think of where a member of the team is an actual antagonist: Burai from Zyuranger, introduced as an antagonist and turns into an ally pretty shortly after, and Naga from Kyuranger, who was given emotions by one of the villains to turn him against the team for a while.

I'd definitely like to see a Naga-like plot in Precure, though if their style guide doesn't allow for it, then that's just how it is.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Forgetting about the true star of Star Twinkle, the Venus of this show if you will

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Forgetting about the true star of Star Twinkle, the Venus of this show if you will

Sakurako is great and I’m glad she seems to be getting more screen time than some of her predecessors. I’d kind of like to see her become a Precure one day but it’s probably not likely.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 20, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

She can hang out with Cure Waon never

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’m not sure if we’ve ever had a character get two focus episodes back to back before. I also look forward to finding out more about Madoka’s future teammate/girlfriend Mao as well.

As for the Blue Cat herself, Mao seems a bit more altruistic than I expected and clearly seems to have some history with Aiwan. I’ll be interested to find out what her deal is.

Also subs are out now for episode 15.

Seems fairly obvious from Ep 15 and Cure Cosmos's design - she's a refugee from the Rainbow Planet who wants her culture's stuff back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Seems fairly obvious from Ep 15 and Cure Cosmos's design - she's a refugee from the Rainbow Planet who wants her culture's stuff back.

She also knows exactly who the Precure are and what their mission is (despite them never running into each other prior to last week’s episode). Plus, she probably could have easily just said “Screw you both” and taken the Sagittarius pen for herself but instead she willingly gave up her prize to Madoka. Either way there’s clearly more to her than just being a thief.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out that she and Bakenyan have some connection as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 20, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

Well off the top of my head:

-Cure Black & White fought each other under mind control in the second Max Heart movie (it was also a pretty brutal fight that reportedly made more than a few children cry)

I think this is the reason no cures can fight rule was made.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think this is the reason no cures can fight rule was made.

As I mentioned there are loopholes to that rule (plus this franchise has arguably pulled some much darker poo poo since then) but otherwise yeah, I think that’s pretty much the case.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If anything the no cure fighting rule has forced them to be a bit more creative with how to handle some of the plots

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm glad Sakurako was in this week's episode to explain to me how archery competitions work because I was 100% the guy sitting there going "Uh her shots were way worse than Nasu's how did they tie?"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As for Star Twinkle 16, this was essentially an episode of a sports anime with a Magical Girl fight thrown in at the end. Still good though and, as I mentioned before, more Sakurako is always welcome (let her be a Precure drat it, she’s great).

Next time we’re in for a heist movie as the Precure team up with Blue Cat (who despite being renowned as an intergalactic phantom thief seems to just be regulating herself to that one planet for some reason, I imagine she has a ship of her own though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 20, 2019

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The scene where Nasu psyched Madoka out of her zone was just a well done scene that would be a great scene in any sports anime. Going from Black and white was an amazing choice

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I know next to nothing about archery, but was that line about just hitting the target being enough to count in competitions true? I always assumed the point was to hit as close to the center as possible.

Off the subject but given the track record of this franchise I imagine that Cure Cosmo(or is it Cosmos?) will be popping up in a few episodes from now, next week's episode will likely signal the beginning of that particular arc. I'd still kind of like it if she didn't join the team right away and instead continued to act as a free agent for a while but I doubt it at this point.

Based on the hair, cat ears, and literal tail it's pretty much a given that Cosmo is going to be Mao at this point, but I'd also accept it if it turned out to be Sakurako somehow and Blue Cat just became a Regina-esque ally instead (she's been in the OP since day one so Cure or not she's clearly going to be important somehow).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 20, 2019

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Larryb posted:

I know next to nothing about archery, but was that line about just hitting the target being enough to count in competitions true? I always assumed the point was to hit as close to the center as possible.

All the information I can find on scoring in Japanese archery suggests that every hit counts equally. From what I can tell, it's often practiced as kind of an artform where developing proper technique is the primary goal and competition is kind of an afterthought.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but I think DokiDoki may have one of my favorite identity reveals in the whole franchise (Mana just kind of randomly outs herself on live TV). I also like that aside from the initial surprise nobody really seems all that shocked to learn that Mana Aida is a superhero. Plus the 6 of them seem to have landed a nice government job at the end of the series which should help with Mana’s future Prime Minister campaign.

It kind of sucks for Jonathan that his fiancée is now two little girls and a baby and can never be returned to normal. In Makoto’s case, even if things didn’t turn out quite the way she hoped at the very least her kingdom was restored and (in a roundabout way) she can now hang out with and fight alongside Marie Ange on a regular basis now.

Seriously, give us a DokiDoki sequel you cowards (or at least a movie), it practically writes itself.

There just seems like a lot of aspects from the ending that could be explored further. For example:

-How are the Precure dealing with being pseudo government employees (and probably national celebrities as well) in addition to their normal day to day lives

-What are the Selfish Trio up to now that they no longer have a leader or base of operations

-What is Makato’s relationship with Aguri and Regina like now that she knows the truth.

-What’s the relationship between Japan and the Trump Kingdom/Republic like (we see in the series epilogue that the Yotsuba Corporation has already started to establish a foothold there)

-How is Regina handling the transition from spoiled princess to a responsible member of the DokiDoki team

And probably more that I’m forgetting, it just seems like there’s a lot more story potential that could be mined from this season as opposed to most of the others.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 20, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2Cnn1Wr1s3I

This fits surprisingly well.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I hope archer rival girl will be back for at least one more episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Looks like you might be right, this is the title of episode 19:

To the Planet Rainbow ☆ The Secret about Blue Cat!

18 sounds fun as well (I kind of hope this is referring to Hikaru’s mom as her family hasn’t really gotten much screen time yet):

Grasp the New Serial ☆ My Mom’s Manga Way!

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 23, 2019

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
e: Rote

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

e: Rote

Thanks for taking care of this so quickly. The last thing we need is yet another rote shitpost in the Magical Girls thread.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Watched a little more Suite Precure, the Fairy Tones remain absolutely adorable with putting tiny little pillows over their heads and saying "This'll keep the Notes from flying out again!" and then their training.

I am also kicking myself for not immediately realizing Pii was actually Noise.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
can we add a note to the rules thread about roteposting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Looks like you might be right, this is the title of episode 19:

To the Planet Rainbow ☆ The Secret about Blue Cat!

18 sounds fun as well (I kind of hope this is referring to Hikaru’s mom as her family hasn’t really gotten much screen time yet):

Grasp the New Serial ☆ My Mom’s Manga Way!

hikaru is the one who narrates the ep titles, so it would seem to be she's talking about her mom? plus her mom being a manga artist would explain hikaru's own interest in drawing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

hikaru is the one who narrates the ep titles, so it would seem to be she's talking about her mom? plus her mom being a manga artist would explain hikaru's own interest in drawing

Sounds good, it’s been a while since we saw her family and it’s nice to see Hikaru finally getting some focus.

Which is ironic considering she’s the Pink of the season but like has been mentioned, I have a feeling they’ve got something really big planned for her later on (for one thing they’ve been really ambiguous in regards to where her dad is and it’s possible there may be some kind of connection between her and Darknest. Those two points may or may not be unrelated).

If they do decide to pull a HeartCatch and have Hikaru’s father turn out to be a member of the NotRaiders then right now my money’s on Garogre (his body sort of looks like armor to me and out of all the generals he’s the one we’ve seen the least of so far).

As for 19, well based on the title and her design I don't think there's any doubt now in regards to Cure Cosmo's true identity (if it wasn't blindingly obvious to begin with that is).

Seriously, you should all be watching Star Twinkle if you're not already. It's really good so far and I don't think I've been this intrigued as to where the plot of a Precure season is going since DokiDoki.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 24, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Star Twinkle 17: This week on Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mao-ne, the show turns into Lupinranger (or Phantomirage) as Blue Cat enlists the team to help her in a mission to recover some treasure, and they come along because the Virgo Pen is there.

The team is able to recover it, but not after a heist that involves giant monsters because of course it does. Mao/Blue Cat has no problem with letting the Cures be seen as thieves, and she didn't seem to be looking for the Pen this time. Though she did react to treasures from Planet Rainbow, which suggests that this alternating leadup to the Fifth Cure/one off episode on Earth pattern will continue for a bit.

Next week: Hikaru gets a focus episode for the first time in a while.

Slightly off the subject but has Miracle Universe (this season’s All Stars movie) gotten released on DVD yet? I was just curious as to how close we are to someone potentially subbing it.

On an unrelated note, have we gotten any word on a release date for the anime version of Magia Record (the Madoka Magica spinoff) yet or is it still just sometime this year?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 26, 2019

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Have there been other mascots that have contributed as much as Prunce has? It feels like he is constantly getting in there and saving the day. I've only watched GoPri and Hugtto, and while Harry is competent he doesn't do as much during fights.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hummy, Tarte, and Mofurun mostly

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Cappy posted:

Have there been other mascots that have contributed as much as Prunce has? It feels like he is constantly getting in there and saving the day. I've only watched GoPri and Hugtto, and while Harry is competent he doesn't do as much during fights.

Tarte literally helped save the multiverse at the end of Fresh and Hummy in Suite was instrumental in them ultimately pacifying Noise at the end.

Also, if you ever feel like watching more Precure shows I’d highly recommend the following:

Splash Star
Fresh
HeartCatch
Suite
DokiDoki

Though to be fair there’s something to like about every season so far even if some are better than others.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 26, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I also feel like the Dokidoki fairies collectively contribute as much as the likes of Hummy and Tarte

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

I also feel like the Dokidoki fairies collectively contribute as much as the likes of Hummy and Tarte

Lance literally has a Kaiju fight (of sorts) against King Selfish towards the end in order to buy time for Mana and the others. It’s not very effective of course but it’s an awesome moment nonetheless.

Also out of curiosity, is Hummy supposed to be a boy or a girl? The subs I saw were sort of inconsistent in that regard.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Hummy is generally accepted to be a girl

The English fandom clings to the idea that she and Mofurun could go either way (despite Cure Mofurun existing...), but Japanese fanart that humanizes both of them lands solidly on "they're girls"