Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
All three movies have little nuggets of good ideas ineptly implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Like the entire concept of VHS is basically that its a bunch of kind of interesting ideas that don't have enough to them to make for full stories. Its telling that the most popular segments are usually the longer ones that tell a fuller story. But for the most part of the anthology series was clearly made in a way to say "Got an idea but no way to make it work? Lets just film it and throw it with some other stuff."

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I liked the evil satan universe one in Viral as well

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Parallel Monsters is sick as hell.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Like the entire concept of VHS is basically that its a bunch of kind of interesting ideas that don't have enough to them to make for full stories. Its telling that the most popular segments are usually the longer ones that tell a fuller story. But for the most part of the anthology series was clearly made in a way to say "Got an idea but no way to make it work? Lets just film it and throw it with some other stuff."
Yeah, but the first film is actually pretty thematically cohesive with how focused it is on gender dynamics.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, but the first film is actually pretty thematically cohesive with how focused it is on gender dynamics.

elaborate

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Timeless Appeal posted:

This is true, and often overlooked. It's also one of my favorite things about the film.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Tart Kitty posted:

Slumber Party Alien Abduction has some amazing sound design if you're watching it with surround sound or headphones.

That's what really stood out most to me about it. The sound is really great, and adds to the chaos of the situation.

That said I think the majority of the first two VHS movies are great. Viral is meh but as a bunch of people have said BONESTORM is really fun. I know Parallel Monsters gets a lot of attention, but it didn't really work for me-the execution somehow seemed both over the top and not far enough for me.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 20, 2019

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

I tried to watching The ABCs of Death tonight and gave up at L or M I think. What a hot mess of shorts.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

alansmithee posted:

I know Parallel Monsters gets a lot of attention, but it didn't really work for me-the execution somehow seemed both over the top and not far enough for me.

To me it felt like it would've been better off as its own film where it would've had the time to really rock its premise. I would've liked to've seen more build up, maybe some initial talking between the Alfonsos and a gradual lead to there's some differences between the worlds to the eventual reveal of the Satanworld's true differences. I wanted to see more of Satanworld. Were the people some human/demon hybrid or something else? I would've liked to've seen more of Satanworld Alfonso's reaction to our world. There's just so much potential to the premise that gets hindered by being an anthology sized story.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
yeah i would absolutely prefer a full parallel monsters film

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Nice V/H/S chat. Just saw the second one. I liked all the shorts except the first, which shockingly (not really) was directed by Adam Wingard. I know people love You're Next and The Guest but I really hate this dude. Like...probably as much as a lot of folks in here hate Mike Flanagan. Also the dog bit in the aliens segment bugged me beyond belief.

Dead And Buried was cool. The leads acting while watching that film was great.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Do people not like Amateur Night from VHS? That is my far my favorite segment of the whole franchise.

It should have stayed a short though. The feature length is awful

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

elaborate

Simplifying a bit but

The first short is about lovely rapey guys who end up getting murdered by a powerful she-monster
The second short is about a guy who's really lovely and not trusting toward his wife and then she has him murdered and escapes
The camping one there's something there but I can't place it
The next one is a lovely guy manipulating women and stealing their alien babies
And then the last one the guys assume the woman can't be a demon and save her but then she is

The whole overarching narratives recovers around men being lovely manipulative sex crazed idiots and women being powerful and luring them into their deaths (aside from one)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Do people not like Amateur Night from VHS? That is my far my favorite segment of the whole franchise.

No I liked it quite a bit, mainly because of the monster. Had no idea there was a feature length version.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I thought VHS was garbage, and I didn't even bother trying to finish VHS 2

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

No I liked it quite a bit, mainly because of the monster. Had no idea there was a feature length version.

It's called Siren and it's... odd. I kind of liked it because it's weird as heck but it's definitely not a great movie. It features a bar where you can buy cocktails that contain the memory of murders (in the form of a leech) and has some other bizarre fairly original poo poo. The acting is mostly real bad though, except for the main villain who is also kind of bad but so hammy that it ends up being fun.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I liked the monster. I felt bad for her when she's telling the one semi-decent guy out of the bunch 'I like you', trying to approach him non threateningly even though she's covered in the blood of his friends, and her heart breaking when he's too horrified by her. Storywise it was okay, but it just didn't pop out to me like some of the others did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ThePagey posted:

Okay, Re-Animator yesterday was incredible so I'm keeping it going and doing Demons today, and so far I don't have much of an opinion--

But! If anyone knows: Does Joe Bob just like, genuinely know every loving thing? Do you think he needs to do research before he talks about this stuff? Is it a teleprompter? I'm just baffled.

You watch anything over the weekend? I've been really enjoying your tour of Horror Thread Essentials.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Simplifying a bit but

The first short is about lovely rapey guys who end up getting murdered by a powerful she-monster
The second short is about a guy who's really lovely and not trusting toward his wife and then she has him murdered and escapes
And then the last one the guys assume the woman can't be a demon and save her but then she is

The whole overarching narratives recovers around men being lovely manipulative sex crazed idiots and women being powerful and luring them into their deaths (aside from one)

Camping one is an inversion of the final girl trope, which is based in passivity. In that one the final girl comes back and gets her own revenge on her own terms, displaying agency instead of just having horrific events happen to her.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

It's called Siren and it's... odd. I kind of liked it because it's weird as heck but it's definitely not a great movie. It features a bar where you can buy cocktails that contain the memory of murders (in the form of a leech) and has some other bizarre fairly original poo poo. The acting is mostly real bad though, except for the main villain who is also kind of bad but so hammy that it ends up being fun.

Weird that they took it in what sounds like a fantasy direction.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Weird that they took it in what sounds like a fantasy direction.

Yeah, basically. The only real connection to the short is the monster, and even she is changed up a bit - she's still a succubus but also a siren sometimes. It's mostly set in a brothel where she is kept prisoner and forced to sing for men, which gives them crazy sexual experiences without ever touching her. The owner of the place takes memories for payment instead of cash - like he'll extract fond memories of your mother or something and you then completely forget them. The memories are then sold in cocktails at the bar, consuming one gives you that memory as if it were your own. Also one of the employees is a gorgon. A lot of it doesn't make sense but it's an interesting mess and at least they didn't go the generic easy route.

The first like 10 minutes are painful, it's a bunch of really bad actors being douchebros at a bachelor party. I almost turned it off but it gets better.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 20, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

COOL CORN posted:

Simplifying a bit but

The second one always struck me as kind of "Err?" Like, the dude isn't overtly abusive or anything. Yeah, he's distrustful of her and holding some past thing over and maybe that's a sign of something more sinister in their relationship. But also maybe she really did steal his money and do something bad in the past considering she was plotting to murder him the whole time? I can absolutely see how you draw the first reading but I cant dismiss the latter.

And like the last one the dudes are stupid dude bros but they're actively trying to help and aren't doing anything lecherous.

I don't know. Its certainly there in some of the segments and if I actively look for it I can see it with others, but it feels like maybe something we're forcing when maybe its just symptomatic of how misogyny is viewed so differently in the short time since VHS was mad. I'd buy into the idea of there being more there if there was some kind of thematic payoff for the wrap around narrative guys being gross rapists.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought VHS was garbage, and I didn't even bother trying to finish VHS 2

Most of everything in the VHS series is garbage.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Most of everything in the Blumhouse series is garbage.

I agree VHS sucks too tho

Tonight I'm popping in...the Horror Express! For the first time!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

It's a proud day for me, the Official Horror Express Ambassador of the thread. Thank you to Kvlt! and everyone else who made it possible.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The second one always struck me as kind of "Err?" Like, the dude isn't overtly abusive or anything. Yeah, he's distrustful of her and holding some past thing over and maybe that's a sign of something more sinister in their relationship. But also maybe she really did steal his money and do something bad in the past considering she was plotting to murder him the whole time? I can absolutely see how you draw the first reading but I cant dismiss the latter.

Agreed. My take on that one she'd probably been acting suspicious which was why he was distrustful and she had been plotting with her lover to murder him the entire time. Since I've been through an abusive relationship
and despite all the progress I've made getting myself back to me, I'm still a bit hyperaware to the signs. Case in point, Twilight had my head shooting off warnings like the Robot in the original Lost in Space. I just wasn't getting that warning vibe off him. The ending just cinched it to me that the wife and her lover were just that amoral to essentially play with prey before murdering him.
I can understand why someone would interpret otherwise, but I just didn't see it like that.

Kvlt! posted:

:neckbeard: I can't wait to hear what you think about it!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Agreed. My take on that one she'd probably been acting suspicious which was why he was distrustful and she had been plotting with her lover to murder him the entire time. Since I've been through an abusive relationship
and despite all the progress I've made getting myself back to me, I'm still a bit hyperaware to the signs. Case in point, Twilight had my head shooting off warnings like the Robot in the original Lost in Space. I just wasn't getting that warning vibe off him. The ending just cinched it to me that the wife and her lover were just that amoral to essentially play with prey before murdering him.
I can understand why someone would interpret otherwise, but I just didn't see it like that.

Yeah, to me what works best about that piece is that I can see EITHER side of that relationship being abusive. Its POSSIBLE that the guy is controlling and gaslighting and that the wife's decisions to cheat on him and murder him are done out of desperation to escape his abuse. But it seems equally possible that she's the one using him, lying to him, cheating on him, stealing from him, and plotting to murder him. I feel the piece is really ambiguous about it. When the "did you take money from my wallet?" stuff first starts up I see both possibilities of him being untrusting and her being sketchy. When the end happens and you realize that she has been cheating, lying, and plotting his murder it seems to kind of push things more towards her being the bad guy to me.

If you view the whole V/H/S piece as a statement about misogyny or abuse from men, then that would push the piece in the other direction for me. But I don't think the wrap around, demonic possession, or the camp killer pieces really fit the "theme" either without kind of forcing them in.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 20, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I the only one who thought the Suspiria remake was kind of bad? So many people, ones I generally consider having good taste have said it's great and I just don't get it. Thought it was extremely corny and pretentious.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Am I the only one who thought the Suspiria remake was kind of bad? So many people, ones I generally consider having good taste have said it's great and I just don't get it. Thought it was extremely corny and pretentious.

I don't think I'd call it outright bad, but I definitely fall more on your side. It had some really good moments but not enough of them and I wasn't a fan of the overall look. I understand not wanting to just imitate Argento but I didn't like the route Guadagnino decided to take there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

veni veni veni posted:

I saw it in theaters the night it came out shortly after watching the original, and yeah, I also thought it wasn't a good remake and it wasn't a good standalone movie either.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I wouldn't say outright it was bad, but it just didn't click with me at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I will say this. The scene with Olga in the empty dance room was loving insane and maybe even made it worth watching. other than that, I can't think of much else good to say about it.

Tilda Swinton in old man makeup was also just distractingly awful. After watching it, I read something about how they tried to dupe people into thinking it was some actual old guy, which made me laugh. Because 5 seconds into the movie I was like "what is this Benjamin Button poo poo?" I didn't know it was Tilda Swinton until I paused it and X-Ray came up, but it's extremely obvious that it's old person makeup from the second you see it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had no idea it was Swinton until I read the cast list afterwards and didn't even think anything odd about him so I guess I'm just easily duped.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

You're not the only one. So very disappointed.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I had no idea it was Swinton until I read the cast list afterwards and didn't even think anything odd about him so I guess I'm just easily duped.

To be fair I am extremely sensitive to old man makeup/CGI changed faces. It's like my least favorite thing, so maybe I am overly critical of it. poo poo like fake Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One is like torture to me lol.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

None the plots worked for me and that type of crazy ending didn’t feel earned. The final dance scene was poorly edited and distracted with a non dancing character, so you really couldn’t tell if it was any good. (Climax knows how to make a killer dance sequence) I did laugh at Dakota’s makeup for that scene made her look like an angry bird. I doubt anyone would still be talking about it if it didn’t have the Suspiria name.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Basebf555 posted:

Oh yea? I have some ground to make up in the challenge thread and I've had that on my list for a while now.

It’s up in YouTube and it’s a blast
https://twitter.com/chunk_widebody/status/1130487023725371394?s=21

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
just watched Let's Scare Jessica To Death

talk about a big mood piece

it owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The Suspiria remake was hot garbage except for THAT end scene, which was excellent and for me made the movie worth it.

I also like how it differed from the original rather than imitated it. If you have to do a remake, do it like Suspiria.