Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Even if it's not printed on the bottle, most distilleries will tell you what the ppm of their whisky is if you ask. Not a 100% indicative measure, but at least can give you a general idea of what to expect in terms of peating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Enigma posted:

The good breweries near me are jumping off the IPA fad and going full into dark, barrel aged beers, and it's glorious.

This reminded me I need to go and have a good cry about Weyerbacher. :cry:

How many people got interested in Irish whiskey first? Having had a few each of bourbon, scotch, and rye now, I have to say that Irish whiskeys have a milder flavor that feels like it should be an easier gateway.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have to drink nothing but Irish whiskey for awhile to develop a taste for it otherwise all I can think is that I could be having bourbon instead.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Yuns posted:

While I enjoy a peaty smoky scotch on rare occasion, I don't always want a drink that tastes like a ocean campfire that was doused with iodine. I enjoy Speyside scotches a lot more. Recently I've been drinking Balvenie 15 year single cask sherry finish and Deanston Virgin Oak, both of which are really good. I'm mostly a bourbon guy nowadays and George T Stagg 2018 is so well balanced. It's just a great bourbon. Given the price though, Old Forester 1920 is my regular drinker.

We just did the old forester tour and I have to say I was underwhelmed by their selection. None of it was bad, it was all very drinkable. It just didn’t really get me excited. I have a decent selection of bourbons (like 40
bottles) but my daily go to bottles are:
Weller OWA
Eagle Rare
Middle west spirits pumpernickel rye

Although nothing comes close to the deliciousness of Angels Envy rye. That poo poo is incredible and I limit myself to once a week to make sure I don’t run out.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Quiet Feet posted:

This reminded me I need to go and have a good cry about Weyerbacher. :cry:

How many people got interested in Irish whiskey first? Having had a few each of bourbon, scotch, and rye now, I have to say that Irish whiskeys have a milder flavor that feels like it should be an easier gateway.

I think Irish whiskey was the first liquor I drank neat and realized that it was approachable and could taste good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

In my experience the massive IPA fad is over. IPA is not going away anytime soon but the days of breweries just doing ultra hopped IPA's are long gone. Anywhere where this is still the case is at least 5 years behind the curve.

Right now there's been a lot of attention for sour beers like lambics and farmhouse ales, all kinds of fruit beers, wheat beers, stouts and porters, barley wines, a lot of different barrel aged beers, etc.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Quiet Feet posted:

Recently tried Laphroaig for the first time and I'm not going to say I disliked it but it is not something I would drink straight. It's like drinking liquid smoke. A little mixed in with something else is fine but, yeah, think its going to be a while before I finish this.

I hated Laphroaig when I first drank it. Islay whisky has always been my focus - I loved peated malts. I was also an adherent to the 'no water, or just a drop' mantra - so I was completely thrown when I disliked it.

Someone online told me to water it down - and their advice was to equal it: 30ml water, 30ml scotch - which I thought was some sort of travesty. But I did, and it worked - I really enjoyed it. Over time, I reduced the water, and now not only do I drink it neat (or with the tiniest drop), I drink a lot of it. It's one of the staples of my scotch collection.

I'm not saying the same will happen for you, but I wanted to throw the idea your way in case you had the same experience I had.

Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Bruichladdich etc are all big and smoky or peaty, but there's something about Laphroaig (I think it's the iodine) that's overt. There are plenty of more subtle peated scotches - Caol Ila and Old Ballantruan would probably be my picks. Or if you don't mind the taste of Laphroaig but just want something a little softer, then the Quarter Cask is a much smoother expression.

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

spankmeister posted:

In my experience the massive IPA fad is over. IPA is not going away anytime soon but the days of breweries just doing ultra hopped IPA's are long gone. Anywhere where this is still the case is at least 5 years behind the curve.

this isn't true at all, it's just the predominant style of IPA has shifted from bitter, high IBU IPA to sweeter more approachable IPA w/ mostly late hop additions for aroma and low bitterness. they still use a shitload of hops, more than ever probably

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My point is that there is a lot more to choose from now. You can't get away with just doing IPA as a brewery anymore.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

We just did the old forester tour and I have to say I was underwhelmed by their selection. None of it was bad, it was all very drinkable.

I keep reading how 1920 is the next sleeper, until it becomes the next McKenna maybe. Signature is solid, but for the price I go for other bourbons usually.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Anyone else try the Stagg Jr this year? I picked up a bottle and it’s 127 and change and super mellow. I remember having it a couple years ago and not being impressed. But this bottling is fantastic.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Bandit posted:

Anyone else try the Stagg Jr this year? I picked up a bottle and it’s 127 and change and super mellow. I remember having it a couple years ago and not being impressed. But this bottling is fantastic.

Very good in a Manhattan.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You spent 127 and change on a bottle you weren't impressed with in the past? What do you spend on bottles you were impressed with?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

zmcnulty posted:

You spent 127 and change on a bottle you weren't impressed with in the past? What do you spend on bottles you were impressed with?
127 is the proof not the price.

java
May 7, 2005

The Bandit posted:

I had just picked a bottle up about two weeks ago. Hadn't ever really tried Stagg Jr. before and was really blown away by the richness of flavor. It's certainly a treat.

Also, the bottle shop near me has Elmer T Lee in stock. Thinking about possibly picking up a bottle but holy poo poo, it's not cheap.

java fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 20, 2019

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

java posted:

Also, the bottle shop near me has Elmer T Lee in stock. Thinking about possibly picking up a bottle but holy poo poo, it's not cheap.

I had it at a bar and wasn't impressed. That said, the stuff somehow goes for around $120 on the secondary, so clearly someone enjoys the hell out of it.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Vox Nihili posted:

I had it at a bar and wasn't impressed. That said, the stuff somehow goes for around $120 on the secondary, so clearly someone enjoys the hell out of it.

ETL is supposed to be the budget mashbill 2 bottle
When you can pick up a bottle of (the higher end) Rock Hill Farms or Blanton's for half the price there's a problem

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Crazy I remember when ETL was easy to find and $30. Pretty solid for that price, over $50 today a hard pass.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

ETL is supposed to be the budget mashbill 2 bottle
When you can pick up a bottle of (the higher end) Rock Hill Farms or Blanton's for half the price there's a problem

Yeah, though Ancient Age is the real "budget bottle" for that mashbill. ETL is sort of in an odd spot being a "limited!" bottle that is meant to also be a budgetish option. Fortunately my local place occasionally gets Rock Hill Farms (what an odd name) so I don't feel any need to dig around for ETL.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'll be in Edinburgh this weekend. Any must visit whiskey spots/bars?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Hanging Bat was my favorite when I visited. Ghillie Dhu was neat also.

I was there as a dorky tourist, so the Scotch Whisky Experience was enjoyable too. I did the upgraded tour that included a flight.

I'd also heard good things about Cadenhead's, but didn't make it to the shop during my short time in Edinburgh.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 21, 2019

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I am so happy that the all IPA all the time fad is over, so much variety to choose from now!

I will say that I’m totally addicted to milkshake IPAs though, love that mouthfeel!

To stay on the whisky topic, the best whisky I’ve had recently is a sample of willett rye small batch, 4 year, ~111 proof. Really really solid!

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

To stay on the whisky topic, the best whisky I’ve had recently is a sample of willett rye small batch, 4 year, ~111 proof. Really really solid!

I really really like Willett rye. Their standard bourbon is surprisingly mediocre, particularly for the price. Pretty bottle though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

java posted:

I really really like Willett rye. Their standard bourbon is surprisingly mediocre, particularly for the price. Pretty bottle though.

Yeah the bottle is great, the bourbon is meh.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

What would you do with a half a bottle of scotch that you realized you're just not into? I got some Glenmorangie 18 a year or more ago and it's by far the most expensive bottle I've bought since I got into whiskey a few years ago, so I've only brought it out on special occasions. But, eh, there's way cheaper bottles that I like a lot more. I'd feel stupid using it in mixed drinks though.

Its not awful, just kinda meh.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Quiet Feet posted:

What would you do with a half a bottle of scotch that you realized you're just not into? I got some Glenmorangie 18 a year or more ago and it's by far the most expensive bottle I've bought since I got into whiskey a few years ago, so I've only brought it out on special occasions. But, eh, there's way cheaper bottles that I like a lot more. I'd feel stupid using it in mixed drinks though.

Give it to a friend who likes it better?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

I don't have any friends who like whiskey. :(

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Keep bringing it out for people on special occasions and buy stuff you drink for yourself

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Get better friends.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Quiet Feet posted:

Sometimes I don't like a whiskey at first but it grows on me over time but a year is plenty of time to know if you like something. Give it to a neighbor or coworker. Have a party. I got rid of a bunch of cheap random booze by throwing a big party and inviting questionable people.

wormil fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 15, 2019

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Experiment with blending various nearly empty single malt bottles. Don’t dump the entire contents into bottles, use vials or lab media bottles. Play with percentages.

java
May 7, 2005

So did BSM disappear?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

Experiment with blending various nearly empty single malt bottles. Don’t dump the entire contents into bottles, use vials or lab media bottles. Play with percentages.

This is probably what I'll end up doing. We just don't know enough people into booze really.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

java posted:

So did BSM disappear?

Yes, but not really. It has moved over to MegaFireBalls, another related group. There are a few offshoots and a mewe group, whatever the hell a mewe is.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Anyone know what happened to Rock Hill Farms bourbon? An online store has it listed as discontinued and the one bottle I've seen lately had a really stupid price.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
RHF is on one of the front cars of the hype train. Any non-bottom shelf Buffalo Trace bottle is basically tatered to oblivion now.

It’s going for ~$150 on secondary market, which means people can flip it for a quick $75 profit or so. It’s in the same mash bill as Blanton’s, as is Elmer T. Lee.

I’ve seen a few bottles of Blanton’s around in MN the last few months, but zero ETL and RHF.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Even regular BT is hidden behind the counter on a "by request" basis at the local Total Wine the once a year they actually have any in stock. Eagle Rare might as well be a myth.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I've moved over to rum and Irish whiskey for the time being.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't get the obsession with BT, it's okay, but there are better bourbons for less. I've been drinking a lot more beer. A beer store opened in the neighborhood and they get new stuff almost every day and a bar, love that place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Buffalo Trace is 20 euro here which is about as cheap as they come without going into absolute rotgut territory.