Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dumbfuck would order a nuclear strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Also our entire military leadership apparatus being told "you're the best ever you're America's real heroes don't ever change" for two (or more?) generations would lead to complacency and incompetence in any organization. Let alone an organization that has actually sucked.

In an actual invasion I think we'd be able to conquer the country and declare victory much like a bloodier Iraq invasion, but after that would be a hundred times worse than Iraq. In Iraq it took a bit for people to hate our guts, and even when they did they hated each other more. Iran would present a much more unified, hostile, and capable populace against the occupiers.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Casimir Radon posted:

https://twitter.com/redanblacattack/status/1130494165534597122

:tinfoil:

edit: also I imagine Iran would do rocket/missile attacks against KSA, UAE, and Israel along with Iraq mobilizing their militias again

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 20, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

There is no chance he wouldn't if things don't go the way he planned.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lol literally the only allies we're going to have left is KSA and Israel

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Iraq is still our Vietnam.

We’re writing a whole new song with Iran.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

colachute posted:

Iraq is still our Vietnam.

We’re writing a whole new song with Iran.

Korea, then?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

FAUXTON posted:

Korea, then?

No. Iran.

We aren’t following footsteps. We are bombing our own baybayyy

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Afghanistan is forever Korea.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Hopefully this poo poo doesn't go down when im in Washington DC end of the month.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Best Friends posted:

Also our entire military leadership apparatus being told "you're the best ever you're America's real heroes don't ever change" for two (or more?) generations would lead to complacency and incompetence in any organization. Let alone an organization that has actually sucked.

In an actual invasion I think we'd be able to conquer the country and declare victory much like a bloodier Iraq invasion, but after that would be a hundred times worse than Iraq. In Iraq it took a bit for people to hate our guts, and even when they did they hated each other more. Iran would present a much more unified, hostile, and capable populace against the occupiers.

Yeah, Iraq had a lot of internal infighting and the taliban held regions of Afghanistan were pretty rural and in areas that allowed us to leverage our tech advantage to an insane degree.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Reminder that the tail end of Lindsey's career in the reserves involved him averaging about a day and a half a year of service and somehow still getting promoted to full bird.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

We will nuke the entire solar system before we lose a war to some brown people. We haven’t lost Iraq or Afghanistan because those aren’t actually over. Can’t lose if the game never ends.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
FN will be kind enough to call it a police action from day one

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Iran invasion is about hastening the endtimes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The yearly Obelisk climb starts in a few minutes.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/local-news/us-naval-academy-herndon-monument-climb-class-of-2022

WE ARE LIVE: https://youtu.be/1HR3fj-dAw8

https://www.washingtonpost.com/vide...m=.b36e865c24a4

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 20, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Greatest Country in the history of the World

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

With an expanding hepatitis A outbreak across the state of Florida, local public health officials say they are ‘selectively deciding’ when to inform the dining-public of their potential health risk. According to local news sources on May 7, 2019, Pinellas County, Florida’s Health Department is debating when to inform Floridians which restaurants have been identified for their hepatitis A risks. This is unfortunate news since Florida's Health Department has already confirmed 1,677 hepatitis A cases during 2019. And the pace of new cases continues to increase.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Look closely people, you're witnessing the first people who will die by nuclear torpedo.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

EBB posted:

Look closely people, you're witnessing the first people who will die by nuclear torpedo.

Good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

EBB posted:

The Iran invasion is about hastening the endtimes.

That's how they're going to sell it to millenials

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Listen, I have sexier ways to watch a bunch of greased up teens writhing around.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Listen, I have sexier ways to watch a bunch of greased up teens writhing around.
Climbing to the tip of a phallic symbol no less.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

the article posted:

Legend dictates the one to cap the obelisk will be the first admiral of their class. In the tradition’s eight-decade history, that has yet to come true.

:shuckyes:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Now do it for DUIs/spousal abuse.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie lost bad in the first subpoena fight at the district court, on the Mazars subpoena. All of the Trump lawyer arguments were basically tossed out for being bad and the judge didn't even put a stay on the decision, even knowing it would get appealed.

https://twitter.com/MikeScarcella/status/1130576506273587201?s=19

https://twitter.com/desiderioDC/status/1130579063704346627?s=19

quote:

"It is simply not fathomable that a Constitution that grants Congress the power to remove a President for reasons incl. criminal behavior would deny Congress the power to investigate him for unlawful conduct—past or present—even without
formally opening an impeachment inquiry"

Donnie's lawyers tossed up some dumb bullshit about LOL CONGRESS SHOW ME WHAT LEGISLATION THIS IS FOR and the judge was like "uh... there's a lot of legislation this could be for and this subpoena is good, gtfo"

quote:

Indeed, Plaintiffs [Trump] have cited no case since Kilbourn from 1880 in which the Supreme Court or the D.C. Circuit has interfered with a congressional subpoena—because it either intrudes on the law enforcement prerogatives of the Executive or Judicial branches, seeks personal information unrelated to a legislative purpose, or demands records that lack “pertinency.” This case does not merit becoming the first in nearly 140 years.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 20, 2019

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I find it pretty awesome that Donnie's lawyer, Jay Sekulow, is currently represented by TWO lawyers. It's like a legal matryoshka doll and they need every single one of them.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1130581322160906242?s=19

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i think i have a good idea

ireland should be allowed statehood

think of all the gop support itd get

that'll be the extra kick brexit needs to go full blown crazy

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i think i have a good idea

ireland should be allowed statehood

think of all the gop support itd get

that'll be the extra kick brexit needs to go full blown crazy

Nah, the KKK was historically anti-Catholic

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

nuts

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gotta remember that Americans tend to dislike and distrust Catholicism. Him being Catholic was the major reason JFK nearly didn't get elected

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Most people just look at catholics now as generic christians. They're not, because of the mountain of dogma and poo poo, but most non-catholics really don't give a gently caress these days anyhow unless you're brown.

Klan wouldn't give much of a gently caress these days.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

RFC2324 posted:

Gotta remember that Americans tend to dislike and distrust Catholicism. Him being Catholic was the major reason JFK nearly didn't get elected
I can't imagine this is true of anyone under 40. Distrust of Catholic institutions, sure, what with rampant sexual abuse, but the average Catholic is likely regarded as no different from a follower of another of the dozens of other denominations. But then I wasn't raised religious and it's all hocus pocus to me, so who knows what religious folks were taught.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Depends on what area of the country you're in.

I grew up in a non-Atlanta part of Georgia and Catholics were definitely treated with about as much suspicion as anyone who declared themselves an atheist.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Klan wouldn't give much of a gently caress these days.
They can't even get along with each other for short periods of time, so I doubt this.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They don't need to get along, just gradually realize their target populace is shrinking.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cugel the Clever posted:

I can't imagine this is true of anyone under 40. Distrust of Catholic institutions, sure, what with rampant sexual abuse, but the average Catholic is likely regarded as no different from a follower of another of the dozens of other denominations. But then I wasn't raised religious and it's all hocus pocus to me, so who knows what religious folks were taught.

Thats why I specified that Catholicism is disliked and distrusted. I've only seen Catholic used as an excuse for racism, but distrust of the church as a whole(which tends to include the congregation as a group, but not individuals) is still a thing.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Thats why I specified that Catholicism is disliked and distrusted. I've only seen Catholic used as an excuse for racism, but distrust of the church as a whole(which tends to include the congregation as a group, but not individuals) is still a thing.

Yeah, there are definitely some weird misconceptions.

I was raised Catholic. When I lived in Louisiana, I had a buddy who asked if Catholics drink actual blood in church.

Despite the unbelievable temptation to play along, I broke the news that Catholic mass was even more boring than his Protestant denomination.

News:

Iran quadruples production of low-enriched uranium

Our steadfast ally Saudi Arabia is ready to help us fight Iran

President Trump directs former WH counsel to defy congressional subpoena

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

For law goons- I had thought that a subpoena was "you are instructed to appear". Is it more invited/reccomended?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stravag posted:

For law goons- I had thought that a subpoena was "you are instructed to appear". Is it more invited/reccomended?

(note: not a law goon)

Congressional subpoenas are really weird. Those you can sort of ignore, because the only enforcement mechanism is Contempt of Congress, which usually means nothing. It's not a good *idea* to resist one, but if you have valid lawyering behind your reasons for not appearing/producing, the most Congress will generally do is yell a lot. Maybe they'll start fining you and yell about jailing you, but that takes time, is a pain in the rear end, and usually requires court action. Generally, you don't want to be a dick about avoiding a Congressional subpoena.

It would be a *very very bad idea* to dodge a subpoena from anywhere else. State court, federal court, state police, federal police, etc. That puts you in the judicial/executive branches and they have a *whole lot* of ways to make you comply with their subpoenas that Congress doesn't have.