Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
they should switch up the starter types one of these gens imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm comparing GoT more to WWE's Money in the Bank. Though where one of the Women's titles ended up probably puts wrestling over GoT now.

Fire types are the best.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gay Horney posted:

I wrnt wkth piplup because I didn't think they'd skimp out on fire types for the third Gen in a row.
notable ghost/psychic/bug/dark types in Gen 4?

Honchkrow
Mismagius
Vespiquen
Drapion
Skuntank
Bronzong
Weavile

There's some solid choices in Gen IV.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

Your options for a Fire-type are *EXTREMELY* limited in Sinnoh; in Diamond and Pearl, Ponyta was literally your only choice for a Fire Type if you didn't choose Chimchar (outside of trading). Platinum adds Houndour and Magby as options, so you're not quite as screwed if you want a fire-type.

I'm pretty sure at this point that I'm the only person that's played Gen IV and wasn't bothered by the lack of Fire-types. :v:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Vandar posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point that I'm the only person that's played Gen IV and wasn't bothered by the lack of Fire-types. :v:

I have used one fire type Pokemon ever, Charizard. Though I did have a Flareon on my team in Let's Go, they never saw usage.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nasgate posted:

I have used one fire type Pokemon ever, Charizard. Though I did have a Flareon on my team in Let's Go, they never saw usage.

It’s always came across as a weird complaint to me. You never see anyone complaining about type availability in other gens. :shrug:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

people complain about ice being late game

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vandar posted:

It’s always came across as a weird complaint to me. You never see anyone complaining about type availability in other gens. :shrug:

people were complaining about ghosts in gen 1 for years, especially since the only ghost line has that secondary poison type that makes them useless at their one job

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-912805316

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-912813346

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 20, 2019

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Dabir posted:

people were complaining about ghosts in gen 1 for years, especially since the only ghost line has that secondary poison type that makes them useless at their one job
Along with Ghost being physical, the only Ghost move with base power being lick and the tiny little detail that psychic is immune to ghost in gen1

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I think we can all agree that Gen 1 was a complete mess of a game by any objective standard.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
These days, with how much type coverage Pokemon can get it's definitely silly to complain about imo. But holy hell yeah gen 1 was bad for bugs and ghosts.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

It took until like gen V for Bug types to get much attention. Even Bug Buzz and X-Scissor weren't introduced until gen IV.

Edit: Beaten, kind of.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Give Ice and Water super effectiveness on each other

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Bug type best type

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Nasgate posted:

These days, with how much type coverage Pokemon can get it's definitely silly to complain about imo. But holy hell yeah gen 1 was bad for bugs and ghosts.

I'm more willing to forgive gen 1 for things like that since it's not a game in the pokemon franchise, it's a standalone JRPG with the gimmick that your party was made of the same goblins and Chocobos you normally kill for exp. So the Bug-Types are supposed to be bad since they're just the level 1 Goblins from outside the starting village. the Gastly line is just the gimmick monster from a gimmick dungeon. It's not till after release that they realized that they had essentially created a cast of characters where each was at least someones favorite and they thus had to make them more equal in usability.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Farecoal posted:

Give Ice and Water super effectiveness on each other

Nah, Ice should resist Water and possibly be super effective against it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ya know Durant is faster then it looks, or mega medicham is way slower then I think

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

RatHat posted:

Nah, Ice should resist Water and possibly be super effective against it.

You ever run water over ice cubes??

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

make ice super effective against water and make brine and scald super effective against ice

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hopefully we get our fire/water Pokemon in not-Scotland, because otherwise we're gonna have to wait for not-Russia.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Ice's problem is defensive, it needs more resistances. Besides, making it even stronger offensively would just get everyone to keep picking Water types with Ice moves.

You could buff one of the weakest types like Bug or Poison to make them SE against Water and NVE against Ice, for example.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

make Ice resist Poison, Poison SE against water, and scald SE against ice

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

galagazombie posted:

I'm more willing to forgive gen 1 for things like that since it's not a game in the pokemon franchise, it's a standalone JRPG with the gimmick that your party was made of the same goblins and Chocobos you normally kill for exp. So the Bug-Types are supposed to be bad since they're just the level 1 Goblins from outside the starting village. the Gastly line is just the gimmick monster from a gimmick dungeon. It's not till after release that they realized that they had essentially created a cast of characters where each was at least someones favorite and they thus had to make them more equal in usability.

I appreciate this sentiment, but don't think it holds up. The first garbage Pokemon you run into turn into a badass bird and rat respectively.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nasgate posted:

I appreciate this sentiment, but don't think it holds up. The first garbage Pokemon you run into turn into a badass bird and rat respectively.

I can't say I've ever referred to Pidgey or Rattata as "badass"

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Iron Crowned posted:

smdh, you should adopt the Joey Outlook on Life

also he was talking about Pidgeot and Raticate

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Iron Crowned posted:

A picture of Alolan Rattata is in the dictionary next to the word badass

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Ignite Memories posted:

make Ice resist Poison, Poison SE against water, and scald SE against ice

and brine too

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

and brine too

The Arctic exists.

For the moment, anyway.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Beachcomber posted:

The Arctic exists.

For the moment, anyway.

have they tried to pickle the Arctic

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

have they tried to pickle the Arctic

Wikipedia posted:

Brine rejection is a process that occurs when salty water freezes. The salts do not fit in the crystal structure of water ice, so the salt is expelled.

Since the oceans are salty, this process is important in nature. Salt rejected by the forming sea ice drains into the surrounding seawater, creating saltier, denser brine. The denser brine sinks, influencing ocean circulation.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

If we’re talking about buffing weak types, I still want Grass to get some improvements so it can stand with Fire, at least. I don’t hold any illusions of it ever being as good as Water.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
[wholly uncontroversial] Water needs to be weak to Ice and Poison

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Geostomp posted:

If we’re talking about buffing weak types, I still want Grass to get some improvements so it can stand with Fire, at least

It's back.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rattata gets Hyper Fang at level 14 and Raticate gets Super Fang at 41, it's pretty beefy for what it is.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dabir posted:

Rattata gets Hyper Fang at level 14 and Raticate gets Super Fang at 41, it's pretty beefy for what it is.

Yeah, those fang moves keep Raticate relevant for much longer than it really should be in-game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

One thing X really has going for it is Fletchling. It seems like every Pokemon game has a "it's a bird" and a "it's a varmint" Pokemon. But Fletchling actually evolves into something cool, instead of just a bigger normal bird. I hope future games do that too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Hawlucha is the best bird

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Ugh, Harley. He's always been both annoying and an offensive stereotype, but the PUSA dub makes him even worse.

Pokemon Orienteering was fun, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Iron Crowned posted:

Hawlucha is the best bird

Porygon2 tho