Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Narzack posted:

It's the yearly time for us to take a few moments, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5VSi7YNr4Y, and discuss the great tragedy that is Eric Jacobus not being a leading man.

Thank you for reminding about these. Haven't watched them in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Holy poo poo Police Story kicks rear end

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Jonah hex was a bad movie all around. josh Brolin wears a grey confederate cape thing the whole movie :(

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Its got like 3 sequences that could each be a finale to an action film, its loving nuts jackie crammed so much in that movie

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

watched man of tai chi. great fight scenes but the lead has zero charisma. keanu is awesome as the bad guy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

watched man of tai chi. great fight scenes but the lead has zero charisma. keanu is awesome as the bad guy.

Tiger Chen has known Keanu since he did choreography on The Matrix, so I think it's nice that Keanu went with him for his directorial debut. But no, he's probably not a leading man in the end. Nice to see that he's got some sort of role in John Wick 3 though.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Thank you for reminding about these. Haven't watched them in a few years.

I really think that he is leading man material. He's handsome, he emotes well, good comedic timing, fantastic physicality. I don't know why he isn't hella sought after for more than just stunt work in video games(which is really cool, though). I wonder if it's like the situation with Brad Allan, where he just isn't interested in being an actor. Just happy as hell being a stunt dude. But I think Eric definitely can carry a role.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yes, it bloody well does.

Basebf555 posted:

Tiger Chen has known Keanu since he did choreography on The Matrix, so I think it's nice that Keanu went with him for his directorial debut. But no, he's probably not a leading man in the end. Nice to see that he's got some sort of role in John Wick 3 though.

It seems like the best thing to happen for a martial artist's career is to be in a movie with Keanu Reeves. He's such a good dude.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Narzack posted:

It seems like the best thing to happen for a martial artist's career is to be in a movie with Keanu Reeves. He's such a good dude.

Speaking of which yall ever see the video of Keanu Reeves losing his poo poo when he got to meet Sonny Chiba? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iLMELzA6j8

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Uhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1126886637844271104?s=20

Gotta try not to get too hyped because nothing seems definitive yet.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Speaking of which yall ever see the video of Keanu Reeves losing his poo poo when he got to meet Sonny Chiba? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iLMELzA6j8

Keanu is such a geniune dude, and Sonny still looks pretty good. How old is?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Narzack posted:

Keanu is such a geniune dude, and Sonny still looks pretty good. How old is?

80! Although that vid was during the press junket for JW1 so that was 5 years ago. I've been a Sonny Chiba fan my whole rear end life, I saw The Street Fighter and Karate Kiba when I was super young (and definitely shouldn't have watched them lol).

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Which is the one on the boat where he pulls a dude's nards off?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Narzack posted:

Which is the one on the boat where he pulls a dude's nards off?

The Street Fighter. In the second one he stabs a guy with a gun and in the third he punches a man in the back of the head so hard his eyeballs pop out.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 11, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Shadow is cool. Story is meh but there's a big cool setpiece near the end, and the aesthetic is very pretty

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you have Cinemax (or I guess its on HBO streaming stuff outside the US) I encourage you to watch the show Warrior.

It is a show created by Jonathan Tropper (one half of the team that created Banshee) and Justin Lin.

It is based on an old Bruce Lee concept about a martial artist coming to the wild west.

quote:

Set during the Tong Wars in late 1870s San Francisco, California, the series follows Ah Sahm, a martial arts prodigy who immigrates to San Francisco from China and becomes a hatchet man for the most powerful tong in Chinatown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_(TV_series)

If you've watched Banshee you kinda know what to expect. Lots and lots of cool fights. If you haven't watched Banshee, you really need to do that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrBling posted:

If you have Cinemax (or I guess its on HBO streaming stuff outside the US) I encourage you to watch the show Warrior.

It is a show created by Jonathan Tropper (one half of the team that created Banshee) and Justin Lin.

It is based on an old Bruce Lee concept about a martial artist coming to the wild west.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_(TV_series)

If you've watched Banshee you kinda know what to expect. Lots and lots of cool fights. If you haven't watched Banshee, you really need to do that.

Is there heaps of naked people? Otherwise it isn't really carrying on Banshee's legacy of rad fight scenes and heaps of naked people.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
People are either fighting or being naked (not simultaneously, yet iirc) for a significant portion of each episode's runtime...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

People are either fighting or being naked (not simultaneously, yet iirc) for a significant portion of each episode's runtime...

if it's simultaneously, then it's a Netflix show. That's definitely the kink of someone there.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Eastern Promises: the series?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Looks like there's another nutso * Has Fallen movie coming our way: Angel Has Fallen. Even though he seems to be in a lot of crappy movies, I still like Gerard Butler, so I'll most likely see this one, too.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
He's still got great screen presence... Den Of Thieves was better than it had any right to be

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Pu78CzSOw

Watched TheRaid2 last night, and thanks to this news item from a while back, my inner pedant kept ruining the aluminum bat fights/beatings because, oh horror, THEY DID NOT USE THE CORRECT PING!!!!!

Shut up, brain. Just enjoy the movie.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
I was shocked by my enjoyment of Den Of Thieves. I ain't great but it was a drat entertaining watch and way better than I expected.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo, Nick Sobotka(The Wire) is the half-brother of Liev Schreiber. Never knew that until I saw him listed in the cast for Den of Thieves and noticed his last name.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Disposable Scud posted:

I was shocked by my enjoyment of Den Of Thieves. I ain't great but it was a drat entertaining watch and way better than I expected.

Straight up perfect trash. And better-than-perfect sound.

E: just realized that in comparison the sound in JW3 didn’t even make an impression.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 21, 2019

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hey we discussed John Woo but no one mentioned Face/Off so I just gotta say Face/Off loving rips.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I am going to assume that 'rips' is a positive thing and totally agree. In fact, I got into an argument just yesterday at work about it. I love it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Narzack posted:

I am going to assume that 'rips' is a positive thing and totally agree. In fact, I got into an argument just yesterday at work about it. I love it.

Rips is good and also "slaps" is apparently also good. That's what the young people are using these days I guess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it’s pretty much said by millennials and older.

Kids call good poo poo “fire” as evidenced by the kids in the store yesterday calling coke fire.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hey we discussed John Woo but no one mentioned Face/Off so I just gotta say Face/Off loving rips.

Yes it does!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Basebf555 posted:

Rips is good and also "slaps" is apparently also good. That's what the young people are using these days I guess.

Any piece of art can rip or slap, but only songs can be bops, bangers, or jams.

Face/Off, however, is all of those things.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Face/Off is amazing because it's another Nicolas Cage movie where he's allowed to be loving insane. Those are the best movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bogus Adventure posted:

Face/Off is amazing because it's another Nicolas Cage movie where he's allowed to be loving insane. Those are the best movies.

Cage talks about Face/Off at about 9 minutes in this video and it's pretty great how fully aware he was that he was gonna get to do all his crazy poo poo but in a big blockbuster movie that was gonna make a ton of money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_WDLsLnOSM&t=695s

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Face/Off is incredible because it has two of the most over the top actors in the biz doing impressions of each other for two hours.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It also, of John Woo's Hollywood work, best preserves his Hong Kong style of action direction.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

It also, of John Woo's Hollywood work, best preserves his Hong Kong style of action direction.

This is the key. I know Hard Target gets a lot of worship 'round here, but it's not terribly Woo-ish. I think Broken Arrow is closer to his HK style than Hard Target.

Although, as far as Wooishness is concerned, Mission Impossible 2 is also a strong contender

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Basebf555 posted:

Cage talks about Face/Off at about 9 minutes in this video and it's pretty great how fully aware he was that he was gonna get to do all his crazy poo poo but in a big blockbuster movie that was gonna make a ton of money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_WDLsLnOSM&t=695s

This is incredible

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bogus Adventure posted:

This is incredible

Never let anyone tell you Cage doesn't know what he's doing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's so great to me that he feels like he's never gotten to be a Castor Troy throughout a whole movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ruddiger posted:

Face/Off is incredible because it has two of the most over the top actors in the biz doing impressions of each other for two hours.

I can't even tell you how many times I've seen the movie and I still find myself blown away by the fact that the theatrical cut is as long as it is. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing - it's just that ambitious action films have a bad habit of getting hacked to pieces in editing to meet an "acceptable" runtime a lot of the time.