Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JeffT417
Oct 15, 2012
That 80 series is incredible. Pretty much my dream truck. Please post driving impressions, especially about how the transmission/clutch feels on those. I imagine it shifts like a 90's Wrangler or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KakerMix posted:

While it is wearing aftermarket 2-piece wheels it did come with the original silver steel wheels, which are also in excellent shape.

You might already know this, but those look like JAOS wheels, in which case I imagine you can get a good chunk of change for them. Pretty desirable among the JDM Toyota guys.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

JeffT417 posted:

That 80 series is incredible. Pretty much my dream truck. Please post driving impressions, especially about how the transmission/clutch feels on those. I imagine it shifts like a 90's Wrangler or so.

If it’s even half as good as my boss’s turbo diesel 60 series posted earlier your imagination is way off. It’s very good.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, I want that. It's slim pickings if you want a manual and the last few I looked at had corrosion or some other sort of damage.

That one looks pretty much perfect.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
By the way, I learned something lame the other day - I asked Mat about seat availability (like could he buy extra seats for me and ship them inside a van) and he told me that apparently west coast ports don't allow any "extra" stuff/cargo to be packed with the vehicles? Like no extra seats, no spare sets of wheels, etc. Kinda dumb, and surprising.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, that green house is gonna be brutal in Florida, tinting will help some but it would be expensive.

Unless someone from up north buys it then it won't be that big of a deal.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My friend sent me a pic of an R34 in the DFW area... One of the grandfathered Motorex cars?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Charles posted:

My friend sent me a pic of an R34 in the DFW area... One of the grandfathered Motorex cars?

I like how you assume the best case :allears:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mtmd posted:

Man I love the way Delicas look. My girlfriend texted me this picture from a local brewery today:

Also was behind a Super Custom Limited with tags from Yotaimports yesterday but never stopped long enough to safely get a picture.

The L300 Delicas are my favorite for how they look, and compared to the Toyota HiAces I like the way they drive better, though that might be down to the 5 speed manual.

DJ Commie posted:

Wow that thing is beautiful. Glad you have the original keys, is that key style shared with the US models?

edit: I'd totally buy that rear drawer set if you pull it out

Looking it doesn't look like USDM 80s got these sorts of keys, no. USA might have had to deal with standard cut keys instead of cool square ones :smug:
Will be leaving the shelf system in the back for the next buyer. Value added!

JeffT417 posted:

It's this big smooth hand of god like experience. The transmission is direct and smooth, you have to make an effort to push and pull it but it feels correct, it feels right. There is no rubbery-ness or notchy feeling, it's just a direct smooth solid feel. Acceleration is 'substantial'. The whole thing feels like an incredible solid mass, it's heavy but doesn't wallow. It's tight, solid, and gently caress-off big but not in an empty way. By father in law has a new Ram pickup and while that is big it feels empty somehow, hollow or something. This Cruiser is big but like it has to be big to contain whatever it is that makes a 'Land Cruiser'. It's super comfortable too, Toyota cloth in the 90s is choice.

dphi posted:

You might already know this, but those look like JAOS wheels, in which case I imagine you can get a good chunk of change for them. Pretty desirable among the JDM Toyota guys.

They are, and no I didn't know they were JAOS. I did know that these types of wheels are pretty sought after though! Thanks for letting me know. I can't seem to easily find what kind they are specifically, JAOS VICTRON is still a name used by them on a bunch of different wheels, and the 'Excel' ones look very similar but they have vertical slices in the radial supports.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

By the way, I learned something lame the other day - I asked Mat about seat availability (like could he buy extra seats for me and ship them inside a van) and he told me that apparently west coast ports don't allow any "extra" stuff/cargo to be packed with the vehicles? Like no extra seats, no spare sets of wheels, etc. Kinda dumb, and surprising.

I heard this too, but the set of 5 steel wheels I had sent to me were transported strapped down in the back of the Land Cruiser. They weren't moving at all and were extremely secure, and made it through just fine. This is the second time I've had luck with strapped down extras in the back of the cars making it.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Jesus, that green house is gonna be brutal in Florida, tinting will help some but it would be expensive.

Unless someone from up north buys it then it won't be that big of a deal.

They have sunshades integrated into them my guy, you said the same thing about the LiteAce. They always have separate sunshades, these aren't Teslas :v:

Charles posted:

lol no, odds are extremely high that it is a rolling contraband car driven by someone who doesn't know any better or doesn't care to. I wish the guy luck!

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

That is actually standard operating procedure for Ro/Ro shipping AFAIK - has to do with a combination of liability and complicating customs clearances.

If you want a bunch of stuff a container is probably the way to go, but it adds additional expense (and headache). Have heard pallets can be a cheaper alternative for bulky stuff, but don't know more about it than that.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

KakerMix posted:

They are, and no I didn't know they were JAOS. I did know that these types of wheels are pretty sought after though! Thanks for letting me know. I can't seem to easily find what kind they are specifically, JAOS VICTRON is still a name used by them on a bunch of different wheels, and the 'Excel' ones look very similar but they have vertical slices in the radial supports.

I did some searching around and although I found a few Russian auctions for these wheels, there was no model name listed. They don't seem to be super common. Nice wheels though, I'd totally run those on a truck if I had one but I'm a sucker for multi-piece wheels.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Got this report on a prado I was looking at and the bolded part made me laugh

jcd posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, can't open hood, transfer case very slightly oily, front tires at 40% rears at 70% no cracks, no spare, no leaks mold or rust in cargo area, undercarriage light surface rust only, boots ok, body as is in diagram, fender arches area paint uneven, original color black, windshield chips small, seat covers installed and small tears, can't see underneath, dashboard 2cm tear in passenger side pocket area, ceiling liner slightly dirty but ok, passenger power window switch missing, right side power window switch cover missing, some other interior pieces missing, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, center diff lock ok, lights ok, mirrors ok, windows ok, wipers ok

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 16, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Got the 94 Delica polished up and washed, though I'm waiting for the box o' parts to arrive so I can put the altimeter and thermometer pod back on the dash before it goes up for sale.

24,000 km on the Rugger but it wasn't having an easy time keeping it's battery charged. Much like our old Prado, I figured it was the belts. Considering the 89 Jimny we had also had its original belts on it was a reasonable guess. Yep, OG belts. On first glance the timing belt looks good, but it's got a whole heap of micro-cracks. The other belts were in rough shape, worse one being the one on the right there, the alternator belt that also drives the fan. Flushed the coolant too because why not, had to take the radiator out anyway.

:hellyeah:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have 2 vans arriving at the house in the morning.

May have Prado sold don’t want to say more until things are final.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I learned on Friday that there are a handful of five speed fulltime 4wd long wheelbase kz hiaces (used as commuter vans) and now I know what I need.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

That 80's an odd girl compared to the aus ones- Didnt get the 50L aux fuel tank by the looks of it (AU trucks have a 95 main + 50L sub to give em 145L total capacity) and the only 80's that got part time 4wd were the DX's with the old 1HZ. The turbo's were exclusively constant 4wd!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Got my two vans delivered at the house this morning. Why I bought these well let's just say I don't drink anymore for a reason.

Delica looks cool, 5 speed, ice cold A/C. Stuck it in the backyard it needs a deep clean. 24k actual confirmed miles. Oh also it has hubcaps they are inside I guess they took them off for shipping. Rear A/C controls about the neatest thing so far, no cool moon view windows like Kaker.

Fargo has bumps and bruises on the outside BUT HOLY poo poo wait til you see underneath, it is a museum piece. Not a speck of rust dirt or oil. It is amazing. And it is a blast to drive! I got the hang of the column shift in a few minutes. Hanging right out front it just scoots along, very cool. Now what I will do with it or who I will sell it to no idea. A/C is not blowing cold. 14k actual confirmed miles. Has a brand new battery but it is dead, sitting in the driveway on a charger right now, I had to get to work I will spend more time going over them tonight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Does that Delica have a slider on the....left? An actual useful slider for left-hand-drive countries?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yes on the left, Fargo has sliders both sides

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

everdave posted:

Yes on the left, Fargo has sliders both sides

*goes to check bank balance*

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

beep-beep car is go posted:

Does that Delica have a slider on the....left? An actual useful slider for left-hand-drive countries?

Every single JDM van will have a door on the left. Having it on the right is not so common, but like everdave's Fargo the commercial/industrial vans typically have them on both sides. Consumer/luxury vans will only have them on Japan's most useful side, left, as they drive on the left.
All kei vans will have doors on both sides as well owing to their commercial use nature.
Opposite for USDM/ rest of the world vans until in the 2000s when everyone decided that having dual sliders made the most sense.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Look underneath the Fargo...I mean it is just beautiful. Whatever business had this just kept it in meticulous mechanical condition. Battery is carefully labeled as being replaced 300 miles ago, I assume tires were replaced same time as they seem brand new (Falken, as is on Delica, same on Land Cruiser).

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Geez

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Every single JDM van will have a door on the left. Having it on the right is not so common, but like everdave's Fargo the commercial/industrial vans typically have them on both sides. Consumer/luxury vans will only have them on Japan's most useful side, left, as they drive on the left.
All kei vans will have doors on both sides as well owing to their commercial use nature.
Opposite for USDM/ rest of the world vans until in the 2000s when everyone decided that having dual sliders made the most sense.

Dammit, that's right. almost 40 goddamned years old and I'm still spacing my lefts and rights sometimes.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Christ everdave, if I can find a hiace like that I'll be happy! That undercarriage looks factory new.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Christ everdave, if I can find a hiace like that I'll be happy! That undercarriage looks factory new.

One thing I will not do is touch a vehicle with ANY rust. Cars don’t rust where I live (for the most part) and I’m sire not importing one that has it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A wise man; rust is cancer.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Land Cruiser Prado is officially sold, will be shipping it to new owner in California. Great truck, it will be missed.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Skyline at port

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
Nice. I have a soft-spot for the R33 styling. RB25DE I'm guessing? 4wd or rwd? Will be a fun cruiser!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Single turbo, RWD. I’m excited about it mainly because it is completely stock radio/steering wheel/exhaust. So many are modded and not in a good way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Relevant to thread: https://mikeshouts.com/japans-kei-truck-garden-contest/

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

everdave posted:

Single turbo, RWD. I’m excited about it mainly because it is completely stock radio/steering wheel/exhaust. So many are modded and not in a good way.

I guess the reason he (and myself) presumed NA is because of the hubcaps, and the (relative) expense of the turbo manuals. I'm surprised you got one at auction for less than like 400k yen or something. Looks clean dude

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

fingerling posted:

I guess the reason he (and myself) presumed NA is because of the hubcaps, and the (relative) expense of the turbo manuals. I'm surprised you got one at auction for less than like 400k yen or something. Looks clean dude

Everyone was surprised. Saturday night before Golden Week!

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

Hell yes this is pure peace.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Someone just paid drat near 7000 usd for a super custom I was looking at. :monocle:

For that price I'd expect to get two or three hiaces, or one land cruiser. Insanity!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Someone just paid drat near 7000 usd for a super custom I was looking at. :monocle:

For that price I'd expect to get two or three hiaces, or one land cruiser. Insanity!

What auction number was it?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
65350 at mirive.

Never heard back last night so I assumed I lost, but when I checked it this morning it was listed as sold for ~6750 usd.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 29, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have had at least 5-6 vehicles this past week already have bids well over my target bid when I asked for translations. There was an auto Delica that was already at 900 6 hours before auction don’t know what it went for. Bid 1.5 mil on a G wagen and it didn’t sell reserve was 3.5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

65350 at mirive.

Never heard back last night so I assumed I lost, but when I checked it this morning it was listed as sold for ~6750 usd.

With 112,775 km on it that's a completely normal price imho, if I wanted a HiAce for $2200 bucks I'd expect 200,000 km on the odometer, rust, or 2WD.

If I was looking at Land Cruisers with similar mileage and in similar condition I'd expect to pay over 10k USD, and that's assuming it's automatic.

everdave posted:

I have had at least 5-6 vehicles this past week already have bids well over my target bid when I asked for translations. There was an auto Delica that was already at 900 6 hours before auction don’t know what it went for. Bid 1.5 mil on a G wagen and it didn’t sell reserve was 3.5

What were the mileages on these though? Like that's everything as far as where the price target is. A grade 3.5 anything will have a wide price gulf between 100k km and 200k km, the grade is only a suggestion of what the price should be, the mileage is the real driver.