Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:siren: The Fiesta is Live! Have fun! :siren:

Welcome to the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2019 thread! In its seventh year running, this thread will be the SA headquarters for the Four Job Fiesta, equal parts to keep us from taking over the FF Megathread as well as a single point of action for trading tricks and trips, cursing Gilgabot's lack of mercy, or whatever Fiesta-related discussion you may want. Much like the years before, we hope to bring lots of victories, lots of donations, and lots of berserkers from the Berserker Tree!

Quick Links: Goon Discord, Official Website, Official Blog, Official Subreddit (yes, yes, I know, but it's official)

So Kyrosiris, what IS the Four Job Fiesta?

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal. Hard Mode ups the ante, allowing Gilgabot to pull from past Crystals - you can, for example, get another White Mage from the Fire Crystal, or a Berserker from the Earth Crystal! In 2012, the Berserker Risk option was added as a way to pump up the difficulty even more - for every $10 raised prior to the Fiesta's start, every Berserker Risk participant was assigned a mandatory Berserker! Enough was raised to stick every participant at Risk with at least one Berserker, and SA member Trasson ended up with what was considered the nastiest team of the Fiesta - a Knight and THREE Berserkers! 2013 renamed Hard Mode to "Random Mode" which is honestly more accurate, and added the new Team 750/No-750 and Natural modes, adding extra fun and challenge. 2015 upped the stakes and added the much-beloved Chaos Mode, which was what we all wanted from Random all along - any job is possible from any crystal, and duplicates are possible, leading to a handful of Chaos Riskers ending up with :black101: FOUR. :black101: FREAKING. :black101: BERSERKERS. :black101: (RIP Everhate, The Chosen One) 2016 graced us with Pure Chaos, which is Chaos without repeats and with Mime and Freelancer in the character pool. 2018 gave us the interesting and GBA-only Forbidden mode - at the cost of permanently losing one of your other three jobs, you can earn the right to use one of the GBA-only jobs - Oracle, Gladiator, or Cannoneer!

While the challenge is not one regularly "recommended" for those new to Final Fantasy V, there have been several goons who challenged the Fiesta as their first playthrough of the game and triumphed! That said, the challenge will definitely require a bit more aptitude and awareness of the game's mechanics and neat combos than a game where you plow through everything with !X-Fight, !X-Magic, and other powerful combos (that is, unless Gilgabot is merciful and gives you those combos). It goes a long way to help snap the decision paralysis that plagues a lot of first-time players of FFV, though.

Well, I've never played FFV before. Should I try anyways?

Absolutely! Like I said, lots of goons have earned their first victory in FFV through the Fiesta - either combinations of the restricted job access giving them real focus to finish the game, or getting advice from the litany of Fiesta veterans that haunt this thread and Discord, or for whatever reason. Plus, FFV is fun, and you're playing for charity (via either your donations or runs that you finish that trigger other people's pledges)!

How's this all work, then? What're the rules?

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

Note that for Natural and Chaos runs, you use Freelancers until you have obtained your assigned jobs. A Ranger/Samurai/Dragoon/Chemist Chaos run would use Freelancers until you get the Black Chocobo, and a White Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Chemist Natural run has Faris as a Freelancer until the same.

So who the hell is Gilgabot?

Gilgabot is the Twitter bot that does the backend paperwork of the Fiesta. You tweet keywords to him (@FF5ForFutures) at certain thresholds in your playthrough and he will do whatever those correspond to. For example, you can tweet "@FF5ForFutures #Water" to note that you've reached the Water Crystal. Gilgabot will then reply (maybe - he hit the daily tweet limit several times last year) with your Job assignment for that crystal. You can see a full list of his commands here. (link this to letsplaying's commands page when the site's back up)

Twitter? Ewww, I don't do that social media bullshit.

Tough. Don't blame Gilgabot, blame yourself or God. If you wanna Fiesta (at least officially - no one's stopping you from doing your own using random.org or similar), you gotta tweet. Worst case scenario, you make a throw-away account you use just for the Fiesta and then ignore it. Many goons do this every year.

:siren: NOTE THAT IF YOU HAVE A PROTECTED ACCOUNT, YOU WILL HAVE EXTREME DIFFICULTY FIESTA-ING OFFICIALLY. Consider making a throwaway account. :siren:

Help! Gilgabot gave me a shittacular job combo and $BOSS is kicking my rear end!

Relax. Trasson got through the entire game and even the optional superboss Shinryu in 2012 with a Knight and three Berserkers. You can beat the focus of your ire too, with some strategy and tenacity. That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013 and 2014, too!). You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game. Other resources include Alcharagia's Primer to FFV's Jobs, Sulla's Solo Single Class Challenges, Mega64's Resource Page, the FFV Algorithm Guide (for SNES and GBA), The Spirit of FFV (has built-in "translation" of names/spells between versions)! We'll all be prattling away on Discord!

Science is scary and I can't use !Mix, the most powerful ability in FFV! Help me!!!!

Relax. Learn the true power of :science: here. Don't glitch Exdeath! (especially since your victory won't count :lol:)

Alright, I'm in! What do I do?

Get on Twitter and send Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) a pre-registration tweet. This will look something like "@FF5ForFutures #regpurechaos #BERSERKERRISK". Then, just wait for the Fiesta to start!

What's New for 2019?

Quite a few things! Firstly, #regforbidden is being split into #regadvance, which lets you use the GBA jobs, and #forbidden, a modifier similar to #natural (don't play natural) that makes you give up a random job when you enter the Void. RK also did a new round of polling, and will be rebalancing #regpopular in accordance to that new polling. Lastly, there is a new gimmick this year - we just need to wait and see!

Trivia and Infographic Nonsense!

Every year, RevenantKioku puts out an infographic for the year's Fiesta, covering a lot of trivia and data, distribution of classes, stuff like that (as well as how fair and balanced Gilgabot was, which he always is). They're pretty neat, and are timg'd below - click the year (or expand the image, but they're really big) for big.

2011 Infographic:

2012 Infographic:

2013 Infographic:

(Thread) 2014 Infographic:

(Thread) 2015 Infographic:

(Thread) 2016 Infographic:

(Thread) 2017 Infographic:

(Thread) 2018 Infographic:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

High Quality Goon-Made Fiesta Fanart!

2014 Fanart

(by Bloodwulfe)

(also by Bloodwulfe)

(by Asiina)

(again, by Bloodwulfe)

(by Shoehead)

(yup, still Bloodwulfe)

(Bloodwulfe: still the best)

(THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING TO A_Raving_Loon)

Can of Worms is rad as hell and has made multiple FFV Advance patches, including the source of the above gif.
Fiesta State Mod(no mechanical changes)
FFVA Balance Mod (actual mechanical changes) (changelog)

2015 Fanart

Mega64 takes on the trials and tribulations of the Omnizerker.

(What's Flarnith's art doing here?!)

(neongrey needs to be sure you heard him correctly.)

2016 Fanart

(Asterism has to face some tough choices.)

(Koobes decided to correct Mid a bit.)

(Let's just call this a work by Edward_Tohr and move on with life)

2017 Fanart

(Mikl is having some problems with the weather.)

(Ablative assures me that, just like Ronka, it can only go up uP UP!!)

(Orange Fluffy Sheep demonstrates the value of Butzcoin. BUY IN NOW)

Ablative reminds us of that which we must sacrifice, because the numbers are infallible.)

(Bad Seafood has opinions on robots.)

2018 Fanart

(Aerdan lets us know what's up.)

(Orange Fluffy Sheep has important information that might SAVE YOUR LIFE.)

(Mega64 reminds us that the FBI is full of poo poo.)

(Archenetron is ready for suffering in The Run.)

(Obang Metho has relevant memes.)

2019 Fanart

(Admiral Joeslop pays homage to the King of All Superbosses)

(I fully admit I have no idea what FeyerbrandX was riffing here, but it's rad)

(Azza Bamboo pays off an interdimensional threat)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 27, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

HERE THERE BE :toxx:ES

Aerdan posted:

I will donate 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. Feel free to poke me on Discord if you're not sure about a given moniker, I guess.

Poque posted:

:toxx:

$20 per run that utilizes a near-to-full-power Brave Blade (I'll say 145+ attack power to allow for some accidental runs) on an Equip Swords Geomancer in their fight against NED.

I will require a screenshot showing the equipment screen, such as the one above, and a screenshot of the Geomancer attacking NED in the battle (or TreeDeath I GUESS). Caps at $100.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I will donate one cent for every broken rod (as tracked on the Discord!) and 10 cents for every speed trap fallen for, also tracked on the Discord. I will limit this donation to $60 unless I hit a windfall before the Fiesta ends.

derra posted:

:toxx:I pledge to donate 5 dollars (once per person, max $50) for everyone who meets all the following requirements:

1) Triple Crowns&
2) with a total party level under 100 and&
3) with no individual party member having a level greater than 30.

Include a screenshot of your final levels!

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.

Ritznit posted:

Alright, time for me to bust out a :siren: DONATION PLEDGE :siren:

I will donate 5$, up to 50$ (unless I find more money in the seat cushions when I move next week) for every goon who triple-crowns without Time Mage, Chemist, Bard or Beastmaster. As far as I understand, those are the most effective options for crazy boss shenanigans. I know there are others, and I don't want this to be completely impossible, just no playing with the super broken stuff. I'm happy to donate for anyone who is willing to go through a bit of extra hassle.

Please provide screenshots of your full party with their equipped jobs and kill screens for the bosses! Extra thumbs up from me if you give a quick rundown of how you beat the bosses.

Godspeed. For a good cause! :black101:

agradine posted:

Haven't seen any name based toxxes, so I guess I'll be the first.

:toxx: In honor and memory of the sadly now defunct Let's Play 25 30 Years of Final Fantasy thread by the Good Friends, Ryan and Claire, I will donate $1 for every goon that completes a run with their main character called "Butes" (as pronounced in your finest Southern California accent), up to a total of $25 $30. :toxx:

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: My Love For You is Like a Truck :siren:

Last year I bit off a bit more than most people could chew with my donation incentive. This year I'll keep it simple.
  1. For every goon who kills NED with two Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $5.
  2. For every goon who kills NED with three Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $25.
  3. For the first goon who kills NED with four Berserkers in their party, I'll donate $125; for any subsequent goons, $50 (while supplies last).
Only one goon can claim the big money. For all other runs, in any combination, the cap is $200.

Doom Goon posted:

Oh, time to fulfill one and make one! Only Can of Worms and myself completed this one last Fiesta:

And I'm doing it again: $1 per goon up to $20 for every goon that completes a run from now on to the end (must complete a normal run first) using Can Of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer. Make sure to emptyquote this post on a win so I can see it! Oh, and please don't use the FFVFJF site (probably not cool crowning on impossible runs), although if you want to slip a victory into another run's #Up that's probably okay. It's up to you if you want to spoil the Jobs you get or not but I'd recommend it to reduce grinding and magic level confusion. Also, I'll probably wait until next year to actually donate so I can kill two birds with one stone and water that tree.

Funktastic posted:

So I guess it's time for my donation pledge!

Since my first time beating FFV was through the 4JF I'll donate $1 per person (max $20)who also has their first run of FFV through the fiesta!

May be doubled later depending on my money situation.

Bufuman posted:

I hereby pledge to donate $2 on behalf of any player that complete a run with any duplicate jobs in any mode where it can happen (EXCEPT UPGRADE, I'm looking for honest luck-of-the-draw duplicates, though I'll also accept runs with dupes through the Job Fair), with a cap of $50. However, I'll add an extra $10 outside of the cap if any player completes a run with four of the same job (again, no Upgrade). I'd like to go with more, but sadly bills are kind of tight lately. But like Admiral Joeslop on his pledge, I may be willing to bump this number up if my finances improve before the last day of donations. Double up, people!

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 4, 2019

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Colour me excited. I'll do another run of this. Maybe I'll risk it up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

already????

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm so hyped

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Arist posted:

already????

Hilariously this is the latest I've ever posted a year's thread. :v:

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Ground floor, motherfuckers! I signed up for 7 runs last year and completed 6, so my goal is to finish 7 or more runs.

And since I should hopefully be getting back to work soon, I'll try and donate for each run as well!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

its that time again

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

:toxx:I'm gonna complete atleast two runs this year. :toxx:

Last year I ended up dropping my run so I feel like I need extra motivation.

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013
Oh boy I sure am ready for that BERSERKER RISK!!

Not quite sure what my donation goal is gonna be. Probably something small and death-based cause I'm still broke. :monocle:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I am ready to zerker risk. I am ready for another run of WHM and 3 berserkers like last year if need be.

:black101:

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Hell yessssss super stoked this year, gonna actually stream my run for my idiot friends who haven't touched FF5. They will know the joy (or suffering), and I'll be eminently drunk. Should be a solid summer.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Hell yeah, finally getting in on the ground floor for a fiesta instead of suddenly realizing it's running sometime in July.

What registration options do people find the most fun? Or the most "fun"?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Awww hell yes. Gonna actually finish a couple runs this year too.

FFV is still the best FF game by a substantial margin.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

I am so ready. Maybe this year I'll actually complete more than one run!

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Running FFV for my first time last year with WHM, zerker, samurai and geomancer was pretty fun, looking forward to it again this year! Maybe I'll even have time to do it more than once!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
'Tis the season.

For those interested, there's currently a Free Enterprise-style randomizer for FF5 called Career Day that's in beta testing. Here's the link for more info.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Time to zerker risk. Missed out on it last year because I started late.

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013
Actually you know what, screw it. I nearly finished two runs last year, I think I can definitely do that this year.

:toxx: I will TC at least two runs. :toxx:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Sakako
Dec 31, 2013

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I will donate 10¢ per run for every Bartz named Bitch, poo poo, Jeez, or other similar moniker, posted with screenshots of appropriate lines, up to $20. Feel free to poke me on Discord if you're not sure about a given moniker, I guess.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
This toxx is COMPLETE!!

$20 per run that utilizes a near-to-full-power Brave Blade (I'll say 145+ attack power to allow for some accidental runs) on an Equip Swords Geomancer in their fight against NED.

I will require a screenshot showing the equipment screen, such as the one above, and a screenshot of the Geomancer attacking NED in the battle (or TreeDeath I GUESS). Caps at $100.

COMPLETERS: Jose Valasquez, Darkoni, Fenrir, MagusDraco, jaclynhyde, Orange Fluffy Sheep

Poque fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 1, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

where do u get the game i've never played this one

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Super No Vacancy posted:

Buy a GBA cartridge, buy the PSX anthology that has it, buy the port on steam or your smartphone, or :filez:.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kyrosiris posted:

Buy a GBA cartridge, buy the PSX anthology that has it, buy the port on steam or your smartphone, or :filez:.
(GBA cart is best version for Fiesta.)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

GBA "cart" with the sound patch on a 3ds was cool and good.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm ready to jerk out with my zerk out.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Kyrosiris posted:

Fair warning/caveat emptor that the Steam/mobile version, while being by far the most readily (legally) accessible, does have a few balance changes that make the Four Job Fiesta slightly less user-friendly.

(also its graphics are bad)

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

This year I will actually finish more than one run. First run will be SNES Classic with GBA translation patch, and then second will be Matrix because I hate myself.

Third run will be proper GBA with speedup. I won't say more than 3 runs because if I finish 3 runs I'll be happy.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Aw yiss, here we go again.

(hopefully this year I will have the time to actually finish a run)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

WilliamAnderson posted:

This year I will actually finish more than one run. First run will be SNES Classic with GBA translation patch, and then second will be Matrix because I hate myself.

Third run will be proper GBA with speedup. I won't say more than 3 runs because if I finish 3 runs I'll be happy.

There's the project demi version which removes all the cutscenes and has optional 2x/4x exp and abp mods and "bosses give exp and abp" mods. Gotta deal with the rpge translation though which kinda sucks

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it is, but i think i'm gonna, sigh, play snes at least once for project demi and see how that handles

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Time to do the fiesta on my phone again :getin:

RitzBlues
May 30, 2014
Yet another use for my CFW Switch! Hopefully the speedup function doesn't suck. I'm out of school now, but working full time, so I don't know how many runs I can commit to. Any nominations for Butz's name or ideas for pre-fiesta challenges?

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

KataraniSword posted:

Fair warning/caveat emptor that the Steam/mobile version, while being by far the most readily (legally) accessible, does have a few balance changes that make the Four Job Fiesta slightly less user-friendly.

(also its graphics are bad)

Obligatory annual update to the list:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ff5fjf/comments/br2ner/differences_between_mobile_iosandroidsteam_and/

Also obligatory tl;dr:
*Most glitches/exploits fixed.
*Classes hit with some version of a nerf bat: Chemist, Time Mage, Blue Mage, and especially Beastmaster (though if you had to pick a handful of classes to nerf...)
*Classes somewhat buffed: Berserker, Bard, Geomancer (arguably it cuts both ways at times)
*For Ninjas, Dancing Dagger/Double Lance is the new Double Lance/Chicken Knife
*Bosses are a bigger pain, mostly due to the Heavy tag causing status effects to wear off much quicker, also full-party magic damage splitting not being quite as extreme.
*Also React scripts counter commands and not actions, so good luck against Omega and Rugwizard!
*Enemy sprites have been updated and look amazing, all other graphics look worse (though I'll say in general it tends to look a lot better in play than it does in any screenshots I've seen)

There are some other minor changes, but these are the biggest ones you'll most likely encounter. I'd say it's definitely the more difficult version for a FJF, if for no other reason than fixing some of glitches/exploits, especially the Beastmaster's most favorite "I Win" button (though still nothing resists Bear element!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

MagusDraco posted:

There's the project demi version which removes all the cutscenes and has optional 2x/4x exp and abp mods and "bosses give exp and abp" mods. Gotta deal with the rpge translation though which kinda sucks

If you remove all cutscenes, the translation hardly matters though, no?