Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Combat Pretzel posted:

The artifacts start flickering, when something else on screen is redrawing often.

Try toggling hardware acceleration edge://settings/?search=acceleration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Combat Pretzel posted:

The artifacts start flickering, when something else on screen is redrawing often.

I have no idea what's going on. Browsing reddit or that obnoxious as gently caress contraption they call a forum on the Edge Insider site, no one complains about rendering issues so far.

I'm not seeing anything like this here. GPU driver issue?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

spasticColon posted:

Is there a quick and easy way to disable the Intel CPU security flaw mitigations in 1809?

Yes. Get an AMD chip and mobo. :v:

More seriously: https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

I used to use their Never10 utility back when 10 was being an annoying gently caress, I also still use their DNS bench utility.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 20, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Factor Mystic posted:

Try toggling hardware acceleration edge://settings/?search=acceleration
Will try. But regardless of that, why should I? Chrome works just fine here with it enabled. Or any other hardware accelerated 3D app.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm not seeing anything like this here. GPU driver issue?
It's an NVidia card, there's been multiple recent versions of their drivers on the system by now, since I have been trying Edgium.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Combat Pretzel posted:

Haven't one specifically of the progress bar thing.

But poo poo like this essentially keeps happening:

Click for large. See the right window, textures from the other window (actually another page from that site).

I am almost absolutely certain it's a graphics acceleration issue. I'm seeing some of the same issues myself on Chromium.

I'm on a laptop, (because laptop GPUs were the only remaining affordable ones thanks to bitcoin two years back) and while I do permit Chromium to do hardware acceleration, I only allow it to use the Intel HD 630, and not the 1060. (again, this was just something I started doing back during the bitcoin boom, and you had to really worry that anyone and everyone was embedding a bitcoin miner, and I never really stopped)

I'll close a window in Youtube, and the background will show up on the tab underneath it, doubly so if that tab is also Youtube and playing a video.

edit:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 20, 2019

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Uh, colour profiles don't work anymore for me. 0 effect. Anything I can check?

Edit: Ugh, it really bothers me how colours are off now. I tried restarting, deleting the profiles and resetting colour settings and redoing it without results. I use a laptop with HD4600 and GTX 970M so Optimus is in play and the display I use is connected with Displayport if that can matter.

Edit2: Got it fixed using the answer here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...34-2dd35cfdaf33
How that thing got unticked randomly is beyond me.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 20, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I am almost absolutely certain it's a graphics acceleration issue. I'm seeing some of the same issues myself on Chromium.
Interesting. Why does it happen on Chromium but not on Chrome? I hope that Microsoft gets it fixed, because it'd make a lovely impression, when it gets published wider, as beta or whatever.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yes. Get an AMD chip and mobo. :v:

More seriously: https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

I used to use their Never10 utility back when 10 was being an annoying gently caress, I also still use their DNS bench utility.

Thanks. And I plan on retiring my older-than-dirt i5-2500k and build an AMD system sometime this summer.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Hed posted:

Definitely interested if you get it sorted.

It must have been the RAM, or the motherboard, I still have no idea which. I ordered another kit of the RAM I had just purchased to make it an identical set of four sticks to test it out. Computer turned on, then reset itself endlessly without getting to the BIOS. I turned it off, turned it back on with the PSU switch, and it turned on, fans spun, it gave me three beeps that would indicate a RAM issue.....and then showed the BIOS splash screen and informed me that system settings had been changed. It recognizes all 32GB, just like it did with the two old sticks in there, but no blue screens and no instability right now. Still no idea what made the computer so cranky when the sticks were first installed, and now I have 16GB of DDR4 RAM just sitting around not doing anything. Womp womp

I ended up doing a fresh install of 1903 before I ordered the RAM because I was convinced about the audio drivers and that didn't solve anything. I'm not convinced it isn't the motherboard because the computer has absolutely zero issues with three sticks and only starts to complain when there's four - I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the B2 RAM slot on this motherboard, but a rear USB port has already died on me just shy of three years in so I'm starting to be a little more suspicious.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Try relaxing the memory timings with all 4 dimms in. The memory controller will have a harder time addressing each additional dimm in the channel and its common to need to relax them a bit as you populate more of them. These days all a motherboard does to support the ram is passes some traces back from the slot to the cpu socket, there's not really much to go wrong there unless it was physically damaged.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
So if I only have 2 DIMMs for mine should I try to back off? I typically check the DIMM setting to get the module to talk to the mobo about its timings--also I ran overnight on memtest86 with 0 errors, is that likely to mean it's something else?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Probably something else if you're getting through a memtest. Prime95 will throw in CPU load and more power demand on top of trashing through your ram, that would be a good next step. A failure on that but clean memtest run probably means the PSU it flakey and throwing inconsistent voltages (or maybe motherboard caps), or that one time in my life where it was the memory controllers on the CPU that were dodgy but it only manifested under CPU load.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Are there any programs, apps or tricks you can use to boost the volume of an individual program in W10?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Try relaxing the memory timings with all 4 dimms in. The memory controller will have a harder time addressing each additional dimm in the channel and its common to need to relax them a bit as you populate more of them. These days all a motherboard does to support the ram is passes some traces back from the slot to the cpu socket, there's not really much to go wrong there unless it was physically damaged.

I actually did attempt to run at 16-16-16-37 as opposed to the factory CL15 (15-15-15-35) with no discernible difference. I didn't try any slower timings than that, and I also attempted to very gently increase the voltage to 1.25-1.3V as was recommended in a few online threads regarding similar problems with my motherboard.

It's an MSI B350 Tomahawk, for reference

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Probably something else if you're getting through a memtest. Prime95 will throw in CPU load and more power demand on top of trashing through your ram, that would be a good next step. A failure on that but clean memtest run probably means the PSU it flakey and throwing inconsistent voltages (or maybe motherboard caps), or that one time in my life where it was the memory controllers on the CPU that were dodgy but it only manifested under CPU load.

Funny enough, I just ordered a new modular PSU anyway because I want to use my current, non-modular one in a separate rig. I'll toss a Prime95 at it tonight and see what happens (because the other poster's situation with memtest coming back fine is virtually identical to my own)

barnold fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 21, 2019

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

-snip, accidental double quote-

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Media Creation Tool for 1903 is available.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI6dsMeABpU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Weirdest problems ever with 1903 on my box. My Coolermaster keyboard suddenly goes insane and stops working, RGB lights change to a different pattern and it goes offline. Next my ASrock fan controller doesnt really work anymore. It kicks in and works about half the time, and the other half the fans just do whatever the hell they want.

Odd.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Let's do dis :blastu:

I've noticed the following: The fade in and out animations when opening and closing windows doesn't persist. Sometimes the option checkbox itself will be cleared, other times it's ticked but has no effect. It's inconsistent but is happening on two different machines of mine.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It still can't update if a USB drive is connected - even if it's the one containing the Media Creation Tool. This is embarrassing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The installer says I have a driver or service that isn't compatible, and refuses to continue. But doesn't say what specifically is incompatible.

thanks windows

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

I have three questions:

1) Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 with this?

2) Will I still have issues with a clean install of 1903?

3) Can I still disable Intel CPU security mitigations in 1903?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

The installer says I have a driver or service that isn't compatible, and refuses to continue. But doesn't say what specifically is incompatible.

thanks windows

Do you have a USB drive or a pen drive connected? That's likely to be the issue.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

repiv posted:

thanks windows

Same thing happened to me, just told me the update would be offered when whatever it is has been resolved. Why the gently caress they don't tell you what it is so that any reasonably savvy user can try workarounds or whatever is beyond me.

spasticColon posted:

I have three questions:

1) Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 with this?

2) Will I still have issues with a clean install of 1903?

3) Can I still disable Intel CPU security mitigations in 1903?

1. Yes.

2. Were you having issues with an upgrade install of 1903?

3. Pass - do you really need to?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 1903 install will fail if you have any type of USB or SD card installed. Even if you use the 1903 media to create a USB installer. Bonkers.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

repiv posted:

thanks windows

A bunch of A/V software will need updating, and the BattleEye anti cheat tool Fortnite uses is also not compatible.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't have any removable storage connected, or any A/V software besides Windows Defender, and I don't think BattleEye is installed anymore unless there's some remnants I'm not able to find :iiam:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

GreenNight posted:

The 1903 install will fail if you have any type of USB or SD card installed. Even if you use the 1903 media to create a USB installer. Bonkers.

That's a different error. There's one that says there's a piece of hardware that's incompatible, a different one that says it's a driver or service.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Welp, there went my weekend.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I previously posted about how my 1903 update on the insider ring was always failing at 8% on the reboot. Was planning on just waiting for the media creation tool to appear and do it that way, I'm not in any rush

Today I got a notification that there was a fix for the issue and I should try again :woop:

Now it fails at 7% on the reboot

:confuoot:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wait a few months until it’s been beta tested

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Turned out BattleEye was hiding in services.msc even after I'd uninstalled every game that uses it, and since BE itself doesn't have an uninstaller you have to just force-remove the service from the command line. Now to upgrade my windows!

nevermind :suicide:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Lol it fails with a usb drive containing the installer attached?:psyboom: I'm like nearly paralyzed with disbelief. Chrissakes I am one step closer to going Linux full time and doing without all my beloved freewares and such on my daily driver. (Then I dunno either dual boot or run a second machine or do windows in a VM. I should probably have already been doing that for a long time.)

I mean, if something like that makes it to widespread release... do I really want an OS made by this company on the machine I use day in and day out?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 22, 2019

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
You can't access Kaomoji's through the touch keyboard.
physical keyboard only (#`-_ゝ-)

≧ ﹏ ≦

இ௰இ

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Lol it fails with a usb drive containing the installer attached?:psyboom: I'm like nearly paralyzed with disbelief. Chrissakes I am one step closer to going Linux full time and doing without all my beloved freewares and such on my daily driver. (Then I dunno either dual boot or run a second machine or do windows in a VM. I should probably have already been doing that for a long time.)

I mean, if something like that makes it to widespread release... do I really want an OS made by this company on the machine I use day in and day out?

Haha, remember when I posted about that and everyone was shocked before dismissing it as only an issue for insiders that was obviously going to be fixed for the actual release?

According to that page the issue is supposed to have been resolved, but if posts here are to be believed, it's obviously not.

Microsoft posted:

This issue is resolved in Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18877 and later builds, and will be resolved in a future servicing update for Windows 10, version 1903.
Makes you wonder what the media creation tool is dishing out.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hipster_Doofus posted:

They've apparently fixed this in a future build but why it wasn't more of a priority, who knows.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Future build, just not the one everyone is currently getting. Great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Future build, just not the one everyone is currently getting. Great.

Presumably they'll patch in code to the current build at some stage, but it's already integrated into 19H2 builds or whatever they're called.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Like I said, wait until it's beta tested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Microsoft should switch to a yearly release cadence; two releases a year that are both buggy as hell really isn't great for anyone.