Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I really liked it, but they could have trimmed the old man B plot out. They clearly wanted to say something about war guilt, and that’s the reason for that character, but it was unnecessary. The movie is about enough stuff already, and the ending scene with him defanged the coven a bit. Loved everything else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm not really a big Tilda Swinton fan even though she's a thread favorite, but she did an excellent job in the Suspiria remake. I thought Dakota Johnson was really great too (I hope she pulls a Kristen Stewart, because even though she's known for 50 Shades I think she has real talent and I hope she doesn't get typecast bc of those garbage movies)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Pretty sure it’s on Prime now, too.

Y’all are making me want to rewatch it. It’s been a few years.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I didn't care for new Suspiria either. I appreciated that it went a different route, and some of the scenes were interesting. But it was too long and uneven and it didn't hold my interest. Fairly early on I asked my friend if she thought the old age makeup was odd, and she pointed out that the actor was a woman. After that, that character felt like such a distraction.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

deety posted:

I didn't care for new Suspiria either. I appreciated that it went a different route, and some of the scenes were interesting. But it was too long and uneven and it didn't hold my interest. Fairly early on I asked my friend if she thought the old age makeup was odd, and she pointed out that the actor was a woman. After that, that character felt like such a distraction.

Which character are you referring to?

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Dr. Old Tilda Swinton.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It’s wild how much Peter Jackson was able to do, the masks alone are fantastic, not to mention he built all the guns, several precise models of the house in different scales, and stuff like a crane/dolly tracks/steadicam. Dude is a genius, shame he hosed off with Lord of the Rings for 20 years

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you know she did the soundtrack too

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Coffee And Pie posted:

It’s wild how much Peter Jackson was able to do, the masks alone are fantastic, not to mention he built all the guns, several precise models of the house in different scales, and stuff like a crane/dolly tracks/steadicam. Dude is a genius, shame he hosed off with Lord of the Rings for 20 years

To be fair, the Lord of the Rings movies are quite insane and if they hadn't become so overwhelmingly popular even us CineD snobs would see them as his crowning achievement as a filmmaker. Not the Hobbits of course, but I can hope that they made him want go back to smaller scale movies again.

Also the resolution to the old man subplot in Suspiria is what stuck with me the most, even moreso than the violence.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

married but discreet posted:

To be fair, the Lord of the Rings movies are quite insane and if they hadn't become so overwhelmingly popular even us CineD snobs would see them as his crowning achievement as a filmmaker. Not the Hobbits of course, but I can hope that they made him want go back to smaller scale movies again.

I acknowledge that they will probably be his crowning achievement, but Dead Alive will probably always be my favorite.

But I’m generally just not a big LotR fan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

you know she did the soundtrack too

I thought it was Thom Yorke

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

mikeycp posted:

just watched Let's Scare Jessica To Death

talk about a big mood piece

it owned

Movie owns, everyone should see it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I thought it was Thom Yorke

thatsthejoke.jpg

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:hai:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
The empty dance room scene is worth the price I paid to watch it (free)

The final scene would have been so good if not for the lovely low frame rate to hide the bad VFX

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

I acknowledge that they will probably be his crowning achievement, but Dead Alive will probably always be my favorite.

But I’m generally just not a big LotR fan.

Yeah, DeadAlive's my fave too. As far as his Tolkien films go, I like them enough to have copies but drat the fandom's soured me a bit on them. I remember reading on some forum way back when, a bunch of Tolkien grognards having a fit that Christopher Lee was cast as Saruman even though Lee regularly corresponded with Tolkien until he passed on and read the books yearly.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

Yeah, DeadAlive's my fave too. As far as his Tolkien films go, I like them enough to have copies but drat the fandom's soured me a bit on them. I remember reading on some forum way back when, a bunch of Tolkien grognards having a fit that Christopher Lee was cast as Saruman even though Lee regularly corresponded with Tolkien until he passed on and read the books yearly.

of all the things to be annoyed about in LotR, why on earth would you choose casting christopher lee as saruman? it's almost like the role he was born to play

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What I heard is that Lee met Tolkien in a pub and over some beers Tolkien promised that if there was ever a film adaptation he would insist on Lee playing Gandalf, his dream role.

However he is a much better fit for Saruman because he was a very tall and very good at playing sinister.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

veni veni veni posted:

To be fair I am extremely sensitive to old man makeup/CGI changed faces. It's like my least favorite thing, so maybe I am overly critical of it. poo poo like fake Grand Moff Tarkin in Rogue One is like torture to me lol.

I'm basically the opposite. I don't really tend to notice poor put on accents or bad hair pieces that other goons really zero in on. I mean, i definitely notice bad CGI or makeup or accents every now and then when its a real distraction to me, but way less frequently than I see it become a big thing around these parts.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CHOO CHOO SOMEBODY PACK THE EVIL BONG BECAUSE KVLT! IS ALL ABOARD THE HORROR EXPRESS!

This movie's got everything: Christopher Lee as a most dapper scientist, Peter Cushing rocking a HANDSOME smoking jacket, caveman, demons, a beautiful Polish countess and her husband in an equally beautiful pink blazer, a de Niro look alike Russian Orthodox priest, Manchurian snowy wastes, autopsies, and GORGEOUS sets.

It's a creature feature, religious horror, sci-fi horror, and a period piece all wrapped up into one magnificent package. It's also a clear influence on The Thing.

It's funny, (Peter Cushing: we can't be the monster, we're British!) without compromising scares. It's thrilling, mysterious, adventurous and every frame is pure eye candy. The makeup and FX are top notch, but what stuck out to me especially was the costuming: every character had a unique and well-crafted outfit with tons of excellent colors that really pop. The sets are gorgeous and really capture the cozy feeling of the train against the snowy tundra outside.

The plot is highly original, the script beautifully written, the acting superb, the story full of fun surprises without being too "twisty". Cushing and Lee are at the top of their game, and the large cast of side characters are all interesting, unique, and well-played. The monster is creepy as hell and its costume is perfect.

Tnis is a true 10/10, A+, perfect score horror movie. I went in with very high expectations and it still blew them away. I can't remember the last time I was so wildly entertained watching a movie, let alone a horror movie. I'm so glad I blind-bought the Arrow blu-ray.

If you haven't seen it yet, put it at the top of your list. It's a real treat and a true treasure.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Grand Moff Tarkin was very bad

Because they tried to recreate Peter Mother loving Cushing's acting with a CGI dummy and body double.

Neither of whom could capture the nuances or subtleties of the man. Cushing's Tarkin was an affable, amiable monster who would smile after ordering the deaths of billions and lying to your face. He had a soft, bemused tone, fitting for one of his power and influence.

Rogue One's Tarkin is a sour faced bore who is just perpetually annoyed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Burkion posted:

Neither of whom could capture the nuances or subtleties of the man. Cushing's Tarkin was an affable, amiable monster who would smile after ordering the deaths of billions and lying to your face. He had a soft, bemused tone, fitting for one of his power and influence.

Rogue One's Tarkin is a sour faced bore who is just perpetually annoyed.

this is definitely the worst example of it but all of the new star wars movies have this problem, with regard to any of the villains. like under the circumstances i kind of get why but they're just absolutely terrified of giving evil even the tiniest hint of glamour or competence, to the point where it undercuts them as a threat.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fun reminder, Peter Jackson plans to use the computer tech that was used to restore the WW1 footage in They Shall Not Grow Old to make HD restorations of his old crap video quality movies.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

Fun reminder, Peter Jackson plans to use the computer tech that was used to restore the WW1 footage in They Shall Not Grow Old to make HD restorations of his old crap video quality movies.

So long as they keep a deft hand on it I'm all for it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lurdiak posted:

They Shall Not Grow Old looked amazing, and that was footage from 1918, so hell yeah

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Have a couple requests for the thread. I'm looking for a movie inspired by Carmilla and also a movie with Chinese hopping vampires.

I'm okay with subtitles and the age of the movie doesn't bother me. Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Five hours and a bunch of chirpy anime intros after watching Hereditary, the "music" from the final treehouse scene is still playing in my head. I'm trying to sleep, drat it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Seyser Koze posted:

I'm trying to sleep, drat it.
Pffffffffffft, good luck with that after watching Hereditary! lol

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Sarchasm posted:

Have a couple requests for the thread. I'm looking for a movie inspired by Carmilla and also a movie with Chinese hopping vampires.

I'm okay with subtitles and the age of the movie doesn't bother me. Thanks in advance for the recommendations.

Vampire Lovers
Blood and Roses

And this episode from an often overlooked Showtime series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVYhDr6BJmA

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Snack Bitch posted:

I tried to watching The ABCs of Death tonight and gave up at L or M I think. What a hot mess of shorts.

The second one is better, but there's still a lot of meh shorts. I don't know if either are something I'd recommend to anyone who's not really into anthologies/shorts, but at least most are small so they get finished quickly.

M_Sinistrari posted:

To me it felt like it would've been better off as its own film where it would've had the time to really rock its premise. I would've liked to've seen more build up, maybe some initial talking between the Alfonsos and a gradual lead to there's some differences between the worlds to the eventual reveal of the Satanworld's true differences. I wanted to see more of Satanworld. Were the people some human/demon hybrid or something else? I would've liked to've seen more of Satanworld Alfonso's reaction to our world. There's just so much potential to the premise that gets hindered by being an anthology sized story.

Yeah that would've been much better overall. Honestly I'm surprised that more of the shorts haven't been fleshed out into movies, the only one I read about having a full movie made from it was the siren one with the girl who flies away with the dude. Which while not bad, wasn't exactly the one I would've expected.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

CHOO CHOO SOMEBODY PACK THE EVIL BONG BECAUSE KVLT! IS ALL ABOARD THE HORROR EXPRESS!

This movie's got everything: Christopher Lee as a most dapper scientist, Peter Cushing rocking a HANDSOME smoking jacket, caveman, demons, a beautiful Polish countess and her husband in an equally beautiful pink blazer, a de Niro look alike Russian Orthodox priest, Manchurian snowy wastes, autopsies, and GORGEOUS sets.

It's a creature feature, religious horror, sci-fi horror, and a period piece all wrapped up into one magnificent package. It's also a clear influence on The Thing.

It's funny, (Peter Cushing: we can't be the monster, we're British!) without compromising scares. It's thrilling, mysterious, adventurous and every frame is pure eye candy. The makeup and FX are top notch, but what stuck out to me especially was the costuming: every character had a unique and well-crafted outfit with tons of excellent colors that really pop. The sets are gorgeous and really capture the cozy feeling of the train against the snowy tundra outside.

The plot is highly original, the script beautifully written, the acting superb, the story full of fun surprises without being too "twisty". Cushing and Lee are at the top of their game, and the large cast of side characters are all interesting, unique, and well-played. The monster is creepy as hell and its costume is perfect.

Tnis is a true 10/10, A+, perfect score horror movie. I went in with very high expectations and it still blew them away. I can't remember the last time I was so wildly entertained watching a movie, let alone a horror movie. I'm so glad I blind-bought the Arrow blu-ray.

If you haven't seen it yet, put it at the top of your list. It's a real treat and a true treasure.

Hell yea.

You've now experienced Horror Express in an even better format than most itt, I'm jealous of your Arrow blu ray.

Apropos of nothing, Fran just admitted in the challenge thread that he's never seen Zombie's Halloween II. You should harass him until he watches it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Apropos of nothing, Fran just admitted in the challenge thread that he's never seen Zombie's Halloween II. You should harass him until he watches it.

The biggest reason keeping me from watching it: I keep waffling on whether I should double feature both Zombie Halloweens, or if I should just watch Halloween II and hope I remember enough from seeing the first one years ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

The biggest reason keeping me from watching it: I keep waffling on whether I should double feature both Zombie Halloweens, or if I should just watch Halloween II and hope I remember enough from seeing the first one years ago.

The only thing that you'd really want to remember from the first one is Laurie's best friend, played by Danielle Harris, and the sheriff, Brad Dourif. Because they're pretty heavily featured in Halloween II and at the start of the movie Laurie is living with them. Not completely necessary though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Watched a actually half way decent Jesus Franco film Faceless which is just a rip off of Eyes without Face. So if you wanna see Jesus Franco remake a classic horror film it's a decent watch.

On the other hand I also watched Jesus Franco Golden Amazon Warriors which is also good but for like totally different reasons.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

The only thing that you'd really want to remember from the first one is Laurie's best friend, played by Danielle Harris, and the sheriff, Brad Dourif. Because they're pretty heavily featured in Halloween II and at the start of the movie Laurie is living with them. Not completely necessary though.

I will NEVER forget Danielle “horrorgal” Harris.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Watched a actually half way decent Jesus Franco film Faceless which is just a rip off of Eyes without Face. So if you wanna see Jesus Franco remake a classic horror film it's a decent watch.

This sounds pretty sweet

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I will NEVER forget Danielle “horrorgal” Harris.

Her and Dourif are the unsung MVPs of Zombie's Halloween films, for sure.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

The empty dance room scene is worth the price I paid to watch it (free)

The final scene would have been so good if not for the lovely low frame rate to hide the bad VFX

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
What genre would you call the Horror Express/ The Asphyx? Horror period pieces in which fancy gentlemen of old timey “science” investigate the paranormal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

What genre would you call the Horror Express/ The Asphyx? Horror period pieces in which fancy gentlemen of old timey “science” investigate the paranormal?

I'd say they fall into the gothic horror category. Or Hammeresque, if you prefer.