Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maybe one of Ego's kids did eventually work out in helping Ego's plans. Ego's victory in that timeline is... inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kunabomber posted:

Xandar got screwed by Thanos anyway when he sought out the stone.

But Xandar only had the stone because of the Guardians

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Away all Goats posted:

But Xandar only had the stone because of the Guardians

Right, so without the Guardians, they get screwed by Ronan. With the Guardians, they get screwed by Thanos. Either way, they’re screwed.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

thrawn527 posted:

Right, so without the Guardians, they get screwed by Ronan. With the Guardians, they get screwed by Thanos. Either way, they’re screwed.

that’s what they get for being total a-holes

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well I don’t think anyone can be a ‘total’ a-hole.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

thrawn527 posted:

Was Ronan really a threat to Xandar without the stone though? I thought the real threat was him using the stone to blow up the planet. Otherwise it would have just been a conventional war/battle that he may or may not win. Maybe that type of conflict would have drawn the attention of Captain Marvel.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Regardless of whether it was to future Cap or some other guy, didn't Peggy get married sometime after Cap got frozen?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out, it's just a timeline label, not indicating when precisely he got frozen,

Help me out with the spaceships here--

How many spaceships did the good guys have? They shrunk one down and took it back in time with them and somehow reinflated it. After dropping off Nebula and War Machine at the one planet, Hawkeye and Black Widow took the ship to Vormir. But then Nebula figures out Thanos knows what's going on and tries to call Hawkeye and BW from ??? what, another spaceship? Meanwhile, Hawkeye was somehow able to shrink his spaceship back down before beaming back from Vormir, so he could return it to Rocket?

At the end, did Cap have the shrinky spaceship in his suitcase so he could return the stones to Vormir and Asgard and the other planet? Since he never came back, how did Thor and the Guardians have it to fly away in at the end? Did old Cap have it in his jacket pocket?

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 22, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sir Nose posted:

Regardless of whether it was to future Cap or some other guy, didn't Peggy get married sometime after Cap got frozen?

Yes. The diagram shows Cap was frozen from 1945 to 2011. It also just speculates that Cap traveled back to 1945-ish to marry Peggy, which would be post-freezing.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Sir Nose posted:

But then Nebula figures out Thanos knows what's going on and tries to call Hawkeye and BW from ??? what, another spaceship?

I assume it's one of the ships that would have been present in that time; either Quill's GotG1 version of the ship, or whatever Ronin's gang arrived in.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Ubik_Lives posted:

I assume it's one of the ships that would have been present in that time; either Quill's GotG1 version of the ship, or whatever Ronin's gang arrived in.

OK Quill's ship makes sense I guess... But how did Nebula know precisely where he parked it so she could run directly to it? She must have extensive files...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MCU planets are approximately 3 square blocks. Earth is a little bigger.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Sir Nose posted:

OK Quill's ship makes sense I guess... But how did Nebula know precisely where he parked it so she could run directly to it? She must have extensive files...

She's mostly machine so you can make up a technobabble explanation like she detected its radiation signature or something

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

LinYutang posted:

She's mostly machine so you can make up a technobabble explanation like she detected its radiation signature or something

It actually says in the books that she can taste it's queefs.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Sir Nose posted:

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out, it's just a timeline label, not indicating when precisely he got frozen,

Help me out with the spaceships here--

How many spaceships did the good guys have? They shrunk one down and took it back in time with them and somehow reinflated it. After dropping off Nebula and War Machine at the one planet, Hawkeye and Black Widow took the ship to Vormir. But then Nebula figures out Thanos knows what's going on and tries to call Hawkeye and BW from ??? what, another spaceship? Meanwhile, Hawkeye was somehow able to shrink his spaceship back down before beaming back from Vormir, so he could return it to Rocket?

At the end, did Cap have the shrinky spaceship in his suitcase so he could return the stones to Vormir and Asgard and the other planet? Since he never came back, how did Thor and the Guardians have it to fly away in at the end? Did old Cap have it in his jacket pocket?

Mjolnir can summon the bifrost.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Captain America’s whole off screen adventure in the last 5 minutes of a 180 minute movie are to me the only remarkable takeaway.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Arist posted:

I'm really goddamn exhausted by people who think the actual logistics of time travel matter at all here. It's basically just the same tired discussion about "plot holes" (which are equally stupid and meaningless) dressed up a little fancier.

Yeah, it's inherently a paradox and is never going to logically make sense. Once you put it and a multiverse you can move through easily in your story it's pretty much anything goes because you effectively don't even have rules anymore, which is why comics love it so much.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
People keep arguing about the Cap/Peggy time travel thing but if you saw the three Captain America movies then you know that literally all he did was show up, tell her what was up, dance that one time that was shown on screen, and then leave to live an average joe life and put the gems back into place.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We all know that sometime in the 1990s, Steve Rogers faked being carsick to steal the car and stranded Peggy and his family somewhere, never to be seen by her again. (Until he thaws out a couple decades later.)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

What's the paradox?

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Why is Thanos just standing there while they pose for a full two minutes?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sir Kodiak posted:

What's the paradox?

Writers said that Steve is peggy’s husband and father of her kids and always has been. But they said previously you can’t change your past so who knows.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Homestuck posted:

WELL, YEAH. OF COURSE IT WAS NECESSARY.
EVEN IF IT WASN'T THE MORALLY RIGHT CHOICE OR WHATEVER, IT WAS OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING THAT HAD TO HAPPEN.
THAT'S THE CRUEL THING ABOUT PARADOX SPACE. IT SYSTEMICALLY VALIDATES ALL YOUR MISTAKES AS NECESSARY OUTCOMES.
NOT EVEN NECESSARY FOR YOUR OWN GOOD OR PERSONAL GROWTH. IT'S ALWAYS BIGGER THAN YOU. LIKE YOUR ERRORS IN JUDGMENT ARE INSEPARABLE FROM THE WAY REALITY HAS TO UNFOLD.
SO IT NEVER LETS YOU FORGET ABOUT THEM. BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL CRITICAL TO THE BIG PICTURE, AND ALL YOUR PAST FLAWS ARE LIKE...
SCARS.
SCARS IN SPACETIME THAT NEVER HEAL, AND ALWAYS SERVE TO REMIND YOU THAT THE PERFECT VERSION OF YOURSELF YOU WISH YOU COULD BE CAN NEVER EXIST. BECAUSE THE SURVIVAL OF EVERYONE YOU CARE ABOUT DEPENDS ON HIM NOT EXISTING.

(I couldn't find the quote I wanted, about how the universe can eat Paradoxes for breakfast, but good enough)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Writers said that Steve is peggy’s husband and father of her kids and always has been. But they said previously you can’t change your past so who knows.

A writer saying something stupid in an interview about a movie does not introduce a paradox into that movie.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If Steve was always the father of her kids then the past wasn't changed.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If you have a way to go to any year you want then you have no past. No fate but what we make.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess that makes sense why his picture was on her desk

A wedding picture would have been better !!!!!

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
If the ending happens five years later, why is Peter Parker still in high school? Did they just stop having school for two years?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What else are they gonna do. They had no idea the world fell apart so they just go back to school to see everyone.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Parker didn’t age. He’s still in HS

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Be Depressive posted:

If the ending happens five years later, why is Peter Parker still in high school? Did they just stop having school for two years?

Peter was dead for 5 years.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah like uhhhh they presumably didn't just cancel high school forever, they probably at some point started it back up with the non-snapped people who continued their education and then went onto whatever form of college was still operating.

The unrealistic part of that scene was that certainly Peter would try to contact Ned in some other way, like straight up just texting him or going over to his house. They make it seem like they both show up and see each other, but the logistical nightmare of reenrolling all of these people who have been missing for the past 5 years alongside other students have aged in real time would probably delay school openings a few months. It's not like they just showed up the next day like they still have Wednesday morning Bio together.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I doubt their phones worked.

Did any man’s phone work ?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

It is interesting they all went back to school, though. Like, they were dead for 5 years. Now they still have to go to AP Bio? Like, it's going to take a while for society to figure all this poo poo out.

edit: 2 posts up, we both picked Bio. That's hilarious.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

I doubt their phones worked.

Did any man’s phone work ?

Strangely enough, Hawkeye's wife's phone apparently worked.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Strangely enough, Hawkeye's wife's phone apparently worked.

Yeah Hawkeye's phone buzzed immediately. His wife presumably beat the rush of people crashing the cell towers with calls.

EDIT: hahaha also love the Bio coincidence :hf:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
it owns how they ran roughshod over Cap's character by memory-holeing Sharon Carter because Kevin Feige thought she was mucking up the pacing of a THREE HOUR MOVIE, so to give Cap his happy ending and write out Evans they invalidated their own internal time travel logic (whatever) and had Cap go back to banging her aunt (huge lol)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have no idea who Shannon Carter is.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
she was his SHIELD nanny in Winter Soldier

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

euphronius posted:

I have no idea who Shannon Carter is.

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Sharon_Carter

It's bad I know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah Hawkeye's phone buzzed immediately. His wife presumably beat the rush of people crashing the cell towers with calls.

It's even better than that. While Hawkeye was going around on his murder rampage for 5 years, he was keeping up his family plan cell phone bill?

Automatic payments are a bitch.