Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

just ordered a c302 to give chromeOS a shot on something compact but nicely built. should get here tomorrow. anything i should know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

everythingWasBees posted:

So I work from home, and have all the software and repositories and whatnot configured on my desktop. Everything works great and I have no issues, but as it's a desktop, if I'm working late I'm confined to my office and can't spend time with my partner. Is there a good Chromebook just for remoting use? Everything seems to be weighing how nice the touchscreen is and such but I'm literally just using the thing to remote so I only care about the screen, keyboard, and battery life.

Is chrome remote desktop suitable for your needs? If so, any of them and I guess screen and keyboard would be my primary things to look at.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I started using the Web interface for CRD and I like it better than the standalone now. The one main issue was that the latter shows ALL displays at once, which is problematic when I connect to my desktop with a FHD next to a UHD panel and try to display it on a CB running less than that total resolution; the Web version lets you specify which display to use, which solves that problem!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Atomizer posted:

I started using the Web interface for CRD and I like it better than the standalone now. The one main issue was that the latter shows ALL displays at once, which is problematic when I connect to my desktop with a FHD next to a UHD panel and try to display it on a CB running less than that total resolution; the Web version lets you specify which display to use, which solves that problem!

Ooh, I've been using it because it works on my work laptop and let's me get around firewall/access my home setup. I run 3 different resolution displays on my main computer so I know your pain.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

Ooh, I've been using it because it works on my work laptop and let's me get around firewall/access my home setup. I run 3 different resolution displays on my main computer so I know your pain.

What's really fun is when the Oculus software is running, which creates a 3rd virtual display that's like 4k x 4k or something like that and it shows up as a huge black box (while simultaneously making the other displays even tinier) in the CRD app. :rolleyes:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am having a problem with a student’s Chromebook and I cannot figure anything out. I asked the google support community but they have not responded. I am hopeful someone here may have an idea of what is happening and a solution to it.

I have a Lenovo N22 Chromebook with an OS build of 73.03683.114. Every time I have chrome brought up, if I try to type anything or if I am on a page for more than a few seconds, it will kick me back one page or it will kick me back to the starting page. For example, chrome kicks me back into the YouTube video list when I am watching a video (usually only 8 seconds into the video). When I type in the url box, it kicks me back to the starting page. If I click on a recent website, it will either kick me back to the starting page after a few seconds or if I try to type something on the page, it will automatically kick me back.

I have wiped the Chromebook. I have logged myself in (instead of the student) and it continues to do it.

Any ideas?

This is not a software problem

Your student spilled coke or milk or something on the keyboard and shorted something on the keyboard that's activating the home and/or back button

If you're feeling especially mean you can take apart the the laptop and find the moisture indicator and charge them for the damage

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Atomizer posted:

What's really fun is when the Oculus software is running, which creates a 3rd virtual display that's like 4k x 4k or something like that and it shows up as a huge black box (while simultaneously making the other displays even tinier) in the CRD app. :rolleyes:

There are settings that let you zoom in to view it normally. Mine shows up full size and I just move the cursor to the edge of my screen to scroll around the desktop.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

c302 came in and its opened and updated. I like the feel of it, the weight, the construction etc. I'm going to see if I like ChromeOS for myself and then probably give it to my GF if she likes it. Bezels are too much of a bummer for me coming from an xps 13.

Might take a gander at the c434 and what that brings to the table

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

So is there any way to not go through the developer mode BEEP BEEP IM WAITING 30 SECONDS song and dance on the c302/any device?

If no its no big deal.. im basically just playing with this thing anyway and i dont think i have a single use for linux on it :shrug:

E: so far all i've found is instructions telling me to open the device and disable jumpers

Worf fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 14, 2019

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

You need to play around with/replace the bios - so it depends on your model if possible.

Probably the most popular one: https://mrchromebox.tech/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Statutory Ape posted:

So is there any way to not go through the developer mode BEEP BEEP IM WAITING 30 SECONDS song and dance on the c302/any device?

If no its no big deal.. im basically just playing with this thing anyway and i dont think i have a single use for linux on it :shrug:

E: so far all i've found is instructions telling me to open the device and disable jumpers

If you want to get it out of developer mode, I think you just hit enter on that screen and let it wipe itself back to factory default everything.

If you just want to bypass the screen without waiting and get on with a normal boot, hit ctrl-D. (If you're using SeaBIOS, ctrl-L will jump you directly to boot device selection.)

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Quick troubleshooting questions regarding my C302ca: Twice now it seems to have powerwashed itself. The first time I opened it to a black screen with a 5 minute countdown, I turned it off during that and opened it again to the same countdown (having reset) and instead of a black screen, I had a white screen with the message that 'ChromeOS is repairing itself'. That was about a week ago and the second time was this morning. I didn't get any message but it didn't boot up when opened. I connected the charger and after a few minutes it did open again. Once I could get in, battery was showing at 1% so it had obviously drained itself, I'm pretty sure I had turned it off fully when I closed it the night before but even in standby mode not lasting overnight seems like unusual battery usage.

Also when I booted it, it still showed my account details (account photo and name) but didn't have the wifi stored and as soon as I connected that it asked for an account to use for login. It had powerwashed itself again. I'm a fairly ideal usage case for Chrome OS as everything is cloud based, I've got a password manager and so I can get back up and running in a few minutes in these cases but it's still annoying, especially when not planned for as there were a couple of things in local storage that I had for easy access and hadn't backed up yet. Is this some kind of known problem or a warning sign that something bad is in the near future? I had had a problem with the battery on the first C302 I got and Asus replaced it, I'm hoping there's not some other issue lurking.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

If you want a "cheap" chromebook that actually has something called storage (more than 32GB), is your only option the Lenovo Yoga C630?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tankakern posted:

If you want a "cheap" chromebook that actually has something called storage (more than 32GB), is your only option the Lenovo Yoga C630?

how much are you seeing that lenovo for and what do you want besides more than 32g storage?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I put a class 10(+?) Samsung 32GB sd card in my Chromebook for $15 when I bought it two years ago

It's not the absolute fastest thing on the planet but number of times I've needed to read/write giant files on short notice is two.

If you mostly use your Chromebook at home another good option is get a NAS and plug it into your wifi router for not much more than buying a bigger internal drive on your Chromebook. It's about as fast as a good SD card which is about 100MB/s

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My old Samsung CB has an SD slot but the card sticks out 1/3 of the way when inserted (as designed). Has that changed? I tossed it in a backpack and snapped the card reader in half once.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tankakern posted:

There are plenty with >32 GB, see this directory.

Rhyno posted:

My old Samsung CB has an SD slot but the card sticks out 1/3 of the way when inserted (as designed). Has that changed? I tossed it in a backpack and snapped the card reader in half once.

This is entirely model-dependant and is not limited to CBs. Transcend has made their "JetDrive" shortened SD cards for various Macs (because of course different Macs should have different SD card depths! :downs:) but there are also adapters if you don't mind using your own microSD cards. Also there are low-profile USB flash drives (e.g. Sandisk Cruzer Fit) that barely project and may suffice for your needs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

On my 2+ year old Chromebook the card fits flush ymmv

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Got it. I figured it was a dumb design choice. I have a 128gig card here, I should buy a new CB to put it in.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Got it. I figured it was a dumb design choice. I have a 128gig card here, I should buy a new CB to put it in.

I got the asus c302 and the GF loves it. I do too as far as hardware capability but if I get one myself i would get something like the asus c434 which is very similar in capability except better at linux and much smaller bezels on screen

E: the micro sd card sits flush in the c302, btw- as it has on every asus i've owned for the last 6 years. PS, anybody want to buy my x205t with charger? lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

how much are you seeing that lenovo for and what do you want besides more than 32g storage?

Well, the c630 exists as a FHD model and with 64GB, that might qualify as "cheap"..? (hence the quotation marks)

Didn't know about this site, thanks! I see it might actually exist now in 2019 (don't like the HP chromebooks though...)

I use the SD card solution on one Toshiba Chromebook I've got, but.. it's just, 32 GB is just a tad small for regular Linuxing, 64 or greater would be neat, and it's a bit turn off not being able to use the SD card slot for anything else than /home at the same time..

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tankakern posted:

Didn't know about this site, thanks! I see it might actually exist now in 2019 (don't like the HP chromebooks though...)

I use the SD card solution on one Toshiba Chromebook I've got, but.. it's just, 32 GB is just a tad small for regular Linuxing, 64 or greater would be neat, and it's a bit turn off not being able to use the SD card slot for anything else than /home at the same time..

It's not the only CB listing/catalog I've seen, but it's one I've used before and the first one I could find, I'm just not sure how thorough it is. If you take a look at the plethora of CBs going back to 2011, you'll see how they're just kind of snowballing so I haven't kept track of individual models. I still personally use a HP 13 from 2016 most often, because despite its age it works exactly like every other CB, which is of course one of the huge advantages of the platform.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

In my Acer R11 it sits flush.

In my mid-2014 MacBook Pro, a machine that is better designed in nearly every way (and was four times the price), the SD card sticks out. :v:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

asecondduck posted:

In my Acer R11 it sits flush.

In my mid-2014 MacBook Pro, a machine that is better designed in nearly every way (and was four times the price), the SD card sticks out. :v:

thats funny you say that.

Statutory Ape posted:

E: the micro sd card sits flush in the c302

because the regular SD card in my xps 13 sticks out quite a bit.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Whatever loving dumb poo poo update they shoved down the stable pipe for c302 yesterday disabled my wired headphone jack completely.

Between that and the trackpad and/or keyboard randomly not functioning when I open the screen up, I'm getting pretty annoyed. Now that school is done for the moment, I might just do a full power wash and try to remember how to set up an application in it's own dedicated window.

Saint Jerome
Sep 14, 2004

I will unite the Jews!

MC Hawking posted:

Whatever loving dumb poo poo update they shoved down the stable pipe for c302 yesterday disabled my wired headphone jack completely.

Between that and the trackpad and/or keyboard randomly not functioning when I open the screen up, I'm getting pretty annoyed. Now that school is done for the moment, I might just do a full power wash and try to remember how to set up an application in it's own dedicated window.

I just had the trackpad issue on my Pixelbook. It may not be just a c302 issue.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Try a hardware reset first.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Just an FYI, I've had an issue recently where on login the Chromebook will ask me to set up an account. i.e when I go to enter my password it will give an error and ask me to enter my account details. First time it happened I did this and it basically power washed the Chromebook, which was annoying. Second time I turned it off and was able to log in normally.

Hopefully if this is a thing that saves someone else an unexpected power wash.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If I want a ChromeBook that's either 13", or 14" with a narrow bezel, 1080p, and so far 4GB of RAM has been fine for me but 8 wouldn't hurt, what are some choices? Regardless of price points.

I got an Acer CB14 a couple of months ago with an N3160, wouldn't mind a little more horsepower but it's been okay for $220 so far. Biggest thing I don't like is the wide bezel, it's like a 14" screen in a 15" chassis.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If I want a ChromeBook that's either 13", or 14" with a narrow bezel, 1080p, and so far 4GB of RAM has been fine for me but 8 wouldn't hurt, what are some choices? Regardless of price points.

I got an Acer CB14 a couple of months ago with an N3160, wouldn't mind a little more horsepower but it's been okay for $220 so far. Biggest thing I don't like is the wide bezel, it's like a 14" screen in a 15" chassis.

Personally the Asus C434 jumps to mind given that screen size and ram-range requirements. Acer Chromebook Spin 13 as well.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

seconding Asus c434. Google it and you'll see why

the only thing that bugs me is that it's 3.5 lbs but that's absolutely on par with other high end chromebooks

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
The wired headphone thing fixed itself after being power cycled a half dozen times.

What the gently caress.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

MC Hawking posted:

The wired headphone thing fixed itself after being power cycled a half dozen times.

What the gently caress.

thats chromebookism :shrug:

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

seconding Asus c434

Actually while we're on the subject, the higher end Asus C434s (i.e. 8gb ram or greater) seem noticeably hard to actually find, especially up here in Canada. I'm keenly holding on for one (and conveniently seeing if there are any major-model wide issues).

This isn't the first time we've spoken about this, Acer did the same thing with the Chromebook Spin 13 (and jokes on them because it gave the C434 time to be announced and now I'm waiting for that). Still... jesus, it's 2019, people don't like to wait in this particular way. I'd pre-order it direct from them or on a seriously major (Amazon, Newegg sized) retailer if it were a reliable option.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm hoping for a Prime Day deal on the C434. Unlikely but I'll pull the trigger if they do a price break.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'm selling my old chromebook and just wanted to make sure a Powerwash is enough to securely erase it, and if not, what should I do?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Humerus posted:

I'm selling my old chromebook and just wanted to make sure a Powerwash is enough to securely erase it, and if not, what should I do?

I'd think so but if you're really concerned, I'd download some Linux ISOs (seriously, actual Linux .iso files as they can be large) to fill the storage after powerwashing, then powerwash again. Overwriting the memory can eliminate most attempts to restore data from it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Humerus posted:

That will suffice, all CBs have TPMs and use encryption. Note that when you Powerwash it will probably ask you if you want to update the TPM's firmware to patch a bug if that wasn't already done (go ahead and do that as well.)

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

How about this same exact question except price point is $300? Trying to get something for my mom who really just needs some streaming and basic web functionality.

Jewce fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Jewce posted:

How about this same exact question except price point is $300? Trying to get something for my mom who really just needs some streaming and basic web functionality.

At this point I wish I knew which Acer chromebook specifically was available for around that in Costco (actually in costco, not online). EDIT: You'll have to compromise on the bezel thing

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 25, 2019